Monday’s Football Press Conference Notes and Today’s Podcast

Here’s Coach Phillips’ press conference in full. It has some pretty intense moments, but also some funny ones.  A must watch after Saturday’s loss.

*************

Injury Report: CB Cartier Rice (thigh bruise), RB CoShik Williams (hip; won’t practice until Thursday), LT Darrian Miller (ankle) are all day-to-day. LB Josh Forrest (hip flexor) is doubtful.

-DE Collins Ukwu said team feels like they now have a clean slate. “The real season starts now, in our minds we’re 0-0 going into SEC play.”

-Ukwu said WKU loss was the “toughest way to lose a game.” But that team has to move on.

-Ukwu on run defense: “We are getting better. Every game there has been an improvement, and we have to continue to get better stopping the run.” Kentucky’s next opponent, Florida, is 23rd in the nation in rushing offense. They have averaged 232.67/game, so far this season. Yikes.

-LB Avery Williamson on the struggles of the defense: “It’s hard to swallow when you put so much time and effort into being a good unit. We have to get better, and I think we will.”

-When asked if the team would play for each other or for Phillips’ future Williamson said “We just have to play for each other.” Williamson doesn’t think team can afford to think about their coach’s job security, “we can’t really worry about it.”

*************

Matt and Ryan discussed the loss to Western, plus Matt’s stories from camp and a top 10 call from Fake Barney.

Article written by Rashawn Franklin

18 Comments for Monday’s Football Press Conference Notes and Today’s Podcast

1. UK Fan
    3:00 pm September 17, 2012 Permalink

Of course they have to play for each other. They have no choice because Joker certainly has no future. He’s mentally gone now anyway and just going through the motions until he gets the axe. What a waste of $2 million.

2. Bbnallday
    3:03 pm September 17, 2012 Permalink

When the hell is josh Clemons gonna be back..max smith needs more weapons in the backfield obviously

3. UKBlue
    3:12 pm September 17, 2012 Permalink

Joker should just stop talking, the more he talks the worse he makes it for himself.

4. Big Blue man
    3:21 pm September 17, 2012 Permalink

Clean slate my ass, that has to be the funniest thing I’ve ever heard. God have mercy on our football program when we get into SEC play. We now are facing murderers row starting with Florida. The worst being when Steve Spurrier and company comes to town on national television and absolutely puts UK on blast.

God have mercy …

5. UK Fan
    3:22 pm September 17, 2012 Permalink

Mitch: tell me again why you didn’t fire Joker last year?

6. CatGrad7072
    3:23 pm September 17, 2012 Permalink

What happened to my post? I didn’t say anything bad about either MB or CJP.

7. AaronJ
    3:23 pm September 17, 2012 Permalink

4 – It’s going to be more along the lines “Wrath of God”

8. Get Kliff
    3:33 pm September 17, 2012 Permalink

I have two words, Kliff Kingsbury.

9. Mitchell
    3:42 pm September 17, 2012 Permalink

Watch this presser, then go to youtube and watch a James Franklin, Willie Taggert, Dan Mullen, etc. presser and tell me which ones seem to have the qualities needed in a multi-million dollar “football enterprise” CEO- which is what a BCS level head coach essentially is.

10. OSU fan
    3:50 pm September 17, 2012 Permalink

Call Kerry Coombs.

11. schwing
    4:05 pm September 17, 2012 Permalink

8: is his middle name kurtis?

12. MattMan
    4:25 pm September 17, 2012 Permalink

I’m still interested in playing this out with Joker. I still this he’s our guy.

13. Brian Kelly
    4:26 pm September 17, 2012 Permalink

Kerry Coombs would be an excellent choice for head coach. Coombs coached for twenty yrs. at Colerain High School in Cincinnati and then was assistant head coach under Brian Kelly and Butch Jones at the University of Cincinnati for three or four years. He is a tremendous recruiter who knows how to run a football operation like a business. He is extremely positive and could sell ice to an eskimo. He knows football too. So much football that he is now on the staff of Urban Meyer at OSU. He has tremendous football recruiting contacts in Ohio and is extremely respected. Joker and his staff are a bunch of amateurs who are in way over their head.

14. Chris Peterson
    4:34 pm September 17, 2012 Permalink

I’m ready to put my career where my mouth is. Give me a call. Tired of Idaho.

15. MattMan
    4:35 pm September 17, 2012 Permalink

*Think

16. Beavis
    4:50 pm September 17, 2012 Permalink

I am thinking,,,,,,and I can’t think of a single reason to keep this excuse for our football coach. ” WE have got to get better ” Wonder what his first big clue was ?????

17. Dale in Orlando
    5:13 pm September 17, 2012 Permalink

I fell asleep watching this. Really. Our ceiling is 7-5 with this guy.

18. Big Blue man