MKG and His Ice Cream Want Late Night Notes

For the best in everything, MKG goes Krogering. Michael Kidd-Gilchrist took a break from his autograph signing tour to enjoy a popsicle while making his rounds at Kroger. It’s easy to forget sometimes as we watch these talented players perform on the biggest of stages–that they are still just kids. Kidd-Gilchrist and the other departing Kentucky Wildcats have been doing a tremendous job of reaching out to Big Blue Nation over the past few weeks. They have been signing autographs, taking pictures and visiting the fans all over the state of Kentucky. While a few complaints have been made about the cost of the autographs, the general reaction from fans has been that the players have done their best to make the experience worthwhile, sometimes even staying late to try to reach everyone. According to Sanders, “Mike has been great with the fans and kids. Everyone is complimenting him on how nice he is with every single fan.”

To keep up with the latest in the MKG autograph tour, follow @Chad_Sanders on Twitter. He has been with him every step up the way and has also been tweeting out some great MKG pictures at various stops.

– The big news of the day for UK athletics came in the form of 2 Kentucky football players being drafted to the NFL. Winston Guy and Danny Trevathan were both selected in the 6th round of the NFL Draft. Winston Guy was selected by the Seattle Seahawks with the 181st overall pick. Shortly after, Danny Trevathan was selected by the Denver Broncos with the 188th overall pick. Trevathan will join three former Kentucky players already on the Denver roster: Jacob Tamme, Wesley Woodyard and Jeremy Jarmon. New favorite NFL team for UK fans?

– Following the conclusion of the draft, news began to trickle in regarding other Kentucky football players and their NFL futures. Punter Ryan Tydlacka signed a Free Agent contract with the Philadelphia Eagles. Linebacker Ronnie Sneed signed a Free Agent contract with the Detroit Lions. And finally (at least for now), offensive tackle Chandler Burden signed a Free Agent contract with the Tennessee Titans. Congratulations and good luck to all of the former Wildcats.

– A few recruiting tidbits surfaced today, including a comment on Anthony Bennett by Nerlens Noel to ESPN radio and yet another 2013 Top 10 prospect listing Kentucky as a favorite. Nerlens Noel told ESPN Radio regarding Anthony Bennett that “in my heart I feel like he’s liking Kentucky.” James Young, a 2013 shooting guard (Top 10), revealed that Kentucky is currently his favorite–though he has not yet been offered a scholarship.

– Speaking of scholarship offers, Mislav Brzoja’s high school coach spoke out about his official visit to Kentucky earlier this week. Though Brzoja apparently enjoyed his visit, greatly impressed by Calipari, he has not been offered a scholarship for next season by the coaching staff yet either.

The UK baseball team dropped the second game in their series with Vanderbilt in Nashville by a final score of 4-3. The Wildcats came up just short, though they put up a valiant late game comeback. Down 3-0 entering the 8th inning, Kentucky clawed back to tie the game. Vandy scored on a triple in the bottom of the 8th to reclaim the lead and tie the series at 1-1. The rubber match will take place tomorrow afternoon.

– If you can’t get enough of Stone Cold Willow and his journey toward throwing out the 1st pitch for the Lexington Legends game, check out the video below of Willow and KSR’s Drew Franklin. The video includes the car ride to the game, the phone call to wish him good luck from Dave “Buzz” Baker and the pitch itself. Willow has said that it was the best night of his life and the video helps document some of the emotion and excitement around it.
– In sad non-UK related news, two NBA players suffered season-ending ACL injuries. The playoffs, always an exciting time of year, have gotten off to a grim start. Derrick Rose of the Chicago Bulls and Iman Shumpert of the New York Knicks are both big losses for their respective teams moving forward. Best of luck to the two as they rehab and hopefully return to form as soon as possible.

– **Update: Per his Twitter account, former Kentucky football player Randall Burden will be joining the Arizona Cardinals along with former teammates Ricky Lumpkin and Alfonso Smith. Former Kentucky CB Anthony Mosley has also signed with the 49ers.

See you guys tomorrow…

Article written by Ally Tucker

I once successfully requested "The Wobble" to be played 6 times at one wedding.

34 Comments for MKG and His Ice Cream Want Late Night Notes

1. MKG's Mom
    11:09 pm April 28, 2012 Permalink

Is My boy OK–why ain’t he walking?

2. Mike
    11:18 pm April 28, 2012 Permalink

Nothing new about Nerlen’s comments re AB liking Kentucky. This has been out there for days. Shame on all the jerks that had to post about A.B.’s commiting tonight.

3. Bob Skallen
    11:50 pm April 28, 2012 Permalink

How long until a Louisville fan claims that MKG stole that Popsicle while he was at Kroger’s?

4. not not Jerry Tipton
    12:02 am April 29, 2012 Permalink

MKG improper use of a motorized vehicle doesn’t bode well for UK. 5 elderly woman had to wait outside in the heat while MKG drove around opening icecream boxes eating them before paying.when MKG seen the ladies waiting for the vehicle he thought they wanted his autograph and tried to charge them $50 apiece for his name scribbled on empty icecream wrappers. This has to be a violation of NCAA by laws and shows the type of people Calapairi would recruit to win a championship. What’s next bringing in players with funky haircuts from the 80’s like the one kid & play had. What outrage the whole lot are sickening .

5. Memphis Raines
    12:26 am April 29, 2012 Permalink

willow bringing mad heat

6. Cayuts
    12:40 am April 29, 2012 Permalink

ha, good sh#t man. Moncell has a future in the production thing, keep it up bro!

7. Is he or isn't he...
    12:42 am April 29, 2012 Permalink

Is Willow tapping that blonde girl with the huge, umm, smiles in the video? The Kentucky Rattlesnake is loose!

8. VinDatUK
    12:45 am April 29, 2012 Permalink

If people don’t embrace TJ after this and his last week’s escapades they never will. What a great kid. Oh – he hung number 8 as well.

9. I agree
    12:48 am April 29, 2012 Permalink

#8, I totally agree. Jones was the SEC Freshman of the Year last year and went to a Final Four. This year he was a beast and brought home a National Championship. TJ is a stud!

10. Barnhart for governor
    1:13 am April 29, 2012 Permalink

If Jones had kept the Washington hat on no FF last year or NC this year that simple.Dont think anyone sacrificed their stats for the team as much as TJ. He will be a great pro and left his mark at UK.

11. Bluefan
    1:21 am April 29, 2012 Permalink

Good post, Ally! That video is gold.

12. tct
    2:15 am April 29, 2012 Permalink

Am I the only one who gets kinda annoyed when people try to tell us that these college atheletes are “just kids”? They are 18-22 years old! That is not a kid. They are old enough to vote, old enough to fight and possibly die for their country, and they are old enough to be sent to prison for life or get a death sentence if they commit a murder. I’m not saying that we should expect 19 year olds to act as wise and responsible as 50 year olds, but come on. Quit telling me they are kids. They are young adults.

13. Jake_GOCATS
    2:27 am April 29, 2012 Permalink

I am 18 and still consider myself a kid. I’m sure Michael Kidd-Gilchrist does as well. He also happens to be 18.

14. MJ
    2:33 am April 29, 2012 Permalink

This video is the greatest thing Iv ever seen hahaha damn Willow and Terrance that shit is hilarious!!! #BBN#!

15. Common Sense
    3:21 am April 29, 2012 Permalink

Im so fed up with the willow stuff. Seriously put an end to it.

16. bump
    3:37 am April 29, 2012 Permalink

Chad Sanders wants to fit in so bad

17. CatSinceBirth
    5:33 am April 29, 2012 Permalink

Come on Michael. Being a senior citizen, it’s hard for me to accept somewhat like Gilchrist-Kidd taking away a motorized cart from a deserving handicapped person. He’s no longer my favorite player, and I’m sure he doesn’t care. Where is all this high character Cal speaks about? I sure don’t see it in this photo. I realize for all you out there with no respect for anyone, or anybody, this post will upset you, so go ahead, bash me. I’m an old senior citizen, but I to this day don’t take a cart from someone who might be more deserving. I walk the aisles. He’s the typical attention seeker. I would rather seen a photo of him doing about anything, other than this one. DISGUSTING.

18. Cats R Back
    7:11 am April 29, 2012 Permalink

So, where did you all find this homeless crack-head??? I mean really, wtf

19. SexnNursinHomes
    7:30 am April 29, 2012 Permalink

OMG- MKG eats food

20. Al's IndiCats
    8:04 am April 29, 2012 Permalink

17, I REALLY hope you were in the “Not Jerry Tipton” mode when you scribbled that nonsense. If not, go out and buy your own Hoverround you belly aching old crab. I’m a Gray Haired Gangster also, and I find it quite amusing to see him being a kid riding around in that thing. Try laying down that half gallon of Hagen Das and you’ll honestly feel better. shhheeeesh!

12 Evidently we forgot what it was like being a kid, didn’t we? Kids do what kids do. I would bet my house that had MKG saw anyone who needed that cart he would’ve rushed it over to them ASAP.

21. I Am Me
    8:12 am April 29, 2012 Permalink

As usual, a quality article by The Ally Tucker Band. Glad to see you writing this weekend for the main site. #17, I agree with you IF there are seniors needing the cart, and since you posted I’m sure you are in the know, knowing that he took the last one. And come on #20, didn’t we learn from #12, it’s not “Kids do what kids do” it’s “young adults who can vote and fight do what young adults who can vote and fight do”

22. SexnNursinHomes
    8:20 am April 29, 2012 Permalink

17- nobody is stealing your cart, especially MKG. he was at Kroger’s and everybody knows you only do your shopping at Wal-mart.
    Derrrr taayken urrrr cartssssss!!!!!

23. HerpDerp
    8:26 am April 29, 2012 Permalink

17. Grow up.

24. CliffFrankLou
    9:18 am April 29, 2012 Permalink

Did you go eat corn on the cob after first pitch?

25. UK Lawyer
    9:36 am April 29, 2012 Permalink

Chad Sanders acts like he is black, when he is most definitely white.

26. UKFanInWV
    10:00 am April 29, 2012 Permalink

I wonder if he “pooped” that ice cream.

27. BigBlueCats
    11:46 am April 29, 2012 Permalink

17- Im sure MKG needed that cart for his back after carrying this team a lot this season. And as someone else noted. Im sure he isnt so heartless that if he seen or knew someone else really needed it then he would have gave it up asap. And another thing for 17. If it werent for MKG and all these other young fellers, you and I and everyone else wouldnt be celebrating number 8 so go buy yourself a life alert, stick it up ur ass and jump off the Ohio river bridge
    12- I understand what you are saying but for most of these guys they have been forced (I know if they want it bad they have to do it) into a situation if they want to be rich and famous, they are put in the spotlight at a very young age and dont get to be a real kid. So when they get a chance to kick back let them have it. Think about the day of media and internet we live in. The really good players are already in the spotlight by 7th or 8th grade. They always have people following them around and bothering them like the media and coaches trying to get a recruiting edge. 15 and 20 and even as recent as 10 years ago you didnt get the coverage on these ‘kids’ like you do now. Hell, now a 45 year old in Maine can know what a 15 year old basketball stud in Nebraska had for a midnight snack because of things like twitter. So yea they may be kids or young adults however you look at it because of age but when they get a chance to let lose and take a silly picture, let them have at it.

28. CrashTheLoader
    2:47 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

Empty aisles. Looks like the middle of night. Probably not too many old people out shopping.

29. Ashland
    3:32 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

17. Wow if you truly are a senior citizen and not just a troll. Do us a favor, go ahead and die and stop wasting our tax dollars on your pathetic life.

30. tct
    6:20 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

20- No I never forgot what it was like to be a kid. It wasn’t that long ago for me. But in this country we legally define the end of childhood at the 18th birthday. Don’t get mad at me; I didn’t make the rule. Once you reach 18, you can make any adult decisions for youself (with the notable exception of buying alcohol), and you must face adult consequences for your action.
    17- I was never bitching about the picture or anything MKG is doing in the picture. Good point about lost childhood, but how much is that worth? Would you trade the last few years of your childhood for a chance to be a multimillionare like Davis and MKG are going to be?

31. tct
    6:24 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

13- I did a lot of dumb, childish things at 18, but I was also a full time student and worked to pay my own bills. I would have been insulted if someone called me a kid. And if you’re so sure how MKG feels about the subject, why don’t you go to the next public appearance he is at and tell him he is not a man, he is still a little boy. See how that conversation turns out. He’s been through more in his 18 years that most people have in a lifetime. I doubt he would take very kindly to your suggestion that he is just a big kid.

32. big D
    11:32 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

MKG called me on my girls cell @ the etown autograph session …..i was at work and couldnt make it TOOOOO COOOL

33. WhatSheOrder?FishFilet?
    3:40 am April 30, 2012 Permalink

lol 17 is the worst

34. John Sebastian
    4:15 pm May 1, 2012 Permalink

Anyone that doesn’t want to pay that much for an autograph should just get out of line. That is the most ridlculous complaint ever.