Merlene Davis doesn’t “get it”

Merlene Davis is not impressed with these drills.

Sunday morning, I was sent a link to Merlene Davis’ column about Wednesday’s UK basketball women’s clinic. As you all know from my recap, I was a big fan of the clinic, which I thought gave fans a good behind-the-scenes look at the program at its peak.

Merlene didn’t think so. According to her article, she came to the clinic expecting to learn some plays from Cal’s playbook, but instead, was disappointed when Cal only wanted to talk about recruiting:

Finally, we all gathered again to hear Calipari.

Now, I thought, I will learn basketball rules or strategies or something.

“We were going to do some basketball stuff, but you know what I’m going to do?” he said. “I’m going to take you on a recruiting visit. You want me to take you through a recruiting visit?”

“Yes!” the crowd responded.

“Then we won’t do the rest of it,” he said.

“No!” I thought. “I want to learn about basketball.”

That was not to be.

I think Merlene missed the point. The women attending this clinic weren’t there to learn how to dribble a basketball or the specifics of a pick and pop. The drills Coach Robic, Rock Oliver, and Nancy Lieberman put volunteers through were fun and informative, yes, but they weren’t the reason each attendee shelled out $100. The main draw of the clinic is the access you get to Cal and the players. We were there to get an insider’s look at Kentucky basketball, which yes, means recruiting, especially the day before the Harrison Twins announce their intentions.

I’ve only been to two clinics, but last year’s clinic included a breakdown of the dribble drive offense. Like Merlene quoted, each year, Cal strives to give fans something different. I think the fans in attendance were much more interested in how Cal plans to follow up last season’s National Championship and not the specifics of Cal’s new offense, which will likely be completely different because he has a completely different team.

While it would have been great to watch the current squad practice as we did last year, this year’s clinic demonstrated the obvious shift in Kentucky basketball from current to future. Why did Cal choose to spend his time talking about recruiting? Because it’s on the forefront of all our minds. When he dropped a Harrison Twins reference, most of us in the audience wanted him to get back to the phone to make sure the deal was done. Until Big Blue Madness finally gets here and he can dedicate more time to his current team, Cal’s primary objective is making sure there will be a team when this one leaves for the pros. Recruiting has never been as important as it is now. When you’re constantly reloading your entire roster, and doing it better than anyone in the country, frankly, that’s what I want to hear about.

If Geri Tipton–I mean Merlene Davis–wants to learn about the rules of basketball, she should go get a book from the library. I feel like I speak for the over six hundred women who attended the camp when I say that we’ll take an insider’s look at how Cal’s dominating the sport over that any day of the week.

55 Comments for Merlene Davis doesn’t “get it”

1. barn
    12:35 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

she’s just a hack who’s always whining about something

2. bigblue
    12:37 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

merlene needs to start smoking again. how is it that she has a job? oh right the same paper that employs tipton. Boycott that trash.

3. FakeMerleneDavis
    1:06 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

Cat fight between Merlene and TT!

4. Dave in Bangkok
    1:11 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

I see her point.

You were there for the “Cult of Personality” and hero worship. She went there for knowledge.

I see nothing wrong with what she wrote. It’s her perspective. To each there own.

Some folks enjoy kissing ass and sycophancy. Some folks actually would like to learn a bit.

5. Hammer
    1:12 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

When has she ever “got it”? She bitched and whined over Tubby till I thought I would puke.

6. shields eyes
    1:12 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

Geri Tipton…nicely done. Another reason I will be able to dance on the grave of that newspaper when it finally dies. Oh, it will be unfortunate for the employees at the Herald Leader when they are out of a job, but Joel Pett doesn’t even care about them.

7. RaleighCatFan
    1:13 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

I agree with Merlene on this one. How insulting that Cal thinks the ladies come to the clinic only for hero worship. I love the guys on the team but would have wanted to learn some basketball.

8. empireblue
    1:16 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

#4- You can start by learning this: http://www.wikihow.com/Use-There,-Their-and-They're

9. St. Paul Raiders
    1:18 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

If I was Cal and had to deal with this crap I’d just stop having the clinic. When your sole purpose is to be contrary and ultimately negative, you really don’t add much to the conversation. I’m all for alternative perspective, but complaining for the sake of complaining and to take shots at Cal is just ridiculous.

10. getreal
    1:21 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

So what else is new? Her job at the H-L is based solely on being contrarian. Her job is to bitch and moan in print. How’s that for gainful employment? Geez, what waste.

11. Catmandoo
    1:23 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

So she writes a negative article about something she got invited to by UK athletics for free….If she wanted to learn how to play basketball she should have gone to the fantasy camp. The point of this womans clinic is to give them a glimpse of the UK program, it’s not a basketball practice.

12. tooth
    1:25 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

#4 THERE?????

13. gannon-BBN
    1:25 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

typical woman

14. Merlin
    1:29 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

Merlin is just another whiny, loud mouthed, liberal wizard.

15. AggieinFrankfort
    1:31 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

Amen, TT! This was my second clinic and I was extremely excited to get an inside look into the recruiting. After all, UK and Cal have been at the top of the list for the past 4 years. We looked at the plays last year, this year the recruiting, next year it’ll be something else. If you are a basketball novice, well, you need to start a little lower in the ranks to get the rules, etc. Like maybe take in a high school game. Give me access to the players so we can get to know them a little. I love the clinics!!! And nobody does them better than Cal!!

16. Lowkey
    1:34 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

I’m not crazy about TweetBeat either, but then again I don’t have to pay $100 for it. Merlene purchased the right to complain. I don’t even know who Merlene is but I’ll defend her right to be Merlene. For her to make a disparaging remark about Coach Calipari shows she has more balls than a Chinese ping pong tournament. And by the way, I am just kidding about everything. Merlene, Merlene, Merlene, Merlene…in my best Dolly Parton voice.

17. Shaffer
    1:37 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

I would think it would be disrespectful and a shot at our lady fans to be like this is a basketball. You dribble by pusshing the ball towards the ground using your finger tips. I am pretty sure our female fans know the game and go to these things, like TT said, for an inside glimpse of the program…past, present, and future. If you want to learn basics, watch more basketball on TV and listen to the analysts.

18. TN Cat
    1:38 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

Is Cal allowed to talk about recruits who haven’t signed? Did TT just report a recruiting violation?

19. kentuckyjoe
    1:39 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

I have no idea who Merlene Davis is. And I sure don’t care to find out. I hope she keeps her $100 next year and buys some good books on the subjects she wants to learn about.

20. Shaffer
    1:41 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

18 – she said he referenced them. Cal just can’t say Andrew Harrison or Aaron Harrison

21. G-Man
    1:47 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

Merlene, did you enjoy learning the ball line defense at the women’s clinic when your hero Tubby was here? What? You mean Tubby never had a women’s clinic? Cal offers something for women that 99% of them enjoy and she writes an article complaining about it. Typical.

22. btowncatfan
    1:48 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

Excuse me, recruiting has never been as important as it is now? I’d say recovering from the BCG trainwreck and landing Wall, Cousins, Bledsoe, etc. was a lot more important than recruiting today. Not that it is not important today. But with Cal’s recent success he can pretty much pick and choose who he wants.

23. SoCal Will
    1:58 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

When one enjoys a balloon full of joy one always has to be aware of the pricks. Glad you called Davis out, TT.

24. WeissHai
    2:00 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

Merlene Davis is too stupid to learn anyway; what would be the point of a lesson?

25. 3 fan
    2:00 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

Merlene Davis did an article that wasn’t about race??? I can’t believe it! Davis is notorious for playing the race card at least every other article.

26. bobby jim
    2:02 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

I don’t see anything wrong with what she said. So she wanted to learn something big deal.

27. tabb
    2:02 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

I guess the main difference I have with the KSR writer is that I knew Merlene Davis ‘didn’t get it’ about 7 years ago.

28. Mark Turgeon
    2:03 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

I wish Cal would have let me in on some of his recruiting strategy.

29. VinDatuk
    2:22 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

Good to see Dave in Bangkok is still a d-bag from the other board he frequents. Know it all prick.

30. Merlene Davis
    2:28 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

“Do all of these whities not know that this isn’t what I want? Sure, the majority of the crowd doesn’t want what I want, but dammit I’m a strong black woman who normally gets what she wants.”

Merlene Davis is a racist.

31. Bobbum man
    2:37 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

Yet had cal come out showing how to dribble and actually play the game the rest of the women would have been whining that its sexist assuming they don’t know how to play. Didn’t get mother teach her if you don’t have anything nice to say shut ur face hole

32. Bubba Earl
    2:42 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

I quit reading her articles 15 years ago, she has a racist attitude, and I am surprised people think she is a journalist. LOL

33. For the $
    2:50 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

@ #9……600 attendees…………$100 each. Do the math. Cal is not going to turn down $60,000 for a few hours of time!

34. nawlij
    3:13 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

She is a disgusting race baiter…who cares what she says…she should be ignored…period

35. Dave in Bangkok
    3:22 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

It’s called a typo…and no edit button.

Bite me!

36. Bob Loblaw
    3:34 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

marlene is a huge racist. She didn’t want tubby to come here because ALL UK fans are racists (according to her).

37. 49 Chevy
    3:57 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

Old Merlin is still PO’ed that we are not clammoring at tubbi’s feet for going 20-10 every year.

38. james bradley
    4:00 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

Her and tipton. Why does any true ky. Fan even think about buying the hearld loser ?

39. Dave likes to Bangkok
    4:00 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

I would love me some Merlin, if I didn’t like Bangkok so much.

40. St. Paul Raiders
    4:31 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

33- Two things…One, I said IF I was Cal. Two, 60G to Cal and/or UK athletics is nothing.

41. Jerry Tipton
    4:45 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

I am surprise race wasn’t involved in the clinic for Merelene. Surprise she didnt say “i didnt like the clinic because Tubby wasn’t there….tubby was fired because he was black”
    Can’t wait to see her take the future Joker firing

42. JokersPlaybook
    4:47 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

Merlene has zero talent. She can only write about how the man is keeping her down or just complaining in general. I put her on the lines with Thameltoe and likes. No talent and the only only way anyone will pay attention to me is write garbage, complaining, and hating…next

43. DoorMatOfTheSEC
    5:16 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

I agree with Merlene.$100 bucks to hear Cal talk about recruits?? She can hear or read it for FREE.

44. Dave in Bangkok
    5:49 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

Bite me Dwight!

45. Dave in Bangkok
    5:51 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

The sheep are out in full force tonight. I don’t know how Coach Cal walks what with all of you hangin’ on his jock.

46. Friend of Coal
    6:46 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

Let’s see now….Merlene is not a Friend of Coal…she is not a friend of the Wildcat Coal Lodge….she is not a friend of mountain top mining, therefore I suppose if Nerlens were to cut his hair she would not be a friend of his because that would be flat top mining! Just a bitter person that must have something to complain about. Merlene, there is a VP debate in Danville this week and I here your liberal friend Biden will be giving a clinic on how to run the economy, for the bargin price of $16 trillion…check it out! What’s that? You are not a friend of Danville either?

47. Friend of Coal
    6:47 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

Sorry…hear, not here.

48. Lake Cumberland
    7:22 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

Merlene is the reason I quit purchasing the HL……always stirring things up. I could always sort through Tipton’ s garbage.

49. The Real Merelene
    7:30 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

Merelene is a frustrating writer for the HL that should have been fired a long time ago. She’s a race baiter who loves to stir the pot and the Herald Leader gives her front pages opportunities it front of city/region section to put her propaganda out there. MERELENE is the racist, always bringing up race and insserting it at every opportunity. She doesn’t like the basketball clinic because they didn’t teach her enough, she’d b*tch about something else if they did focus more on fundamentals (they gave us too much information). She’s garbage.

50. Amen
    8:30 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

#49 – Ditto

51. Davis Is a bigot
    8:35 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

Davis is a racist plain and simple. What would happen if a middle aged white woman wrote the same thing about blacks. Where is the older blacks who where treated horrible at. They should be the ones calling her out for trying to piggyback off of the hardships they faced.

52. Sarah white
    8:41 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

She must not have attended the same one I did. I have been to all, and this was the best one ever. But I have fun wherever I go. Do I like every minute of everything I attend? Absolutely not. I don’t like my husband every minute I am with him, but that does not devalue our marriage. That’s life. Maybe she should stay home next year. I will be here and once again have a great time

53. White Cracker
    10:34 pm October 8, 2012 Permalink

She has the best job security than anyone. The bitch will sue her employer the day they fire her stupid ass. they know it, she knows it, and we know it. It’s cool being a racist if your a black female. DOUBLE TROUBLE.

54. KY Girl
    12:02 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

This was my third women’s clinic and I loved getting the inside scoop on how Cal recruits and watching the amazing video. Cal has explained the dribble drive and we’ve watched practices at the clinic before…this year he offered something different and it was awesome!