More details on Ryan Harrow’s transfer to Georgia State

Doug Robertson of the Atlanta Journal published an article this morning shedding light on more of the details of Ryan Harrow’s transfer to Georgia State. According to Robertson, Harrow is going to petition the NCAA for the right to play in the 2013-2014 season, instead of having to sit out another year due to the transfer.

Robertson also says that Harrow is transferring because his father suffered a stroke before the 2012 basketball season and is still in poor health. If the NCAA grants Harrow permission to play due to this hardship, he would still have 2 years of eligibility remaining.

“I really need to be home with him to be closer to him to make sure he’s taken care of,” Harrow said. Harrow’s father is a big basketball fan and the move would allow him the chance to see Ryan play closer to home.

Harrow had nothing but positive things to say about his time at Kentucky. “I got better there,” he said. “I built some relationships there. I know next year we would have been really good. It was just real important for me to be with my Dad. With him being sick like this, I needed to be here with him.”

Article written by Ally Tucker

I once successfully requested "The Wobble" to be played 6 times at one wedding.

100 Comments for More details on Ryan Harrow’s transfer to Georgia State

1. Smart Person
    11:17 am March 31, 2013 Permalink

NCAA better grant this. Wish him and his dad the best.

2. macsauce13
    11:19 am March 31, 2013 Permalink

Wish him the best.

3. Nick
    11:19 am March 31, 2013 Permalink

Such a great kid. Wish he could have stayed but the circumstances obviously don’t permit it. Hopefully all UK fans will understand and don’t harass him.

4. DLN
    11:20 am March 31, 2013 Permalink

Wow. Great unselfish kid.

5. Bill
    11:22 am March 31, 2013 Permalink

Remeber all the fans who bashed him at the beginning if the year bc he left the team, saying he wasn’t tough enough. Eat crow. Again as always everyone’s speculations were wrong, as they were with liggins when he sat out, and as they were when jones sat out. Cal likes to keep things private and I’m glad he respects that for the players.

6. ukfaninwv
    11:22 am March 31, 2013 Permalink

Perhaps explains his erratic play this year. Kind of hard to play ball when your mind is on your family. Kid definitely has talent, and I hope the best for him.

7. Eight Letters
    11:23 am March 31, 2013 Permalink

Thank you Ryan for giving so much to the Kentucky program. I wish your Dad great health and that you will get to keep playing ball for many more years. Please come back and visit sometime….you will ALWAYS be a part of the Wildcat family.

8. bankshot
    11:23 am March 31, 2013 Permalink

As a father of a son that makes me really respect the kid. Good luck Ryan.

9. James B
    11:24 am March 31, 2013 Permalink

Was this the mystery illness at the beginning of the season? If so, they should have released it so that he would not have gotten so much grief. Of course, I understand not wanting the ‘human interest’ spotlight that would have come with it as well.

Good luck Ryan. God bless

10. Ksu
    11:25 am March 31, 2013 Permalink

I told you MFers.

11. Joel Lobb
    11:26 am March 31, 2013 Permalink

Glad that worked out for all parties. I wish him the best

12. KG
    11:28 am March 31, 2013 Permalink

Ryan,I pray for a complete recovery for your father and hope that He gets to see you play at Georgia State. Best of luck to you and your family in the future. Thanks for your time at UK.

13. kybb
    11:29 am March 31, 2013 Permalink

Wish him the best of luck. I always liked him even though he didn’t always produce on the court.

14. Reader
    11:29 am March 31, 2013 Permalink

5 – his dad had the stroke before LAST season (2011-2012). Eat your own crow

15. davefromdagap
    11:30 am March 31, 2013 Permalink

Good luck to the kid. Hope he finds success and more importantly, Happiness. His issues have never had anything to do with talent..he has plenty. Just think he’s not mentally tough enough for this stage. Most kids aint. And Im sure his fathers health issues have not helped. Goid luck Young Sir.

16. Han
    11:31 am March 31, 2013 Permalink

Hopefully he’ll be allowed to play and enjoy the rest of his basketball career.

17. DA
    11:33 am March 31, 2013 Permalink

That sucks, we really could of used him next year, he would have provided a lot of competition in practice, even if he didn’t play much. Would have made team better.

18. xhgd
    11:35 am March 31, 2013 Permalink

All the best for the future, Ryan. I think this’ll be a better fit for him and he’ll be a lot happier.

19. BigBlueFan
    11:36 am March 31, 2013 Permalink

Big Blue Nation lets go to work, lets get Harrow to play next year. #LetHarrowPlay

20. Austin
    11:37 am March 31, 2013 Permalink

Good luck to him. Wish him nothing but the best. Will have to check him and Stacey Poole out next year here in Atlanta! I am sure he will be eligible next year, the NCAA only hates on kids like Enes haha. Best wishes to Ryan and his family.

21. UKGrad83
    11:37 am March 31, 2013 Permalink

The freaking NCAA better approve his petition. They are supposed to be all about the student athlete. If they don’t approve this, we’ll know for sure they don’t have the best interest of the student in mind.

Good luck and God Bless Ryan.

22. Aaron
    11:38 am March 31, 2013 Permalink

Much better fit for his ability level. Maybe he can simply enjoy playing basketball .

23. BBN
    11:39 am March 31, 2013 Permalink

Good luck to Ryan and his family. Thank you for your time at UK and you will always be a part of #LaFamilia

24. StaceyPooleTransfer
    11:39 am March 31, 2013 Permalink

Come on down Ryan, this is the home for UK transfers!

25. BPsycho
    11:39 am March 31, 2013 Permalink

#14 Yeah that year or so makes such a huge difference…

26. Austin
    11:39 am March 31, 2013 Permalink

Also, I hope Harrow finds peace and happiness his last two years of college. Seems like a good kid. He showed flashes this year, he just needs to gain confidence in himself. Don’t believe the people that said you weren’t good enough to play at Kentucky. Not everything is always that cut and dry. Things happen for a reason, and I hope he can find his way at Georgia State.

27. leftygilmore
    11:42 am March 31, 2013 Permalink

Terrible to find out and best of luck to you Harrow. Prayers for your dad. Regardless, you didnt have the talent for KY. GL @ Georgia State.

28. Tom Blevins
    11:44 am March 31, 2013 Permalink

Ryan, I know something of what you’re going through. My dad died of a stroke nearly 30 years ago. I still miss him. I hope and pray that your dad will make a full recovery, and I’m sure it will be a help to him to have you closer to home. Thank you for the time you spent at Kentucky. We won more games with you running the point than we would have won without you. I hope the NCAA grants your appeal to have instant elgibility and wish you and your new team much success. Wouldn’t it be great if we met in the NCAA championship game a year from now. God bless and keep you and your dad in His care, always.

29. Kevin C.
    11:45 am March 31, 2013 Permalink

This is just mind-boggling to me. We’re in an age where kids…and adults…Tweet out a myriad of banal crap every day, as if anyone cares about the boring minutia of their lives…and make a mockery of “social media”. Yet, with such a high-profile kid, at the highest profile school on the planet, we NEVER heard ANYTHING about Ryan’s father. You’d think Calipari could have convinced Ryan that, given his up-and-down play, the fans would be more than understanding, if they knew the truth.

Ryan, I apologize for giving you such a hard time this year. Lord knows I wouldn’t be able to function normally on a daily basis, if my father been in poor health at your age. I still don’t know if you were a good fit at UK as the starting PG, but you are a great kid nonetheless, and I wish you and your family the best in the future.

30. whodat
    11:46 am March 31, 2013 Permalink

For some of you young pups you have just seen a lesson in publicity 101. Take a bad situation, cause people to FEEL sympathy and it changes the whole dynamic. I hope RH gets everything in order, on and off the court, but it is the best for all concerned regardless of the real or perceived catalyst.

31. bmt22033
    11:46 am March 31, 2013 Permalink

Harrow seems like a good kid who just wasn’t a good for Kentucky. Not to minimize his father’s health problems but obviously there’s more to him transferring than that alone. Regardless, I wish him the best. Hopefully he’ll find happiness and success at Georgia State. Now Dominique Hawkins, come on down!

32. diggerphelps
    11:48 am March 31, 2013 Permalink

Good luck Ryan! Now, I wanna say that my wife and I have taken Wiggens under our wing…kinda like a son! We will truly try to get him to UK but he is…..(stop me if you’ve heard this before)!

33. El Pollo Loco
    11:49 am March 31, 2013 Permalink

Best of luck and God Bless. I truly hope he’ll look back on his time at UK fondly. Though he didn’t play in games, he was a part of a championship team. Can’t take that away from him.

34. jimmer
    11:52 am March 31, 2013 Permalink

what a great kid, wish him the best and although its the right move.. we’ll miss him

35. he says she
    11:53 am March 31, 2013 Permalink

Best of luck with you and your dad Ryan!

36. Rich
    11:55 am March 31, 2013 Permalink

Watch the NCAA show their ass!

37. blackhawk509
    11:56 am March 31, 2013 Permalink

Hope all will work out for Ryan and his father. When he was on his game…the best point guard in college this year, We only got to see one year, and I’ll take Ryan Harrow over that Siva shizzle over a career. Ryan d-league and up…Siva euro ball at best.

38. bort
    11:59 am March 31, 2013 Permalink

I certainly wish Ryan best of luck. But count me in as one who is skeptical about this situation. Obviously, I don’t doubt that his Dad had a stroke. But lots of people have strokes and get along quite fine. If the stroke had been very serious, we would have known about it. Me thinks that Cal and Harrow are using the “stroke,” which happened 2 years ago, to grease the skids for Harrow to obtain 2 years of eligibility at his hometown school. With that said, I think it was clear that Harrow was over-matched in the SEC and that Ga. State should suit him well. This situation also demonstrates how important the point guard position is in modern college basketball. Every team who is left in the NCAA tourney has a quality point guard, while many have gaping holes at other positions.

39. Reader
    12:01 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

Wow some of you people really have a hard time reading. Ryan’s absence at the beginning of THIS season was NOT due to his dad’s stroke, which occurred before LAST season. Get off your moral high horses and read correctly please.

40. John
    12:06 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

Ryan best of luck to you and your family Owensboro BBN will miss you!

41. TBone
    12:07 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

@24 Stacey Poole is a Georgia Tech, not Georgia State. Why I bother correcting a troll is an issue unto itself…

42. NCAA
    12:07 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

Not so fast my friends. Something smells rotten in Denmark. An investigation into UK basketball team is in order. Probation is coming, just wait.

43. John Ellis
    12:08 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

Ryan played very well in some big games, and not as well in others. His missed drives against Vandy were key as he said. It’s quite possible to accept that he is going to help his father as well as admitting that UK was too hot a spotlight. Hope that the NCAA will grant that – if he was coming here from Georgia State they’d never allow it. This means Hawkins’ scholarship of course is open now.

Can we thank Harrow for a graceful exit? UK isn’t for everyone and he could have stayed and gotten a ring even if not playing much.

44. Ryanno
    12:10 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

LOL…you fools will believe anything…as for me I’m glad this sucker is leaving…no more disappearing acts!

45. Ryan H.
    12:10 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

BBN is so stupid. Of course I was forced to leave.

46. jus sayin
    12:11 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

Is this why he missed those games early on?

47. Ryan H.
    12:12 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

The truth is out there. When I was at UK, speak no evil. I will tell the NCAA the truth.

48. C-A-T-S
    12:15 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

Once a Cat, always a Cat!!! Good luck Harrow! BBN will always be behind you!!!!

49. Ryan H.
    12:15 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

$$$

50. sooo
    12:15 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

So does this mean hawkins gets the scholly now

51. Ksu
    12:16 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

Jarrod should have started & played all year. I told you he was out doing him from jump. But cal had to play him & in the end ….gotta go little man.

52. Minchia lorda
    12:16 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

But at the end of he RM game, he said he wanted to come back. I guess his talk with Cal played into it as well. I thought he was going to graduate and transfer as a graduate student. Does this mean he will not finish his trm at UK?

53. Gavin S.
    12:16 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

Everyone is so magnanimous now. Gee, what a bunch of great fans.

54. lookatthistardfanaboveme
    12:17 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

Hey, Card fan with the handle NCAA, go f*%# yourself. You trolls can keep wishing but there will never be a reason to cheat at Kentucky. Why? Because it’s Kentucky and we’re simply better than you. So whatever you smell is most likely the bullsh*t coming out of your own mouth. DIAF

55. Ryan H.
    12:18 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

So Matt Jones is going to talk about me tomorrow. BBN Boosters, you best talk to him.

56. NKY_UK_fan
    12:20 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

Lots of factors played into this decision. On/Off the court distractions, not a fit for UK, and he would hardly play at all next year.

57. lookatthistatdfanaboveme
    12:21 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

UK is too good at covering things up. We spend $ to make sure the NCAA will not discover anything!

58. Mike
    12:22 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

This should be a win for both UK and the Harrell family. He should be closer to his father if his father is in medical need. His personality will be better suited for a smaller stage. Now, let’s hope we hear something of the same for Poythress. He hasn’t earned a return trip because he didn’t really want to engage this past year and with all of this talent and positive mindset coming he would only be a negative influence.

59. lookatthistardfanaboveme
    12:22 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

To the troll posting with the handle Ryan H. doesn’t it suck that your favorite is not and will never be on Kentucky’s level? Sad, envious people…

60. 45 and 47
    12:23 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

I tried to get into U ofL but couldn’t pass their entrance exam…..I kept coloring outside the lines.

61. Smitty
    12:24 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

14- the article says 2012 season, which to me would be the 2012-2013 season… Got anything that says otherwise?

62. EpistemicCertainty
    12:25 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

Hurray!

63. ==== OL' PIX ====
    12:26 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

====

I’ll miss Ryan Harrow like I’d miss a bad headache !

But, I wish his father well …….

Now, if only Willhe Callhim Frank-n-Stein, Alex Iwearadress, and Archie Ican’twin will choose where they’re going I’ll be happy,happy,happy as Phil would say !!!

====

64. EpistemologicalHumility
    12:26 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

I’m not sure that this is a good decisions for Ryan or UK.

65. H.A. Milton
    12:27 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

Not buying the story presented to save face. When he left the team with a ‘mono-like’ illness at the beginning of the year it was just that. Coincidentally, if you Google ‘Mono-like illness’ it clearly states the definition: Bitchassness. Good Riddance, you hijacked the program with your cotton candy spine, Harrow.

66. Mike's Mom
    12:28 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

Mike, you Card fan. Time to be further exposed. The reason Mike did go through a divorce is because his nature to be a bit of rage without his meds.

Good luck to you Harrow.

67. The know
    12:29 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

Rumor has it Harrow has a serious medical condition he is dealing with.

68. Ryan H.
    12:31 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

Soon one of the assistants will get a new job (ask to leave) .

69. tyrus
    12:34 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

Some kids can handle being a Wildcat and some kids can’t.

70. doug
    12:39 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

Good luck Ryan.

71. jumpman78
    12:42 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

We truly have some idiot fans that patrol this website. Jesus H. Christ, some of you are whack jobs.

72. IFellLikeScumNow
    12:46 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

Good luck Ryan!!! I apologize.

73. Woo's Gummy Snacks
    12:48 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

I wish you the best ryan….I hope all is well, i hope you have everything you want in life and i thank you for your time spent being a wildcat. take care buddy

74. Rixter
    12:55 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

Thank you Dr Bart for your stroke recovery diagnosis.

75. Coach O
    12:58 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

Tks BBN for everything.

76. Rixter
    1:05 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

#58 it’s Ryan Harrow, not Montrez Harrell who is transferring.

77. EASTER EGGS FOR EVERYONE!
    1:07 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

The UK Basketball Team has just resurfaced out of it’s own grave.

The hijack is now over. You may resume your daily lives.

78. Winston Churchill
    1:12 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

Lol, some of you are so gullible. But the best of luck to Ryan, and I hope his petition goes through. And I hope he’s learned his lesson, or the same thing will happen at Georgia State.

79. Platinum Unis
    1:14 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

Where does it say before the 2011-2012 season? What I read says before the 2012 season. Last I heard, this current season began in 2012.

80. Dannielle
    1:18 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

I don’t think that any of you people can honestly believe that he is leaving by choice. Seriously??

81. Easter Has A Way Of Revealing Life Out of Death
    1:18 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

So we sacrificed a season for a kid. OK… 1 every 20 years sounds like it’s tolerable.

Forget about the fanbase, I hope his teammates can forgive him.

––––

By the way, Alex Poythress is still in the dog house. This isn’t all on Ryan. But then, the entire fanbase knowns that (and we weren’t even there during practice).

We saw effort during the games. You know… the “I’d rather be flipping burgers at Wendy’s” kind of effort.

82. Kevin Mccracken
    1:45 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

Wow a unselfish college bball player…..

83. pervis
    1:47 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

this is a rodrick rhodes situation!

84. Mark
    1:48 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

I wish Ryan all the best. Thanks for your contributions to the Kentucky Basketball Program.

85. GYERO
    2:56 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

Yeah I call BS. Where was all of this stroked out dad talk during the season? Good bye ryan you puss!

86. Shawn
    3:11 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

If Harrow would have stayed until May and graduated he wouldn’t have to sit out a year. Best of luck to the young man and I think Its very honorable that he wants to be close to his father at this time. Now we all know why he went home at the beginning of the season and seemed distracted all year long. His fathers stroke happened at the beginning of the season.

87. Shawn
    3:17 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

85 – Some people don’t want their family business out on parade for an entire season. Could you really fault the man for not wanting his fathers condition paraded In the press for the entire season? Personally, If my father had a stroke, It would be In the back of my mind 24/7 and I wouldn’t want the media and everyone else asking about It everyday. A few months ago my father who Is diabetic had major kidney failure. We didn’t think he was going to make It as It was causing the rest of his organs to shut down. I didnt tell my work specifically about It, I just told them I had a serious family issue I needed to take some time off for. IT was hard enough dealing with It without having everyone I work with asking me about It everyday. Different strokes for different folks.

88. Shawn
    3:22 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

And whoever said his father had the stroke before the 2011 Is wrong. He had the stroke at the begining of the 2012 season (this past season) and that Is the issue he went home to deal with. You can believe what you want but your showing how little you know.

89. UK Freshmen
    3:29 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

Now that Cal has stooped so low to blame the ‘transfer’ on a parental stroke, the good Lord will never be on our side.

90. dave
    3:38 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

This is typical Cal. Putting a spin on the transfer process to save face. This let’s it seem as if Cal did not make a mistake in bringing Harrow by making it seem that the reason that RH is transferring is family related as opposed to Harrow not being Elite material.

I don’t know if RH is a bad egg or not but I’ve heard that Harrow wasn’t going to play next year at Kentucky no matter what. There were issues.

This is all just spin.

91. dave
    3:40 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

He didn’t blame it on the stroke. This is a manner of crafting the message by which Cal and RH save face.

92. Platinum Unis
    3:45 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

86 – Harrow was never on pace to graduate this year.

93. BBB
    8:52 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

I agree that this is both a sad story and at the same time, total spin. While we hope the best for Ryan and his family….the reason he left early in the year is because he and Goodwin can’t stand each other. It was so bad that Harrow quit and went home…period. Cal had no point guard so he talked him into coming back….Then Cal had to baby him all year and everyone hated the situation.(Remember the ‘hijack the program’ referance by Cal?) Basically it turned into TEAM TURMOIL.
    5 bucks says Matt knows this.

94. kentuckyrules
    8:57 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

Gotta love the ‘know-it-all’ fans who claim that most of us are being fooled. Yeah, your gut is so smart guys, just like you KNOW your wife is faithful, but likes to go out late at night to run ‘errands’. Good luck with that gut feeling.

95. Roman
    9:02 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

KSR, you do a pitiful job monitoring your comment sections. It’s one thing to let all opinions be represented, but it’s another thing to turn a blind eye… I would strongly consider a DISQUS commenting service so we can see the faces of the losers posting here.

96. kentuckyrules
    9:07 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

93: Gut feeling? or proof? Anyone can just make up a storyline….

97. Egg Layer
    9:54 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

If this is the only reason he is leaving….then this was an absolutee derous public relations move byUKI know, and the rest of you guys who read posts and post on here that at the first of the year if he came out and told everyone about his father’s stroke and struggling recovery, we as a fanbase would have backed him and his family to the ends of the Earth and back. We as a fanbase would have supported Ryan’s decision to go back home and be with his family 100000000% during those 2 weeks. Instead, if this is all true, we were given a story of a mystery illness and then family issues during the time when he left the team. I know that Ryan or UK don’t have to tell us as fans anything as it is there business, but you know in this soap opera that we the fans embrace as Kentucky basketball there is no need to drop a snowball off the top of Mount Everest cause’ when it gets to the bottom with all the speculation and here say it becomes too large to melt in oneday it stays with you all year. I cannot see any reason UK or Coach Cal would have allowed the circus that took place during those 2 weeks and scrutiny it put on Ryan if there was not something else internal involved. With all this being said, I can understand if Ryan’s mind was on his father he would have mental lapses like he did this year, but there is no excuse for his soft play. There were times this year he wouldn’t drive the ball and break down defenses because he clearly didn’t want to play through contact. Also, there were times this year when he went to ther rim he was so worried about being hit that he would release the ball early and blow the layup. I do wish Ryan the best, but at the current stat of our program he is NOT an elite point guard and needs to get alot stronger with the ball. I also hope in the future if we have an incident similar to this it is handled publicy by UK, but I cannot help to think that there was not some underlying issues not made public that led to his transfer.

98. Egg Layer
    9:57 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

derous= blunderous
    stat= state

corrections for above sorry i ain’t a riter

riter= writer

99. Egg Layer
    9:58 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

absolutee= absolutely

correction…

100. Mad
    4:11 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Woah! I’m really loving the template/theme of this website. It’s simple, yet effective. A lot of times it’s tough to get that “perfect balance” between superb usability and appearance. I must say you have done a superb job with this. Additionally, the blog loads super fast for me on Firefox. Outstanding Blog!