Joker Phillips met with the media today. Here’s what the media says that he said.
– Heading into the game, Joker said that his team is confident, despite their two consecutive losses. He said that they know how to beat this team. He also said part of that confidence they have comes from what he believes is a positive matchup of their defensive line against the Auburn offensive line.
– Regarding having Danny Trevathan on for the onside kick while wearing a cast, Joker said that he wants his 11 most aggressive players on the field in that situation. A one-handed Trevathan still fits in that category, which either says a lot about him or the rest of the team.
– In regards to other special teams, Joker called Craig McIntosh’s onside kick “perfect” and said that Joe Mansour told him that he was near the top of the country in touchbacks, to which Joker replied by telling him he was also near the top in kicking it out of bounds. Joker said that right now Mansour is John Daly and they hope one day he’ll be Greg Norman.
– Joker also said that Raymond Sanders has been moved ahead of Donald Russell to the number two running back spot. That greatly excites my friend Matt.
– Joker said that he expects a lot of running out of Cam Newton. Newton, who was the SEC’s leading rusher entering last weekend, only had one carry against Louisiana-Monroe.
– On the injury front, Joker said that Qua Huzzie is questionable after having surgery on his thumb and TE Nick Melilo will be back this week and will see some action with the special teams. He also said that Randall Burden should be fine to practice tomorrow and should play this weekend.
– For those of you looking ahead, no game time has been set yet for South Carolina. It will be announced on Sunday, but you’re guaranteed of not having an early morning affair with the remaining options being either 3:30, 6:00 or 7:30. It also means the TV folks are at least somewhat optimistic of the Cats’ chances Saturday against Auburn.