Mitch McConnell’s Monday Morning Wakeup

CLWMGRyUMAAE1YO

I know it’s not sports and the mere mention of politics drives some folks insane in here, but I couldn’t let the experience of this past weekend go by without one mention by me on here. The time as MC of Fancy Farm this weekend was one of the cooler things I have done. It is a scene unlike any other, with people in the crowd amped up about politics and ready to scream their lungs out for their candidates. As a speaker, I must tell you that it was the hardest crowd I have ever been in front of. People are yelling at you and if you say something they don’t like (which is impossible not to do when you are making jokes about the candidates), they yell. However it was very cool and quite an honor to be a part of. The picture above is that of Mitch McConnell as I began telling a few of my jokes about him…he didn’t seem to happy with me and I would think it is likely an audit is coming my way in the relatively near future. I know to some all mention of politics are treason, but for those of us that are a part of this site, we write also about our lives. And Saturday was a very cool day for me…plus Drew is going to mock everything in a post in the next day or two and I have a feeling it will be brilliant.

With that, some thoughts for the morning:

— The big news of the weekend is Isaac Humphries and the possibility of him joining the UK Basketball team this fall. I wrote more about this earlier (just scroll down), but the main thing to remember is this. An addition of Humphries is important for this year but also for the future. Calipari really likes this kid and the UK staff believes he can develop into a player. He will give them minutes this year, but his most important role will be potentially the next season. He still must get eligible however and until that happens, his announcement for the team will not be official.

— The 2016 class as a whole is starting to take more shape for Kentucky. I am starting to hear a lot of buzz about De’Aaron Fox as potentially the next recruit with major Kentucky interest. A couple of national recruiting guys switched their pick to UK this weekend (which matters), but I think much more important is the way the UK staff is moving in on him. He, like some of the other top guys in this class, has risen through the summer and has seen his interest from UK rise accordingly. He can get to the basket and reminds me a bit of Brandon Knight, not so much in look but in style of play. He would be a great get in a class full of very good point guards.

Football Camp starts this week…and the guys are very excited. There is an excitement about the team by the kids in the program that is really fun to watch. They are all chomping at the bits to get on the field and the momentum of the last few weeks around UK football is enthralling. There are a number of questions on defense but I truly believe the offense is scheduled to absolutely take off this year in every way possible. For me it all comes down to Patrick Towles and everything I hear suggests that he is ready to take control and make a big step up this year. If he does, the Cats will score a lot of points.

— Quick question for everyone…if Kentucky football improves and the schedule can improve accordingly, which major opponent besides Louisville would you want to see on the schedule? It is an interesting question and one that could come into play as the schedule gets made for 2017 and beyond.

The day will continue today with a lot of football news as the players start to get ready for the season…Media Day is Friday so get ready for the football fix to continue. The KSR Tour heads to Bowling Green at Chaney’s Dairy Barn. Ryan is going to milk a cow and we are going to talk about Humphries and behind the scenes at Fancy Farm…should be fun.

Article written by Matt Jones

16 Comments for Mitch McConnell’s Monday Morning Wakeup

1. JaredCarterIsMyHomeboy
    8:13 am August 3, 2015 Permalink

Mitch McConnell looks like someones rich old grandmother haha.

2. shelby
    8:18 am August 3, 2015 Permalink

Add NO ONE, to the schedule–SEC competition is enough.

3. fatbrat
    8:40 am August 3, 2015 Permalink

Will Mohamed Ibrahim ( four-star APB) be in Lexington today for his visit?

4. IAM4UK9
    8:43 am August 3, 2015 Permalink

Don’t worry about an audit, Matt. Our president controls the IRS, not ole’ Mitch. (Besides, while this president behaves as you fear, that’s unusual…)

5. clhcat
    9:14 am August 3, 2015 Permalink

Last night I posted a comment that called Matt on the carpet for calling other folks opinions “idiotic”. I said Cawood would never have said that….my comment was removed. I’ve said before that if you post it….its fair for me to comment on it. Obviously Matt disagrees. That is the mark of a socialist/communist…..silence the opposition. On another post, another writer called Donald Trump a “false prophet”. The Donald is just saying what a LOT of other folks are thinking and don’t have the guts to say.
    Matt, this “propaganda machine” you run here is nothing more than a toy for rich Duke grads or liberal inexperienced college boys to play on. Grow up. If you can’t handle a dissenting comment from and old Kentucky boy….what gives you the right to play politics at Fancy Farm?

• J-Dub421
      9:36 am August 3, 2015 Permalink

Trump has filed for bankruptcy 4 times. This is not who I want in charge of our economy.

• theWilkman
      10:10 am August 3, 2015 Permalink

What does Matt have to do with Cawood? A whole lot of nothing. Matt is open about his political biases, so “propaganda machine” is inaccurate. And if you seriously think a loud-mouth self-promoter who speaks out of both sides of his mouth that inherited his fortune of which he’s bankrupted himself multiple times would be a good president…well I don’t blame KSR for deleting your comments. Your judgement is clearly impaired.

And FYI I’ve voted Republican in all presidential elections I’ve been eligible for, so don’t waste your liberal/socialist/communist epithets.

• Several of mine were deleted too, and all I said was “Yawn” at first. Then when I responded they deleted some of those too. It may actually be Jonathan Miller with the thin skin who was having them deleted, but I don’t know. It could have been Matt since he made a post last night and this morning.

Anyway, post whatever you want on the “Show Thread”. They never read it anyway. 😉

• jaws2
      3:42 pm August 3, 2015 Permalink

J-Dub421 : Trump has NEVER filed for bankruptcy, he has had companies he’s been involved with file for Chapter 11 re-organization. Some of the largest corporations in the world have done the same, and survived, just like his have. Get your facts straight prior to coming here and exposing to us how bright you are.

• J-Dub421
      5:22 pm August 3, 2015 Permalink

I am aware that his companies have filed for bankruptcy, and not him personally. They filed for bankruptcy under his watch, so he’s responsible. You can try to call it “reorganization” all you want, but Chapter 11 is a bankruptcy filing. This indicates to me that he is not the most fiscally responsible person, and I do not think he is qualified to be the leader of our country. I do not care about his party affiliations.

• theWilkman
      5:38 pm August 3, 2015 Permalink

jaws2 – J-Dub421 is spot on. Trump not declaring bankruptcy personally is a technicality. The bottom line is 4 different times, companies that he was in direct control of, had to file Ch. 11 to avoid going under. That’s the exact opposite of the fiscally sound candidate he wants to portray himself as.

FYI – he was also a registered Democrat until 2009. I hope you didn’t just go blind reading that.

6. DREWBLUE
    9:38 am August 3, 2015 Permalink

Play OKLAHOMA

• nybrasky
      9:58 am August 3, 2015 Permalink

That was going to be my suggestion as well. Battle of the Stoops brothers. Expand UK’s footprint a little west. Plus, I don’t hate Oklahoma so if we lost it would be easier to stomach.

• The UP
      3:11 pm August 3, 2015 Permalink

my suggestion as well. take louisville off the schedule entirely. sick of their fans here in louisville and i hate paying them $75 to go to the game.

7. ares1
    10:01 am August 3, 2015 Permalink

Virginia, Virginia Tech, Indiana, Duke, or N Carolina.

• Catsby80
      10:56 am August 3, 2015 Permalink

I think the UNC or Duke matchup would be fun. Both are decent and if UK continues to improve, it could be a fun rivalry to get started on the gridiron.