58-13303lead_art_verticalprod_affiliate74

It looks like the concept suggested by Steve Spurrier and pushed by John Calipari won’t be going away anytime soon.  At least, not in the SEC.  In a Q&A with a Louisianna newspaper, SEC Commissioner stressed the importance of looking towards the future and not getting mired in the traditions of the past.

Question: I know you really wanted to start a discussion on the idea of providing players a stipend of some sort. Steve Spurrier’s proposal to pay players $300 a game from coaches’ salaries got some support in Destin, but what did you think of the idea? How long will it take for serious dialogue on a national scale?

Answer: “When coach Spurrier raised that issue, that’s something that obviously can’t be done. I’m sure the coaches knew that and I interpreted it to mean that they felt the concept of full-cost of attendance was more than what needed to be explored and that’s what I had been saying prior to the meetings. I do believe that full-cost of attendance will be a serious topic of discussion nationally and I wouldn’t be surprised if that dialogue begins sometime within the next year. When I say year, I mean academic year, on a national scale. We have encouraged that dialogue.”

Q: Do you see a future when players get some type of stipend or extra money?

A: “We’re not talking about pay-for-play or just a stipend. I think what we’re talking about is, every institution has a full-cost of attendance figure that involves dealing with the federal government in financial aid matters. The question is what is that number compared to the definition of a scholarship, room/board, tuition, fees and books, and then looking at that number versus the scholarship number and what’s the differential.

“No one has suggested that this is an easy thing to do. There’s no doubt there will be considerable dialogue for lots of different reasons but, in my mind, this is a concept whose time has come.”

Having just looked it up myself, ‘full-cost of attendance’ basically amounts to exactly what it sounds like.  How much it costs to complete a full year of school at a university – this includes school fees, books, living expenses and yes, even some personal expenses.  Basically, by suggesting that people should be looking at the full-cost of attendance figure and adjusting financial aid for athletes, Slive is attempting to find a middle ground between the pay-the-players and anti-payment camps.  This is how national dialogues begin, with a unified compromise and starting out point.  Where it goes from here, only time will tell.

Article written by Will Lentz

10 Comments for Mike Slive Says: Sharing The Wealth With Players “Is A Concept Whose Time Has Come”

1. Brewer
    6:36 pm July 9, 2011 Permalink

He raises some good points- the issue is more complicated than a lot of people realize due to financial aid/government regulations, etc. But I think it’ll happen sooner than we expect

2. Austin
    6:53 pm July 9, 2011 Permalink

Here’s a suggestion….allow players to have summer jobs. It’s not exactly hard to do.

3. Mr Schwump
    7:02 pm July 9, 2011 Permalink

$300 a game? Hell, Ohio State takes a pay cut at that rate.

4. tdogg4033011
    7:45 pm July 9, 2011 Permalink

2) I agree with that, but you know and I know showing up to Keenland for 2 minutes
    isn’t worth 500.00 or whatever they would get paid. Not that I care but that wouldn’t
    work out to well I don’t think.

5. bigbill992001
    9:08 pm July 9, 2011 Permalink

#3-just think of the pay cut Cam would have taken. That’s assuming that under the table would miraculously disappear with pay-for-play. Anyone really think $300 is enough to stop it?

Slive-“We’re not talking about pay for play”………..just paying the players to play. So, when’s the NCAA draft begin?

6. Don Rickles
    9:45 pm July 9, 2011 Permalink

I give the NCAA five years tops. The big conferences will split off and create their own alliance. That will leave the NCAA with nothing, and the it will become the equivalent of NAIA.

7. mudcreekmark
    10:16 pm July 9, 2011 Permalink

This is my opinion on the subject. The free education is more than the average person gets, thus they are already getting paid to play. However, I think if there are Playstation games or other games made with their likeness or their names are used then they should make money from it.

8. pccatsfan
    6:55 am July 10, 2011 Permalink

7 – I always disagree with the argument that the free education is enough reward. Many students get a free education via other types of scholarships. They don’t make millions of dollars for their school and the NCAA. Plus they are also allowed to have jobs to earn money for personal expenses. The NCAA prohibits the players from having jobs, because of all the abuses that occurred. I’m all for the athletes being paid some reasonable amount, beyond the free education.

9. Matt in Franklin
    8:15 am July 10, 2011 Permalink

They get a free education people!!! At UK that’s around $80K!!! If they have to scrimp and save for 4 years, BIG DEAL!! Maybe, just maybe, they will learn some responsibilty during this time before they get out in the REAL WORLD!!

10. barn
    10:09 am July 10, 2011 Permalink

ridiculous idea. they already get paid: free tuition; free books; free rooom; free food; free tutors; all the things i had to pay dearly for by working beaucoup overtime while sending my kid to UK. if athletes begin receiving this ‘stipend’, who do you think will ultimately pay for it? right. schleps like me who actually have to work to get their kid an education. as far as the ncaa prohibiting them from getting a job—so what? why would they need one?