MLB Road Trip Day 1: Chicago

mlb-roadtrip

The first day of the 2011 KSR MLB Road Trip is in the books and it feels like we’ve been gone for three months. Our journey began Friday night in Cincinnati where the three of us piled into one car before driving to West Lafayette, Indiana for the night to cut down the drive to Chicago. Saturday morning, we arrived in The Windy City and watched the Chicago Cubs and Florida Marlins at Wrigley Field in our first of nine baseball games in nine days. Let me tell you about it…

—————–

A journey like this needs a Journey like this.

The Kia “Rajon” Rondo was retired in a beautiful ceremony at Enterprise after the CBS College Basketball Trip of 2010, so a new mid-size crossover SUV had to be picked up on waivers. So we called up the appropriately named Dodge Journey to be our home for these nine grueling days. It’s a midnight train goin’ anywhere and it goes on and on and on and on…

West Lafayette, Indiana

Rather than getting up before before the sun and the Mexicans Saturday morning, we chose to spend Friday night in West Lafayette, Indiana. Not only would this split up the drive from Cincy to Chicago, it would also give us the opportunity to party with the Boilermakers. If we could go back in time, we would’ve kept driving. But you know what they say, hindsight wears the three goggles.

Forecast for Purdude University: It’s Raining Men

Purdue has an unbelievable amount of male students. That, or each bar was hosting football tryouts. We should’ve picked up on this when the long line outside gave us flashbacks to the line for free sports physicals in high school. To make things worse, the few girls we saw looked a lot like the many guys we saw. Matt and I were a little harsh with our Purdue jokes on Twitter, and for that, I’m sorry. I’m sorry I’m not sorry. Sometimes we forget how good we have it in Lexington, and a night in Purdue will make anyone realize that.

I estimate a 90 to 1 ratio.

I’m serious, I didn’t even know it was possible. Purdue has to rank up there with Rikers Island and the Daytona 500 for the highest TPC (testicles per capita) in the nation.

The ‘Magical Book of Mystery’ is back, and it never steers us wrong.

If you followed the basketball road trip, you’re probably aware of Matt’s refusal to use a Garmin GPS, or what he calls a “grundle”. So we’re doing it the way Meriwether Lewis and William Clark did, way back before that robot woman started shouting out directions from her computers in the sky. We’re on our Rand McNally swag aka The Magical Book of Mystery aka The Book of Secrets. I don’t mean to brag, but I’ve become quite the cartographer. That’s someone who creates and reads maps. Boom. Educated.

Gary, Indiana makes for great roadside scenery…

… if you like rundown industrial plants and an overall feeling of poverty and murder. I bet it’s still better than West Lafayette.

Hey, look! The Sears Tower!

We made it to Chicago about an hour before game time so we drove straight to Wrigley to get parked and pick up the tickets in time to sing along with the National Anthem. We don’t have time to tour the city. This trip is all business.

wrigley2

Grading the Dog: (7.5)

“Chicago Dog”: $6.25… A soft poppyseed bun was a good touch to go with the pile of grilled onions on top of the frank. The 8 year-old redheaded kid was Quick Draw McGraw with the cash register too. It’s the first one of the trip so I’ll give it a 7.5.

Old Style beer: $7.00… A Cubs tradition.

Today, we’re all Morrisons.

Our seats for the game were in the visiting family section, which was really the Logan Morrison family section. Morrison is the left fielder for the Marlins and his family rolled deep to Wrigley for this game. Since we were surrounded by #20 t-shirts and jerseys, we immediately became LoMo fans. A quick Wikipedia search got us the facts and history we needed to fit right in. Our fanhood peaked when our new favorite baseball player went yard in the 6th inning with two men on. I think Uncle Morrison is still standing and flexing at Cubs fans.

wrigley

Cubs 3, Marlins 13

Our hopes of a 0-9 record for the home teams on our trip got off to a good start when the Marlins pummeled the Cubs. DJ took the loss pretty hard but the perfect weather and those ice cold Old Styles eased his pain.

Been there, done that, got a Burt Reynolds t-shirt.

It’s sad, but the highlight of our afternoon in Wrigleyville was a store called Strange Cargo outside the stadium. The hipster store had everything from Charlotte Hornets throwback jackets to Golden Girls stickers and ‘It’s Blumpkin Time’ t-shirts. While those items were tempting, we passed and went with the vintage Jim McMahon and Burt Reynolds t-shirts. And by “we” I mean Matt bought a Jim McMahon and a Burt Reynolds t-shirt.

After-party at The Pony, Chicago’s official UK Alumni bar

We didn’t have much time to hang out after the game, but you make time when the UK Alumni bar is just a few blocks away. We stopped by The Pony for “The Big Blue” cocktail and “The Wildcat” sandwich before leaving town. The drink sucked, the sandwich was decent, but look at that UK logo on the menu! #BBN #lafamilia pony-menu

Up Next: Detroit

We’re baccccckkkkkk!

Article written by Drew Franklin

38 Comments for MLB Road Trip Day 1: Chicago

1. eZmoney
    11:28 pm July 16, 2011 Permalink

Logan Morrison is the left fielder not the third baseman. Figure it out please.

2. flacat22
    11:42 pm July 16, 2011 Permalink

“Rather than hitting the highway before the sun and the Mexicans Saturday morning,” dick comment esay.

3. Bob Saget
    11:43 pm July 16, 2011 Permalink

I love the website, but couldn’t care less about you douchebags traveling to sites of a dying sport.

4. Sexington
    11:43 pm July 16, 2011 Permalink

1 who crapped in your milk?

5. Sexington
    11:44 pm July 16, 2011 Permalink

2 who pissed in your ovaltine?

6. mocha
    12:04 am July 17, 2011 Permalink

Carry on my wayward son(s).

7. Matt Jones
    12:04 am July 17, 2011 Permalink

Then don’t read it. It isn’t hard

8. gillie
    12:14 am July 17, 2011 Permalink

Who is going to be our best WR this year, Im going to miss cobb and so is our other WR

9. Mr Handsome
    12:27 am July 17, 2011 Permalink

Strike a pose Matt! you sexy piece of man you 😉

10. Ricky P
    12:34 am July 17, 2011 Permalink

6. Oh, it’s hard.

11. BPsycho
    12:38 am July 17, 2011 Permalink

#2 “dying sport” lol

Don’t you have a pilot to shoot?

12. JBR
    12:42 am July 17, 2011 Permalink

Baseball sucks. Why does this site continue to ignore football?

13. RICHARD GIRTH
    1:23 am July 17, 2011 Permalink

Yep, It’s time this site embraces more of college football. It’s the #2 sport behind the NFL and we’re lucky enough to play in the #1 conference.

Love the site, but please include more contributors from media members across the South who are well versed in football. We’re a charter member of the SEC and sometimes we forget that.

14. OWL-CAT-00
    3:22 am July 17, 2011 Permalink

People,football is a secondary sport so quit whinning about there not being enough written about football!!!!Basketball is where all the actions is at.The only reason fans watch football is so they can drink and get drunk!!!!!

People, quit whinning about there not being enough written about football.
    How much do you think can be written about a secondary sport? Football,baseball,golf and nascar are sports that people use as a excuse to drink and get drunk,they are all so slow paced that you have to drink in order to keep your mind occupied while watching.

15. Cat fan in TN
    6:19 am July 17, 2011 Permalink

Wrigley Field is awesome….tons of good looking girls there and just a great atmosphere. Wrigleyville is great and I suggest everyone should go there at least once.

16. SexnNursinHomes
    6:26 am July 17, 2011 Permalink

10- hahahaha classic BP.

Sucks that KSR crew won’t be making it down to Tampa for a ball game.

17. What'sThat
    6:41 am July 17, 2011 Permalink

Is that the “Duke Diva” below “The Big Blue” cocktail?

18. Calipari'sInYourEar
    7:32 am July 17, 2011 Permalink

Hey at least you guys responded to the sausage fest invite.

What’s the ratio a baseball game? 100 – 1>

19. micah
    7:50 am July 17, 2011 Permalink

I can’t wait to the Cincy game!

20. Kemp's Pawn & Lube
    8:10 am July 17, 2011 Permalink

In the most ridiculous manner possible…I love the travel blog. If Peter King on SI.com can include coffee and beer tips in this Monday Morning Quarterback column, KRS baseball pilgrimage should certainly merit some space on the site. Stay safe, and yes, I-71 in Cincy stinks at rush hour, especially after the I-75 merge. I live here, and I have to re-route myself all the time to avoid it.

21. The way I see it ...
    8:45 am July 17, 2011 Permalink

Matt, you shouldn’t have let @KSRBetterHalf go … you need a fashion consultant. That has to be one of the worst UK tees I have ever seen. Looks like it came from the clearance rack at Sears.

22. shield eyes
    9:08 am July 17, 2011 Permalink

First, the Japanese, now the Mexicans. Who is up next Drew?

23. Hoss
    9:19 am July 17, 2011 Permalink

Baseball is for mongoloids (due to the easy speed at which it’s played… so they can keep up) and old men, same reason.

I can’t think of a bigger waste of time, money or energy. I really can’t. I’d rather pump my entire paycheck into a Dance Dance Revolution machine than to spend one red cent on MLB.

24. ChicagoCat
    10:31 am July 17, 2011 Permalink

The Pony is awesome. Shame you guys couldn’t see it in football or basketball season, it gets crazy for all the big games. Definitely my favorite bar in the city.

I’ve never had The Big Blue because, well, I’m just not that fancy…

25. Keep on Truckin'
    10:40 am July 17, 2011 Permalink

Keep up the good work you two.
    Just remember:
    Haters gonna Hate

26. Joan Rivers
    11:06 am July 17, 2011 Permalink

Is Drew going to a sporting event or a church ice cream social? C’mon man!

27. Old Style
    11:25 am July 17, 2011 Permalink

Kraeusened!

28. Greg
    12:32 pm July 17, 2011 Permalink

KSR keep doin your thing( thang ). One of the best sites in sports. The best IMO. I’m not a huge Baseball fan, but I still enjoy it sometimes. Keeps things interesting. GO CATS!

29. FaninNWLex
    12:39 pm July 17, 2011 Permalink

#15 – Thanks for being part of the reason people nationally/regionally make fun of UK Fans.

30. Dh
    12:44 pm July 17, 2011 Permalink

Why all the haters? I hate baseball, but any sports fan would be fortunate to take a trip like this. Have fun guys and keep us posted.

31. OWL-CAT-00
    1:20 pm July 17, 2011 Permalink

#30 -HAHAHA love to get a few feathers ruffled!!!! Chill a little it is summer!!!!!

32. girlycat
    1:21 pm July 17, 2011 Permalink

#24 – You’re a douche.

33. joe joe
    2:31 pm July 17, 2011 Permalink

Really… why do we care about UK football? Don’t you get sick of watching them get their a-s-s-e-s kicked every year? I am sick of it. I don’t even care to watch them any more. Only games they can win are Appalaichan State, Louisville, and other weak a-s-s football team. Haven’t beat Tennessee in how many years? Come on. We suck at football. No one cares to hear about it either except you ftards out there.

34. Ira Tatum
    3:28 pm July 17, 2011 Permalink

Chicago is awesome! Cubs games are a tremendous experience! I miss Old Style. Fantastic road trip. Should have checked out Northwestern and the beach on Lake Michigan, Michigan Ave. (Magnificent Mile), and Gino’s East and Giordanos for the greatest pizza on the planet.

35. Szorcsik
    6:03 pm July 17, 2011 Permalink

Wrigley is a classic. Just finish a mini road trip with my wife – we hit (1) a Reading Phillies game (great food selection and firt class scoreboard); (2) a Toledo Mud Hens game – good stadium, but unremarkable except for the toasted bologna sandwich and the SRO crowd (12,000 +/-)and the fact it was Harry Potter night; and (3) a White Sox game (only because Milwaukee was too far to get there in time for the Reds game – which the Reds blew anyway). Baseball road trips are the best!

36. Neil
    8:48 pm July 17, 2011 Permalink

# 25 your spot on. The Pony is incredible and probably the rowdiest UK bar in the country. KSR should host a radio show from there.

37. JVice
    11:02 am July 18, 2011 Permalink

31 – you just expressed the reason for the hate. Jealousy. Regular folks can’t get away from their lives and do this kind of thing, and the fact that the crew is doing it for a crap “sport” like baseball adds insult to injury. This was a rare miss. A case of KSR totally pissing off a bunch of their core demographic. My take anyway.