Mike Woodson gets a contract extension

Many expected the New York Knicks to go after a high profile coach for next season, but they’ll just stick with Mike Woodson instead. The Knicks and Woodson are close to reaching a longterm deal worth enough money for everyone to quit suggesting New York is interested in John Calipari.┬áIt ain’t hapnin’.

With Miami heating up (see what I did there?) and eyeing the Eastern Conference finals, Erik Spoelstra will likely keep his job once LeBron and Co. reach the NBA Finals. When that happens, we can drop the Cal-to-the-Heat talk, too.

So, unless Calipari wants to be the biggest name in Charlotte or Orlando, Captain Orange Leaf is staying put right here in the Bluegrass.

Go Woodson.

Article written by Drew Franklin

8 Comments for Mike Woodson gets a contract extension

1. Musehobo
    12:08 pm May 22, 2012 Permalink

I heard he’s going to go coach the Detroit Red Wings

2. Dave
    12:10 pm May 22, 2012 Permalink

I think Miami has to make the conference finals before they can heat up in it.

3. bigbluebear
    12:11 pm May 22, 2012 Permalink

I say we add a million a year to his contract and make him the football recruiting coordinator.

4. Hoosierssss
    12:24 pm May 22, 2012 Permalink

I heard Cal wanted to go to IU but we didn’t want his stench to stink up Bloomington.

5. Jake_GOCATS
    12:30 pm May 22, 2012 Permalink

I heard Calipari wanted to go coach Indiana, but he didn’t want to be overshadowed by a school’s proud tradition that celebrates rushing the court after TWO wins in one season, and commemorating a Sweet Sixteen season. What a banner year.

6. theSkinny81
    12:34 pm May 22, 2012 Permalink

#4, so you settled for Clappy the Clown, instead?

7. Bradley
    12:56 pm May 22, 2012 Permalink

Knicks wouldn’t have Cal on their list and they wouldn’t be on his, but hey, I guess it was something to talk about.

8. Rich
    12:58 pm May 22, 2012 Permalink

I bet Spoelstra is gone no matter what. Especially if the Heat don’t win it all. If Cal decides against it, then he will finish his coaching career at UK. Going to be real tough to turn down the Miami job (more $, core group of young, talented and eager players to win multiple championships, nice city, cooperation with management). Plus the NCAA Championship he wanted is accomplished at this level. Also, throw in the fact he doesn’t have to deal with the petty NCAA anymore. Sometimes I wonder if recruits are hearing this as a possibility. Man I hope I am so wrong!