Mike Wallace’s Monday News and Views

wallace

Like many of you, I spent a good deal of today watching the Masters on television, live from (stealing Grantland.com’s analogy) the living embodiment of “Mad Men”, Augusta National. However as happens every year, the sounds of birds chirping couldn’t keep my attention and thus I spent a good portion of the day watching old interviews from Mike Wallace, the former 60 Minutes journalist who passed away today. From my youngest days, I can remember hearing the clock ticking at 7 pm on Sunday nights as voices would say, “I’m Mike Wallace, I’m Morley Safer, I’m Ed Bradley, I’m Lesley Stahl”, signaling the beginning of 60 Minutes at my house in Middlesboro. Mike Wallace was always the star of the show, the reporter who got the best assignments, asked the toughest questions and had the thickest black hair dye. His career spanned nearly 60 years, starting as a television spokesman for low-level commercial products and ending as one of the most feared journalists in America. My favorite Wallace moment I saw today was the one, in which he famously asked the Ayatollah if it was correct to call him a “lunatic”, as Egyptian President Anwar Sadat had done. Watch as Wallace asks the question wit the quote and then says, “forgive me, his words not mine” in order to soften the blow:

Wallace accused Nixon staffers of federal crimes to their face, was sued after suggesting US military leaders had lied before a Vietnam battle and aired the live administration of a physician assisted suicide drug by Jack Kevorkian. Wallace was the king of the tough question and over the years, he interviewed literally everyone who was anyone over the last half of the 20th century. He had a connection to Kentucky, as his reports on big tobacco in the 90s (and the subsequent decision by CBS not to air most of the interview of whistleblower Jeffry Wigand initially) were centered around Brown & Williamson in Louisville and became the basis of the movie “The Insider.”

Wallace also suffered from depression throughout his life, and became one of the first famous public figures to speak openly about his dealings with it. He spent the final couple of years of his life suffering from dementia, leaving behind a lifetime of work, some of which I watched today while Jim Nantz whispered in the background. If you are of a similar predilection, check out this University of Texas link of Wallace interviews from the late 50s, that includes fascinating conversations with Frank Lloyd Wright, Eleanor Roosevelt, Salvador Dali, Margaret Sanger, William Douglas and others, who left virtually no other television appearances. You also can see his fascinating documentary, “The Hate that Hate Produced” here, a look at the rise of the Nation of Islam in the late 1950s, that included the first televised interviews in America with Malcolm X. I spent much of the afternoon admiring his work beyond the ticking clock on Sunday nights, but even if that were all he had accomplished, he would still be considered one of the giants in television journalism history. He was 93 years old.

To the news:

— On a weekend where the Big Blue Nation collectively exhaled after a long ride to a national championship, the building blocks for the future continued. John Calipari visits across the land, the Nike Hoop Summit and transfer decisions kicked off what will be the biggest recruiting week of the year for Kentucky. Both Shabazz Muhammad and Nerlens Noel will both make their decisions on Wednesday and speculation continues to run wild as to what each will do. Both were part of the Nike Hoop Summit this weekend, with Shabazz breaking Enes Kanter’s point record for the event by scoring 35 in a loss. Speculation is everywhere as to what the players will do, although most still think Noel is a Kentucky lean with Shabazz split between UCLA and the Cats. Shabazz said this weekend that he wanted to win a championship, a result that seems unlikely in Los Angeles. But at this point, all analysis is simply guesswork based on tea leaves and has little basis. If UK gets both guys on Wednesday, they will potentially be preseason #1 next year and will fight to repeat. Get one and the Cats are preseason top 5. Get neither, and then Kentucky may have to scramble a bit and the season is more up in the air…although with Calipari, worrying seems to be a waste of time.

— Technically speaking, the NCAA Draft deadline is on Tuesday, but Kentucky players are all taking until April 29 to make their decision. The NCAA says that players must let their schools know if they are returning by Tuesday, but UK is likely getting around that by having all the players say they are returning and then the ones that want to go on the 29th simply just leave then. At this point, it seems most likely that UK gets no returning players out of the top 6, but glimmers of hope still exist with Marquis Teague (the most likely to return), Doron Lamb (potentially the lowest projected player of the group) and MKG (the player whose projection in the draft might most affect his decision). In the end, I think all go, with the possible exception of Teague, depending on how the next three weeks play out. MKG would like to return, but like with Cousins and Knight before him, it may simply be the case that he is so good, no other choice but leaving makes sense.

— I dont want to spend much time on this, but it is worth noting. Bobby Knight took another shot at UK this weekend, saying that he saw no problem with calling Kentucky “that team from the SEC”, but guessing that UK fans got upset because they didnt know that was where they played. It is a dumb and unfunny remark, but I found it interesting because it showcases just how much the narrative about UK and Calipari has changed in a year. 12 months ago, mainstream journalists like Pat Forde, Jeff Goodman and Pete Thamel would regularly take such shots at Calipari and were rarely called on it outside the state of Kentucky. Now, even they have to agree that Cal/UK is worthy of praise, and all we are left with is old, irrelevant codgers like Knight taking shots at casino speaking events. It actually makes me chuckle.

— Today on Twitter, Antoine Walker announced that he is retiring from basketball. Walker has made various attempts at comebacks over the last few years and he is now ready to hang it up at last. Walker is one of the more interesting figures in UK lore, a player that at his peak was the most talented individual on maybe the best team in UK history. He was an NBA All Star and could score in droves, at times being one of the 10-15 best players in the NBA. But he is not always remembered fondly due to his odd on-court behavior, weight issues and the way his career ended in Boston. Still, while at Kentucky, Walker was a beast and he still has my favorite quote in UK history. When asked why he shot so many threes, Walker said, “because there ain’t no fours.” We wish Antoine the best and I just did a little shimmy in honor of his basketball playing days.

We will get you ready for the biggest three-day recruiting period of the year for Kentucky tomorrow morning on the radio from 10-noon. Lots to talk about, including who we think will end up wearing the Blue and White next season. Until then, watch some Mike Wallace interviews, or just go to Keeneland and bet on whatever horse “Worldwide” Wesley Ward trains. He made KSR some good money this past weekend.

Article written by Matt Jones

43 Comments for Mike Wallace’s Monday News and Views

1. WhatSheOrder?FishFilet?
    10:43 pm April 8, 2012 Permalink

Confidence level on recruits (out of 10):

Noel – 9
    Shabazz – 6
    Bennett – 7
    Jefferson – 4 (higher if we don’t get Shabazz/Bennett)

2. Guest
    10:46 pm April 8, 2012 Permalink

1- That makes sense to me. I’d put Oriakhi at a 7, too. And of course, every time you add or subtract one, the numbers on the others change.

3. UK_Supporter76
    11:00 pm April 8, 2012 Permalink

As far as the loophole on the “declaration deadline”… This isn’t going to jack up our APR is it? Once they say that they are coming back are they going to count towards our APR even if they decide to leave later? That would be catastrophic.

4. like a bazz
    11:05 pm April 8, 2012 Permalink

article about bennett on zagsblog yesterday:

Bennett conceded that Kentucky-bound guard Archie Goodwin was in his ear “a lot.”

“Since the McDonald’s Game, I’ve been talking to Archie,” Bennett said.

Bennett also said he and Muhammad have had numerous conversations, but laughed when asked to elaborate.

“I can’t really say that, don’t want to give up too much,” Bennett said.

Have you guys talked about potentially playing together?

“Somewhat,” Bennett said.

5. like a bazz
    11:07 pm April 8, 2012 Permalink

3) you’d think that a guy would actually have to enroll for the semester in question to count towards anything … not that the ncaa ever really does anything that follows logic, it’s kind of like a woman

6. 00BBN00
    11:07 pm April 8, 2012 Permalink

If Noel, Muhammad, AND Bennett decide to come to UK, I’m going to do a dance. For real.

7. 00BBN00
    11:08 pm April 8, 2012 Permalink

3. If there was anyway it could hurt UK, I don’t think Cal would let the players do it.

8. blueblue
    11:10 pm April 8, 2012 Permalink

I figure since today was Easter, a famiy holiday, that Muhammad and Noel both probably made their decisions today. These young men always say they will talk to their families and then make a decision. They had to have some quality family time today.

9. HOB
    11:22 pm April 8, 2012 Permalink

Insider over at Cats Illustrated has said that Teague is gone, has good connections, too.

10. Hazard Kidd-Cat
    11:26 pm April 8, 2012 Permalink

Listened to the William Douglas Interview. Mainly because he came to Kentucky and hiked the Red River Gorge November 18, 1967: http://www.redriversaga.com/rrvd_03.html

11. Eric K
    11:27 pm April 8, 2012 Permalink

BBN enjoy! IN CAL WE TRUST!! GO CATS!!

12. OldSeaBlue
    11:34 pm April 8, 2012 Permalink

6 will DANCE!!!!!!!!!!

13. Hang9
    11:41 pm April 8, 2012 Permalink

Cal will get it done!! He always does. History repeats itself and we end up with the #1 class again. Cal smacks Rick in the mouth at the Chicken Box. We piss in Bob Knights dish. Run the SEC and HANG9….. LADIES AND GENTELMEN PLEASE WELCOME SHABAZZ TO THE SHOW!! GET EM CAL!!

14. oldblueblood
    11:42 pm April 8, 2012 Permalink

9 if he goes ok, Cal has a great plan for Super Harrow!!

15. Interesting
    11:45 pm April 8, 2012 Permalink

So what about Rodney hood at Mississippi state transferring… Wasn’t he a 5 star? Cats be interested?

16. Justin
    11:57 pm April 8, 2012 Permalink

idk why but shabazz just yells vacated wins at me…

17. Kaboom
    12:11 am April 9, 2012 Permalink

Any way WKU transfer Derrick Gordon comes to Kentucky and sits a year to play with whatever mega-class Cal in brewing in 2013 [Harrison twins, Jabari Parker, Julius Randle, Troy Williams]? Well it sounds good..

18. Kaboom
    12:13 am April 9, 2012 Permalink

15. Idk but I like where your heads at. Hell bring Swop to UK too!

19. Cking9698
    12:14 am April 9, 2012 Permalink

9- boy I sure hope they are wrong about Teague. I really thought he might come back. Next year he would be a lock to be the first pg taken thus improving his stock substantially.
    I hope we get all the recruits, but it’s clear Cal will have his work cut out for him.

I don’t think we will see another team like ’12 for a while.

People can say what they will, but I believe this ’12 team will be remembered as our greatest in the future due to the fact of their youth, and that these kids like Davis and MKG will be franchise NBA players. 96 may have been better, but it did not produce a true franchise building dominant member of the NBA.

This coming year will be fun, but it’s clear that this years overalll class in general is not as talented as what lies in ’13 & ’14. We are in the middle of a glory run for the program. Let’s all enjoy the ride and think about how special Cals first three teams have been.

20. Blue Jesus
    12:26 am April 9, 2012 Permalink

9pril?

21. SeaBlue
    12:28 am April 9, 2012 Permalink

19) NBA scouts say this is a weak year coming up.
    So a couple stars like Bazz and Noel or Bennett,
    then we are golden!!!!! I will take 9.

22. Jarweed
    12:40 am April 9, 2012 Permalink

Frank Lloyd Wright calls it like he sees it in the Wallace interview. Two things you immediately notice … journalists don’t ask tough questions anymore, and famous people don’t answer as honestly as Wright did in that interview.

23. Buckets
    12:51 am April 9, 2012 Permalink

Mike Wallace? Never heard of him. Mostly because I’m not 80.

24. realdeal333
    1:06 am April 9, 2012 Permalink

What about Devonta Pollard? He is still undecided and I thought we was high on his list. May not be Shabazz but the guy looks more versatile to me anyways.

25. realdeal333
    1:08 am April 9, 2012 Permalink

KSR is the best but why dont you all still do updates on all the former players in the pro’s. Maybe once a week give stats. I know that you all use to do that.

26. curly turd
    1:08 am April 9, 2012 Permalink

MJ watches way too much TV

27. Chase
    1:30 am April 9, 2012 Permalink

fyi: new WBA video out…. best yet by far

28. FreedomCat
    2:31 am April 9, 2012 Permalink

Read ‘The Fatal Conceit’ to understand how bad Sanger, Douglas,
    Roosevelt and Wright were. Their superior intelligence gives them
    the right to control us, the stupid little serfs/peons that we are.

29. Brad
    6:05 am April 9, 2012 Permalink

You guys need to make it easier to listen to the radio show. Have a button you can press that will take you to the last show played. Or am I missing something? I have been coming to this site daily for the past 3-4 years and I have yet to listen to a show. Love your site by the way.

30. patrick from ht
    6:44 am April 9, 2012 Permalink

Unless we get Shabazz, we are rebuilding next year.

31. barn
    7:04 am April 9, 2012 Permalink

wednesday will come and go and we will probably still be waiting with bated breath for either noel’s and or shabazz’s decision

32. This Dude Eighty Eight
    7:17 am April 9, 2012 Permalink

Great work, Matt! Too Bad we all have arena envy.

33. SexnNursinHomes
    7:25 am April 9, 2012 Permalink

I always knew it was time to turn the channel when 60 Minutes came on.
    The guy lived to be 93. Must have been living that long due to the ancient Chinese practice of eating human souls. Just saying. They do that stuff over there.

I feel bad Walker is retiring, I mean what’s he gonna do for money now? He was sharing an apt. with his teammate for $915 a month. Can we do a Food Drive or a Money Charity event for Walker and making all proceeds unabled to be spent in a casino hall? I got $20 on it.

34. The Joke
    7:28 am April 9, 2012 Permalink

Why aren’t you talking football? We have begun Operation Save My Butt. Gonna be a great year! Even Chane says we will be 12-0 and the best team in the country.

35. Bradley
    7:47 am April 9, 2012 Permalink

15. I would take Hood in a second. That kid can flat play. Not sure if he is allowed to go to another SEC school, but he’s certainly good enough to play for us.

36. fred
    8:16 am April 9, 2012 Permalink

One week l8r still feels gr8… how long til madness?

37. Atlanta Alumni Club
    8:16 am April 9, 2012 Permalink

Watched the Masters. Loved it when the grinning gay triple bogeyed that par 3.

38. jjjjjjjjjj
    8:30 am April 9, 2012 Permalink

If Antoine Walker had his head screwed on straight, he would have been one of the top 5 players ever to play the game. In his first two seasons, he started and excelled at all five positions. Even averaged ten assists during the games he started at the point during that stretch. Then he let fame and fortune get to him and we all know the rest of the story.

39. jjjjjjjjjj
    8:31 am April 9, 2012 Permalink

I want Nine!

40. BBN
    9:04 am April 9, 2012 Permalink

I still think the comments Shabazz’s father made about Ben Howland after that very embarrassing magazine article on the UCLA program was published revealed the writing on the wall (Shabazz to UCLA). His father showed public support for Howland by excusing his mistakes and even justifying some of his behavior. In my view, his father could not have been more obvious that his son was going to sign with UCLA. Otherwise, why comment at all?

41. Big Dog
    9:52 am April 9, 2012 Permalink

Will somebody please ask Bob Knight what he thinks about those one and done kids at his boy’s program DUKE?

42. I do agree with all of the ideas you have offered in your post. They’re very convincing and will definitely work. Nonetheless, the posts are too quick for starters. May just you please extend them a bit from next time? Thanks for the post.