Monday’s Football Press Conference Notes and Podcast

The mood at today’s press conferece was expectedly somber after Saturday’s blowout loss at Arkansas. Head coach Joker Phillips discussed a host of things including: the team’s performance against the Razorbacks, Patrick Towles being upgraded from out to doubtful, and what his team can expect to see from a top-20 UGA team. Take a look.

***********************************

-Phillips was asked a couple of questions about his job security and his relationship with athletic director Mitch Barnhart. Phillips said he and Barnhart speak “a couple of times a week, but it’s mostly small talk. He’s very encouraging.” When asked if they ever discuss his job security, Phillips said “No, we don’t.”

-The Courier-Journal’s Kyle Tucker put a request in to meet with Barnhart regarding Phillips’ position as head coach, but was denied. UK said “there’s no new ground,” and that Phillips, like every other coach, will be evaluated at the end of their team’s season.

C Matt Smith expects that teams will do continue to do what Arkansas’ defense did on Saturday. The Razorbacks blitzed often, showed different fronts, and complex coverages in order to force QB Jalen Whitlow into quick decisions. Smith said the offensive line’s game plan doesn’t change, though. “They brought a lot of things we weren’t expecting, but we still have to get it blocked and keep [Whitlow] upright regardless.”

-Smith doesn’t think any of his teammates have given up on this season. He said he helps having so many young guys playing because they are kind of naive to exactly what’s going on. “They know they have a long career coming up here at UK, and they just want to show the coaches what they are capable of.”

DE Collins Ukwu reiterated that his senior teammates are going to continue to fight for each other. “We just got keep playing hard. I know it sounds repetitive, but that’s all we really can do at this point.”

LB Avery Williamson said the plane ride coming home was “pretty bad.” Williamson said no one really said much, and the delays the team faced made it even worse.

-Williamson said it helps to see how positive the coaches are even with their record. “It helps to see them positive, even with the current situation. It helps us continue to want to fight, too.”

******************************************************

In today’s podcast, Matt and the gang talk about UK/Arkansas, Big Blue Madness, and some Barnhart chatter. Have a listen.

Article written by Rashawn Franklin

30 Comments for Monday’s Football Press Conference Notes and Podcast

1. Ukalum
    3:14 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

Basically Barnhart will allow uk to suffer through four more games and the SEC east basement bowl against Tennessee before being pressured into firing joker. Then after crying for week for having to lose his best friend joker, he will begin to look through the coaching scraps of Auburn, Tennessee, and probably wku after taggart gets picked up by a BCS school. Maybe if they talked a little more football in those meetings instead of small talk, we wouldn’t have a dumpster fire for a football program.

2. charlie strong
    3:17 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

Uk is the anal cavity of college football.

3. Big Blue Coming at You
    3:23 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

Both Barnhart and Joker should’ve been fired when they got off the plane. No excuse for quitting.

4. Doug
    3:26 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

Better start getting the resume together Joker… Nowhere to go but up.

5. DDT
    3:34 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

I hope they do retain Joker! That way they will FIRE MITCH next year to!

6. Katdaddy
    3:35 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

yall pitiful!

7. Fans
    3:36 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

Just speak right back to Mitch UK fna’s… Z E R O support of this program untill there is change.
    If he doesn’t listen…Then stop supporting the BASKETBALL program..See how fast Mitch’s Asz is out the door then…

8. RealCatsFan
    3:44 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

Joker’s press conference = massive waste of bandwidth.

You can’t be friends with your employee and expect to have any sense of accountability. Just doesn’t work well.

9. jaws2
    3:48 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

Towles has NO business playing; File the medical redshirt for the kid and let him transfer out. Barnhart has already made his decision, Joker is staying. The table of excuses has already been set. We’ve got 46 freshmen, all of our QB’s are injured, and we just don’t have enough game experience with the returning players. It’s unfortunate for the program, but I believe it’s true.

10. ehhh
    3:49 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

@7.. No way people stop supporting the bball team.

11. SteveM
    3:52 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

My god! Why do they continue to hold these things? #3 and 5–you nailed it. This program is a laughing-stock in college football. I bet Trinity would give them a good game.

12. goUKats
    3:55 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

Ukwu stated that he and his senior teammates will continue to fight.My question is when ? They haven’t even srarted,so i guess they will start the fight when the season is over.

13. Musehobo
    4:03 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

Do you really think this is how a conversation goes in a meeting between Mitch and Joker?

Mitch: “Big Gulps huh? Well…see ya later!”

Of course they talk about Joker’s job. But if Joker admits Mitch has told him unless something changes, he’s probably gone, he looks like a fool to his players and the state.
    Some of you all take the fact that Mitch hasn’t fired him yet, as a sign he’s going to keep him. Trust me, Joker will be gone at the end of the season. Yes, I wouldn’t mind canning him now either. But from UK’s point of view, it really wouldn’t help them. Plus, think about this. Would you want to date someone who cheated to be with you? Then why would you want to coach for someone who may fire you mid-season?

14. Yab
    4:04 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

Why is that guy still having press conferences on Mondays? As a matter of fact, why is he still coaching here? Petrino will be setting there in a few weeks.

15. Hoss Cartwright
    4:21 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

Somebody else above said it–Mitch B. is too close to Joker. I believe at some point in the past he even said ‘I love Joker Phillips’. Employer and employee cannot have a relationship like that because it’s too difficult to cut ties when it comes time to do so.

16. Computer Blue
    4:31 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

Whatever Mitch and Rick saw in Joker to think he was ready to be a head coach I have yet to see.

17. tankercat
    4:37 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

Hey #2 you will get no argument from me about that. I thank God for the weather last Saturday, coulda been 70-7 if he hadn’t had mercy on us.

18. Kaler
    4:44 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

Mitch is the real problem here folks. Do you think Joker is gonna quit? No way and our AD doesn’t have the smarts to be an SEC AD and certainly doesn’t have the sack to be one. Mitch is fine when it comes to soccer, backgammon, swimming, checkers, etc.. but SEC football is a big boys sport. Lets all remember the only big hire he has ever made was BCG. He had almost nothing to do with Cal coming here. Who knows who he would have hired? Joker needs to go but so does Barney.

19. Mitch Barnfart
    4:48 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

Ya’ll need to shut up! I make 600k a year and I am smarter than anyone on here so ha ha! I know how to build programs just look at our state of the art swimming facilities and our world champion girls hop scotch team. Gosh you microwave fans need to chill out.

20. Carl Childers
    4:53 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

Hey even Joe B and Denny were making fun of UK Football on this mornings show. I talked to a former player from way back today and he said word is that if Mitch doesn’t start showing some leadership and fix this than he could also be on the hot seat. We will see I guess. I’d love to get an AD that cares about and knows football. If keeping Joker one more year means we get rid of both??? Sounds good to me.

21. Plzfirethisman
    5:58 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

I’m getting sooooooooo sick of having to listen to this dumbass everytime I get on ksr to read about basketball. I wouldn’t give a rats a$$ if they completely did away with the football team. Basketball is and always will be the only thing that matters in this state. But I’m sick of even hearing about Joker… Joker this and joker that.. His name fits him so well because he def is a complete joke. Our football team is also a complete joke. They are an embarrassment to this city and state and all just need to give up on football. Seriously.. Plz forfeit the rest of the season. Georgetown college would beat the shit out of you jokes.

22. highflyer
    5:58 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

plane ride? they should have returned in a motorcade of short buses.

23. Plzfirethisman
    6:00 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

If joker is kept for another season….. I would completely boycott ky football. Thank the good lord above for basketball season!!!

24. Mr. Obvious
    6:10 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

” Williamson said it helps to see how positive the coaches are even with their record. “It helps to see them positive, even with the current situation. It helps us continue to want to fight, too.”

It’s easy to stay positive, when you know you’re earning about $155k/ game…win or lose.

25. barn
    6:21 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

joker will be back. he has a pile of excuses to justify this season. we can boycott all we want but UK still rakes in the big sec $$

26. Dustin Cordell
    6:59 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

I interviewed former UK player Zipp Duncan earlier today about the State of the program and Joker, all I can say is the man is not happy. Will have article up tomorrow on my website

27. carnifex
    7:20 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

To those saying what good would firing Joker now do. If you really are that stupid let me list a few reasons to get your 2 brain cells firing.

1) The fans would KNOW, not guess, speculate, rumormonger, they would KNOW that something, anything is being done.

2) Barney the Jackass makes 600K a year. He can act like a SEC AD for once in his miserable life and EARN that big paycheck.

3) It would allow some fans to actually show up to the games and cheer the players, who are the ones really being screwed over by Barney and Mitch. I’m sure they signed on to be coached by this effing trainwreck.

4) He could start the search early to get a new coach…put feelers out there. I can bet you $10 Barney hasn’t even done that much yet. He’s still hiding under his effing desk.

5) He can assure recruits that yes we are getting serious about football, so don’t go anywhere else.

The biggest problem with all this is no one in their right minds thinks that Barney is gonna’ do the right thing no matter what. If he fell into the right thing by accident he would quickly back out of it, and right into the s^&*hole he’d go again. He’s a effing liar, a shyster, and a bean counter that no good coach would ever want to work for. Any promises he made can’t be believed. “Yeah, we’re gonna’ spend as much on football recruiting as BBL” “Sure, you can hire your own staff(as long as you keep him, and him…oh, and him)” “No, I promise I’ll pull out before I do anything”( Barney and Ricky P use that one)

And build a goddamn recruiting room. Take it out of his own pocket if he has to but geez do something.

To top off this cluster foxtrot we got Cappucino barring kids from tailgating. “Hey! You kids! Get offa’ my lawn!” Who the hell would want to come to this cluster?

Burn the whole goddamn thing down and start from scratch.

28. charlie strong
    8:43 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

I said earlier UK is the anal cavity…Well UofL is the brown stuff that comes out of the anal cavity. And whenever I speak, I sound like I have a mouth full of sh*t.

29. Imac