Matrix shows little difference between red and blue pill

uk-v-louisville-recruiting-rank-trends

The website called College Football Matrix answered this question from @swagsman84 of Louisville: So can Kragthrope recruit as well as UK?

It’s unknown if swagsman was unaware of the Cards new head coach or if he was just feeling nostalgic, but the fine folks over at the Matrix decided to answer his question and make it relevantly up-to-date as well. They started by plotting the overall rank of each school’s recruiting class over the past ten years, as well as the average rank for each four-year period in that time frame. The most recent aggregation (2008-2011) ranked Louisville at #44 and UK at #45 overall. In regards to swagsman’s question, U of L took their biggest recruiting hits during the Kragthorpe years. However, a Charlie Strong 2011 class ranking of 30 bumped the Cards past the Cats in the most recent four year total. So no, swagsman, Kragthorpe can’t recruit as well as UK.

The College Football Matrix pointed out that while U of L has had a solid showing in the past two years, UK has made the more consistent improvement in the entire ten-year frame.

Here’s the same chart in numbers form for those of you who enjoy that kind of thing:

Recruits

Article written by Matthew Hays

14 Comments for Matrix shows little difference between red and blue pill

1. mocha
    5:03 pm July 27, 2011 Permalink

always bet on blue!

2. Cat Since Birth
    5:25 pm July 27, 2011 Permalink

What is not noticed is the fact that even though we may be close on paper, Louisville’s chances at success are way higher than UK’s due to the difference in conference. If Strong consistently brings in the top 1 or 2 Big East recruiting classes he will have a shot at a BCS game every year. Take that same class to the SEC (pointing at you, Joker) and you finished 5th or 6th in your division and keep your fingers crossed that you make it to the Birmingham Toilet Bowl only to get pounded by a Big East team.

The fact that Kentucky is not a recruiting hot bed is a moot point. We need to stop blaming our unsuccessful football team on “Boo Hoo… the SEC is too hard. Boo Hoo Boo Hoo”.. Charlie Strong knows what type of players he needs to win a Big East championship and he goes after them, spending less time on the blue chips and more time on the 3-4 star players. He will take advantage of a weak BCS conference every year just like WVU has done.

Joker Phillips will never admit that 2 and 3 star players are not going to win the SEC East. He is playing it safe, scheduling just enough cupcakes to make it to one of the 95 bowl games they have now and knows at the end of the year that is enough to keep his job.

Bottom line, Kentucky needs to pay the big bucks for a top coach or bring in someone to get excitement (Mike Leach for example) around the program where good players see them on TV and say, “I want to be part of that”.

Until then, I guess I’ll watch bubble screens, accept losses to Tennessee every year and book my flight to Birmingham.

3. Blue Virus
    12:13 pm July 28, 2011 Permalink

as long as we keep waxin’ dat ass every year, who gives an ish about recruit rankings.

4. roundrobin
    12:30 pm July 28, 2011 Permalink

that chart and numbers are too hard on my brain…all i know is we are beating them

5. ink
    12:36 pm July 28, 2011 Permalink

please show comparable charts for BB recruiting

6. YouKnowImRight
    1:02 pm July 28, 2011 Permalink

Let’s try this with basketball haha

7. Mags Bennett
    1:26 pm July 28, 2011 Permalink

Let me preface by saying I’m a huge UK football fan, however this chart won’t be close 5 years from now. Assuming Strong stays at UL, I see no way we are able to pull in the same type of talent they will get. His ties in Florida will continue to pull in players and as they get better you’ll see better players go there. 1st or 2nd in the Big East gets much more notice than a 4th or 5th in the SEC, hate to say it but facts are facts. Just look at what Petrino did when he was there, his best was 31st, Strong eclipsed that in his 2nd year having accomplished nothing yet. I see our programs going in opposite directions as long as Strong is at UL.

8. Upper Section Student
    1:31 pm July 28, 2011 Permalink

#2. I like your style.

9. swagsman84
    2:06 pm July 28, 2011 Permalink

Hey, I just asked a question for one. For two, and a lot more importantly, I’m a UK fan. I hate Louisville, I was just asking a question. A huge shoutout goes to your top notch research staff. A simple click on my profile would have said Kentucky fan. Good job.

10. Emmert still sucks
    2:48 pm July 28, 2011 Permalink

I would like to know what they would be ranked if you did it after their players show up on campus. I know several of their highly ranked players won’t make it to campus so their ranking is bogus!

11. mkalg
    5:33 pm July 28, 2011 Permalink

The general tone of the comments are correct. UK recruiting is not good at all. Most UK fans are happy competing with L-ville. I personally am not happy that it is accepted as a great recruiting class for Joker. It is near the bottom of the conference. We will never compete in the SEC as long as we continue to recruit 3 star players. Randall Cobb was an exception, not the rule.
    Until UK is willing to get a coach that can pull football talent the way that Cal pulls talent in basketball, we will never compete at championship level in the SEC. Bottom Line!

12. Matthew Hays
    8:34 am July 29, 2011 Permalink

9) I never said you were a U of L fan. I just insinuated that the way you phrased your question was kind of dumb. However, I understand that dumb and Louisville fan are always associated together, so that’s probably where the misunderstanding occurred. In the future, avoid being dumb and no one will assume you’re a Louisville fan. Good job.

13. mark emmert
    11:09 am July 29, 2011 Permalink

[email protected] email mark emmert right now

14. RealTalk