Matt Elam got some mail today

elam-letters-july

One of the new staff’s favorite recruiting strategies thus far has been bulk mailing. Recruits like Drew Barker, Thaddeus Snodgrass, and Jarret LaRubbio have all posted picture of the massive amounts of mail they’ve received from the Kentucky staff, but Matt Elam’s latest trip to the mailbox may break all of their records. Elam posted a picture of the 182 letters he received from UK today with the captions “Okay Okay Here Is A Picture Of 182 Letters From UK This Has To Be A Record Or Something Ha !! BBN #Crazy #WeAreUK” and “Haha Just Got Over A Hundred Letters From Uk, You Know Just A Normal Mail Day Haha #BBN #SorryMailLady.”

For real, props to the mail lady. Along with opening the Ohio pipeline, the UK football staff can add keeping the US Postal Service in business to their resume.

Elam says he tries to read each of them. Here’s my question: at what point do you give up and stop reading, or do you power through them all? I hope he has a good letter opener.

29 Comments for Matt Elam got some mail today

1. Marc
    2:03 pm July 1, 2013 Permalink

stop reading and commit!

2. John
    2:05 pm July 1, 2013 Permalink

Just how big of a mail box do you have to have for it to hold 182 letters?

3. JustCurious
    2:06 pm July 1, 2013 Permalink

Are they letters or postcards?

4. Jeff
    2:07 pm July 1, 2013 Permalink

Stay home Son, Come be a Hero

5. Honky Kong
    2:23 pm July 1, 2013 Permalink

If my math is correct, that’s $83.72 in postage.

6. Sin The'
    2:25 pm July 1, 2013 Permalink

Why 182 and not 183?

7. Sobatka
    2:30 pm July 1, 2013 Permalink

Yer a wizard Matt.

8. Bluegrass Man
    2:30 pm July 1, 2013 Permalink

184x.45 = $82.80

Great way to spend money guys and only slightly stalker-ish.

9. Michael Bluth
    2:31 pm July 1, 2013 Permalink

Just keep your head down and power through.

10. I Say
    2:36 pm July 1, 2013 Permalink

@8 postage is .46 now

11. Michael Scott
    2:38 pm July 1, 2013 Permalink

#9 That’s what she said!

12. LT
    2:43 pm July 1, 2013 Permalink

At what point does the NCAA see this as paying a player with “valuable” recycleable material?

13. LT
    2:46 pm July 1, 2013 Permalink

That being said, do whatever it takes, legally, to get this dude!

14. KFund Donor
    2:57 pm July 1, 2013 Permalink

Postage is a lot less than a recruiting trip. Elam is less than an hour drive away and does not require airfare, hotel, etc. The postage is well within the recruiting budget for this kid. I knew some dumbass would bring this up.

15. Seriously
    3:02 pm July 1, 2013 Permalink

I’m really not trying to be a downer, and I would love to get Elam but don’t we make fun of other schools for doing this same type of stuff? Also how often do they do this per recruit cause it seems like I’ve read at least 4-5 posts about Elam getting this type of mail haul. Could just be my imagination

16. Mr Obvious
    3:15 pm July 1, 2013 Permalink

Is anyone in Lexington aware that E-town now has email? I bet the post office workers and everyone else in Etown will be glad when Elam finally commits to UK!

17. KnowYourHistory
    3:21 pm July 1, 2013 Permalink

Here’s an idea for the recruiters: Give the recruits a UK-themed letter opener (if the NCAA would allow it). No matter which school’s letter a recruit opens, he would use something with UK on it.

18. Bobbum man
    3:40 pm July 1, 2013 Permalink

If I were a recruit I would get really annoyed with this…. But alas, I am not

19. Matt Elam
    3:42 pm July 1, 2013 Permalink

Reading 182 letters still beats receiving one creepy tweet from Joker.

20. Musehobo
    3:53 pm July 1, 2013 Permalink

I always try to not be a homer idiot. So when I see stuff like this I remember how I’ve made fun of schools doing the same thing. However, I didn’t realize (until recently) that the school has different students, coaches, or whatever, write him personalized notes. That makes it go from weird, to more like awkward yearbook signing. As awkward as it can be sometimes to write those notes, you can’t deny that you read every one of those in your yearbook, and kind of liked the attention. This is a smart move.

21. Stig1115
    4:22 pm July 1, 2013 Permalink

It’s shocking how out of touch some of our fans are with how athletes are recruited. The mail thing is OUTSTANDING…the only embarrassing part about it, is that we weren’t doing it until Stoops got here and starting REALLY recruiting.

22. David from Bowling Green
    4:34 pm July 1, 2013 Permalink

@8, 10, bulk mail rates are closer to 25 cents per piece, maybe a bit less than that.

23. Cats in the NBA
    5:39 pm July 1, 2013 Permalink

At this point it would be dumb not to trust Stoops & Co.

24. Tree
    6:32 pm July 1, 2013 Permalink

Thanks a lot for killing all of us. Couldn’t u geniuses just legalize hemp and mail your silly crap using that?

25. kellydog
    7:26 pm July 1, 2013 Permalink

Decision matrix – Go to UK, get 182 letters, go to Alabama win a national championship while playing beside the best linemen in the nation. Seems like a no brainer if you have plans on playing in the NFL….

26. Are you kidding me?
    9:36 pm July 1, 2013 Permalink

They probably used a FLAT RATE BOX with all of them in it. Geez fellas….$5 would send them all.

27. jimlowe7
    9:52 pm July 1, 2013 Permalink

Does anyone know if they were from 182 INDIVIDUALS? (coaches, students, teachers, administrators, etc) Or were they like 30 each from half-dozen coaches? This information could sway people’s opinions one way or the other. Can someone find out?

28. JBCat
    11:17 pm July 1, 2013 Permalink

#14, #22 — Tell ’em

#18– Unless UL was recruiting you, and then you would think it was great, right?

#25–Stevie Johnson, Corey Peters, Jacob Tamme, Randall Cobb, Larry Warford, Danny Trevathan, Winston Guy, Andre Woodson, Keenan Burton, Myron Pryor, Jeremy Jarmon, John Conner, Trevard Lindley (am I missing anybody?) might disagree with your statement about playing in the league… and those were just the drafted guys in the last 5-6 years. Tim Masthay, Wesley Woodyard, Garry Williams might say the same thing.

Mr. Elam will have no problem playing in the NFL if he were to choose UK

29. kellydog
    8:36 pm July 3, 2013 Permalink

#28, are any of the players you mention linemen? Don’t think so…