Mays could sign with Purdue this weekend

Do we have another Alex Oriakhi situation on the horizon?

It’s a possibility.

Coach Cal likes where he stands with Julius Mays, but with the former Wright State guard set to visit Purdue this weekend, it could mean bad news for the Cats. Joe Luce, Mays’ high school coach at Marion, said Mays could accept Matt Painter’s offer this weekend on his visit to West Lafayette. Mays arrives on campus tonight and he thinks it could be a great situation.

“I’m trying to find the place that is best for me,” said Mays. “I want to go to the place I will be most comfortable. Purdue would be a great situation to go into and be a veteran player.”

“I would have a chance to score the ball and play guard with a great group of guys. I feel like I could play for coach (Matt) Painter. I watch a lot of basketball, and any time Purdue is on, I watch them. You never know if this is my last visit. If I’m ready to choose, that’s what I will do.”

Cal was caught off guard when Alex Oriakhi committed to Missouri during his visit, and now it appears there is at least a chance it could happen again.

Uggghhh.

Mays Could Be Answer To Painter’s Need

Article written by Drew Franklin

34 Comments for Mays could sign with Purdue this weekend

1. Blue Virus
    10:44 am May 11, 2012 Permalink

I smell negative recruiting by these other schools. Im talking about you Mizzou and Purdue

2. HOO HOO
    10:52 am May 11, 2012 Permalink

Just sitting here trolling KSR, listening to some Mellenkamp and suckin’ on a chili dog.

3. The rise
    10:54 am May 11, 2012 Permalink

I hope cal shows this guys the light and go to Kentucky and help us win #9

4. snoopaloop
    11:07 am May 11, 2012 Permalink

They actually score in the BIG 10? Huh, that’s news to me…

5. GoCats2
    11:08 am May 11, 2012 Permalink

As Cal has said, I like our team. The only issue I see is depth. If we do not sign anyone else, then we are just going to have to hope that Hood and Twany can give us some production off the bench.

6. LooLoo
    11:09 am May 11, 2012 Permalink

What are the odds that Lyons would have a relationship with Miller, and that Mays would grow up a Purdue fan. This is almost too funny.

7. SteveM
    11:13 am May 11, 2012 Permalink

UK is not for everyone. Not everyone can stand the pressure of the biggest stage….like a country boy who doesn’t feel comfortable in the big city. If that’s the case here, he couldn’t perform at the level necessary to contribute at UK.

8. CATS
    11:14 am May 11, 2012 Permalink

Who is advising these kids? Their decisions are blowing my mind. If you want to get your name out there, and create a brand go to UK. It makes no sense. Do not go to bumfreak Indiana in the BIG 10 where they never score, and a team that is going to suck and isnever on tv. Good choice!!!!

9. BlueFins
    11:23 am May 11, 2012 Permalink

Moving on

10. dd
    11:24 am May 11, 2012 Permalink

Seriously? That is the title you use?

Why not … “Mays could sign with Purdue this weekend … or not!”

And if he does, he does. If the kid thinks that is a better fit for him, why not. In many ways, he may be correct. That wouldn’t surprise me at all.

11. Manbearpig
    11:28 am May 11, 2012 Permalink

Since graduation is going on this weekend campus and the downtown area will be somewhat busy this weekend.If Mays commits he will be disappointed to see campus usually isn’t this busy

12. Josh
    11:28 am May 11, 2012 Permalink

I’m not crazy about the idea of getting a transfer for just one year, especially one that hasn’t played in a major conference. If Mays was as great as he’s being made out to be, then he would be going to the NBA. I also think you could have some issues with a senior coming in who wants to be the main guy. I just don’t see it working out that well.

13. Me
    11:40 am May 11, 2012 Permalink

If a kid isn’t smart enough to pick UK over these other chumps, then they are too dumb to be here anyway.

Missouri, Arizona, Purdue… really?

Gonna be a little funny if / when UM, UA, and PU finish next season below us, OH AND don’t get those kids to the league either…

14. nick
    11:47 am May 11, 2012 Permalink

this doesn’t sound good. he has chosen to visit purdue which he should be more familiar with rather than taking a visit to lexington.

15. Hal
    11:50 am May 11, 2012 Permalink

Lyons
    Mays
    Bennett
    Shabazz
    Oriakhi
    Jefferson

List of guys we are missing on is getting a little concerning.

16. just saying
    11:54 am May 11, 2012 Permalink

the real issue is that this site makes up half of the recruiting info. KSR posts these reports on how well Cal sits with _____, and how much ______ loves Cal/UK and that they could be the missing piece, and how they would add to our depth. When the truth is KSR has ZERO recruiting insight, and gets most of their info surfing sites of other people.

This kid is NOT that good, and IF he comes here it will be as a bench player. This kid reminds me of all the hype we saw around Twanny Beckham, and the rumors of how he was gonna play serious minutes and how his size and speed would be needed. How much did he contribute? Same for this kid. The ONLY good thing about him was he would only have one year to play and wouldnt eat up a schedule. This kid is NEVER going to play in the NBA so for all the UK fans that think every kid should come here because it increases their chances to go pro, it only inceases their EXPOSURE to NBA scouts, but if you not NBA caliber it doesnt help you at all.

I say he goes to Purdue, a place where he can PLAY, and maybe start, something he wouldnt get here

17. just saying
    11:55 am May 11, 2012 Permalink

***scholly (not schedule)

18. BigBlue
    11:56 am May 11, 2012 Permalink

I hope we get Mays…we need another Shooter and his experience would add depth as well. His comments seem to suggest Purdue has him though…

19. Marcus L. Owens
    11:58 am May 11, 2012 Permalink

#12 gets it.

20. Marcus L. Owens
    12:00 pm May 11, 2012 Permalink

#16 good post. Dead on.

21. come on now
    12:08 pm May 11, 2012 Permalink

15. Watch out Hal, the sky is falling!!

1. Lyons was headcase, that had no real intentions of coming here, and most fans are happy about that
    2. Mays- has he decided yet? A 3-star PG looking for his 3rd school in 4 years, hmmmm…not losing sleep over this one
    3. Bennett- UK and UF were dropped because he COULD not qualify at a SEC school, and likely would have never played here because of those issues
    4. Shabazz- Ill give you this one, I think Shabazz not coming killed Calipari’s strategy
    5. Oriakhi- rumored to be Missouri lean from day one, and also most likely thought Bennett was coming
    6. Jefferson- has he decided yet? UK has been super high on his list for over 2 years and held off committing due to his interest. Problem is Cal spent so uch time thinking Bennett was coming, we may be too late.

Take Shabazz off that list, and NONE of those guys are really all that great, and Mays/Lyons/Oriakhi would have been nice because they would have one year of eligiblity, but other than added “depth” we havent miss to much. I still think either Jefferson or the kid from Va Tech will be here to play the PF, and we will have a seven man rotation, just like Cal likes!

22. Bmac
    12:17 pm May 11, 2012 Permalink

I have to admit I thought after winning a title we would have our pick of anyone we wanted.

23. SexnNursinHomes
    12:26 pm May 11, 2012 Permalink

21- good post

24. Paul
    12:32 pm May 11, 2012 Permalink

Not sure about Mays. I’m here in Dayton and never heard of him. He may not feel prepared for the big stage, bright lights, fan and media circus that is UK Basketball. West Lafayette by comparison……..

25. UK
    1:00 pm May 11, 2012 Permalink

I will gladly take Mays if he wants to be a part of this team. But if you look at our past two teams…
    2010– Knight and Lamb only guards, six man rotation, Final Four
    2011–Teague and Lamb only guards, seven man rotation, National Champs

2012– We have Harrow (who already has one year of learning Calipari’s system) and Goodwin

We’ve done fine with two guards…

26. Big Blue 66
    1:00 pm May 11, 2012 Permalink

22. Who wants to follow up this years group, its like who wants to coach after Bear Bryant…..these kids are looking for playing time to try to extend their career and maybe play in europe or somewhere, when Cal says, you get no guarantees, you have to work and earn it, they run for a softer landing spot

27. Truth
    1:01 pm May 11, 2012 Permalink

Any player that doesn’t come to UK is automatically not good enough to play at UK.

28. ballzofsteel
    1:18 pm May 11, 2012 Permalink

@16. You had better be careful posting negative comments like that on here…

29. OogieBoogieMan
    1:22 pm May 11, 2012 Permalink

Nothing wrong with a strong 6 or 7 man rotation… provided you don’t have any injuries. We’ve been real lucky on that front for the past couple of years, but it leaves no margin for error.

30. jaws2
    3:26 pm May 11, 2012 Permalink

If the guy shows up fine; it he doesn’t fine. UK will still be here either way.

31. cccatfan
    5:31 pm May 11, 2012 Permalink

Pg Harrow 5*, Sg Goodwin 5*, SF Poythress 5*, PF Wiltjer 5*, C Noel 5*, Bench Hood 4*, Cauley Stein 4*, Beckham (SEC starting pg experience). I think we are gonna be ok either way.

32. Bob
    7:52 pm May 11, 2012 Permalink

If they don’t want to come here, then fine, move on.

33. El Presidentayshaun
    9:23 pm May 11, 2012 Permalink

Um…….yes.

Obtain a degree from Purdue after departing Wright SIt is the ate?

The right statement; and, the best move he will ever make – on – or off the court.

34. TrueBlue
    11:18 pm May 11, 2012 Permalink

Can’t blame Mays if he chooses Purdue. Grew up a Purdue fan and will get to likely start in front of a good crowd. He would probably just sit the bench here.