Marty Brennaman has some thoughts on UK’s trip to the Reds game

You’ll probably remember earlier this week when Coach Cal packed up the national championship trophy and traveled to Cincinnati to be honored and throw out the first pitch before the Reds game against the Giants. You also might remember that fans in Cincinnati were upset about this visit and vented some of their frustrations by booing Coach Cal during the festivities. Well, Reds announcer Marty Brennaman has something to say to those fans, and he told Jerry Tipton all about it. Here’s some of what he said:

When the Reds introduced Calipari, boos could be heard. This prompted Marty Brennaman, the Reds’ Hall of Fame play-by-play man, to scold those who booed.

“We’re a regional franchise,” Brennaman said later in a telephone conversation later in the week, “and Kentucky is a very important part of that region. I said, ‘You people ought to be ashamed of yourselves.’ ”

As Brennaman recalled, the Reds have recognized teams in the region at least as far back as 1999, when John Cooper and Jim O’Brien, Ohio State’s football and basketball coaches, respectively, took bows.

Of course, the Reds invited Calipari to throw out the first pitch because Kentucky won this year’s NCAA Tournament.

For whatever reason, the invitation was unpopular with some people.

“That’s just stupid,” Brennaman said. “For people to get upset over it, it’s the most ludicrous thing that I’ve ever heard of.”

However, the 69-year-old Brennaman didn’t limit his criticism to fans of the Reds. He talked about Kentucky fans, as well, but focused on their lackluster attendance at the special event instead:

Seldom shy about speaking his mind, Brennaman also criticized Kentucky fans, presumably those living in Northern Kentucky, in particular, for not attending the Reds-Giants game Tuesday in greater numbers.

“All I hear about is Big Blue Nation, and Big Blue this and Big Blue that,” he said in recalling his on-air comments. “I said, I’m frankly surprised and disappointed at the number of Kentucky fans who showed up at the ballpark tonight knowing (Calipari) and his staff and the trophy were all going to be here.

“I guess you’re Big Blue fans as long as you don’t have to go into your pocket and buy a ticket.”

I have to say it’s a little ridiculous to criticize a fanbase that’s legendary for going anywhere and everywhere to watch their team, and that just spent the month of March traveling all over the country to follow the Cats, for choosing not to show up to a baseball game. Still, everyone has a right to their opinion no matter how off base it is, although Marty should probably stick to his particular areas of expertise, like talking about how awful Reds fans are, in the future.

Article written by Hunter Campbell

I used to write here.

88 Comments for Marty Brennaman has some thoughts on UK’s trip to the Reds game

1. Ridge Runner
    4:05 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

Yes, Mr. Brennaman we are Big Blue Nation. Not the Big Red Nation. That is a deeper comment than it may first appear and one I have mentioned on here before with some scolding me. But it is what it is. Cincinnati is in Ohio and a line has to be drawn somewhere by many of us.

2. Ridge Runner
    4:06 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

That comment along with my thinking anything north of the Ohio is “Enemy-Yankee-Territory” ought to bring some of ya out to fuss at me.

😉

3. BigBlue
    4:10 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

BBN>’Reds Nation’…that guy is a typical cincinnati loud mouth. Who cares what he says.

4. JV
    4:14 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

Marty is good at what he does but he’s not really that good of a guy.

5. WKY Cat Fan
    4:21 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

Do we really care what this idiot’s opinion is about anything? We are the BBN, 2nd to none among all college fans…who cares what this guy thinks?

6. Put Down the Cancer Stick
    4:30 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

Marty-stick to what you do best…

7. SeoulCat
    4:32 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

I love Marty, but he’s wrong for assuming that the low turnout was because fans did not want to shell out $$ to see the festivities. Our fans open up their wallets time and time again when we sell out Rupp (every single home game), when we travel and fill up neutral arenas (and get into opponents’ home gyms), when we line up for hours for player autograph signings, etc.

The fact that the turnout was as poor as it was probably had more to do with A). Coach Cal already showed the trophy to practically everyone in the Bluegrass during his statewide tour, and B). people would rather go to the Craft Center to see trophies than travel up I-75 to see an underachieving Reds team play a sport that fewer and fewer people like these days (baseball is the sport-of-choice in the SeoulCat household, but I understand I’m in the minority here..at least in KY).

8. BigBlueCats
    4:37 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

Yes Mr. Brennaman. We are BBN and out of all the things you heard, someone must have forgotten to mention that you dont criticize the Cats or BBN without seeing some sort of backlash. First off, BBN did not invite Cal and the Trophy to a Reds game. The Reds did. Second. Who wants to pay for a ticket to a Cinncinatti Reds game just to see a trophy at a considerable distance. Because any UK fans that were there for that were not there to see the crappiest, biggest choke artist team of the past 30 years play for 4 hours and probably lose. But I guess Reds fans getting to see some sort of trophy is something special for them. BBN travels to events that involve the UK Wildcats Basketball team. Not for friggen baseball

9. Holler Baller
    4:40 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

Marty is the man, remember listening to him when I was 5 years old. One of the best at calling a baseball game. Think he also used to do some NCAA radio games in the past.

10. jchcharley
    4:40 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

Maybe we just didn’t what to go to cincinnati. Cal just wanted to show them a trophy that isn’t old and rusty. Jealous a holes Marty included we get more for a practice,than the reds get for most games.

11. WKY Cat Fan
    4:48 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

Well said, #8. We all know how cheap it is to go to a home game at Rupp, much less an away game.

12. WKY Cat Fan
    4:49 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

… & #7.

13. univky
    4:57 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

Marty is a UNC grad….enough said….

14. Jim Hyams
    4:57 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

Look who wrote this article. I do not believe MB meant to rile up KY fans but JT put his usual spin on the comments.

15. bigblueandme
    4:59 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

I live in Northern Kentucky and am a BBN fan. Why wouldn’t we expect people in Cincinnati, Ohio to boo UK, at the Reds game which is a 5 minute drive to UC. I see no problem in it. That being said, I didn’t see the Reds advertising all around Kentucky to come and see the Cats at the game. I also didn’t see any special perks for any UK fan that went to the Reds game. Stick to announcing the Reds Marty.

16. Sean
    5:01 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

Marty’s first point is dead on correct. His second point… well, not so much. At least he understands why the Red’s invited UK, and why it makes so much sense from a business standpoint. Silly for UK haters to care who the Red’s invite to Great American Ballpark.

17. Big Diesel
    5:08 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

Marty is the Jerry Tipton of Cincinnati Sports.

18. nkycat22
    5:11 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

I live in northern ky and have been a reds fan and a kentucky fan all of my life what I will say is that Marty has officially reached that age where he does not at all care about what others will think about what he says. He just says it when it comes into his mind. He has been a legend since I was a kid but the man is generally angry about most things. I am not even truly sure if he even really likes the reds anymore. So the fact that he made those comments are not surprising but it should be noted he would say the very same things about his reds

19. Ashland Lurker
    5:12 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

I loved the Big Red Machine and they were definitely a great regional franchise, but they haven’t been the same since they traded Tony Perez for Woody Fryman. (Whose idea was that?) The first and probably last time I’ve been to Great American Ballpark was to see Paul McCartney.

20. Mkgistebow
    5:18 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

Bbn just outfoxed a boring Cincinnati franchise that thought it could trick us into attending a terrible baseball game. Thanks but no thanks reds, we simply sent the trophy over as motivational tactic to show you that when a talented team works hard and does the right things, championships follow. But as all losers do, you criticized the greatest fan base of the most dominant basketball team in the world. Well played.

21. House
    5:18 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

Marty is great iconic announcer IMO. But lets face reality here, he is a CRANKY OLD SOB. Thats just who he is and one of his quirks. You can’t take his comments personally because he is critical of everyone and everything it seems like.

22. Mt. Washington Mike
    5:29 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

Hey Marty……………… BBN in the matter of weeks went in great numbers to New Orleans for SEC Tourney, Louisville, Atlanta, and back to New Orleans for the NCAA. Then drew 20,000 for the welcome home celebration. Maybe we are tapped out for a week or two. Plus we had all these Final Four and Championship t-shirts to buy……….. So Bite me dude.

23. crazycatfan
    5:33 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

13 – Ditto that!!!
    14 – Exactly my thoughts!!!

24. Maxbps8
    5:34 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

I and about 8,000 other UK fans were at the game which bumped the REDS Tuesday night number to 19k for the first time a in a few decades, I believe. So Marty’s miss informed. AND add that to the fact that (1) this SPECIAL GAME EVENT was NOT announced until a few days before so the BBN did not have much advance-notice. And (2) they announced that the ENTIRE TEAM would be there…NOT ONE PLAYER WAS THERE! I should ask for my money back! GO BRM2! And GO BBN!!!

25. Jd4uk1
    5:36 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

Go Big Blue and Go Yankees!

26. bigbluemachine
    6:02 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

i love ya marty but maybe a lot of us were at the Darius Miller autograph signing that went on at the exact same time

27. Bmac
    6:25 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

How sad is it when you have to call out the fans of another team because they didn’t come fill your otherwise empty stadium?

28. Designated Drinker
    6:29 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

Next time do it on a Friday night or weekend day, since Not all Kentucky fans aren’t as close to Cincy as say OSU fans that live in Cincy. Also, announce it earlier than 4 days before. I went to a Reds game Wednesday night when it rained all night and would’ve changed if I hadn’t already bought tickets. Don’t blame BBN for poor planning by Reds PR. Still though, Go Cats and Go Reds!

29. Ridge Runner
    6:33 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

Not to be simplistic here but…

Not all Kentucky fans are Reds fans. If you take northern ky away (say from Grant County & up) it really deminishes.

Go Braves!

30. MKG fan
    6:49 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

Um, it’s baseball.

31. KeenlandKurt
    6:56 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

Piss on Marty & the Reds. I can find another team easily to root for in MLB. Big Blue Nation has no tithes that bind us to Cincy.

32. KeenlandKurt
    6:59 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

for that matter, Hell, I think those around Cincy think they have UK in their hand and Brennaman isn’t the only old man saying something like this. You can see it in the way many Cincy fans act and think. Ky people grow some gonads & ditch that stuck up crowd.

33. me
    7:01 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

I am from the cincy area and have lived here all my life. I work in advertising and my sister in law works local tv news in cincinnati. And i will tell you this right from the get go. Marty brenaman is an asshole and a insufferable prick. And anyone that has had any type of business with him will tell you that. He hates uk, and is a lifelong UNC fan

34. Mark
    7:02 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

Marty Brennaman is the “voice” that officially is now drawing a wedge between northern ky Big Blue Nation & the Reds. I’ve been a Reds fans for years but I won’t bother to leave them by the waste side.

35. Mark
    7:03 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

Hell with Cincinnati

36. Karen
    7:09 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

I am a nurse in northern Ky and I too see the appearance that all of the Cincinnati media has in that they think they own northern ky and can sway the way we think and act. Disturbing. This is just a public example of what many of us see everyday.

37. BlueMist
    7:14 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

I live just outside of Paintsville & am a Braves fan. I have nothing against the Reds and they have a lot of fans in the upper part of the state as mentioned earlier. But I think many may want to reconsider where their loyalties are.

38. West Ky. hoops fan
    7:16 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

Marty needs to go back to hating on how the St. Louis Cardinals continually kick the Reds butts.
    Besides, a lot of the state isn’t necessarily Reds fans. There are a lot of Cardinals, Braves and (for some reason) Cubs fans scattered around the state.

And, as has been pointed out, Cal and the championship trophy have already toured the state once. Why do we need to go to Cincy to see it again?

39. Bledsoe's Biceps
    7:20 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

Marty was just being a shill for his employer (the Reds). Like many other aspects of that organization, they tried to get by on the cheap (not much advertising of this event or promotion/special ticket pricing to encourage BBN to buy tickets). Then he/they were disappointed when BBN didn’t fill the stadium, as they had hoped. Who in the hell wants to waste the money & time just to say they were in the same large facility as the trophy and Cal? As far as I know, there was no chance to see it or Cal up close, get your picture taken with Cal or the trophy, etc. So what did the Reds and Marty actually think was the real appeal of this event? He and the Reds should be thankful for every extra ticket that was sold to a member of BBN, because it was pure charity.

40. Bigbean
    7:27 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

All of your responses just add to the fact of why we have a bad rep! This fan base kills me.

41. TheFakeJamaalMagloire
    7:41 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

Sorry Marty but I spent all my money going to New Orleans to see the Cats win the that trophey. Didn’t need to go to GAPB on a Tuesday night to see it again.

42. Kerry
    7:42 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

40 – Move to Cincy and root for UC then.

43. Sammydog
    7:43 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

I have a different take on this. Cal and UK were doing the Reds and the City a favor by taking the time to go to the game and help make it a special event. Sure it was an opportunity to let Northern KY see the trophy but more broadly it was the kind of generous act that Cal does all the time. He did not have to do this and there was actually very little in it for UK. Those Buckeyes really know how to bite one of the hands that feed them. The Louisville fans have behaved the same way regarding the Pegasus Parade believing that an event that has nothing to do with basketball should not honor a National Championship earned by our state’s University. We are polarized in every area of our lives now. Just wait until the Cats are honored at the White House this summer. There will be a sizable number of UK fans who will be angry if we go, believing it is political betrayal rather than an honor to meet the President no matter who it is. Unless we learn to get along we are doomed

44. Kerry
    7:45 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

43 – well said.

45. Mason
    7:53 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

For those of you saying that Marty Brenneman needs to “stick to what he knows” I’ll remind you that it was Marty Brenneman who was calling the 1992 regional final… He knows college basketball and probably better than the majority of the KSR readers. He also knows how many people in NKY claim the BBN and frankly I went to the game and was very surprised that there were not more in attendance – especially since this was the only opportunity to see the trophy in the area. Marty was right on both accounts. NKY BBN should have represented better and completely drowned out any booing by the idiot buckeyes. GO WILDCATS and GO REDS!!!!!!!

46. Mason
    7:54 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

Sorry for mispelling Brennaman

47. blitzedanddazed
    7:54 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

Marty B. is a bitter old man that thinks that people actually care what he thinks.
    Just call the baseball game Marty, other than that just shut the f–k up.

48. UK Homer
    7:54 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

I think he’s trying to challenge us, but this would have been better to do BEFORE the event to get us to want to prove him wrong. I live in the Cincy/NKY area and can say that was a chilly night as well. If you’re already on the fence about going for the reasons mentioned above, then that probably clinched it. Many UK fans will always be Reds fans, but maybe we shouldn’t bring the extended family together for reasons like this. Reds, Bengals, and UC fans are bitter at the world because of underachievement. Half of the city even roots against XU when they do well.

49. UK Homer
    7:56 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

43, good point

50. BlueForEver
    7:57 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

Mason, there are times you have to pick a side.

Looks like you picked yours. Get out of Big Blue Nation and suck up to your Reds fans.

51. Greg
    7:59 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

50) Your kind of right there. Time to choose in a time like this. You can’t have both.

52. CatFaninFlorida
    8:04 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

I am a die hard UK fan and live outside of Miami. I am a Dolphins fan big time. But one things for sure, if ever both were at odds — I’m bleeding blue & the Dolphins can hold it.

Mason & others, you better do a soul search on where your loyalties lie.

53. Mason
    8:04 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

That’s ridiculous. I am a UK grad and live in Cincy. I’m diehard for both. The fact that this is an issue is dumb. The fantastic ownership of the Reds reached out to their fans in KY and showed their respect for greatness by inviting UK. It’s not like this is the first time Cal has been to a Reds game – he went last year and did the same TV interview for FSN Ohio. There is some precedent here

54. Johnson
    8:05 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

Who cares he’ll be dead soon, he’s like 80 isn’t he?

55. Mason
    8:05 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

The Reds and UK Basketball = apples and oranges

56. Mason
    8:06 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

Real classy 54. It’s people like you who don’t deserve to be a BBN member

57. Kerry
    8:08 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

55) Trying to ride the fence will hurt in the end. You have shown your colors.

58. me
    8:12 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

45. I was in atlanta and new orleans. Was you? If not,you need to STFU.

59. Rich
    8:13 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

I have been a Reds fan and UK fan forever it seems. But much of what has been said in here is true. Cincinnati thinks they are an extention to northern ky and it is really getting to me and my friends. I live in Latonia. This latest Brennaman display is about to tip the cart away from anything associated north of the Ohio River for me.

Go Big Blue & stuff it Marty & the Reds.

60. Mason
    8:16 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

58 – you’re an uneducated idiot

61. Me
    8:16 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

Brennaman, WTF???

Screw you and Cincinnati

62. Mason
    8:16 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

I guess that was redundant – but you probably wouldn’t understand why

63. thenamerobdigity
    8:17 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

He should see how many people went to Florence mall and got UK autographs. Furthermore, he is part of the reds product and attendance is down because the reds haven’t had a playoff win in over a decade.

64. Cleveland Brown
    8:20 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

It was wrong when the Reds shaved Dave Parker.

65. Bigbean
    8:27 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

Proving a point is awesome. You people are saying to pick a side? Really???? Wow are you 14 you dumb dumb people. Telling an actual uk grad that he’s not a fan when most of you have never stepped foot on a campus?? Wow I’m glad I know where my heart is and I’m so glad to know you’re allowed to cheer for pro teams. Hell most of you root for derick rose because cal coached him! That’s not very loyal if you ask me, he went to Memphis btw and is one reason think out coach is a cheater

66. Bigbean
    8:28 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

Paying 80 dollar for an autograph doesn’t make you more of a fan either!!!

67. UK Homer
    8:35 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

59 – Cincy wants NKY’s money (ex: Reds game), but they don’t claim us as the same as them. I work in Cincy and live in NKY – that’s the impression I get. My 4 years at UK will outweigh any # of years I live here. Love it here, but not because of the Ohioans.

68. Huff
    8:36 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

They announced that Cal was going to be at the game with very little notice. Some of us had things that were already planned (like my daughter’s recital). I know lots of Cats fans who attended and was sad every time I turned down an invite to join a group headed to the game. The point is…you can only do so much to get people into the park to watch a half-assed baseball team. They should feel lucky that the attendance was even remotely more than normal at GABP for a mid-week game.

69. Huff
    8:40 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

(and before anyone jumps in about me calling the Reds a half-assed team…I hit several games every year. They’re a half-assed team)

70. David in Cincinnati
    8:57 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

Most of you must be too young to remember that Marty use to call UK games on Regional TV. I think it was in the early to mid 80’s.

71. David in Cincinnati
    8:59 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

Marty is an excellent college basketball announcer on both tv and radio.

72. Mason
    9:10 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

65 – GREAT point about D Rose and thanks. 68 – Why do you think we’re “half-assed?” They’re grinders. They go first to third. They just seem half-assed because they strike out a lot – even Votto. I would like to see them work counts more but they are a hell of a defensive team and they’re going to make the playoffs this year.

Oh btw – I know they haven’t won a playoff game since 95, BUT the Reds are 9-0 in their last 9 WORLD SERIES GAMES! That’s gettin it done. There are far worse teams with playoff dryspells.

73. BigBlueWilly
    9:18 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

#68, you hit the nail on the head. With all due respect to Marty Brenneman, BBN had about 3 days notice of the event. The Reds announced the Tuesday evening event some time the Saturday before. Had they announced this with several weeks’ notice, and allowed for some of the players to make the trip, I have no doubt BBN would have produced a much better turnout. I credit the Reds for holding the event, but wish they would have planned it more in advance.

74. Mason
    9:41 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

BigBlueWilly you make a great point. BBN would have shown up in droves had the players been there. Cal and the coaching staff don’t have the fan appeal as the players for whatever reason

75. County boy
    9:45 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

The Reds average about 13k on Tuesday nights in April and May. They had 19K this past Tuesday night. BBN ROCKS!

76. Dr. Funke
    10:13 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

Hold on a sec, why is everyone mad at the Reds? They just took a day to honor UK’s team at their ballpark! No other MLB franchise would do that. Marty Brenamen is speaking for himself, no need to take it out on the reds for what he says. In fact I love the reds even more now and I think other UK fans should too. St. Louis and Braves fans are annoying.

77. me
    10:45 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

60, you are right! I am uneducated, i only did my undergrad @ nku and my MBA at xavier. I didnt attend one of those fancy ivy league schools like im sure you did!

78. Mason
    11:07 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

77 Yeah I wish you could have graduated from UK like I did and then attend the Peabody Institute of Music at Johns Hopkins as I did as well for post-grad. Sorry to let you down in that I’m not an Ivy leaguer – I guess UK/JH will have to do… 77, you are a poor representation of this university. GO UK and GO REDS!!!!!!!!

79. Mason
    11:12 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

HOW ABOUT SHOWING CINCINNATI SOME RESPECT SO WE CAN FREAKING GET MARK LYONS!???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

OH – he’s from Xavier – which is in Cincinnati for those who don’t understand geography

80. maxbps8
    11:42 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

#39…You are wrong. i was there and CoachCal spent an inning or two taking pics in the out-field plaza with the trophy.
    #53…Is dead-on-right. The CiNCiNNaTI REDS ORGANIZATION is AWESOME and obviously a FIRST-CLASS organization and respectfully reached out and honored our KATS. Why do so many idiots act like the Ohio River is an ocean. CiNCiNNaTi & KentuckY are inextractably and forever linked. The Big Red Machine IS KentuckY’s team regardless of whether a few other teams have a few pockets of fans in the state. We have FAR MORE CiNCiNNaTi REDS fans in KentuckY than any other team. And for the moron that tried to even suggest the REDS ORG is anything other than FIRST-CLASS, you have demonstrated your own ignorance. (The BENGALS org and REDS org are two totally different ownership groups.))

81. Maxbps8
    11:51 pm April 29, 2012 Permalink

Also, keep in mind: Marty does NOT speak for the CiNCiNNaTi REDS ORGANIZATION. The REDS spoke LOUD & CLEAR when they invited our KATS to celebrate their 8th NC!
    And the vast majority of KentuckY REDS fans appreciate their efforts (even if it was done, as I pointed out earlier, with little advance notice and inaccurately RE the players-team being there.) So, relax you ‘in-field’ haters.)

82. Zack
    8:12 am April 30, 2012 Permalink

#80 is DEAD ON. I am a born and bred Kentuckian now living in West Chester, OH and the attitude I constantly hear from friends/family in KY about me living in Ohio is rediculous on a whole new level. The Ohio River isn’t even as wide as Lake Cumberland and people in Kentucky act like it is the friggin’ Pacific Ocean. There are a LOT of UK fans here when you factor in the other major universities in the area (Cinci, XU, OSU, IU, UofL, etc), and it makes it a dynamic and great place to watch sports.

As for people ripping on Brennaman, that man is a class act and the Reds organization is too. Y’all are the pot calling the kettle black, as we have plenty of classless UK fans in Rupp Arena too. Just because a select few UC or OSU fans decide to boo Calipari…who cares?!? We just won #8 and now we’re nit picking. Hunter Campbell is a hack right along with Jerry Tipton.

83. strange brew
    10:02 am April 30, 2012 Permalink

I don’t blame UK fans. Who wants to pay for a Reds’ game? I live 10 minutes away from the Riverbats. They are a better pro team than the Reds. Marty should know better. The Reds never sellout games.

84. runsum
    10:21 am April 30, 2012 Permalink

First off, what’s with the hairstyle? He looks ridiculous. Secondly, Brenneman has always had an inflated opinion of his self worth and opinions.

85. Dr. Funke
    10:46 am April 30, 2012 Permalink

83 – Dude I know your being sarcastic, but you realise that the Riverbats are the Reds’ AAA team right? Thats like saying a highschool’s JV team is better than their varsity squad, its kind of impossible.

86. strange brew
    10:58 am April 30, 2012 Permalink

@ 85?

I feel bad that the Bats are the AAA team of the Reds. That is a disgrace to young up and coming players.

87. willnevergotoaloserredsgameagain
    1:49 pm April 30, 2012 Permalink

not to cheap we just dont care @ the loser reds will save up money for next march screw u old man marty

88. Zack
    2:37 pm April 30, 2012 Permalink

Very disappointed in UK fans, especially the ones on this site today. We sound like some butt-hurt whiny little punks over this, when we should be stoked that a professional franchise with a storied history like the Reds asked Calipari and UK to come. The Reds organization HONORED our Wildcats, and people are calling out Brennaman for defending UK against the boo-birds at GABP. For the record, the boos were minimal and there were many more cheers…it’s not like Calipari ran off the field crying because a chorus of boos rained down on him. Some of us understand what #8 means, others are too busy clamoring for “respect” that we feel the need to use outdated terms like “Yankees” to describe people who are much the same as you. Weak sauce.