Maryland’s Dez Wells cleared to play this season

Breaking news! Dez Wells, who transferred from Xavier to Maryland over the summer, has been cleared to play this season, which yes, means he will play Friday. Wells had an impressive freshman season at Xavier, averaging 9.8 points and 4.9 rebounds a game before the school expelled him for an alleged sexual assault. Wells transferred to Maryland after visiting a number of schools, including Kentucky, but was denied eligibility on October 26th. His appeal being approved before the season starts comes as surprising news to say the least.

Friday’s game just got a little more interesting.

39 Comments for Maryland’s Dez Wells cleared to play this season

1. afidler
    11:18 am November 7, 2012 Permalink

Goodman says this is good enough to put Maryland in his top-25.

2. Conjk123
    11:22 am November 7, 2012 Permalink

This means that MD will likely pull the upset , with out him i had UK winning by 13 but now MD should win this one by 10 sorry UK buddies I’m Pissed to , because this is what MD fans have wanted ever since we got the Harrison’s they wanted to beat us badly to stick it to us , let us know what happened , so my advice is let em because will fight right back , and will whoop em !

3. jumpman78
    11:26 am November 7, 2012 Permalink

2. What, does that qualify as English? And this guy is good but he is not going to mak a 23 pt. difference.

4. NKY_UK_fan
    11:34 am November 7, 2012 Permalink

Who cares. It’s Maryland. We are UK!

5. I'm Batman
    11:37 am November 7, 2012 Permalink

2 – how mad Marylan fans are has no impact on how much the players want to win. They want to win because they are competitive. They couldn’t care less about the Harrison twins. I’m guessing a butthurt Maryland fan or a UL fan, right?

6. Evil
    11:38 am November 7, 2012 Permalink

2 – I bet you voted for Obama. Grammar like that is what I saw from pretty much every Obama fan.

7. #Rise
    11:38 am November 7, 2012 Permalink

This just in….Enes Kanter is still not cleared to play

8. FlashOfBlue
    11:42 am November 7, 2012 Permalink

Just in time for the UK vs. MD game….how conVEEEEEEEnient.

9. Zeke69
    11:50 am November 7, 2012 Permalink

The timing of the NCAA is just flat out amazing. In some cases, this one, Cam Newton, etc. they can quickly make decisions. In other cases like UK, they take three months to rule on Nerlens and a whole year on Enes.

10. warrior
    11:50 am November 7, 2012 Permalink

warrior sayeth “Bring it on big boy” thus sayeth the Warrior.

11. steve
    11:54 am November 7, 2012 Permalink

just another example of how the ncaa will stick it to uk however they can…

12. emlang08
    11:56 am November 7, 2012 Permalink

Classic Mark Emmert!

13. BigBlueAces
    11:58 am November 7, 2012 Permalink

Dez Wells will hit a mu^[email protected]&[email protected]!!!!

14. TCG
    11:58 am November 7, 2012 Permalink

Dez is a very good player. He will make a big impact on this game. I was already a little nervoue about it but this ups that quite a bit. Didn’t want to start the season 0-1 (maybe 0-2) but that looks like a very strong possibility now.

15. Chi-TownCat
    12:06 pm November 7, 2012 Permalink

Have faith BBN we got this

16. John Wall
    12:07 pm November 7, 2012 Permalink

We got this game no doubt, but this guy looks pretty damn good. Nothing we cant handle tho BBN

17. Chi-TownCat
    12:08 pm November 7, 2012 Permalink

I would be more worried if this was a street fight

18. Chi-TownCat
    12:09 pm November 7, 2012 Permalink

Was he able to practice this whole time ?

19. Cats Fan From Cincy
    12:13 pm November 7, 2012 Permalink

Dez Wells got the absolute shaft from Xavier. He deserves to play and I’m happy for him, even if it makes it that much harder for the Cats on Friday.

20. bigbluejon
    12:18 pm November 7, 2012 Permalink

We will have to be content with the 0-2 start, knowing that Calipari will have us ready in March. Be patient, BBN

21. RUPPS_rhetoric
    12:20 pm November 7, 2012 Permalink

18) Yes, he was never an “ineligible” player per se. He was a transfer sitting out this year. He was granted a hardship waiver because his dismissal from Xavier was bogus. So yes, he was practicing like any other transfer would, he just doesn’t have to sit out the transfer year.

22. John Wall
    12:21 pm November 7, 2012 Permalink

What is Maryland basketball?

23. RUPPS_rhetoric
    12:22 pm November 7, 2012 Permalink

PEOPLE!!! WE WON’T START 0-2!! Why is everyone acting like this kid is Michael Jordan. Maryland was mediocre at best without him, now they’re barely mediocre. NEWS FLASH… KENTUCKY IS GOOD! We may fall to Duke in a close one, but this Maryland game is ours to lose. Have a little faith in Cal and boys.

24. Jordan
    12:22 pm November 7, 2012 Permalink

I can’t stand the thought of losing to UMD and DUKE but after watching the 2 exhibitions I’m not feeling confident. Wiltjer looks slower than last year and Harrow has been horrible.

25. SEC MANIAC
    12:30 pm November 7, 2012 Permalink

I’m glad he will be eligible. I want our guys to be tested early even if that means a loss. Faust and Wells should give Goodwin and Harrow a battle in the backcourt. Also, I’m looking forward to seeing Noel/WCS vs. Alex Len. Len is 7-1 and is supposed to breakout this season. He is currently projected as a lottery pick in next years draft. Seeing how Noel and WCS battle against Len will be something that NBA scouts will want to see too.

26. I'm gunna say it
    12:32 pm November 7, 2012 Permalink

Kyle Wiltjer could not even guard Dickie V.

Am I the only one who notices how awful he is on Defense? The guy can shoot yeah, but that doesn’t mean anything if the guy he is guarding can score every oppurtunity as well!

C’mon Kyle, work on those feet man!

27. Appropriate Name
    12:38 pm November 7, 2012 Permalink

Well, #6 it appears that you are aptly named. Were you functioning as the grammar police for Obama voters? How selfless of you…

28. Jordan
    12:39 pm November 7, 2012 Permalink

#26) That’s exactly what I saw in the Exhibitions. I want WCS to start over Wiltjer. Our team is anchored by its defense and having Wiltjer off the bench would provide a scoring punch. Wiltjer and Harrow are making me nervous in the starting lineup

29. The Stickleyville Slingshot
    12:56 pm November 7, 2012 Permalink

6. – It’s over. You lost. Now you just look like an asshole.

30. barn
    12:58 pm November 7, 2012 Permalink

i guess the ncaa can make timely decisions when they want to. which reminds me, has anyone heard anything on the unc ‘investigation’?

31. America
    1:06 pm November 7, 2012 Permalink

29 – 6 didn’t lose, I did.

32. Rockfield, KY
    1:07 pm November 7, 2012 Permalink

Let’s see what happens when our team full of McD AA’s gets into the flow of the game. I like our chances.

33. Evil
    1:12 pm November 7, 2012 Permalink

29 – I think the one who looks like an asshole is you. You mad, bro?

34. Conjk123
    1:25 pm November 7, 2012 Permalink

no #’s 5 , I’m a Huge UK fan , but I am more of a sports nerd and Basketball fan , and no #6 I actually have common sense and voted for Mitt Romney ! so Do ASSUME ANYTHING BECAUSE WHEN ASSUME YOU KIND OF MAKE AN ASS OUT OF YOU AND ME !!!! and the reason my grammar so bad is because I’m a student and I’m working on it , so please don’t make it a big Issue like #3 did !

35. hahahahahah
    1:49 pm November 7, 2012 Permalink

6.) Hey Mr. Grammar Police, you either saw or didn’t see. You can’t “pretty much” see something, that is “pretty much” bad english. I mean only if you want to be grammatically correct …. Just sayin….

34.) Hey Bub! Just a heads up here, but if you are still in a grade low enough to not have learned better grammar skills than shown, I would suspect you aren’t old enough to vote. See, it’s one or the other, you’re are either 18 and old enough to have learned the English Language, or you’re 12 and have an excuse …. There really is no in between.

Dez Wells won’t make a bit of difference. Maryland is awful, Cats struggle early and win by 12-14 late. This early in the year, 12-14 point win is equivalent to a 30-40 point route in January and February

36. The Joke was on us
    3:27 pm November 7, 2012 Permalink

NCAA did right by this kid. He got screwed to start with. No way we start 0-2. We simply are better the Duke or MD.
    Last time checked this isn’t English 101. All these grammar police get over yourselves.

37. Evil
    4:22 pm November 7, 2012 Permalink

36 – English 101 is obviously too advanced for you.

35 – My bad. I suppose a figure of speech is meant to be taken literally and not figuratively.

38. Katdaddy
    4:43 pm November 7, 2012 Permalink

Won’t be the end of the world if we do start 0-2 because march is more important.

39. Kevin
    8:39 pm November 7, 2012 Permalink

Grammar counts. There are rules.