MLB Road Trip, Day 7: Boston

mlb-roadtrip

We watched the Phillies today. I’ll tell you about it tomorrow. This is what we did yesterday. I’m tired.

—————————

Back in the States.

We made it back into the U.S. of A., where we are free to walk around without a bounty on our heads.

Vermont: “No billboards. No Taco Bell.”

It used to be that when I got my mind set on Taco Bell – which is very often – nothing in this world could stop me from getting fourth meal. Then we drove through Vermont on our way to Boston. T-Bell’s are few and far between in the Green Mountain State, so we had to settle for expensive rabbit food at a coffee shop in Montpellier. For that, I have lost all respect for the state that gave us one half of K-Ci and JoJo. “I’m goin’ crazy, crazy, crazy, just to thinkin’ about a beefy 5 layer burrito, baby…”

Also notably missing from Vermont: billboards. Vermont banned billboards in 1968 and the state has been free of large roadside signage ever since. You just got educated.

Let’s try this again. How many Mariners can we name after watching them in Toronto?

Ichiro Suzuki. Randy Johnson? No? Dammit.

fenway-3

Fenway Park. Wow.

I don’t know that I’ve been to a venue like Fenway Park in any sport. The atmosphere is incredible. Yawkey Way, the short street in front of Fenway, becomes part of the ballpark on game days and the street is filled with vendors and concessions. It’s so wild outside, the ticket gates to enter the game are in the street, instead of at the stadium entrance. I can only imagine how crazy it was on Yawkey when the Sox won it all. I bet it was almost as crazy as it was after they beat the Mariners yesterday.

fenway2

Grading The Dog (6.4)

The Fenway Frank: $5… Have you ever had a hot dog? It was exactly like that.

Trey Grayson joins the crew.

The former Secretary of State of Kentucky met us at Fenway for the game. Trey lives in Boston now and he’s the director of the Institute of Politics at Harvard Kennedy School. Don’t worry, he still bleeds blue.

fenway-guys

Big Blue Nation in attendance. We’re 6 for 7!

We saw a couple different groups of Kentucky fans at Fenway.

It took everything I had to not pull on this…

Ladies and gentlemen, check out this rat tail. Look at it. Appreciate it. Love it.

fenway-rattail

Notice the great leg room we had at Fenway, too. We’re a tall group of guys so you can imagine how comfortable we were.

Red Sox 7, Mariners 4

The Red Sox are good. Mariners? Not so much.

fenway1

The KSR MLB Road Trip hit international airwaves on Howard 101

D.J. loves the Scott Ferrall Show on Howard Stern’s Sirius station. I mean he LOVES it. D.J. would listen to Ferrall 24-7 if he could. So when we were listening Friday night, I thought I’d call in to the show and let Ferrall know how much D.J. admires his work. Surprisingly, my phone call got right through and “Drew from Boston” was on the air in minutes. I better not divulge the conversation I had with Ferrall on Howard 101, but let’s say he was not happy with our discussion and it completely changed the complexion of the show. He was still pissed off thirty minutes later when he was signing off. If anything, he should thank us for giving him almost an hour’s worth of material for the show.

I became blood brothers with someone in Worchester, Massachusetts

After showering at our hotel in Worchester Friday night, I grabbed one of the nicely folded towels off the rack and dried off. When I went to hang the towel back up, I noticed the towel was bloody. At first, I just assumed my body was falling apart from the trip. But after an inspection in the mirror, I realized I wasn’t bleeding. It was someone else’s blood from the night before and it still looked pretty fresh. Blood brothers!!!

Up Next: Philadelphia

Geno’s or Pat’s? Who ya got?

————————————-

Day 1: Chicago

Day 2: Detroit

Day 3: New York

Day 4: Baltimore

Day 5: Pittsburgh

Day 6: Toronto

Article written by Drew Franklin

23 Comments for MLB Road Trip, Day 7: Boston

1. Sexington
    10:07 pm July 23, 2011 Permalink

Drew needs to be on the show when matt gets back to dicuss this trip sound epic

2. dude
    10:29 pm July 23, 2011 Permalink

SOX SUCK. If you were a Sox fan before ’03 I can cut you some slack. But anyone after that is nothing buy a bandwagon fan.

3. CaliUKFan
    10:31 pm July 23, 2011 Permalink

Jodeci shoutout

4. CaliUKFan
    10:34 pm July 23, 2011 Permalink

Drew are you sure that blood came from a dude (towel or make shift tampon)? Just saying lol

5. raining blood
    10:36 pm July 23, 2011 Permalink

Yo Drew tell Matt to please get a co-host worth a sh$t. Its trashing my already trashy week since I DIDNT GO TO COLLEGE AND BECAME A CONSTRUCTION WORKER!! F&$K!!

6. Somervillain
    11:11 pm July 23, 2011 Permalink

I miss Boston. Just a fantastic city. When I used to live there, the old garage KSR podcasts were my best connection to UK sports. Now that I live in Kentucky again, I still get my UK fix the same way. Funny.

7. Andy
    11:38 pm July 23, 2011 Permalink

Go to Larrys on St Joes campus. Skip Pat and Genos

8. kentuckygentleman
    11:44 pm July 23, 2011 Permalink

Vermont is the coolest state of the 50 (with Kentucky being a close runner-up :), spent part of my honeymoon there nine years ago. If it weren’t for the freakin cold ass winters there, I would move there in a heartbeat if a job was waiting. Years ago I could have said because I couldn’t keep up with the Cats either, but the net has killed that excuse. I can certainly do without Taco Bells and billboards, nothing lost there!

9. Oz
    11:55 pm July 23, 2011 Permalink

Worcester, not Worchester. Pronounced “wooster”. Just ask Michael Bradley.

10. LouisvillesBiggestRedSoxFan
    1:16 am July 24, 2011 Permalink

#2 I call them “fever-pitch” fans.

I was at Fenway after UofL hired Pitino…
    with my UK shirt on, I had lots of conversation with the locals,
    including making it onto the airwaves on one of the live radio shows
    broadcast from Yawkey Way.

11. John W.
    1:40 am July 24, 2011 Permalink

You guys should come early to Cincy. ESPN will be hosting the Sunday Night Baseball pregame show. Come early and head on over to Crosley Terrace (the ballpark’s main entrance) and get seen on the background of ESPN! See you there. Also, checking out the new Holy Grail Tavern right next door is a must!

12. BPsycho
    2:14 am July 24, 2011 Permalink

#10 “Titties!”

13. Bg Cat
    6:39 am July 24, 2011 Permalink

Drew , What Are You Doing With Your Left Hand In That Photo ? I Know You And Matt Are Tight, But Damn. That Is Being Too Tight.

14. Pancreas
    8:56 am July 24, 2011 Permalink

Pat’s all the way.

15. Ira Tatum
    9:18 am July 24, 2011 Permalink

period .

16. Phillyukfan
    9:31 am July 24, 2011 Permalink

Pats for SURE…

17. rainman
    10:26 am July 24, 2011 Permalink

BASEBALL SUCKS AND THERE’S NO WAY TO MAKE IT ANY DIFFERENT!!!

18. catty
    10:29 am July 24, 2011 Permalink

Dang Drew is starting to dress like Matt. Which may be an improvement. But who in the hell wears a long sleeve button down to a Ball park in the middle if the worst heat wave ever?

19. Don
    11:31 am July 24, 2011 Permalink

Was it long kaki brown shorts day at fenway, or did you all just tell each other what you were going to wear and everybody went along?

20. The Original Voice Of Reason
    12:16 pm July 24, 2011 Permalink

Skip Pat’s and Geno’s… both overrated. All marketing and no substance, kinda like absolut vodka and louisville athletics.

D’Alessandros in Roxborough has the best steaks in town. Steve’s Prince of Steaks in NE Philly is a very close second.

If you don’t want to venture out of S. Philly (where the stadiums are) or downtown, Jim’s on 4th and south (downtown) and Tony Luke’s (on Oregon ave right by the stadiums) are your best bets.

21. Ira Tatum
    12:32 pm July 24, 2011 Permalink

Get yo sef HIV tested ‘period’.

22. MIDDAY
    8:54 am July 25, 2011 Permalink

Bobba Booey!

23. Vermont
    1:44 pm July 25, 2011 Permalink

I live in Vermont and I f*cking LOVE IT! I hate billboards and prefer food to Taco Bell, so I guess that follows. We have just one area code: 802. Here is an amusing video about our area code: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GL7uW4TYqbs .