Max Smith is ready

Ladies and gentlemen, Neal Brown is in Lexington and his quarterback is excited to get to work.

Go Cats.

Article written by Drew Franklin

22 Comments for Max Smith is ready

1. Big Woop
    11:04 am December 10, 2012 Permalink

Perfect offense for Smith and Towles, but Whitlow can add a new wrinkle to the Air Raid with his running ability. Look for UK to be a top 5 team on offense in a year or two.

2. Loyal Blue
    11:05 am December 10, 2012 Permalink

What makes you think Max is “his” quarterback? Patrick and Jalen are on the roster also 😉

3. Billy
    11:06 am December 10, 2012 Permalink

I really believe Smith should get the job. I like Towles, but Max performed under Joker when most others didn’t. He deserves the job, not only that he is one hell of a QB!

4. Fun Times Ahead
    11:07 am December 10, 2012 Permalink

Lets not have a QB controversy yet. I’m still enjoying the new hires. Whoever plays UK’s offense is gonna be fun to watch again.

5. DUFFUS
    11:07 am December 10, 2012 Permalink

DUFFUS SAYS: Turn the damn “AIR RAID SIRENS” back on! Let’s get this thing done!!

6. JLivermore
    11:10 am December 10, 2012 Permalink

Hope the chemistry between Stoops and Brown works out. Sounds like the defensive-minded Tuberville may have held Brown back in Lubbock which would not be surprising given the previous failure that he had incorporating the spread with Tony Franklin at Auburn.

Get on board Ryan Timmons. You can be the next Craig Yeast.

7. Davis Webb
    11:13 am December 10, 2012 Permalink

I’m currently committed to Texas Tech but I might be ready too.

8. HeshimuEvans'2ndGradeTeacher
    11:22 am December 10, 2012 Permalink

Patrick Towles may have a thing to say about who the “coach’s qb” is.

9. asdf
    11:24 am December 10, 2012 Permalink

We don’t have a QB controversy. We just have the ingredients for a healthy competition in the spring, which is what any team hopes for at this point in the season. If there’s not a clear winner by kickoff for the first game, then we have a controversy….

10. SeoulCat
    11:26 am December 10, 2012 Permalink

This is great news. I can’t wait to see a Brown-Stoops led team. Give this staff three years. We will be rolling.

11. Poppschmidty
    11:28 am December 10, 2012 Permalink

I’d say the job is Smith’s or Towles’ to lose. Whitlow should be moved into a wildcat formation type of player, it’s doubtful his arm is strong enough for an Air Raid offense. Not a bad thing to have 3 experienced QB’s on the team; as long as their name is Hartline or Newton….

12. GeePee
    11:29 am December 10, 2012 Permalink

Max (or Pat, or Jalen), I can’t wait to watch you get to work!

13. Air Raid
    11:41 am December 10, 2012 Permalink

I still have my UK Air Raid hat… Going to be my new game day hat…

14. UKani
    11:45 am December 10, 2012 Permalink

There is no reason why Jalen Whitlow can’t play in this offense as well as the other 2 guys. I think its going to be a good QB compitition and one that will probably be won by the guy that make the best decisions with the ball and throws it accurately and quickly. Problem with Whitlow and Towles is that the game hasn’t slowed down for them yet… Moreso Towles than Whitlow. I think in the end we’ll see Max Smith at starting QB with Jaylen Whiltow moonlighting as wildcat QB. Lets hope that Patrick Towles will be content with that if it comes down to this.

15. Dr Mantis Taboggin
    11:45 am December 10, 2012 Permalink

Glad you have all the enthusiasm, enjoy being a back up the rest of your stay Mr. Smith. Towles is the higher recruit and they won’t jeopardize losing him in the transition, his job to lose all the way. Enough football already.

16. Alan Cutler's mustache
    12:11 pm December 10, 2012 Permalink

The best of luck to all the QBs. May the best man win and I hope the back ups push for playing time. I am hoping that a QB doesn’t need a PHD in quantum physics to start for this Offensive system, like the previous one. I am hoping that if a QB goes down to injury, like Smith did this last season, that all will not be lost. It seemed to me that Sanders would bet all of his chips on the pre season starter and hope for a full season with the guy.

17. Really?
    12:22 pm December 10, 2012 Permalink

15) that logic is just crazy! You don’t go with who was the higher rated prospect. You go with the best man for the job. Not saying towles won’t get the job but he is going to have to improve leaps and bounds to overtake smith. It’s is possible though considering how much smith improved last off season. I don’t know if people realize that before he went down, smith was leading the SEC in yards per game and tied for first in touchdowns! Even in jokers sorry excuse for an offense. Whoever it is I will support and will have confidence the staff picked the guy who gave us the best chance to win!!

18. Whatttttt
    12:22 pm December 10, 2012 Permalink

Max never threw a pass over 25 yards Towels will be the starter

19. Whatttttt
    12:24 pm December 10, 2012 Permalink

Jalen will never see the field at QB again write it down he is a receiver next year

20. HeshimuEvans'2ndGradeTeacher
    12:43 pm December 10, 2012 Permalink

Someone please tell me what you guys see in Max Smith? lol seriously!? The dude isn’t mobile to say the least, his arm is weak (have you seen the dude throw the ball down the field?) and you can throw out all your garbage stats you want, but give me a break. Max lead the SEC in passing before he got hurt(against the powers of UL, Kent St. and WKU)? I guess so, since he threw the ball 55 times a game! The dude averaged like 5 yds a pass lol! The job is Patrick’s, plain & simple. Man, you all haven’t seen good football in so long, you forgot what it looked like.

21. Chris
    1:08 pm December 10, 2012 Permalink

Smith will win the job and Towles will transfer

22. Fan Fan
    10:34 pm December 10, 2012 Permalink

All of u is wrong. Whitlow will be the starter. Remember I he has the most upside. He wasn’t in a passing offense in high school and he is better than max and towles. Has a stronger arm, faster, and more durable. He did better than max first yr and max comes from passing background and sat a yr to learn the offense. Towels has been trained by NFL and college QBs and he still couldn’t beat whitlow and couldn’t learn the offense he also kind of chickened out when he got hit in the Tennessee game. Told coaches he didn’t want to play after big hit. Whitlow is by far the best and a NFL prospect after the next season. Just wait and see