Matt Elam likes the Cats a lot, texts Drew Barker regularly

elam

This morning, 2014 standout Matt Elam called in to Kentucky Sports Radio to talk about his recruitment and clear up some confusion about “Sweatshirtgate” that happened earlier this week. The 6’6″ 325 defensive tackle from John Hardin High in Elizabethtown said that he’s considering (in no particular order) Alabama, Kentucky, Louisville, Florida, and Tennessee. Elam said that neither the Gators nor the Volunteers have offered him a scholarship yet, but there’s been plenty of interest.

That’s a pretty impressive list. Why did Elam put the Cats on it?

“I like Kentucky a lot with Stoops coming in. The Spring Game was fun, the environment was special, the crowd…I can tell he’s changing the program already.

When asked, Elam said that he had a little interest in the Cats when the previous staff was in charge, but when the new staff came in, “it just blew up, changed my mind a lot about UK.”

Additionally, he said he has a good relationship with UK’s defensive line coach, Jimmy Brumbaugh, who visited him at his school yesterday. Stoops’ defensive focus is very appealing to Elam, whom Brumbaugh said could be the nucleus of Kentucky’s defense if he committed. Also appealing? The fact that Kentucky is his home state school and he’d be playing in the SEC.

As for him wearing the UK sweatshirt on the day a Louisville assistant coach visited? Don’t read too much into that. Elam said that he didn’t realize UofL running backs coach Kenny Carter was coming that day and just reached for something in his closet. In fact, Carter laughed it off. Louisville fans? Not so much. Elam called their reaction on Twitter “very childish,” but said that every fan base has that type of fans.

While the Elizabethtown native admitted he was a neutral fan growing up, he did give Cats fans some promising signs. Elam said that he has established a good friendship with fellow in-state talent Drew Barker, and texts him regularly, as recently as last night. At the Spring Game, he also became friends with recent UK commit Mikel Horton.

Elam has no time frame for his decision and said that he’ll let everyone know “when the time is right.” For now, he’s just enjoying the ride.

Show him some love on Twitter: @FballIsLife69

28 Comments for Matt Elam likes the Cats a lot, texts Drew Barker regularly

1. Catpapa2525
    11:06 am April 24, 2013 Permalink

So UGLY….

2. Cat Fan in Georgia
    11:16 am April 24, 2013 Permalink

I know that I’m an old fart, and I don’t Tweet, but why would a high school kid welcome a group of anonymous fans bombarding him via Twitter? Serious question. Do kids expect that these days? Does it really have any effect as regards recruiting?

3. 100% not racist...
    11:18 am April 24, 2013 Permalink

but what ethnicity is he?

4. Jeez
    11:24 am April 24, 2013 Permalink

#1 and #3, go to the UL site and troll please. Uncalled for. Obviously not cat fans. I really like this kid. Very polite and a great player. You could take some lessons from him. #2 – I follow a lot of the recruits on Twitter although I do not tweet. However, yes they do like and expect fan base followers on Twitter. Almost like a contest of sorts to see how many fans they can get to follow them. Unfortunately with this comes the negative also.

5. Michael F. Jox
    11:36 am April 24, 2013 Permalink

I know he’s a D-lineman and all but dude looks like he needs to get in a little better shape.

6. Are you serious?
    11:43 am April 24, 2013 Permalink

@ #4

How do you know they are not Cat fans?

Also, thank God it was him wearing a UK shirt when UL coaches visit and not the other way around…. he would have had death threats on Twitter as well as racist and probably fitness related jabs. But why? why do you think that would happen with the “upstanding” UK fanbase…..?

7. julius randle
    11:46 am April 24, 2013 Permalink

When did I commit to unlv?

8. Are You Serious??
    11:48 am April 24, 2013 Permalink

“JULIUS RANDLE when he committed to UNLV was absolutely berated to a ridiculous level by UK children. I can not imagine what you guys will resort to if Wiggins goes to Kansas or UNC…. he will then become “the most overrated prospect in the past decade” right?”

9. julius randle
    12:00 pm April 24, 2013 Permalink

I’m pretty sure you have some facts wrong Mr. Serious because I’m playing at uk next yr.

10. UKfanNKY
    12:06 pm April 24, 2013 Permalink

LOUISVILLE fans go to your own message board and get off the BBN site!! MATT THE BBN WECOMES YOU MY MAN THE CATS WOULD BE PROUD TO HAVE YOU ON BOARD!!! GO CATS!!!

11. Anthony Bennet
    12:06 pm April 24, 2013 Permalink

is he talking about me?

12. Spenser
    12:07 pm April 24, 2013 Permalink

I think number 8 was talking about number 11

13. Jeez
    12:10 pm April 24, 2013 Permalink

#6 – Let me explain this to you in terms you will understand. Fans do not post negative comments about recruits that we are trying to sign – so it doesn’t take a genius to figure out they are trolls. This site is full of them. Now, please post a link where Randle committed to UNLV and the fans berated him. I’m pretty up to date on UK recruiting but must have missed that one. Pretty sure he’s a Cat.

14. Are you Serious?
    12:20 pm April 24, 2013 Permalink

Yeah, sorry I got my names mixed up – I meant Bennett from last year. The scenario still stands the same.

I do not commit as much time and energy, as a grown man, into memorizing and following the life of an 18 year old kid I have never met…. as you guys have become accustomed too. And then pooring all your love and energy into them only to have them bolt after 7 months. You guys realize they do not care about UK right? they care about Cal and only Cal – Wall, Cousins, and Bledsoe all proved that his first year. None of them had UK on their radar at all, they followed Cal, but you guys act all the time like “of course they came to UK, it is the best, everyone wants to come here, we set the standard blah blah blah” Just wait until Cal moves on and then these kids will have no reason to go to the dump that is Lexington.

@ #13 Anthony Bennett had to shut down his twitter for awhile because of all the crap he was getting from UK fans after he decided to go to UNLV. Attacking him, calling him overrated, and that you guys did not want him anyway because he would have been backing up Poythress and Wiltjer! haha. UK fans are notorious for being the worst at going overboard anytime someone says/does something against UK. Like the idea of boycotting UPS last year because they showed the Duke game in their logistics commercial….. just ridiculous.

15. I Say
    12:24 pm April 24, 2013 Permalink

What part of asking what ethnicity he is was trolling? Get off your high horse douche

16. sarcastaball
    12:26 pm April 24, 2013 Permalink

Yea guys….Louisville fans are just incapable of doing things like that

17. FanOfMatt
    12:34 pm April 24, 2013 Permalink

Matt is mixed with white & black. I go to school with him. & who cares if he looks like he’s out of shape? Apparently it’s working for him if he’s getting all these offers. & yes, he’s a very nice guy & he works really hard to get all this. He deserves it. Quit hating you’re just jealous.

18. bluristhurr
    12:35 pm April 24, 2013 Permalink

#14 It’s not news anymore that recruits commit to coach’s get with the program it has been explained here on KSR. Most UK fans realized this the last couple years of Tubby

19. Jay
    12:43 pm April 24, 2013 Permalink

#14 You don’t have the time and energy memorizing the life of an 18 year old but you do have the time to go on a UK fan web site and post several comments and 1 of them being the longest comment on the thread. Keep the web page hits coming for KSR.

20. UKSweatshirt
    12:54 pm April 24, 2013 Permalink

I don’t buy that wearing me was a mistake per say… Wasn’t my twin and I being worn on both Elam and his buddy that same day, (was it the quarterback?) or was that a random picture?

21. Get real, Jay
    12:58 pm April 24, 2013 Permalink

Yeah……? It takes 2 minutes to type a comment as opposed to the level of commitment it takes to follow people on twitter and keep up with their high school coaches, girlfriends, AAU coaches, “inside sources” etc. etc.

Not to mention then constantly praising them along the process only to completely berate them when they decide to go elsewhere.

I am really interested to see the BS that comes from UK fans if Wiggins commits somewhere else. It will be comical.

22. lol
    1:14 pm April 24, 2013 Permalink

21 Your a louisville fan on a pro Uk website, you automatically lose. Go to your room little brother.

23. LOL
    1:29 pm April 24, 2013 Permalink

I follow the sports team in the state, I am only passionate about the quality program that lies in a quality city that is not a$$ backwards.

I will go to my room and sit with my Sugar Bowl trophy and National Championship trophy. I have room for Russ’ POY trophy and Bridgewater’s Heisman and second BCS trophy as well.

24. lol
    1:33 pm April 24, 2013 Permalink

you can go ahead and gargle their balls and sit on their laps too

25. Goggles
    1:42 pm April 24, 2013 Permalink

At least they are of age

You can go ahead and do the same with the 17 year olds you guys idolize on the hardwood

26. Biglaw Dawgin'
    2:09 pm April 24, 2013 Permalink

That is one massive kid. Geez.

And whoever said out of shape needs to go watch a football game every once in a while. Extra mass is necessary for the line, and certainly does not mean out of shape.

27. MustangCat
    2:41 pm April 24, 2013 Permalink

@14: would you please tell us all why BRIDGEWATER is at UL??? Everyone knows it wasn’t because of UL. Hurtt already owned that kid and bought him to UL, i mean brought him to UL with him. And you guys can expect to see some major fallout over all of that. Talking eligibility, then we talk vacated wins….. won’t that be fun? Jurick and Strong are trying to figure out how much its gonna cost ya’ll to try and buy your way outa that. As far as the Elam kid, trust me, we want him. He’ll be a 4-star when they rate him after this year. He’s a monster. Got great feet. Moves really well. Very quick for a guy that size. true brute strength. I live down in the e-town area. He’s for real.

28. nick saban
    5:45 pm April 24, 2013 Permalink

If i offered him, you know he is the real deal. We will welcome him with open arms here in `bama.