Matt Elam puts Kentucky in his top five

MattElam

Earlier this week, we told you how Matt Elam was getting some major attention from Alabama. The defensive tackle from E-town skyped with Nick Saban and got a visit from Alabama assistant coach Lance Thompson this week, but in an interview with 247’s Charles Power, says he still has the Cats in his top five:

“I would say my top five in no order is Kentucky, Alabama, Louisville, Tennessee, and Florida. But if other colleges like Ohio State or Florida State for instance come in, I’d like to think they could make the top five. I’m just trying to keep my mind open and talk to all these coaches.”

That’s pretty lofty company. What did he have to say about the Cats? Read on…

“UK, I wouldn’t say they’re pressuring me to commit, but they’re talking a lot about it now. Drew Barker is about to make his decision and they’re talking about possibly getting his commitment. I wouldn’t say they’re pressuring me, but showing a lot of love. They’re showing me how the team is going to be with Coach Stoops coming in. He’s a defensive guy and I’m a defensive player, so he’s talking about how they could help me and how I could help with the rebuilding.”

Should we call it the Drew Barker domino effect?

14 Comments for Matt Elam puts Kentucky in his top five

1. MrJohnsonUK
    10:36 am May 10, 2013 Permalink

It’s weird to see this picture and know exactly which classroom that is from high school 10 years ago…

2. Steve
    10:39 am May 10, 2013 Permalink

That sounds like we are being over zealous and it’s starting to turn him off.

3. Bobby
    10:42 am May 10, 2013 Permalink

He looks like roger the alien

4. doug_kotar
    10:54 am May 10, 2013 Permalink

and if you don’t know who i am, check your history. this kid is huge, saw him at the grocery the other day, more like 6-7, 360. i think his height and weight statistics are off a little. one of his coaches told me his 40 time is unbelievable for a kid his size. 4.55-4.75 range. i would love to see him in blue and white, but if Saban comes calling, well, it’s kind of like when Calipari comes calling in hoops. you gotta go with who puts more people in the NFL. plus the competition for his job in practice at Alabama would be ridiculous. we have already seen what Alabama can do for one kid in Elizabethtown (ie Brandon Deaderick). either way, i wish this kid the best, his administration sings high praises about him, and from what little i have been around him, he seems like a great kid.

5. Chad
    11:03 am May 10, 2013 Permalink

You can’t generalize that Alabama makes everyone better. They stole Shawn Alexander from that area and when they came to Commonwealth that was the “Couch to Yeast” overtime victory!!! Would have been nice for Alexander to have come to Kentucky!

6. The Flash
    11:04 am May 10, 2013 Permalink

#4 You have lost your mind on that fort time. He may run a 5.55-5.75, but no way he runs a 4.75 or below. My guess is you will see him run in the mid 5’s at camps this year. If he breaks a 5.25 at 360 pounds every school in the country will offer. If he breaks 5 then the NFL may waive the 3 year college rule.

7. Rockfield, KY
    11:06 am May 10, 2013 Permalink

We NEED this kid. He is an absolute beast of a man, and he has his head in the right place. It’s a toss-up on who I’d rather have between him and Barker.

8. This Is It...
    11:20 am May 10, 2013 Permalink

#5Chad…Then UK coach Bill Curry said he was to slow…

9. Travis
    11:47 am May 10, 2013 Permalink

I think his top five are in order. No facts other than my personal opinion. I hope he comes to UK. Another Hardin County student athlete on the team would be great! GO CATS

10. MadTex
    12:44 pm May 10, 2013 Permalink

Matt Elam would be making a HUGE mistake coming to UK – they’re a bunch of losers and Stoops will soon realize that. BarnFart pulled the wool over Stoop’s eyes….

11. Plan B
    2:08 pm May 10, 2013 Permalink

#10. Said the same thing to your mom about her not getting an abortion.

12. doug_kotar
    3:18 pm May 10, 2013 Permalink

#6 have you seen him run? just saying. i’m going by what kids who have played against him have said, as well as administration members. i haven’t witnessed it, just going by the information that was given to me. the kid is very athletic for his size.

13. doug_kotar
    3:24 pm May 10, 2013 Permalink

#6 . NFL minimum times for DE and DT are 5.00 to 5.2, notice i said minimum. if you run over that you don’t have much of a chance. other DE’s and DT’s in the league run from 4.4(Freeney) to 4.8. I’m just saying, Raji at GB runs it under 4.85 . here is a website that shows some of the information. http://40-yard-dash-times.com/40-yard-dash-average.html

14. Boomer
    8:43 pm May 10, 2013 Permalink

I think Elam is full of himself, and although he’s big, he’s not SEC physically fit. Lose some weight chubby.