Michael Waltrip to drive a UK car at Kentucky Speedway

When NASCAR comes rolling through Sparta, Kentucky on June 29-30, Michael Waltrip will easily be the fan favorite out on the pavement. The two-time Daytona 500 winner is planning to race in a car dedicated to Kentucky’s 8th NCAA Championship in either the Nationwide event or the Sprint Cup’s Quaker State 400.

This isn’t the first time Waltrip has played to the fans; he raced in an Auburn car at Talladega after the Tigers won the title in college football in 2011. But we won’t hold that against the Owensboro native because he is a diehard UK basketball fan through and through.

Go Waltrip.

Article written by Drew Franklin

34 Comments for Michael Waltrip to drive a UK car at Kentucky Speedway

1. rainman
    2:20 pm May 7, 2012 Permalink

Why so pissed Mikey?

2. Brother Darrell
    2:28 pm May 7, 2012 Permalink

The title should have been:
    “Michael Waltrip to wreck a UK car at Kentucky Speedway”

3. Here Ya Go!
    2:30 pm May 7, 2012 Permalink

I found this tool useful for understanding the Archie Goodwin viedo posted early on this site.

4. #Rise
    2:31 pm May 7, 2012 Permalink

2…lol. How many people are going to be stuck on the highway again this year?

5. WhatSheOrder?FishFilet?
    2:34 pm May 7, 2012 Permalink

he gets it

6. Billy Bob
    2:51 pm May 7, 2012 Permalink

Kentucky Neckcar Radio.

7. BuyAmerican
    2:52 pm May 7, 2012 Permalink

Personally I don’t want anything UK on a damn Toyota. Nascar got greedy a few years back and sold out to foreign nameplates in what was one of the last true sports that America could call it’s own. No REAL and true Nascar fan will ever pull for any driver in a Toyota. What’s next changing the Daytona 500 to the Kia 500.

8. UK Wildcat
    2:53 pm May 7, 2012 Permalink

NASCAR is even more boring than horse racing.

9. cgivens21
    2:54 pm May 7, 2012 Permalink

Meanwhile, Rick Pitino will be pedaling a UofL Little Tykes car in the infield.

10. tltaworl
    2:55 pm May 7, 2012 Permalink

7. You don’t know what you are talking about. Toyota’s are more american made than Chevy.

11. slim
    2:56 pm May 7, 2012 Permalink

Better hope he qualifies!

12. tltaworl
    3:01 pm May 7, 2012 Permalink

Toyota employees over 8,000 Kentuckians. More than double of Ford.

13. Yeah says yeah
    3:02 pm May 7, 2012 Permalink

I’m a die hard auburn football fan and a die hard Kentucky basketball fan so I like this guy he did something for both of my schools! War eagle! go cats!

14. Mike Honcho
    3:19 pm May 7, 2012 Permalink

If you’re not first you’re last!!!

15. Mike Honcho
    3:23 pm May 7, 2012 Permalink

I can believe #1 didn’t say it.

16. Mike Honcho
    3:23 pm May 7, 2012 Permalink

**can’t

17. RichVegasCat
    3:26 pm May 7, 2012 Permalink

Just something else for Louisville fans to cry about. #9…your my hero.

18. kywildcat
    3:26 pm May 7, 2012 Permalink

Car will be destroyed by lap 10

19. minton
    3:29 pm May 7, 2012 Permalink

#7, It is a fact that Toyota’s are the most American car manufactured in the world. Look at the sticker on the inside of your door and see where your Chevy or Ford was made; chances are, either Mexico or Canada.

20. nascar fan1
    3:30 pm May 7, 2012 Permalink

Look! Der maykin a left turrn! Look! Der maykin anudder left turrn!

21. DerbyDemon
    3:35 pm May 7, 2012 Permalink

#9–Absolutely hysterical! Oh, and why does this guy look like someone’s holding a small turd under his nose?

22. SexnNursinHomes
    3:37 pm May 7, 2012 Permalink

21- hahaha. Probably because someone is.

23. King Kelly Coleman
    4:15 pm May 7, 2012 Permalink

@#19….My Chevy Silverado was assembled in Fort Wayne, IN.

24. BNClay
    4:28 pm May 7, 2012 Permalink

Toyota not only directly employees 1000’s of Kentuckians, but Toyota indirectly supports several other manufacturing plants around central Kentucky because they order alot of parts and materials from them.

On another note M. Waltrip can’t drive worth a crap anymore. Had a couple of good years with DEI, but my bet is he would be driving a UK car right into the wall, and 38th place finish.

Would be cool to see a solid blue #8 car though. Is #8 currently in use by anyone?

25. Jaybird86
    4:50 pm May 7, 2012 Permalink

I width they would let Kyle Busch drive the UK car so atleast it would have a chance at winning.

26. Boogity Boogity
    4:59 pm May 7, 2012 Permalink

24 – No one uses the 8 right now, but it is unlikely the 8 will show up as the car #. It will likely be the 55 car if it is in the Sprint Cup series with the hood and/or side panels being dedicated to UK.
    25 – Agreed, KY Bush will likely win. At least his name is usually printed KY (due to his brother Kurt) and I usually refer to him as Kentucky Busch due to his dominance here.
    Additionally, consider MW is likely coming out of pocket, or at least not taking other sponsorship for this race due to his love for Kentucky and our basketball team. He has always been a great ambassador for this state and even though he is a little quirky and not quite the best driver out there, he’s still a great guy doing a great thing.

So until he wipes out half the field… Go Mikey

27. ACKWELL FOLEY
    5:29 pm May 7, 2012 Permalink

BOOGITY, BOOGITY, BOOGITY

28. ACKWELL FOLEY
    5:30 pm May 7, 2012 Permalink

#9, I THOUGHT IT WAS A BIG WHEEL, OR WAS IT A POWER WHEELS? POW, POW POWER WHEELS!

29. john4uk
    5:34 pm May 7, 2012 Permalink

I hope he has a diecast model of the car he will be dribing in the race.Would be a nice addition to UK collection of this year.

30. Owensboro CatFan
    6:49 pm May 7, 2012 Permalink

Owensboro doesn’t claim that dude.

31. nolablue
    8:20 pm May 7, 2012 Permalink

Just got home from Talladega. One of Michael Waltrip Racing’s cars was for the Crimson Tide BCS Championship.
    I guess this is a new gimmick for Mike The Mouth. It seemed to make all the ‘Bama fans there pretty happy,
    but I did hear the same sentiments about Toyota. And I tend to agree. I don’t care if they employ every
    Kentuckian in the country in their stupid factories, they need to be the **** out of NASCAR. The “KIA 500”
    is not far off. And why not allow British and German cars in too? And Chinese? To heck with all that.
    I hate it. Hate hate hate seein’ Toyotas out there. Oh well. I’d rather be at the track loving NASCAR
    and hating Toyotas than be at home watching something else. Unless a UK basketball game is on, of course.

Amazingly, Waltrip did not cause the big wreck or any wreck at ‘Dega this weekend.
    Wonders never cease.

Also, listening to the Hendrick team in the scanner was a real earful. Jeffy is not too pleased
    with Junior about something or other. The “f bombs” were making my ears burn!

32. Crime Dog
    9:02 pm May 7, 2012 Permalink

Looks like Waltrip won that hat playing the claw crane game at the Manchester Wal-Mart.

33. BNClay
    9:28 pm May 7, 2012 Permalink

32 I doubt it… I have seen people play that claw game, and it is unwinnable, and even if you could win, best thing you could get would be a fuzzy basketball…. nothing close to a genuine napa cap.

34. #1ljcat
    8:13 am May 8, 2012 Permalink

#31 i agree with you, Its a shame that Toyota is in NASCAR at all, these so called Americans on this board that like to watch and see Talladega/daytona have a toyota pace car must be proud, to all in our family this has started the downfall of NASCAR, we rarely watch anymore, when i have to watch a Punk like Kyle Busch drive in a toyota and get away with the crap he pulls every year, then you can keep it. We just wont watch anymore. And i used to be a fan of Mike and Darrel waltrip but not anymore, they have both sold out to Toyota, when both of them made their money and careers from winning in Chevy’s, so Please Owensboro take them back.. And for all you Tyota Homers, if you like to support foreign companies thats your business, my family will only support GM and Ford, and my vehicles are all built in America by Americans, Wake Up.