Mike DeCourcy names Kentucky his “most disappointing team” this season

Mike DeCourcy is handing out midseason awards, and the Cats got one that’s not so flattering: Most Disappointing Team.

1. Kentucky. Is it fair to judge a team with so many freshmen so harshly? Honestly, we’re not trying to be harsh. Perhaps it’s just that if you look at our preseason top 25, almost everyone included is doing roughly as well as expected. Except UK. And perhaps it’s the bar that was set for this group of Wildcats by their predecessors. But it’s also giving up 40 points to a mid-teens scorer and losing at home to a middling Baylor squad. Kentucky can do better.

The Cats are followed by North Carolina, West Virginia, Texas and Oregon State. It’s not all bad; DeCourcy also names Nerlens Noel his fourth best freshman, behind Marcus Smart, Anthony Bennett and Shabazz Muhammad.

Let’s hope that when DeCourcy hands out his end of the season awards, the Cats will end up as the Most Surprising Team.

32 Comments for Mike DeCourcy names Kentucky his “most disappointing team” this season

1. AJH
    10:40 am January 17, 2013 Permalink

CAN’T WAIT FOR THE BACHELOR TO COME ON MONDAY!!!!!!!!

2. Crizzle
    10:40 am January 17, 2013 Permalink

STOOOOOPSSSS

3. Crizzle
    10:41 am January 17, 2013 Permalink

Tom Brady for heisman

4. btowncatfan
    10:46 am January 17, 2013 Permalink

As as Cat fan can’t say I disagree with his assessment.

5. Will S
    10:48 am January 17, 2013 Permalink

UNC would have to be a close 2nd.

6. Biglaw Dawgin'
    10:50 am January 17, 2013 Permalink

I hate to say it, but at this point I have to agree. Even though most of us true UK fans “in the know” thought the #3 ranking was a little hight to begin with. Aside – Tyler, have you started taking your images from Corey’s stock of eyesores?

7. UKfanNKY
    10:50 am January 17, 2013 Permalink

As much as I love the CATS, always have and always will I have to agree they are abit disappointing this year. GO CATS!!!

8. ChicagoCat
    10:50 am January 17, 2013 Permalink

Always liked DeCourcy. Very well thought-out opinions and pieces, largely unbiased. I also tend to agree with both assessments, including Noel’s rank. In hindsight, this team should not have been ranked so high to start the season, and perhaps then our current state wouldn’t be such a “surprise”, but it is what it is.

9. UK Fan
    10:51 am January 17, 2013 Permalink

Most disappointing UK team I can remember

10. emlang08
    10:52 am January 17, 2013 Permalink

I would Disagree, I would say the most disappointing Team of the season would have to be the group of Morons that had UK ranked Preseason #3 without one returning Starter!

11. Bob Cobb
    10:52 am January 17, 2013 Permalink

Bozich?

12. Big Blue 66
    10:52 am January 17, 2013 Permalink

a friend of mine is looking for a Calipari signed ball to give to a friend this weekend…anybody have one for sale? or lying around the house getting in your way? lol [email protected]

13. emlang08
    10:53 am January 17, 2013 Permalink

That said, Fresh on the Radio…..

Manti Vanilli

Girl you know its true, ew, ew, ew, I love you!

14. Big Blue 66
    10:53 am January 17, 2013 Permalink

9. how can you type so well for 3 years old….lol

15. SexnNursinHomes
    10:55 am January 17, 2013 Permalink

I like Mike Decourcy, but he can lick my balls

16. JKUK
    10:57 am January 17, 2013 Permalink

I take offense to that part about us giving up 40. He was gonna score 40 no matter what we did to him. He was just on fire that day

17. jaaaayyyyyy
    10:59 am January 17, 2013 Permalink

Yep, I’m disappointed, and anyone who disagrees must just not care or have any expectations at all. However, if they can turn it around and make an elite 8 or final four then the initial disappointment will be worth it. This is the only year in the last 8 years I don’t bother watching a good portion of the games, and I’ve missed some completely (which is unheard of for me).

18. MemphisCat
    10:59 am January 17, 2013 Permalink

I don’t care about what anyone thinks about our team, as long as they finish strong and become the team Cal expects, and win a few games in the NCAA, I will happy.

19. emlang08
    11:07 am January 17, 2013 Permalink

#17 and #18, agree with the you, #17 not the latter portion, I don’t Miss a Minute. We are given 40 Min X however many games we play, and I am not missing one. Same goes for all 2-10 of the football season, Part of being a Fan, gotta take the good with the Bad!

20. asf
    11:10 am January 17, 2013 Permalink

The assessment is accurate, though in the last few weeks, Noel has been best freshman in the country. Still his season as a whole is probably about 3rd or 4th.

21. Coach Jamin
    11:22 am January 17, 2013 Permalink

I’m actually not surprised, neither am I disappointed. Unfortunately, Cal has spoiled us. We need to realize these boys are just freshmen. They are developing like freshmen. There’s nothing wrong with that. Kentucky basketball will be fine. We may not make the final four this year. So what? Odds are in our favor with coaching, talent, recruiting, and development that we’ll be back in the final four next season and probably the following season. We’re not gonna have a special class like Davis and MKG every year, and though it’s difficult, we have to take off the blue lens glasses and look at it realistically. These are freshmen and right now, they are playing like freshmen.

22. RaleighCat
    11:32 am January 17, 2013 Permalink

#17- a run to the Elite Eight or Final Four is crazy talk. We’ll be lucky to reach the Sweet 16 and maybe even lucky to make the tourney. Only FL and Mizzou remain on our schedule that will generate any buzz for us. Squeaking past Vandy, UT, etc. isn’t going to help our cause.

I’m disapointed in the overall lack of improvement and hustle from Poythress, Wiltjer, Mays. Goodwin, Harrow and WCS are playing about like I figured they would. Only Noel is playing like he truly wants to be great. Like he truly understands what it takes to win. He’s a beast.

It was inevidible that this team would think winning comes easily after watching last year’s team. But it’s mid-January and we just aren’t a very smart team. The effort just isn’t consistent enough. And that’s disapointing.

23. Jughead
    12:23 pm January 17, 2013 Permalink

If Cal gets this sorry lot (apologies to Noel) to play well by March, he’s a miracle worker. These guys just lack the will to win.

24. KWHY?
    12:23 pm January 17, 2013 Permalink

I JUST HOPE CAL’S NOT SLIPPING IN HIS EVALUATION…ALL SUMMER HE SAID ARCHIE GOODWIN WAS A TENACIOUS DEFENDER….I GUESS LOCKING DOWN ON TWANNY AND SAM MALONE DON’T COUNT FOR MUCH THESE DAYS.

25. tickle
    12:29 pm January 17, 2013 Permalink

if we can somehow just manage to get in the tourny and win about 6 games i’ll be happy. i’m not hard to please

26. Jmanly
    1:26 pm January 17, 2013 Permalink

#24 Well said. Apparently, during Camp Cal, Archie forgot to put his glue up and it got all over his hands.

27. lonnieb
    1:35 pm January 17, 2013 Permalink

I cant believe the one guy watched the games for the past 8 years (BCG era) and does not watch now……douche

28. the Big Dog
    1:42 pm January 17, 2013 Permalink

Don’t get me wrong- I bleed blue. However, how can we disagree with his assessment of this team at this stage of the season. We were picked third in the nation and we barely beat Vandy which lost to Arkansas by 20 the next week; we barely beat UT, and have home losses to Baylor and Texas A&M in games that were not that close in the final minutes of the games. Of course, hope springs eternal and there is still time to turn it around.

29. Logical
    1:50 pm January 17, 2013 Permalink

Do people not realize that the same media has both overhyped us and then said we failed to meet expectations. I could write an equally valid story titled “Sports Media Worst Pre-Season Evaluations of the Year.” My point: What they say doesn’t matter, what teams do in March does.

30. Beavis
    5:36 pm January 17, 2013 Permalink

So,,,,let me get this right,,,,,this guy thinks Noel is the fourth best freshman in the country,,,,,and the NBA scouts think he may be the number one pick in the draft. Who is the better judge of talent ? I am sorry Mr DeCourcy,,,the way Noel is playing he is the best freshman in the country.

31. In Cal I trust
    6:15 pm January 17, 2013 Permalink

30) The best player and number one pick are apples and oranges. The draft is more about potential then who is the best now.
    29) I was thinking the same thing. How can UK be such a disappointment. The media ranked us 5 even though all our main players but Wiltjer hadn’t player the first game in a Kentucky jersey. This team was vastly overrated. Cal.has spoiled us all. This team is playing like freshmen should, our other freshmen were just special with just enough upperclassmen to make it work.

32. Beavis
    6:21 am January 18, 2013 Permalink

# 31,,,,I repeat,,,,who is the best judge of talent? DeCourcy or the NBA scouts that do this for a living ? With that win now mentality,,,the NBA teams are looking for players that can come in and produce immediately,,,not five years down the road.