After he got done catering to the fine people of the Bluegrass this morning, Matt Jones jumped on the phone with his brother from another mother, Bomani Jones, and talked all things college basketball. They discussed UK, the SEC, Shavlik Randolph and why letting your mothers cut up your steak for you is a bad idea. Check it out here.
A few more notes…
– It’s all high fives and fist pounds for UK’s entire 2011 class being named to the Jordan Brand Classic, as well as the McDonald’s All-American Game. However, this also means that none of them will participate in the Derby City Festival Classic, due to a rule that limits high schoolers to two post-season all-star games. For those of you that still hold Simeon Naydenov’s narrow victory over Erik Daniels in the 2000 dunk contest close to your heart, you have my sincere condolences.
– We mentioned this yesterday as possibly being an error, but it was confirmed on Sportscenter today. Todd McShay ranks Randall Cobb as the #4 running back in the NFL Draft, which is particularly impressive considering he never really played the position at UK. McShay also has Cobb rated as the third-best wide receiver, which means he’s caught that vicious Randall Cobb mancrush bug that lingered around Lexington the past three years. If he ranks him as the draft’s prettiest eyes, a specialist might need to be called.
– Depending on your feelings, this is either good news or bad news. Either way, it’s news. UCLA hired former Cincinnati and USF defensive coordinatior Joe Tresey to lead their defensive unit, which means that Steve Brown is sticking around. It also means there’s now a metaphorical Bearcat going around and biting him in the ass.
– The world has heard your cries and the line that once started at 20 points is now down to the Cats being favored by 17.5. That’s right. Seventeen and a half!!!!!!
– The men’s team weren’t the only ones getting in on the All-American action. Women’s hoops commit Bria Goss will play in the Nike All-American Game. It has a much longer title, but it really doesn’t change the context. She’s an All-American and she’s coming to Kentucky. That’s a good thing.
– On a non-UK related note, OJ Simpson apparently got beaten up by some skinheads in prison. This is being reported by The National Enquirer. It really doesn’t mean much here, but it does mean that the next season of Gangland is going to have a celebrity cameo!!!
– Here it is. Your obligatory Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue link. I get the feeling this is required of all bloggers.
If you missed the Kentucky Sports Radio radio show this morning, the podcast is below for your listening enjoyment. Matt and Zach