Michael Fly’s Tuesday News and Views

Fly_Twitter

I doubt you need another reason to cheer for Florida Gulf Coast in the Sweet Sixteen, but I’ve got one: they’ve got a Kentucky boy on staff. On Monday’s radio show, Matt interviewed Michael Fly, an assistant basketball coach at Florida Gulf Coast University and a Kentucky graduate about his school’s meteoric rise to fame over the past few days. Fly, a Fulton City native and friend of Fake Barney, told the guys about growing up as a Kentucky fan and how a conversation with Bill Keightly led him to an assistant coaching job at the school that has become “America’s team.”

Posters of Jamal Mashburn and Antoine Walker decorated Fly’s bedroom walls, and his love for the sport led him to Bill Keightly’s office door a few years into time at UK. Keightly told him he didn’t have room for him to be a manager at UK, but helped him get a job as a volunteer assistant for Happy Osbourne at Georgetown College in 2004, which led to an internship with the Charlotte Bobcats. After Michael Jordan took over the franchise and cleaned house, Fly took an internship with the NCAA and eventually found a job with Leonard Hamilton, Florida State’s coach who worked under Joe B. Hall at Kentucky. After three years at Florida State, Fly followed fellow assistant Andy Enfield to take over the program at Florida Gulf Coast, where he presumably sits on the beach and watches the team practice their funky chicken basketball. If you haven’t seen this yet, yes, the school’s dorms are literally on a beach:

10_N_Lake_Village AtqylbgCAAIKzxY.jpg_largePhoto by @Michael_Fly

Fly said that the Eagles’ notoriously loose and fun style of play is a result of Coach Enfield’s laid-back approach to the game. In fact, during halftime of Sunday night’s win over San Diego State, Fly said that Enfield and the coaches got on their squad for not having enough fun out in the first half: “One of the first things he told them when he took the job was ‘I want you guys to be college students. I want you to enjoy your life. This is the best four years of your life. If you’re not having fun on the basketball court, then I’m not doing my job.‘”

I’d say they’re having fun now. The Michael Fly interview starts at the 22 minute mark in Hour 1. To listen, click here and fast forward.

Now, on to the news of the day.

Just because.

— How wild is it that UCLA and Minnesota squared off on Friday night, and only three days later, neither team has a head coach? On Monday, the University of Minnesota parted ways with Tubby Smith after six years. Tubby was 124-81 (.610) over six seasons, and helped restore Minnesota’s program after it was hit hard by an academic cheating scandal. Despite having five 20-win seasons, the Gophers never finished higher than sixth in the Big 10, and made the NCAA Tournament three times. After a promising 15-1 start this season with wins over Michigan State, Illinois and Memphis, which vaulted them to #8 in the nation, the team fell flat in Big 10 play, losing seven of ten games and barely making it into the tournament thanks to a win over then-#1 Indiana at home on February 26th.

Jeff Goodman broke the news of Tubby’s firing on Twitter, apparently before even Tubby himself knew. The Minnesota administration made it official Monday afternoon with a statement thanking Tubby for his hard work and dedication, but emphasizing the need for a “fresh set of eyes” for the program. Minnesota forward Trevor Mbakwe told a Minnesota beat writer that Tubby’s old-school/tough approach may have made a few of the younger players uncomfortable: “It’s a new generation and kids aren’t as tough-nosed as hard as how they used to be and I think that sometimes it was probably hard for some players to deal with.” (Side note, but is anyone else growing more and more concerned about this younger, softer generation?)

Tubby released a statement via the University, thanking them for the opportunity and making it clear that he and his staff did things “the right way,” a common refrain from Tubby’s supporters: “Our staff did things the right way and will leave knowing that the program is in far better shape than when we arrived.” Michigan State coach Tom Izzo echoed those remarks, calling Tubby’s firing a “loss for college basketball”: “It’ll be a loss for this league and a loss for college basketball if he doesn’t stay in it. He’s got integrity beyond belief and let me tell ya, he’s been in some tough situations. I’ll close it up by saying it bothers me, saddens me.”

It’s rough to see a great guy like Tubby be shown the door like this so late in his career, especially when I’m not sure how Minnesota could get a better coach right now. Tubby is a beloved figured in the Bluegrass, and it’s high time we raise a banner for him at Rupp. Make it happen, Cal. When Tubby left Kentucky in 2007, he said that both he and Donna loved the area so much that they would consider retiring here when he was done coaching. Whenever that may be, I hope Tubby knows he is welcome here. Joe B. will save you a spot at Wheeler’s, buddy.

— The football Cats held their fifth spring practice of the season, and Mark Stoops was not happy with his team’s effort, specifically on defense. Stoops called it an “average” practice with no sense of urgency and a lackluster effort. Blame it on a case of the Mondays? Not acceptable, said Stoops.

“They know what’s going on now. Now it gets back to habits. Now it gets back to: This is Day 5, Monday morning, I’m going to go back to my old ways and just get out here and BS around, mill around for a few periods and then we’ll play a little bit. It’s not good enough. It’s not acceptable. You have to play good every snap. Every play is important. Every snap, you’ve gotta have some passion for what you’re doing. If you’re just out here milling around, playing high, (bad) position on the football, all that stuff’s going to get you beat.”

Ain’t nobody got time for that.

— Neal Brown also spoke with the media, and said that so far, Raymond Sanders looks like the running back best suited for the Air Raid system due to his offseason conditioning and skills in the passing game. Josh Clemons is finally back on the field after a frustrating string of injuries, and Brown said that they’re taking it slow with him, sitting him out on Saturday as a precaution. Clemons said that he’s happy to be back and that so far, his knee has felt great: “This is the best I’ve felt in a long time, I’m not going to lie to you.” Stay healthy, big guy.

— Just in case you’re worried that spring practice is stealing attention way from recruiting, have no fear. On Monday, top 2014 QB Drew Barker received 115 handwritten letters from UK. Before you go off and call us desperate, it’s common practice among bigger schools, and obviously an attention-seeking gesture by Stoops and staff. I just want to know what each letter said.

— Before we move on from football, KSR will be broadcasting LIVE from spring practice on Wednesday to give you an inside look at what’s going on with the team and hear from the coaches. No word yet on whether or not Matt will walk around barefoot.

— No, I’m sorry, there are no Andrew Wiggins updates. However, ESPN’s Chad Ford did say that even if the Cats don’t land Wiggins, they will have “the greatest draft class of any school in the history of the NBA draft.” If they do land Wiggins? “It won’t even be close.” Ford said there is a distinct possibility that Kentucky could have NINE pros next year, which is just mind boggling. Is it October yet?

— Huge kudos to John Wall for posting a career-high 47 points in the Wizards’ win over the Grizzlies. I’m not an expert, but I’d say he’s recovering from that knee injury just fine.

— Darius Miller also had a big night for New Orleans, scoring 16 points with fellow Cat Anthony Davis chipping in 14 more in the Hornets’ win over the Nuggets.

— Don’t forget that the UK Hoops plays Dayton in the second round of the Women’s NCAA Tournament on Tuesday night at 7:15 p.m. ET on ESPN2. We’ll get you ready with previews on the site throughout the day.

That’s all for now. See you soon.

64 Comments for Michael Fly’s Tuesday News and Views

1. J Cole
    11:12 pm March 25, 2013 Permalink

Congratulations, John Wall! What a game. I’d say that knee’s not bothering you now – keep making us proud!

2. LansingCat
    11:14 pm March 25, 2013 Permalink

My buddy Izzo is right about Tubby. And who the hell does Minny think they’re going to get that will be better than Tubby? Lol. I’m not the biggest Tubby fan, but Minnesota is STUPID. I hope they suck balls next season.

3. UKBlue
    11:17 pm March 25, 2013 Permalink

Even thought people made fun of him; this softer generation is the foundation of Chester rant. This generation of look at me, look at me, take care of me, give me whatever I want I’m entitled; we are so unbelievably screwed & it’s only going to get worse.

JWall, DM & AD: CATS doing work.

4. voiceofreason
    11:29 pm March 25, 2013 Permalink

Tubby is like politics; you should leave your opinions of him out of the blog as much as possible. I would not call him beloved in the state. You should point out Greg Doyel’s article in 2007 predicting Tubby’s firing.

5. UKDMD
    11:29 pm March 25, 2013 Permalink

#3
    You’re exactly right. America is raising nothing but a bunch of entitled whining pu$$ies. Can’t take any criticism. Can’t stand up for themselves. Want everything handed to them and if someone has something they don’t then that person should be made to give them some. Big surprise, now they want to take guns from law abiding citizens too as if that will make things better. Good luck with that, liberals.

Chester takes a lot of flack for really stretching his analogies of liberalism and basketball, but if you can make it past his accent and inability to get the point across in a succinct manner, he’s making a good point.

6. A.J.
    11:31 pm March 25, 2013 Permalink

I think Minny. saw the writing on the wall the program was not going to progress any further. He may be a nice guy but he’s not a great coach period. Pitino left him a stocked cupboard, granted he did lead them to an NCAA Title. But by the end of his tenure he could not recruit elite talent & he refused to upgrade his coaching staff & basically left his predecessor an empty cupboard devoid of UK caliber talent. I think UK should have fired him.

7. SadCat
    11:43 pm March 25, 2013 Permalink

boring. boring, boring…

8. martha wildcat
    11:45 pm March 25, 2013 Permalink

Tubby is definitely NOT revered here in the Bluegrass. He is reviled. The more Rondo type stories come out, the less Tubby is liked, if that is at all possible.

9. Yep
    11:46 pm March 25, 2013 Permalink

Everywhere that Tubby goes he will turn that team into a twenty win team. Only problem with that is we were winning 30+ games a year when he got here.

10. This Is It
    11:51 pm March 25, 2013 Permalink

Younger, softer and ENTILTED…Creates government welfare…And it’s not just the young kids…

11. bart edwards
    11:55 pm March 25, 2013 Permalink

Let me see if I have this right: BCG was a bully because he tried to make his players tougher, but Tubby was right to bully his players because THEY were babies, soft, who needed toughening?
    BCG’s record in the SEC his last two years here were better than Tubby’s SEC record his last two years here.
    And neither was acceptable.

12. kingrex
    12:41 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

BCG was INSANE. There is a huge difference. You do not hold full out, intense practices on game days. That was just for starters. BCG could not complete a full sentence, humiliated us and was so stupid he tore down Jodie Meeks and basically killed his will. The man was troubled and should NEVER, EVER have been fired. If I can find out stories about him from Atlanta, then we obviously did a horrible job vetting him. The fact he could not speak coherently should have been Mitch’s first clue.

13. SickCat
    12:42 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

boring. boring, boring…

14. SickCat
    12:43 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

boring. boring, boring…

15. HappyCat
    1:04 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

young ones are not weak soft or whatever. they are misdirected without any guidance formed how they think. the responsibility really falls on those who have come before to find a place for those who come after, problem is the older ones here don’t try and understand the younger, rather they judge. you are the ones wasting the young ones time, so they will continue to coast until the older those who are in power positions find use out of whats at hand.

16. tubby smith
    1:07 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

When I say that I did things the right way, what I mean is that everyone else is cheating and that’s why I can’t win at that 2,000,000 Dollar level.

It’s an excuse. I love excuses. I never run out of excuses. I am the excuse meister.

I am entitled to a huge payday while giving my employer bare minimum results.

I want to thank my fans for making it possible for me to stay on College Basketball Welfare for these past 6 years. Without you, no team would have been foolish enough to hire me.

I love you idiots. Tubby Smith

17. get off that jock
    1:08 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

Are you all that pathetic that you still can’t see Tubby for what he is?

Jeezus Aytch Christ!!!

18. SickCat
    1:12 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

Let the dead bury the dead…
    just sayin

19. dave
    1:16 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

“It’s rough to see a great guy like Tubby be shown the door like this so late in his career, especially when I’m not sure how Minnesota could get a better coach right now. Tubby is a beloved figured in the Bluegrass, and it’s high time we raise a banner for him at Rupp.”

A. Tubby is a beloved figure in the Bluegrass is a HUGE stretch. There are a minority of complete idiots who still like/love/revere Tubby.

B. Anyone who was surprised or shocked or thinks that it’s rough to see Tubby fired at Minnesota is either clueless or a complete moron.

Tubby did what Tubby always does. THE BARE MINIMUM and then complained that he does things the right way which implies that everyone else is doing things the wrong way. It’s the Tubby excuse. He can’t win big because everyone else is cheating.

How you blind bimbos can’t see this is beyond me.

20. Alex Driver
    1:16 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

Tubby’s apologists said we would rue the day we ran him off, and that his impending success at Minnesota would prove it.
    The rest of us said he would be worse at U.Minn. than he was at UK.
    Guess who was right?

21. Dave
    1:24 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

Howland hasn’t made the NCAA in three years. This was his last chance. This class was supposed to be like Kentucky’s 2012 class. Howland failed. Plus it’s been team turmoil for 4 years at Pauley Pavilion.

Tubby. Same thing. He has a losing record in the Big Ten. Sure he can beat Cupcakes and sure when his job is on the line, he’ll coach his ass off to beat #1 IU. But for the most part he eats cupcakes and gets clobbered left and right. Plus he is a transfer machine and not in a “we’re moving this guy on because he’ll get more minutes at a smaller school” kind of way. He loses the core of his recruiting classes left and right and those recruiting classes aren’t GREAT to start with.

Tubby has won one game in the NCAAT since he’s been at UM. That was the game this year against UCLA.

When you are getting paid 2,000,000 dollars a year, you are expected to win some games in the Tournament. Not just make it by the skin of your teeth.

Flubby is all hype.

22. Alex Driver
    1:25 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

Why would ANYBODY suggest raising a banner for Smith here? It’s INSANITY! The man inherited a national championship team, and promptly led us into the longest Final Four drought in UK history. Good heavens!
    The man coached 23 years in D-1 and made the Final Four ONE time — riding Rick Pitino’s ’98 squad that he inherited.
    AND NEVER DID IT AGAIN.

23. Gene TR
    1:41 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

Gee, I wonder why they fired Tubby?
    Could it be that he finished with only 6 wins in his last 18 games?
    Or that in conference play the year before he was 6-12?
    Or that the year before THAT he was also 6-12?
    Where is the mystery, girls? The man has proven he can’t coach at an elite level.
    The man should retire at some Division III school somewhere or maybe coach high school ball.

24. Gene TR
    1:47 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

Tubby’s Coaching record 2011-2013:
    PRESEASON CUPCAKES: 35-3
    CONFERENCE PLAY: 20-34
    Genius? I don’t think so.

25. TubbyDoesntGetIt
    2:02 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

But I can’t feel sorry for a man that makes 2mill a year and doesn’t get what his job is. College basketball is not about doing it when you want to do it. Doing it just when your job’s on the line. It’s not about titles being a nice thing you might fall into once in a while. Titles are what you aim through so you keep on winning them, not things that allow you to rest once you got one. It’s a hard lesson to learn the older you get, too. But it needs to be learned. I hope he learns it this time. You’re not doing it right if you’re not giving 100% all of the time. Cal gets it. And he prospers because of it. It’s not welfare. It is business. It is real life.

26. Ball Line Defense
    2:20 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

What was the Ball Line Defense?
    Only the genius Tubby/Einstein
    could understand it…

27. Steady
    3:17 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

Tubby a beloved figure in the Bluegrass? Who are you trying to convince? Hardly.

28. Duke Sucks
    5:20 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

Why is it that if you say anything negative about Tubby you are a raciest. Just like it is for Obama! It doesn’t matter how relavent your complant is. I don’t think this is what Medger Evens, Mr. Dehmer, or MLK had in mind when they gave there life for equality!
    They never intended for race to be used as a excuse they intended for a man to be judged the same regardless of skin color! To all the Tubby apologist who bring in the race card sham on you. Tubby had over whelming support after his first year. He didn’t lose the fans untill he started losing 10 games a year.

29. Duke Sucks
    5:46 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

^^^^^^^ SHAME ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

30. Bledsoe's Biceps
    6:04 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

By most accounts Tubby is a great guy, but that alone does not qualify anyone to have a banner in the rafters. That honor is reserved for those who accomplished basketball greatness while at UK. Yes, Tubby has the 98 championship to his credit. But in his 10 years at UK, that was it. Elite 8’s and sweet 16’s do not qualify for a banner. He deserves every compliment he gets for his charitable works and being a nice guy, but we don’t hang a banner for that.

31. Boyle County
    7:14 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

#30, you are a joke. Tubby won a national championship at Kentucky. Every other UK coach who has won a championship is hanging in the rafters. #28, are you advocating that Cal is losing support after losing 12 games this year?
    UK needs to hang a banner in Rupp. If Bill Keightley were alive, a banner would be hanging in Rupp for Tubby already. Keightley would have the nads to stand up to some of the foolish UK fans we have in this state.

32. twb02e
    7:21 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

well said 30!

33. PJWB
    7:21 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

My sentiments exactly: Tubby should retire to the Bluegrass and become a goodwill ambassador for the program just like Coach Hall. Tubby is a good coach and an even better human being. We should all want him and his good works back in Kentucky.

34. jumpman78
    7:30 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

Tubby never took UK to the NIT. Just saying.

35. BlueRedNeck
    7:31 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

Geesh, if this was the NFL they would call a penalty for piling on! Tubby was far from the greatest coach at UK, but he was not as bad as many are making him out. He pulled together a team in 2003 that was in total disarray the year before, and melded them into one of the more cohesive and memorable teams in UK history. True, they did not make their ultimate goal in the NCAA, but they were very possibly a high ankle sprain and D. Wade’s coming out party away from a Final Four. NONE of those kids were highly ranked recruits. Does anyone remember that team absolutely eviscerating a Florida team that came into Rupp with a fresh #1 ranking? One of my fondest memories of the Tubby era. Two years later, after signing the #1 class, we were a missed call and a rebound away from another FF. I am far from being a Tubby apologist – he did mail it in his last couple of years at UK from both a recruiting and a coaching standpoint, and the whole Randolph Morris “immaculate fax” situation was kind of, um, stinky. When he moved on, I was ready to move on as well. That being said, any coach who brings home a title for the Cats should have his jersey hanging in the rafters. It is the right thing to do.

36. unreconstructed
    8:12 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

Tubby…a beloved figure my arse!!! And is Minnesota “racist” for firing him as we were labeled when he quit here???

37. bubbashine
    8:13 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

Fire the night shift – idiots.

38. You raised us
    8:14 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

When the older generation complains about my generation (even though most of the things being said are true) all I can think is you people know who raised this generation and taught them to be this way right? The MOST disturbing thing that is going on in America is everyone trying to pass the blame and consequences for their mistakes on to someone else.

39. kentuckyrules
    8:22 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

FGCU dorms are on a lake, not a REAL BEACH. But, 15 mins away, for sure.

40. bil
    8:25 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

#2 the same similar thing was said about UK when Tubby was dismissed. Who can replace Tubby. Set the program back 10 years etc, etc, etc.
    How about a coach named Smart at VCU? How bout the coach at FGC?
    Sure Tubby is a nice person and a decent halfcourt offensive coach and wins some games but it is all about the money envolved with the NCAA tournament wins.
    I wouldn’t feel sorry for poor old Tubby. He received around 2 million from UK and now is receiving around 3 million from Minn. Not counting the yearly salary he received at each school. Some school that doesn’t really care about winning at basketball might hire him and give him some more millions to coach at their school.

41. hudepohlbeerreallysux
    8:32 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

Mrs. T, I love ya, but don’t try to speak for the whole state. I do not echo your feelings about Tubby. The guy has been rewarded for his lazy work ethic for far too long. You know why Tubby isn’t an elite coach? He hasn’t put forth any real effort in ten years, or better. That’s what held Tubby back. His poor work ethic.

42. MattJarrells
    8:35 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

If we’re putting anyone up there, it better be Tony Delk first.

43. RadioSilence
    8:42 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

38. Your right but that reasoning will never be heard as they see you putting blame on them so they merely bow out. Nothing will change things, I do respect my elders but no longer do we look up to you all as leaders.

44. Rixter
    8:48 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

Watch out, BBN…. Minnesota is coming after coach Cal!

45. SteveM
    8:57 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

To the folks criticizing Minny’s firing of Tubby,I think you’re missing the operative fact behind it, i.e., he was being paid a top salary and had only produced mediocre results. They might not do any better with the next coach, but they probably won’t be paying him as much either. Tubby was hired with the notion he could bring the program to upper escheon status and the fact is after 6 years, they never even finished in the top half of the Big 10 (46-62), let alone do anything in the NCAA. Tubby failed to deliever on the deal and they canned him. Can
    t blame them at all.

46. asdf
    9:01 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

One of our problems with Tubby was that he didn’t push his players hard enough, and now Minn thinks he was TOO hard? Is Minnesota trying to become the next California and raise all their boys to be girls?

47. cotton nash
    9:07 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

“Tubby is a beloved figured in the Bluegrass, and it’s high time we raise a banner for him at Rupp.”

No!!! The Tub is the worst coach I have ever seen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How soon we forget. If you want to divide the BBN, then raise a banner to the one who led the program on a ten year decline. Luckily Cal has now rebuilt what the Tub tried to single-handedly destroy.

48. GP
    9:08 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

38, 43) Thank you. MY generation is pretty damn sick of taking all of the blame for the way things are. Myself not included, we were raised this way by the previous generation, or the one that is doing the most to pass the blame for the country on to us. The majority of “welfare” goes to children (12 and under). America has the highest child poverty rate of any developed nation. The next largest chuck of it goes to Americans 30 and older. That’s not my generation folks.

Ew, arguing about politics/economics on a sports blog feels dirty.

49. Rockfield, KY
    9:12 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

Tubby worked hard, he just was unwilling to cater to high school kids or fire his own staff when it needed to happen. The new era of college basketball passed him by, but he was a great coach in his prime and anyone who doesn’t appreciate what he did after following a legend is probably a member of the boondock mutants that give our state a bad name. When it was time to go, Tubby left on his own and I thank him for it. I’d welcome him back, no problem, and I’d love to get to meet him.

50. ukjonny9
    9:16 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

All the people saying Tubby is horrible, I have a question. Does a friend or relative help you leave comments? Because no one so stupid could possibly know how to work a computer.

51. 48.
    9:20 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

I agree completely, to the older generations who set our example not with their whole lives but merely in the last 20 years of their attitudes and actions, my question is, have you compartmentalized everything you do socially into little games? Cause the whole business world takes place in an effin’ social environment and if your image and pride made you sacrifice your conviction then you were doing a horrible job as our guardians

52. asdf
    9:21 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

It’s true that Tubby is highly respected in the state of Kentucky, just not for his coaching. As a man, just about everybody respects him.

53. UL2UK8
    9:34 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

Didn’t it come out that Tubby had been trying to get another job while at UK, and started to talk to other schools in Jan. of his last year at UK? The year that he was a asst. coach for the Olympics didn’t he also not do any in home recuiting, even though UK needed 4-5 players, because he was helping the Olympics? (The Perry, Thomas, etc… recruiting class) So, he has not been a $2 million coach for a long time.

54. STEVE!
    9:36 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

Tubby, the decent, great man, did this his last three years at UK: Signed Adam Williams, Jared Carter, Rekalin Sims, Michael Porter, Derrick Jasper, Jodie Meeks, Perry Stevenson, Ramon Harris, A.J. Stewart, and Morakinyo Williams. He also negotiated a new job with Minnesota while still being paid to coach at UK. He also left for Minnesota without a word to his players, and never returned to speak to them or wish them well. He also refused to upgrade his coaching staff at UK, but did not take a single one of them with him to Minnesota. A decent man does not do these things to his employer and supporters.

55. how bout
    10:00 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

we kick Barnfart out and let tubby be AD (que the Barnhart lovers in 1, 2, 3..)

56. Huh?!?
    10:01 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

Look, Rockfield, KY, I don’t know how you can say Tubby worked hard. The evidence is greatly against you. As 41 pointed out, his subpar recruiting was the fruition of his laziness. He had no drive. Lazy.

57. Dee W.
    10:03 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

Ah, the historical revisionists return again with their nonsense about the program being in a “10 year decline” during Tubby’s entire tenure.

Tubby Smith record at Kentucky:

1997 – 1998 – 35-4 overall, 14-2 SEC, SEC regular season champions, SEC tournament Champions, NCAA Champions

1998 – 1999 – 28-9 overall, 11-5 SEC, SEC tournament Champions, NCAA Elite 8

1999 – 2000 – 23-10 overall, 12-4 SEC, SEC regular season Champions (tied), NCAA 2nd round

2000 – 2001 – 24-10 overall, 12-4 SEC, SEC regular season Champions (tied), SEC tournament Champions, NCAA Sweet 16

2001 – 2002 – 22-10 overall, 10-6 SEC, NCAA Sweet 16

2002 – 2003 – 32-4 overall, 16-0 SEC, SEC regular season Champions, SEC tournament Champions, Granted #1 seed NCAA tournament, NCAA Elite Eight

2003 – 2004 – 27-5 overall, 13-3 SEC, SEC tournament Champions, Granted #1 overall seed NCAA tournament, NCAA 2nd round

2004 – 2005 – 28-6 overall, 14-2 SEC, SEC regular season Champions, SEC tournament runner-up, NCAA Elite Eight

2005 – 2006 – 22-13 overall, 9-7 SEC, NCAA 2nd round

2006 – 2007 – 22-12 overall, 9-7 SEC, NCAA 2nd round

———————

Of course, those that speak truth to fiction are called “Tubby apologists.” The poorer last two years of his tenure are what they come up with to show a “ten year decline” – clearly the overall record does not support that. If you want to say it wasn’t good enough, that’s all a matter of opinion – but opinion in order to be valid must be based on facts.

As for Minnesota…what were they, 9-22 before he started? Clearly his record was a huge improvement over his predecessor. If they don’t feel his record was good enough, that’s fine…but many of you seeming to argue that Minnesota wasn’t doing substantially better are clearly not basing your argument on fact.

58. What you can't fund, you must find #Peace
    10:04 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

The young generation is no better socially as they merely turn social games into performing bits of successful material. I guess again that’s partial responsible because of the old farts too.

59. STEVE!
    10:10 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

57 – Dee, not a 10-year decline, but the trend was definitely accelerating downward, and look at the mess of a roster he left for Gillispie compared to what Pitino left for him.

60. BlueRedNeck
    10:12 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

40, NO WAY they would get FGCU’s coach! He is already independently wealthy,gets to watch his supermodel wife scamper around in a bikini in the Florida sunshine all day, and he is going to trade this to live in the frozen tundra? Yeah, riiiiiigggghhhhtt! 😉

61. Dee W.
    10:25 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

59 – there is no way that can be described as a trend “accelerating downward” with the 03, 04, 05 seasons in the mix. Now you try to go as far as defend Billy G and blame that on Tubby…

Again, everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts.

62. BlueinTennessee
    12:32 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

Most of the commenters that are bashing Tubby are probably too young to remember his time at UK. He was a great coach and nothing but a class act!! It’s true during his last couple of years, that his record was declining, but look at our record this year. I really like Coach Cal, but Tubby is still my all-time favorite coach! Bring out the Tubby banner!!

63. Flubby
    12:45 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

Can we get over the 20 wins season mark. Only in the land of mediocrity is this the benchmark for a program.

How predictable that Tubby would be fired. Kentucky couldn’t fire him because of the negative PR, but Minnesota don’t give a D! Way to stand up for yourself Gophers. Don’t settle for mediocrity.

64. STEVE!
    1:06 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

61- Dee, there’s NO WAY I’ll ever defend or excuse BCG. I’m just comparing the condition of the program when Tubby arrived to the way it was when he left. surely you aren’t saying the players he left for Gillispie were as good as those he inherited from Pitino. Look at his last 10 recruits I listed above.