For the best in everything, MKG goes Krogering. Michael Kidd-Gilchrist took a break from his autograph signing tour to enjoy a popsicle while making his rounds at Kroger. It’s easy to forget sometimes as we watch these talented players perform on the biggest of stages–that they are still just kids. Kidd-Gilchrist and the other departing Kentucky Wildcats have been doing a tremendous job of reaching out to Big Blue Nation over the past few weeks. They have been signing autographs, taking pictures and visiting the fans all over the state of Kentucky. While a few complaints have been made about the cost of the autographs, the general reaction from fans has been that the players have done their best to make the experience worthwhile, sometimes even staying late to try to reach everyone. According to Sanders, “Mike has been great with the fans and kids. Everyone is complimenting him on how nice he is with every single fan.”
To keep up with the latest in the MKG autograph tour, follow @Chad_Sanders on Twitter. He has been with him every step up the way and has also been tweeting out some great MKG pictures at various stops.
– The big news of the day for UK athletics came in the form of 2 Kentucky football players being drafted to the NFL. Winston Guy and Danny Trevathan were both selected in the 6th round of the NFL Draft. Winston Guy was selected by the Seattle Seahawks with the 181st overall pick. Shortly after, Danny Trevathan was selected by the Denver Broncos with the 188th overall pick. Trevathan will join three former Kentucky players already on the Denver roster: Jacob Tamme, Wesley Woodyard and Jeremy Jarmon. New favorite NFL team for UK fans?
– Following the conclusion of the draft, news began to trickle in regarding other Kentucky football players and their NFL futures. Punter Ryan Tydlacka signed a Free Agent contract with the Philadelphia Eagles. Linebacker Ronnie Sneed signed a Free Agent contract with the Detroit Lions. And finally (at least for now), offensive tackle Chandler Burden signed a Free Agent contract with the Tennessee Titans. Congratulations and good luck to all of the former Wildcats.
– A few recruiting tidbits surfaced today, including a comment on Anthony Bennett by Nerlens Noel to ESPN radio and yet another 2013 Top 10 prospect listing Kentucky as a favorite. Nerlens Noel told ESPN Radio regarding Anthony Bennett that “in my heart I feel like he’s liking Kentucky.” James Young, a 2013 shooting guard (Top 10), revealed that Kentucky is currently his favorite–though he has not yet been offered a scholarship.
– Speaking of scholarship offers, Mislav Brzoja’s high school coach spoke out about his official visit to Kentucky earlier this week. Though Brzoja apparently enjoyed his visit, greatly impressed by Calipari, he has not been offered a scholarship for next season by the coaching staff yet either.
– The UK baseball team dropped the second game in their series with Vanderbilt in Nashville by a final score of 4-3. The Wildcats came up just short, though they put up a valiant late game comeback. Down 3-0 entering the 8th inning, Kentucky clawed back to tie the game. Vandy scored on a triple in the bottom of the 8th to reclaim the lead and tie the series at 1-1. The rubber match will take place tomorrow afternoon.
– If you can’t get enough of Stone Cold Willow and his journey toward throwing out the 1st pitch for the Lexington Legends game, check out the video below of Willow and KSR’s Drew Franklin. The video includes the car ride to the game, the phone call to wish him good luck from Dave “Buzz” Baker and the pitch itself. Willow has said that it was the best night of his life and the video helps document some of the emotion and excitement around it.
– In sad non-UK related news, two NBA players suffered season-ending ACL injuries. The playoffs, always an exciting time of year, have gotten off to a grim start. Derrick Rose of the Chicago Bulls and Iman Shumpert of the New York Knicks are both big losses for their respective teams moving forward. Best of luck to the two as they rehab and hopefully return to form as soon as possible.
– **Update: Per his Twitter account, former Kentucky football player Randall Burden will be joining the Arizona Cardinals along with former teammates Ricky Lumpkin and Alfonso Smith. Former Kentucky CB Anthony Mosley has also signed with the 49ers.
See you guys tomorrow…