Image via Barker’s Instgram
barker-elam

In case you missed “The Leach Report” this morning, John Hardin DT Matt Elam came on in the final segment to talk about his recruitment and his feelings about the Cats. Elam, who picked up an offer from Notre Dame yesterday, said that he had a blast at UK’s camp this week, and that the current 2014 commitments made it “really hard” to leave without pledging his allegiance to the blue and white. What stopped him? Elam says that he wants to wait to announce his decision until the US Army All-American Bowl in January, and that Ohio State and Notre Dame’s recent offers have “changed things a little.”

However, Elam is still high on the Cats. He says he absolutely loves the coaching staff, and that Mark Stoops is doing a great job in selling the chance to play in the SEC, along with his track record of getting defensive lineman in the NFL at Florida State. Also appealing was Stoops’ pitch of helping build the UK football program into a contender, and Elam’s friendships with Drew Barker, Mike Edwards, Darius West, Mikel Horton and the other 2014 commitments, with whom he had a blast. Elam recounted everyone’s excitement when Mike Edwards committed on Monday, and said that the group then looked to him to pull the trigger, even pressing him to give a silent commitment so he could still announce at the US Army AA game. He says still held off, but from the way he raved about his experience on campus, you can tell he was tempted. The x-factor in Kentucky’s favor? Elam says he’s a “mama’s boy,” and word has it mama wants him close to home at UK.

Plenty of time to come be a hero, big guy.

28 Comments for Matt Elam says the UK commits made leaving campus without committing “really hard”

1. sexington
    10:46 am June 12, 2013 Permalink

this sounds postive

2. CoCoUK22
    10:46 am June 12, 2013 Permalink

listen to mama

3. bigblue
    10:47 am June 12, 2013 Permalink

C’mon Matt!… be a CAT! We need you brother. Once that blue is in your blood you’ll never get it out. Work really hard for 3-4 years and with the talent surrounding you at UK you’ll be a pro. Whatever you do… don’t go big 10/ACC.

4. Yup
    10:47 am June 12, 2013 Permalink

Lets hope he doesnt feel the same way when he visits other schools. I dont imagine he will. Sure, he will have a blast hanging out with bamas stud recruits. But our new culture is obvious and very special. Our incoming recruiting class (2013) is also very special, but i sense they were sold on and excited about the opportunity to be the next best UK/SEC player and theres an opportunity for playing time. The difference between that and the 2014 class is the comraderie (spelling?). They (2014) seem to be much more focused on being an unforgettable TEAM more than player. They complement and recruit eachother very well. Matt Elam will be the next big piece of this recruiting class.

5. Facts or good story
    10:48 am June 12, 2013 Permalink

Two weeks ago there was a bunch of talk about 4-star OL Marcelys Jones, an Ohio State commit, visiting UK on June 11. Drew Franklin raved about Stoops flipping this recruit from under Urban Meyer. How did Marceys’ visit go yesterday? We have heard a word since. Will there be an update later? I would think that such a big deal was made about him coming here from KSR we would have heard something.

6. Mike
    10:50 am June 12, 2013 Permalink

@3 exactly. I could accept him going to Alabama. Thats the best program in the country in the best conference in the country. I would be disgusted if he opted for ohio state or notre dame. Would not make sense to me. That being said, I’m almost certain he’s a lock for the blue and white.

7. Reality
    10:56 am June 12, 2013 Permalink

5. KSR took the usual path with the Marcelys Jones visit…they made it up. The motto here should be: Don’t let the facts get in the way of a good story. Marcelys Jones never even talked about UK let alone intended to visit. In fact when later asked why he was visiting UK, he replied, why would I go there. Typical KSR story.

8. Jarvis Redwine
    11:04 am June 12, 2013 Permalink

“Reality,” define the word typical. It appears you may be ignorant of the meaning of that word.

9. JEREMY
    11:11 am June 12, 2013 Permalink

Wow, can you imagine the pressure this kid is under? Seems like a really good kid and I can relate to the momma’s boy part! Lets hope that keeps him KY! GO CATS!

10. Hold Up
    11:15 am June 12, 2013 Permalink

6, you’d be “disgusted” if he went to Notre Dame and it doesn’t make sense? You’re serious with that? I get it, UK is a program on the rise (at least in recruiting) with Stoops and company. However, Notre Dame is a prestigious program while also being one of the best places in the country to get a degree. I know everyone wants him at UK, but don’t use ignorant comments like that. Just like with basketball, do we want every elite recruit, especially from KY? Well, yes we do, but there are other good options out there too, just support the kid no matter what.

11. Reality
    11:16 am June 12, 2013 Permalink

8. Do you need a remedial English lesson? I used it properly. It means a characteristic of a particular thing. It is characteristic of KSR to exaggerate or make up stories that have no basis. How do you not understand this?

12. FeedMeSeymour
    11:18 am June 12, 2013 Permalink

I hope Elam holds off until the AA game, builds up his recruiting stars and then commits to UK at the game. That would just be more icing on the cake for UK recruiting.

13. Rockfield, KY
    11:20 am June 12, 2013 Permalink

Matt Elam is a good kid. I hope he chooses to come play here. Seems like he is close with all our big commits, so I think we’ll get good news from him in January. From one mama’s boy to another.

14. Reality
    11:25 am June 12, 2013 Permalink

Yet, I continue to linger about here for some reason unbeknownst to me.

Inferiority complex? There’s a good chance that is correct…

15. Jack Nicklaus
    11:27 am June 12, 2013 Permalink

I always thought Andy and Barney’s fun girls from Mount Pilot were kinda hot.

16. Funny
    11:39 am June 12, 2013 Permalink

14. Oh the irony you just wrote without realizing. Yes, tell me why would REALITY linger on this site. REALITY never played a part in these discussions before. Why should reality matter now?

17. UKfanNKY
    11:39 am June 12, 2013 Permalink

Mr. Elam the BBN would welcome you with open arms come help Coach Stoopps and his Staff turn KENTUCKY FOOTBALL into a power house be apart of KY HISTORY!!! GO Matt & GO CATS!!!

18. Al/in/Indy
    11:50 am June 12, 2013 Permalink

The funniest part of Uvel trolls coming in here is that every time they check this site out they just make Matt’s house and car payment……..CHA-BEERS!!!!!!!!!

19. Scooby
    12:00 pm June 12, 2013 Permalink

5 & 7 – Marcelys is VERY hush hush with his recruitment….wouldn’t even tell coaches or ANY media if he was in Lex…. A visit was supposed to have happened. But there has been literally no info leaked. He is a guys that if and when he flips (I think he will) it will be NSD. Kid is extremely quiet.

My Class Predictions:

**** (5.9) Artavis Scott — WR
    **** (5.9) Drew Barker — QB
    **** (5.9) Mikel Horton — RB
    **** (5.9)Boom Williams — RB
    **** (5.8) Braxton Berrios- WR
    ****(5.8) Blake Bone — WR
    **** (5.8) Denzel Ware — DE (Will get bumped up)
    ****(5.8) Marcelys Jones — OL
    **** (5.8) Thaddeus Snodgrass — WR
    **** (5.8) Darius West — DB
    **** (5.8) Ryan Flannigan — LB (May think 4-star Juco/ Not evaluated yet)
    **** (5.8) Matt Elam — DL (Should get the bump up)
    *** (5.7) Adam Duckett — OL

*** (5.7) Kobie Walker — LB
    *** (5.7) TJ Harrell — Ath
    *** (5.6) Terry Ramsey — OL
    *** (5.6) Brady Taylor — OL
    *** (5.6) Nico Frios — LB
    *** (5.5) Tymere Dubose — DL

Good for 2176pts in Rivals System –-in 2013 that was good for 13th in the nation….

20. Mack
    12:04 pm June 12, 2013 Permalink

Not too hard.

21. UKNation
    12:14 pm June 12, 2013 Permalink

While I would LOVE a verbal from him, his decision to wait to make a decision shows maturity. The other schools he got an offer from are no joke. OSU went undefeated last year. Notre Dame played in the NC game. I wish him luck and he looks best in Blue and white though.

22. RICK
    12:16 pm June 12, 2013 Permalink

Why would any one go to Notre Dame? Just ask Ohio State.

23. NKYguy
    12:39 pm June 12, 2013 Permalink

Id say the fact that UK went 2-10 and lost to WKU while OSU went undefeated and ND made it to the title game is also a big reason Elam is waiting to commit and considering taking his talents elsewhere

24. I Say
    12:41 pm June 12, 2013 Permalink

22 Why would anyone go to Kentucky? Just ask any team in the SEC, or in the country for that matter.

25. If it were me
    12:52 pm June 12, 2013 Permalink

I don’t know why the kid is waiting for the US Army AA Bowl to announce, but if he wants to wait to see how these new UK coaches perform during the season to see if UK improves its results over the last couple years, then I think that’s a pretty smart move. If UK tanks and several of the 2014 recruits decommit while Bama, OSU and the Irish have their typical seasons, then won’t he be glad he didn’t pull the trigger early.

26. So I again broke my vow to not read another Elam post.

“Starting ‘NOW’!!!”
    -Kramer from Seinfeld

27. kadizkat
    1:38 pm June 12, 2013 Permalink

This isn’t original with me but you can tell UK is making progress by all the trolls on a football story!

28. bluegrassstu
    2:25 pm June 12, 2013 Permalink

5,7,19. a very good friend of mine told me marcelys said on a ohio state fan site last week, he had no interest in the cats, and the story of him visiting this week was made up. oh well.