Matt Elam named one of 247’s “Five on the Rise”

matt-elam

We’ve talked a lot about how underrated Elizabethtown defensive tackle Matt Elam is, and it looks like some recruiting services are doing the same. Today, 247’s JC Shurburtt named Elam one of his “Five on the Rise” in the 2014 class based on his “limitless upside”:

1- Matt Elam, DT, Elizabethtown (Ky.) Hardin
The 6-foot-5, 340-pound Elam is a player that you have to dig in to on film and project a bit (he’s very raw), but once you do it’s obvious that he has limitless upside because of the way he moves around for a guy his size. Elam recently accepted an invitation to the 2014 U.S. Army All-American Bowl and also is expected to move into the top 50 of the 2014 Top247 in the near future. Crystal Ball says Kentucky over Alabama.

Elam is currently on UK’s campus with the coaching staff and 2014 commitments. Enjoy yourself, big man.

15 Comments for Matt Elam named one of 247’s “Five on the Rise”

1. JMM
    3:08 pm June 10, 2013 Permalink

Did we ever think we would be talking about this type of talent at UK? How far we have come in the past eight months… JMM

2. SeaCat
    3:16 pm June 10, 2013 Permalink

He sure seems proud of his paunch.

3. Gotta say it
    3:18 pm June 10, 2013 Permalink

I’d say his upside is limited. He already weighs 340. I don’t think he’s going up much higher than that. I’d hate to be in the backfield with him waiting there to crush me.

4. big O
    3:21 pm June 10, 2013 Permalink

reminds me of the fat kid in a dodge ball game. he will not last long in the SEC trenches if he does not shed the inner tube around the waist. But then again, you can’t coach size!!! i imagine some significant time with the strength coach and less time at the table will take care of the issue.

5. Stoooooooops
    3:32 pm June 10, 2013 Permalink

Wish we had Stoops when Lamar Dawson was in high school. He was the best player to come out of the state since Couch. I think we need to slow down at looking at recruiting so much and look at what Stoops has already got for a sec. I don’t know if this kid will ever be as good as Hatcher is. I haven’t heard anything about him since he signed.
    I will say this in a couple years our D-line could be Hatcher and Elam in the interior with Ware on the edge. That would be a highly rated d-line and in football if you have good lines every thing else looks better. Brooks had success because of players like Peters and Pryor.

6. bb
    3:32 pm June 10, 2013 Permalink

I’d love to have him at UK, I’m sure he is a beast. However, he’s on the list only because saban is on board and recruiting him.

7. Downcline
    3:33 pm June 10, 2013 Permalink

I’d guess his UK playing weight will be right at 300

8. gobgblu37
    3:49 pm June 10, 2013 Permalink

No way 300, if he was 6’1″ probably but at 6’5″ I bet closer to 320. He is just a huge kid, teach him a proper diet and football techniques and you got an all American.

9. Duffus
    4:02 pm June 10, 2013 Permalink

Great foot work is the key—-playing weight will be 380—-playing the middle—clog it up big boy!!!!

10. Stoooooooooops
    4:04 pm June 10, 2013 Permalink

7 No way this kid will be down to 300lbs looks like he packs the weight well at 350 with baby fat. When he gets to UK and gets to work out with the strength coaching staff he could be a beast if this kid comes to UK with Hatcher, Ware, and others UK will have a 5 SEC D-line in about 2 or 3 years. Who would have thought that last year with Joker!
    In football it all starts out up frount with your line and Stoops is taking care of that. With Brown bringing the Air Raid in our offence is going to be good. Now, it looks like Stoops will have his D on track fast then most thought was possible. UK will finally have a O that can Score and a D that can stop people at the same time. That means in about 2 or 3 years we will have a team our fans deserve after backing poor teams for so long. Hell give Stoops a raise!

11. Scooby
    4:07 pm June 10, 2013 Permalink

5 hatcher will be on the outside…

12. Stoooooooooops
    4:19 pm June 10, 2013 Permalink

11 from what I seen out of him you could be right or I think he could bulk up and play tackle. He has the build to bulk up more but skilled enough to play D-end. Any way we have the makings of a great D-Line in a couple years.

13. Alabama
    5:15 pm June 10, 2013 Permalink

Alabama already has 2 dt commits?

14. FeedMeSeymour
    6:26 pm June 10, 2013 Permalink

Elam’s footwork is amazing for a guy this big! I really want him at UK!

15. Chaz
    12:33 am June 11, 2013 Permalink

From bleacherreport.com : Florida Target 4-Star DT Matt Elam Calls Out Joker Phillips on Twitter

Looks like for SEC it’s either UK or UA for young Mr. Elam. This article highlights how at least one elite recruit feels about awkward photoshopped pictures: