Mitch Barnhart reaches the summit of Mt. Kilimanjaro

Congrats to Mitch Barnhart, who reached the summit of Mt. Kilimanjaro on Sunday. Kilimanjaro is the tallest mountain in Africa, with a summit of almost 20,000 feet above sea level.

I’ll be honest, it’s pretty weird to see Mitch with a beard and not wearing a sweater vest, but at least he’s repping the Cats with that hat. A three goggle really would have completed the outfit.

41 Comments for Mitch Barnhart reaches the summit of Mt. Kilimanjaro

1. bigabes4uk
    11:33 am July 31, 2012 Permalink

Hope he has a UK sticker handy for that sign behind him.

2. HeshimuEvans'2ndGradeTeacher
    11:33 am July 31, 2012 Permalink

They really need to look into getting a new sign up there

3. Suffo-Cats
    11:40 am July 31, 2012 Permalink

It’s a slow day at KSR obviously. I’d rather see a picture of that mountain sitting on Christian Laettner’s chest!!!

4. UK
    11:42 am July 31, 2012 Permalink

2) The funny thing is that is a new sign. I got to climb Kilimanjaro four years ago and it was a completely different sign.

5. Steely Dan
    11:43 am July 31, 2012 Permalink

4) You’re right, that is funny.

6. Play It Leo
    11:46 am July 31, 2012 Permalink

anybody see the Phish sticker?

7. Guru
    11:49 am July 31, 2012 Permalink

No doubt contemplating the mysteries of life and Commonwealth Stadium upgrades…

8. BravoBigBlue
    11:49 am July 31, 2012 Permalink

Whoop! See if you can find a hed football coach while you’re up there Mitch. But don’t be drinking whatever it was you were drinking when you hired Billy G. I still can’t believe Barnhart survived that one!

9. what the what
    11:57 am July 31, 2012 Permalink

Hey Mitch, did you find anyone up there interested in buying season tickets?

10. Head Bussa
    12:02 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

Thank God for no 3-goggles from Mitch there. It is played out.

11. SteveM
    12:13 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

If we’re really lucky, he won’t find the way back down.

12. Jed Bartlet
    12:22 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

Dear Mitch:
    Thanks for hiring Coach Cal, who brought us #8. Thanks for sticking with Coach Brooks on the way to multiple bowls and a win over a national champion, when so many (like those on here) wanted to jump ship. Keep up the GREAT work!

13. Microwave Mitch
    12:23 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

Whoever told me the Governor’s cup luncheon was being held up here is a damn liar.

14. BravoBigBlue
    12:25 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

Dear Mitch:

Thanks for decimating the basketball program and the football program with the hiring of Billy Gillispie and Joker Phillips, respectively. Keep up the GREAT work!

Respectfully,

A realist who does know his ass from a hole in the ground

15. University of Kansas
    12:29 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

Watch out for that Ebola outbreak over there.

16. Jed Bartlet
    12:29 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

Decimating the basketball program? As Matt would say in his previous life, I rest my case.

17. BravoBigBlue
    1:10 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

Listen Jed, I know you have a real man-love for Mitch. But to deny that BG took the basketball program to depths it hadn’t come close to since Eddie Sutton is just pure ignorance. I rest my case.

18. Big Blue Coming at You
    1:20 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

Now, if Mitch can climb the impossible peak that is UK football then i would give him props.

19. burger
    1:32 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

Mitch Barnhart… the guy that almost steered the Kentucky basketball program off the cliff and had to make what appeared to be a risky hire at the time to save his job.

What a UK legacy!

Look at his expression in the picture. He’s going to give it more time to see if he changes his mind about climbing the mountain.

20. Common Sense
    1:42 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

And I bet your ass what shouting for joy when they hired Billy G. Also, what is wrong with Joker? He hasn’t proven that he isn’t the guy for the job yet. Why don’t you let him do his work and get off his ass about every little thing?

21. RD
    1:50 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

C’mon Mitch….where’s the 3-goggles sign?

22. OoogieBoogie
    1:59 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

This site – or at least its comments section – has a serious asshole infestation! Whatever you think if Mitch, climbing Kilimanjaro is pretty cool.

23. BravoBigBlue
    2:12 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

14 – Why don’t you just kill yourself, you ignorant SOB?

24. BravoBigBlue
    2:13 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

20 – Common Sense? – 23 comment was obviously meant for you. Are you serious about Joker? Are you his wife?

25. Jed Bartlet
    2:17 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

The only case against Mitch is the BCG hire. He has made up for that ten-fold. It is popular to consider Joker a bad hire at this point, but if Joker was the OC at Alabama right now (he probably would be if Mitch hadn’t made his move), you would be chastising Mitch for that. Joker was a must-hire: worth the gamble as a first time head coach because of his love for the program. If he winds up successful, he is THE guy who would not leave for a better job. A better time to criticize Mitch would have been WHILE Gillispie was coach. Doing it now just makes you look ignorant.

26. BravoBigBlue
    2:23 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

If you didn’t know that BG was a bad hire during his first season, then you are a complete fool. And if you think Joker is an SEC caliber head coach, then you should do what I suggested your buddy common sense do. About 2 of every 5 Kentucky fans are idiots. That would be you, jed and lack of common sense.

27. BravoBigBlue
    2:25 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

Mike Pratt had more to do with hiring Cal than Mitch did. Mitch was told to shut up and don’t get in the way.

28. Jed Bartlet
    2:28 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

Have a great day, Bravo. I don’t get into all of the name calling. I find that people usually resort to that only when they do not have a legitimate argument. Go Cats!

29. BravoBigBlue
    2:33 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

fu jed, you ignorant sob.

30. Jed Bartlet
    2:43 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

LOL. I thought you were probably kidding with all of the name calling. I like your style. I actually did laugh out loud when I read that. Have a good one.

31. SteveM
    2:52 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

#25 I don’t know what you’re smoking but your head is obviously in the clouds.
    #27 Believe me about Cal and Barnhart…you got it right in how it went down.

32. BravoBigBlue
    3:00 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

All right, JB. No blood, no foul. Go Cats!

33. Common Sense
    5:49 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

Bravo
    I would love to see you do better than Joker. I promise you that coaching in real life is not like that NCAA football game you play on your xbox. Let Joker do his work. Anyone that bashes or degrades Joker right now is just a fool. HE HAS HAD 2 YEARS! And don’t give me that “He was a Coach in waiting” BS. That doesn’t matter, especially since the current coaching staff is almost entirely different that the Brooks staff. As a UK fan speaking to another UK fan, I just ask you to relax and let him do his job.

34. tyrus
    6:12 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

#4 I summited last October and the old sign was still there. Honestly, I’m glad my summit pictures were of the old sign which is more iconic. Good job Mitch but hey you’re several years younger than I.

35. BravoBigBlue
    7:05 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

33 – Common Sense – You really should give it a rest.

1. Joker is a decent to good recruiter.
    2. He has zero offensive imagination.
    3. He is in way over his head as a head coach in the SEC.
    4. He will never get another D1 head coaching job after he is canned by UK.
    5. I have never played xbox anything in my life.
    6. You don’t want to mess with me.
    7. If you do, you are a fool.

36. mocha
    7:56 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

head up everest, then i’ll be impressed.

37. tyrus
    8:22 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

#36 Qurious, what’s the highest altitude you have backpacked?

38. tyrus
    8:22 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

Meant curious the 36

39. Common Sense
    8:23 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

Bravo
    I am not messing with you. I am just telling you how I feel and how I think you should feel. I mean everything I say with all due respect. It seems like we need to discuss this over some lunch, haha.

40. BravoBigBlue
    8:34 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

Common Sense – Get some please! I’m just messing with you. But I am lukewarm at best on Mitch. That Billy G hire was scary. Football is football. I don’t expect much and I usually don’t care much. I have liked a lot of players under Brooks and Joker. And some not so much. But honestly, as good a person as Joker seems to be, he lacks what it takes to succeed at Kentucky in the SEC. He lacks imagination. A coach at Kentucky needs to be innovative and willing to take risks.

41. Common Sense
    10:23 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

Bravo
    The Billy G hire was scary indeed, but I’m sure every AD has one (or more) bad hires. Joker’s offense is dull at times, but in recent memory, when UK tries to pull a trick play, 90% of the time it fails miserably. That’s just an execution problem. I remember we tried 2 against S. Carolina last year and we got our asses whipped! I think Joker has to have some imagination, hell he’s been an OC for the majority of his career! However, as a HC, I haven’t given up on him yet. UK lost a LOT last season; Cobb to the NFL and several big injuries, so you really can’t say you could expect much from that offense, right? This year’s offense will be much improved, but this team is extremely young and will struggle. This is 2005 all over again, you remember what happened afterwards!