MCA’s Late Night Notes

It was reported today that Adam Yauch, one of the founding members of the Beastie Boys, died after a three year battle with cancer. A tumor in his salivary gland had kept him out of the public spotlight since 2012, even preventing him from traveling with his band mates when they were inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. Yauch was an integral part of a group that redefined the way people viewed hip hop. The Beastie Boys showed up on the scene in the late eighties with a bunch of Jewish guys from affluent New York families who were trying to make it in an industry dominated by African American performers. They were extremely successful and hold the respect of nearly everyone of their hip hop peers from that era. Their first album, License to Ill, was released in 1986 and was the first hip hop album to top the charts. Yauch will be sorely missed. The world lost a significant musical force today and in MCA’s memory I ask that all of you fight for your right to party tonight. That’s how I’ll be honoring him.

– Speaking of parties, the city of Louisville is hosting a little shindig tomorrow that a few of you might be interested in. The Kentucky Derby is about to do its thing with the mint juleps and the big hats and the John Calipari appearances. I know absolutely nothing about horses aside from the fact that I like to drink and place uninformed bets upon the outcomes of their races. I also know that as a person from Kentucky outside the state of Kentucky, this is the one day out of the year when my friends constantly ask me how excited I am. If any of you are heading to Churchill Downs tomorrow, I wish you the best of luck.

– The big news of the day in the world of Kentucky basketball was the team’s trip to the White House. Scroll down a bit to check out all of the great coverage from the event. My favorite line from the President was his endorsement of Darius Miller in the unlikely chance that he ever decided to run for governor. That’s the kind of thing you put on a resume.

– Also, I know that it’s impossible to talk about the President without the topic of politics coming up and party lines being drawn, but this is a tradition that exceeds Republican or Democrat. National champions are invited to meet the President in every sport and the most common gesture of appreciation shown by the team in question is to offer gifts to the President related to your team and its exploits. The team would have done the exact same thing no matter who was in office. Don’t make yourself look like a raving lunatic in a comment section or on Twitter.

– While Coach Cal looked like a born natural behind that podium today, it’s unlikely that he’ll be running for president anytime soon. Coach Cal and his staff had their going rate beefed up today. Cal received an eight percent spike in his annual salary and, with incentives, could end up pulling in over six million dollars in one of the upcoming years.

Anthony Bennett cut Florida from his list. He is now down to Kentucky, UNLV and Oregon. He visited the Runnin’ Rebels today, but the consensus had always been that it would be either UK or UF. Now that the Gators are out, it looks like we will most likely land Bennett and with him the top overall class for the fourth season in a row in addition to the first preseason number one ranking in Cal’s time in Lexington.

– Hey you guys like the Harrison twins, right? Good. I never want you to be without.

We’ll have more all day tomorrow. Happy Derby day, kids.

Article written by Matthew Hays

55 Comments for MCA’s Late Night Notes

1. Umm
    11:23 pm May 4, 2012 Permalink

I believe UNLV is more of a player for Bennet than you think. I don’t think he picks UK. I’m just sayin’. I HOPE he does, just don’t look for it. Everything I’ve heard the last two days is UNLV. They are willing to do some things with his academics that we aren’t.

2. 44 Stitches
    11:33 pm May 4, 2012 Permalink

I’m still in disbelief of MCA passing away. Horrible horrible horrible news. I HATE cancer with all my heart.

3. xcoach
    11:35 pm May 4, 2012 Permalink

Matt,
    Great comment about leaving politics out of the White House visit. What a wonderful experience for all that had the opportunity!! Go Cats!!!!

4. Beatle Bum
    11:36 pm May 4, 2012 Permalink

IU fans are bitter and ugly.

5. me
    11:38 pm May 4, 2012 Permalink

I hear Bennet hasn’t even taken the SAT yet (which you need for an out-of-state school) and I think the final date to take it has come and gone. So UNLV would be the only school he could go to of his final 3…

6. Bob Loblaw
    11:54 pm May 4, 2012 Permalink

Only angry people will try to bring up politics. It’s the President of the United States! No matter who is in office, you respect the office and it’s a great honor to meet the leader of the country.

7. Buckets
    11:59 pm May 4, 2012 Permalink

F you, cancer!! The Beasties music will live on forever! My name is MCA I got a license to kill. I think you know what time it is, it’s time to get ill!

8. Bosshogg24
    12:13 am May 5, 2012 Permalink

#4 & #7, you say you hate cancer, what are you doing to prevent it, anything? You have control over it the ball is in your court! Sounds like UNLV for Bennett!

9. Dr. Funke
    12:14 am May 5, 2012 Permalink

In other news, Rondo just passed Lebron for 6th all time in triple doubles in the playoffs, in just 6 yrs!

10. Dr. Funke
    12:15 am May 5, 2012 Permalink

He needs one more to tie with Oscar Robinson!

11. Dr. Funke
    12:18 am May 5, 2012 Permalink

*Robertson sorry, Ill stop typing now.

12. BPsycho
    12:19 am May 5, 2012 Permalink

#8 WTF are you talking about?

13. markymark
    12:19 am May 5, 2012 Permalink

Damn – Beatle Bum and Buckets – you guys better get off your @sses and do something about this cancer thing. Now we know that you can do it the pressure is on. Go.

14. Bosshogg24
    12:22 am May 5, 2012 Permalink

BPsycho, common sense stuff that everbody should know, that is why so many are dying, lack of info & knowledge!

15. UK Rollin
    12:22 am May 5, 2012 Permalink

I have a question: where the F is today podcast?

16. Cool Ricardo

F -wiltjer
    C- cauley-stein
    G- beckham
    G- hood

17. John Ellis
    12:34 am May 5, 2012 Permalink

Obama was gracious and funny, as usual. For those who for some reason keep voting for those extremely wealthy guys who you think are cutting your taxes (you know, you get a hundred that’s more than made up for by cuts in other things affecting you and their big supporters get billions in cuts), the team and the staff were obviously thrilled by Obama and with good reason. Learn from them.

18. BPsycho
    12:37 am May 5, 2012 Permalink

#14 You’ll have to fill me in I guess. I may not be doing enough to prevent it. Cancer is quite a bit different than gingivitis.

19. Rob
    12:48 am May 5, 2012 Permalink

Hey democrats, want the quickest way to turn Kentucky blue? How about basketball superstition? The last 4 democratic presidential terms saw UK teams that would win championships. The more you know…

20. bosshogg24
    12:51 am May 5, 2012 Permalink

#18, most people do 100 things a day that causes cancer, find out what they are and makes changes! Never depend on someone else to find a cure for you, there are hundreds of cures not a single cure. Most all real cures are being suppressed. If i had to depend on Chemo, Radiation and Surgery I would shoot myself and be done!

21. bosshogg24 is a FOOL says
    1:08 am May 5, 2012 Permalink

So your telling me that children who have cancer have done a 100 things daily to cause their cancer? You are a peice of shit. Obvousily you have never lost a loved one to cancer. I lost 6 to it. I wouldn’t wish it on anybody but in your case it would be nice to see it eat you alive while you suffer. Then again you saying you would shoot yourself and be done with it if you ever got cancer tells me you are weak. Go EFF yourself loser.

22. Pikeville25
    1:13 am May 5, 2012 Permalink

Obviously this site knows nothing on recruiting. Bennett is unlv bound. Do your homework before u get uk fans in a frenzy..geez….rip Adam Lauch!

23. BPsycho
    1:20 am May 5, 2012 Permalink

#20 I’ll cure cancer when I get back from Africa. I’m going to feed all the starving children there. Should be easy, they just need food…

24. Buckets
    1:24 am May 5, 2012 Permalink

I lost both grandparents to cancer and believe me, I do what I can to help when I can, financially and otherwise. Smartest thing I ever did was quit smoking. Dumbest thing I ever did was start smoking.

But seriously, is it really now impossible to make a comment without someone having something stupid to say about it? Sheesh.

25. BPsycho
    1:24 am May 5, 2012 Permalink

#21 Thank you….. Thought I was the only one reading this for a second. I’m usually the one who post something exactly like that.

26. kywildcat
    2:38 am May 5, 2012 Permalink

ul trolls as usual

27. WhatSheOrder?FishFilet?
    6:22 am May 5, 2012 Permalink

looks like Jon Hood in that picture.

and all those ppl complaining about autograph prices…..you wasn;t with them shootin’ in the gym

28. Cool Ricardo
    6:49 am May 5, 2012 Permalink

UofL fans love Ronald Reagan because he was in charge when they won their two little championships.

Long TIME ago! ha ha

29. NoelMayBeAnthonyDavis2.0
    7:04 am May 5, 2012 Permalink

#17 Read the whole post on that you’re commenting on. It says “Don’t make yourself look like a raving lunatic in a comment section or on Twitter.” Thanks.

30. barn
    7:16 am May 5, 2012 Permalink

the consensus was bennett was going to fla., and he dropped them, and now the consensus is he’s going to UK…..just sayin’. and if what #5 says about the SAT is true, then i agree it looks like he’s headed to unlv

31. JayCee
    7:40 am May 5, 2012 Permalink

Can we get like 7 more posts about the White House trip? I’m not completely sure you guys covered it/slobbered over it thoroughly enough yesterday.

32. joejoe
    8:05 am May 5, 2012 Permalink

The bosshog man is correct to a point but he’s missing out on all types of cancer. Some we think can be prevented while others are unknown. Bosshog needs to learn how to be more sensitive in this day and age. He doesn’t realize what is going on out there. As far as the people and children who have passed due to cancer, they are all in a much better place than we could ever imagine. They will rest in peace and paradise.

33. SexnNursinHomes
    8:10 am May 5, 2012 Permalink

Somebody needs to tell that burnt crisp jersey mom that she is going to die from living in that tanning bed. That bitch is so scorched that she will give cancer to melanoma.

34. mike
    8:21 am May 5, 2012 Permalink

19. for 7 of UK’s 8 national championships a democrat has been president…Truman in 48,49, and 51 Carter in 78, Clinton in 96 and 98, and Obama in 2012

35. Jim
    8:35 am May 5, 2012 Permalink

So what’s the official word, has Bennett qualified academically or what? No more speculation, somebody find an official source. I would think if he wasn’t qualified, that would be talked about more.

I think AB would be a great addition. He would get lots of playing time – which is what most kids want. Sign him up.

36. harrowwiththedish
    9:10 am May 5, 2012 Permalink

I hate florida as much as anyone. But it appears they dropped bennett. The kid has not even shown any school his transcripts and has not taken his test. It looks like florida is giing to take another four man. Bennett is a long shot to get eligible.

37. JM
    9:10 am May 5, 2012 Permalink

Bennett to UNLV – mark it down. Too many academic question marks and an in-state school will make it easier to qualify. Damn shame, but lots of people saying Bennett to UK will not happen.

38. Bledsoe's Biceps
    9:13 am May 5, 2012 Permalink

29 +1 I guess 17 is one of those people whose personal agenda is all that matters. The world needs a lot less people like him.

39. john ellis
    9:16 am May 5, 2012 Permalink

I enjoy the company of gay men.

40. tdogg40330
    9:24 am May 5, 2012 Permalink

He’ll be a CAT !!!

41. tyrus
    9:28 am May 5, 2012 Permalink

Matthew,is this a cut-and-paste article…” kept him out of the public spotlight since 2012″ Humm, 2012? I’m entering my 21st year as a cancer survior. For those who are ignorant on the subject matter, consider yourself blessed. What I had to endured to stay alive, I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy.

42. Ridge Runner
    10:01 am May 5, 2012 Permalink

41, tyrus – Sympathy extended to you and I can’t imagine my friend.

43. Ridge Runner
    10:03 am May 5, 2012 Permalink

All along I have been thinking the late “no commitment” by Bennent had something to do with academics. My fears (it appears) are coming to light.

Hope he gets it together & is a Cat. Still hoping.

44. wyldcatzrool
    10:14 am May 5, 2012 Permalink

Everything I had heard was that Bennett was UK-bound…up until reading all of the comments on this post. Talk about your Saturday morning bummer! The whole event at the White House was amazing…came off with both a blinding chrome polish and a natural, unrehearsed feel simultaneously…not an easy feat. Kudos to the Cats, to Cal, to the coaching staff and trainers. Most National Champions get but One Shining Moment. Yesterday Coach Cal, the Cats, and all of BBN got another!

45. lexslamman
    10:14 am May 5, 2012 Permalink

31.

Awww, somebody must be a butthurt Republican Louisville fan.

46. Quality
    10:28 am May 5, 2012 Permalink

“A tumor in his salivary gland had kept him out of the public spotlight since 2012”, Ummm… it’s 2012 right now so keeping him out of the spotlight all year would have been more fitting don’t you think?

47. JayCee
    10:45 am May 5, 2012 Permalink

45- I’m sorry, but I’m not fool enough to be such a partisan patsy as yourself. I leave those fights to the simple-minded.

I simply found 7 posts in ~5 hours detailing the exact same subject matter to be just a bit redundant. No doubt in my mind, however, that you obviously enjoyed it on a more pronographic level, so, good for you… I guess? I’d recommend some salve for those skin burns, though.

48. JS
    10:51 am May 5, 2012 Permalink

Number 6 I agree with you 100 percent. number 17 I wonder if you would be as happy if the UK basketball team going to the White House and there was a Republican in charge. I also wonder if KSR would be as happy. I’m not a Republican, as I’ve said before, If you really belief your party is the only one who can fix this country, you’re fooling yourself. That’s why our forefathers was smart enough to understand we have to have balance of power.

49. Duke sucks
    11:07 am May 5, 2012 Permalink

#20 is a fool. Thier is no cure for cancer after the early stages. Early detection is the only way for true treatment. You CAN NOT cause cancer you can make choices to worsen it.

50. tyrus
    11:15 am May 5, 2012 Permalink

41-Thanks. Not a day has gone by since, that I don’t think about it. There’s nothing in life I take for granted. Smell the roses my friends and don’t sweat the small shit!

51. P.L. Wallingford, III
    11:21 am May 5, 2012 Permalink

From the main article:

“National champions are invited to meet the President in every sport”
    —–
    So when did the President take on the UK basketball team in hockey, baseball, football, etc. or, when did every sport get a president? Let me help you with that sentence:

“National champions in every sport are invited to meet the President”

Do you loons ever proofread anything?

52. scrapinfificat
    11:48 am May 5, 2012 Permalink

Concerning the ACT/SAT this from the UK website.
    Requirements
    Freshman applicants must submit the following:
    Either: UK Application for Undergraduate Admission or Common Application
    Test Scores: Official results for either the ACT or the SAT I are required. Arrangements to take either test may be made through your high school counselor’s office. Indicate to the testing service that an official score report should be sent to the University of Kentucky (ACT School Code -1554; SAT School Code – 1837). Student copies, high school report copies, or scores from high school transcripts will not be accepted.
    Transcripts: Attach an official high school transcript to the application. This transcript should reflect grades through at least six semesters of high school work. If you are a high school graduate, submit a complete official transcript including the date of graduation.
    Academic Letter of Recommendation: All freshmen applicants must submit an academic letter of recommendation from a teacher or guidance counselor. The recommender can submit this electronically or can download a PDF version, complete it, and mail it to the Office of Undergraduate Admission.
    Non-Refundable Application Processing Fee: Attach $50 in cash, check, or money order made payable to the University of Kentucky. Full-time UK employees applying to take classes and who submit a copy of their UK staff card are not required to pay the processing fee.

53. J. Mac
    12:08 pm May 5, 2012 Permalink

#1 is onto something. Hearing Florida dropped Bennett cause he would not be able to get eligible. Same would be with Kentucky. Looking like Findlay Prep set up his classes in a way that he would get to be eligible at UNLV and not any of the other big conference programs. Lot of national guys, including Thameltoe are converging on Findlay Prep and doing some major digging, could be the end for Findlay Prep. Kentucky fans are going to have to get real and get on board with a push for Amile Jefferson, not looking good for Bennett at the moment.

54. SeoulCat
    12:31 pm May 5, 2012 Permalink

#5

The SAT was conducted yesterday, er, today (your time), and there will be another session on June 2nd. It’s not too late for AB to take the test (assuming he hasn’t already done so).

55. I have read several excellent stuff here. Definitely value bookmarking for revisiting. I surprise how so much attempt you set to create this sort of great informative site.