Maybe It’s Not Time To Panic On 2012 Recruiting Class

class

A few months back we were all wondering when Calipari would land his first commitment in the 2012 recruiting class and now, well into August, we are still wondering when it will happen.  But the mild panic that was creeping in on the BBN can subside a little with the release of the new ESPN top high school recruits list.  There some concern early in the summer that a number of the top guys were committed elsewhere or at least considered strong leans for schools that were not Kentucky.  However the July evaluation period shook the rankings up a bit, and now only four of the top twenty five players are currently committed to a school.

Of those 21 uncommitted players, 11 of them are listed as considering Kentucky.  Of course, there is a difference between an uncommitted Michael Gilchrist who everyone knew would be coming to Kentucky and an uncommitted Shabazz Muhammad whose decision still seems up in the air, but with so many players to pick from I am certain Calipari will end up landing at least two to three top players to join Ryan Harrow next year.

Sure, I’d like to have a little security in the 2012 class as soon as possible, but wouldn’t it be great to see 4 guys all announce for Kentucky in the middle of the McDonalds All American game?  Maybe that’s what Cal’s been up to.

Article written by Will Lentz

22 Comments for Maybe It’s Not Time To Panic On 2012 Recruiting Class

1. ummm
    6:05 pm August 10, 2011 Permalink

98759875

2. Holden McGroin
    6:13 pm August 10, 2011 Permalink

looks wide open. Go Cal.

3. Says me
    6:18 pm August 10, 2011 Permalink

Only guys on that list not looking at UK, besides the 4 committed, are Kyle Anderson, Marcus Smart, Danuel House, Rodney Purvis, Jarnell Stokes, Shaq Goodwin, and Amile Jefferson. And really, that’s by UK choice, not because they were never interested in UK.

What you’re seeing is that basically 60-80% of the top 25 players are at least mildly interested in UK, probably 40-50% strongly interested.

That’s going to be a yearly thing.

Which is nice :).

4. stevie
    6:26 pm August 10, 2011 Permalink

You are absolutely right. We are done for. We will never be able to recruit another top player.

Oh woe, woe, woe.

I wish you clowns would shut up about 2012. Some of you guys are the biggest crybabies in the history of the world.

5. word
    6:28 pm August 10, 2011 Permalink

KABOOM!

6. Yroc53
    6:39 pm August 10, 2011 Permalink

I still think Cal has a few already committed silently but told them to hold off on making it official till later this season once this freshman class has played. That way it doesnt seem like he is just expecting them to go pro and have all 4 guys leave.

7. Will Lentz
    6:44 pm August 10, 2011 Permalink

4. Dude, did you read the post?

8. Holden McGroin
    6:44 pm August 10, 2011 Permalink

Knowing Cal, the above could be a roster list for UK.

9. 2012
    6:51 pm August 10, 2011 Permalink

I’ll take Shabazz, McGary, Polythress, and Goodwin please.

10. This comment is awaiting moderation.
    6:55 pm August 10, 2011 Permalink

4) Stevie: The biggest exaggerater in the history of the world.

11. P. Nussbaum
    7:09 pm August 10, 2011 Permalink

#4, Stevie, is being facetious (yeah, I know it ‘sounds’ crappy but it means he is pulling your leg). #4 read the posts, read the comments. Relax.

12. Hicks
    7:20 pm August 10, 2011 Permalink

What everyone has failed to notice is if we grab Tarczewski or McGary to go along with Wiltjer next year we will be starting two white boys up front. I don’t know about you but that’s a little too Dukish for me. Give me Shabazz, Ledo, and Ashley to go with Wiltjer and Harrow and it’s a perfect world.

13. bung
    7:53 pm August 10, 2011 Permalink

12) my my my…get the best players regardless of color is what they used to say when college basketball was mostly white… I believe it should apply now also.

14. DirtyOldMan
    7:59 pm August 10, 2011 Permalink

I have to admit, recruiting is kinda boring under Cal. I know UK will get who they want, I know they will all be studs, and I know we will only have 3-6 spots open, so we won’t get them all.

It’s a hell of alot better than looking at KSR every 10 min to see if we landed that 3 star “stud” player like I did under BCG.

15. arlie
    7:59 pm August 10, 2011 Permalink

I hope we get Tarczeski and McGary.

16. BLEEDSBLUEINBAMA
    8:00 pm August 10, 2011 Permalink

HOW ABOUT THIS, WE DON’T WORRY ABOUT 2012 YET AND JUST ENJOY THE SEASON TO COME!!

17. djeter
    8:18 pm August 10, 2011 Permalink

2012 starting 5= polson, hood, wiltjer, tarczewski, and mcgary!!! Cals Cracker’s!!! just joking guys LoL 😉

18. Blue Genius
    11:23 pm August 10, 2011 Permalink

“Wouldn’t it be great to see 4 guys all announce for Kentucky in the middle of the McDonalds All American game?” So, no commitments until March? Yeah I’m gonna go with NOT great. We’ll be pooping our pants until then.

19. ron
    9:02 am August 11, 2011 Permalink

I bet we don’t land one in the top 25 this year.

20. tubby says
    10:32 am August 11, 2011 Permalink

Hey 14, tubby was the king of 3 star players and below.

21. dan
    11:09 am August 11, 2011 Permalink

19) why are you such a pessimist? These guys are waiting to see who’s leaving and who’s staying. So it won’t be final until we know what the NBA is doing with their one and done rule. But Cal will still need to fill four scholarships even if the NBA goes to a two and done rule.

What we know is the PG slot is taken care of. Coleman is now saying OSU is equal to UK and Syracuse….So I think Cal is going after Drummond and probably McGary to replace Jones. Lamb is good as gone so he’ll need a reliable shooter from the wing…perhaps Goodwin? As well as a replacement for Miller…..probably Muhammad.

KABOOM! Third straight #1 recruiting class at Kentucky.

22. Adolph
    2:14 pm August 11, 2011 Permalink

19’s joking, stop being one of the 10% of the population that doesn’t get sarcasm.

Here’s how I sleep at night:

Tubby: have 0% faith until he proves me wrong.

Cal: have 100% faith until he proves me wrong.

Both keep me even, better than all the prescription drugs and shock therapy.