Marshall Henderson Back for Another Year?

Henderson

There’s no more polarizing figure in the SEC right now than Marshall Henderson, and for better or worse, it looks like he’ll be around through the 2013-14 campaign for Ole Miss.  According to Gregg Doyel at CBS Sports:

Tons of feedback from Ole Miss on the Marshall Henderson column I wrote Monday, positive and negative, and from that feedback — from sources inside the program — I can tell you that Henderson is expected back for his senior season.

“That’s 99 percent certain,” one source inside the athletic department told me.

This, in spite of Henderson’s remarks a couple of weeks ago, where he said, “I’m tired of doing all this stuff for free. And this is where you make your money, the NCAA tournament.”

According to Doyel, Henderson’s size limits him to only being an NBA point guard, but his skill set is nowhere near what an NBA PG needs to be.  If you’ve watched him play over the last couple games, you’d know that all he does is jack up shots.  Some go in, some don’t.  But they’re going up regardless.  That’s hardly the mentality that a point guard at the next level needs, and as such, Henderson is probably going to be relegated to an international basketball career.

And although the Marshall Henderson we see on the basketball court is something of a… well, a douche, the off-the-court Henderson is an involved, and pretty charitable guy.  He apparently loves going to speak with kids at schools, and does really well with young kids.  “As long as they’re not Florida fans,” was the disclaimer I assume Doyel left off the end.

But as Kentucky fans, how excited are you to know that Henderson will probably be back?  Love it, hate it, don’t care?  If nothing else, next year’s class is in for a fun game against Ole Miss when they get maybe their first real taste of collegiate smack-talk.  It’ll probably come while they’re up 30, but still, it should be fun for them.  So come on back, Marshall.  If you liked this year’s team, you’ll love the next one.

Article written by Corey Nichols

55 Comments for Marshall Henderson Back for Another Year?

1. Dumbledore
    9:01 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

Good. This guy is hilarious.

2. wildcat
    9:05 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

this made my day today now kentucky can crush him AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!

3. asdf
    9:06 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

Hey, the Great Assemblage of Talent In the History of the Sport needs SOMEBODY to beat, y’know?

4. Dan-O
    9:06 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

Don’t really care, but it will be interesting to see how he does.

5. BlueInMI
    9:06 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

I don’t think he’s NBA ready by a long shot. Come on back and let the Harrison’s shut him down!!

6. MizzippiState
    9:09 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

There are douche bags that I can’t stand to look at (Joakim Noah) and then there are douche bags that amuse me. I don’t know why but I kind of like Marshall.

7. Stupid hand shark fin
    9:09 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

Can’t wait to see him mingle with the Rupp crowd next year!!

8. Z
    9:10 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

I agree with #1. As long as we’re not playing him, I can’t help but love the dude. He’s pure comedy. He does jack up a bunch of shots, no arguing that, but he threw a couple really nice passes against LaSalle as well. He could grow into a decent PG.

9. bsettle
    9:12 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

He is everything that is right about college bball AND everything that is wrong! Love the enthusiasm, but direct it at your own fans and teammates. I would love to have him come back another year, because guys that score 25 a game by shooting 25 threes will never hurt a long athletic UK team. As shown this year, even without a defensive stopper!

10. Wall2Cousins
    9:12 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

Did KSR just adopt this kid or something?

11. big blue madness
    9:27 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

It will be interesting to see how he does against a lock down defender next year.

12. H.A. Milton
    9:28 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

Everyone talking about how they want to like this kid…he’s a classic example of the skills being completely dwarfed by ego. F him, even if he did speak the truth to a fake Ryan Harrow. Have fun trying to talk that smack to Eastern European guys!

13. H.A. Milton
    9:31 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

And, no, I don’t care to see him back next year. Even if we are going to eat his lunch.

14. Big Blue Preacher
    9:31 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

DOES MARSHALL HENDERSON HAVE FACEBOOK??????

15. Big Blue 66
    9:32 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

where would he go, the drive thru at wendys? This kid will never step foot on an NBA floor unless its with an Ole Miss jersey

16. Amazing
    9:36 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

That we have become so involved with some kid who is a punk, drug addict and a gangster..

17. thomas
    9:36 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

I can’t imagine why the hell anybody would allow him near young children.

18. Wall2Cousins
    9:39 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

gangster???? you must not know what a gangster is,cause Marshmellow is no gangster

19. john bunch
    9:42 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

Wiggins brother thinks he should go to Kentucky. Just thought I would share the link.

20. Amazing
    9:42 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

@18 wanna be gangster then.. good god have you seen his pics? super douche

21. Tom Blevins
    9:43 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

People like Henderson make me wish we still had DeMarcus Cousins on our team.

22. kyvet
    9:46 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

Punks like him should not get the attention that KSR seems to enjoy giving…

23. StuckAtWork
    9:48 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

I would almost bet money he doesn’t play next year for violating team rules or federal laws. Good material for an ESPN 30 for 30 show in the future though.

24. Eric K
    9:50 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

Who cares?

25. Gimpson
    9:51 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

DON’T CARE! Let’s see how much smack talking he will do with Wiggin’s nuts on his chin!

26. Eric K
    9:54 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

nothing else to talk about but trash? Wait til the twins get a hold of that jackass…… TRASH! GO CATS!!

27. Yomomma
    9:56 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

Every super hero needs a villain, glad he’s coming back. Pretty good odds that he’s arrested and dismissed from the team before the season starts however.

28. BlueRedNeck
    10:00 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

I actually enjoy watching his antics – that GIF from the Auburn game is epic! Now if he had beaten us with a last second dagger, I might feel differently, but I think having him in the SEC livens things up and breaks up the monotony. I felt the same way about Pearl, as much as I loved to hate him.

29. Norman Bates
    10:03 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

Marshall makes me look sane, so I like that.

Seriously, is he acting crazy, or is he not acting?

30. Chicago Chris
    10:04 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

I like it. He’s entertaining. Ole Miss is an also-ran, otherwise. Remember, we want the SEC to be GOOD!

31. RahRah
    10:06 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

I like it because I am one of those who also enjoys his antics. I also agree that he’s in no way ready for the NBA, but have to wonder if this year would be a much better choice than next year. Weak draft this year and he’s going to get lost in the shuffle next year. Strike while the iron’s hot and all that.

32. Bluegrass
    10:06 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

It’s good for the SEC to have “characters” that bring attention (a la Bruce Pearl, etc). Having said that, I can’t wait to humble that punk!

33. the Big Dog
    10:11 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

The SEC has been hit hard by players leaving early and it actually hurts UK when this happens because the analysts downgrade the conference when they lose to bad teams in out-of-conference games. I personally can’t stand this little hoodlum, but it would be good for us to have him back. After that, he can go directly to jail; do not pass GO and definitely do not collect $200.

34. MustacheMan
    10:11 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

Really…who cares. Kid is a douche and isn’t very good.

35. jpcat15
    10:12 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

I agree that he will end up in prison within 2 years. With that said, from a pure basketball standpoint, he would have easily been our best player this year. The dude can score and is not afraid to take big shots. And, he hits a lot of them. I don’t care for the antics, but if you just look at his production, he can play the game.

36. Gotta Say
    10:13 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

Gotta say, we could have used a take charge guy like him this year. Someone that would tell our guys the real story and not just what they wanted to hear. We need a hero on this team.

37. JR
    10:20 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

Say what you want about Henderson. Yes he is a punk but he gives it his all on the court and is not afraid of the moment. Those are two things Kentucky Lacked this past season. Dont get me wrong, I would never want this kid in a UK Jersey but he gives it his all something 5-6 players on this UK team could not say. He was the first one to tweet his sympathies when Noel down. He also tweeted come on BBN during the Robert Morris game. His comments about UK came only after he thought it really was the real Ryan Harrow talking smack to him. I just wish Alex Poythress had just a little of Henderson’s energy and Ryan Harrow had a little bit of Henderson’s confidence.

38. DT in DC
    10:24 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

Why wouldn’t he come back? No way he’s a 1st rounder. Also interesting that I called him a doucher the other day and got my comment deleted, but now it’s ok to call him that in the actual blog. Glad to be a trend setter!

39. snoopaloop
    10:32 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

His only shot will be overseas… where he will be featured on Locked Up: Abroad.

40. red headed step child
    10:35 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

Agree with 16 & 37.

41. Stevie Ray
    10:37 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

Hey–love him or hate him he was perhaps the only opposing player I saw all year that would extend a hand to one of our guys on the floor after a whistle. The SEC needs more than UK to draw attention to the league so I hope he comes back.

42. bluebiscuit
    10:50 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

He has a passion for basketball, that’s for sure, and it’s too bad he couldn’t put some of it in plastic bags and sell it to a few of UK’s players.

43. Blue Boy
    10:57 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

Love this guy. Entertaining as it gets and has a competitive spirit that you can or should appreciate.

44. John Ellis
    11:02 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

Given that Ole Miss got smacked good by UK when Nerlens was still playing on their home court, and next year’s team will play him at Rupp, won’t that be Bambi vs. Godzilla? He’ll never have an NBA career, he can stay at Ole Miss for five more years and he’ll still be playing pro ball in some obscure part of Europe. If he’s lucky.

45. Rae
    11:03 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

He was a waste on this year’s meek team. I’d love I’m to try to talk smack to Andrew Harrison. It will make the game next year more fun.

46. Rae
    11:03 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

*him

47. He's not good enough
    11:26 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

do people leave early and play in europe?

48. jp7
    11:26 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

He’s not hilarious, he’s an idiot. Al he knows is take the ball and jack it up as many times as he can get his hands on it. He got a little notoriety and won a game in the NCAA, now he thinks he’s big time. Wait ’til next year and we’ll se how good he is.

49. jus sayin
    11:43 am March 26, 2013 Permalink

He is a 6’2 un-athletic SG that is a volume shooter and can’t run point.
    People are talking about him going to the NBA?

50. Ibescootch
    12:07 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

42, if there was anyone in college bball that I’d feel confident in his ability to put things in small plastic bags, it’s Marshall Henderson!

51. andrew
    12:51 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

Why would we care. We beat Ole Miss with Henderson, we’ll beat them without him. I’d say that there will be a couple of L’s put up on the board next year (let’s not get too carried away at this point), but Ole Miss and Marshall Henderson ain’t scaring anyone next year.

52. Funny Money
    1:22 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

I thought he made his money on a laser printer…

53. brain
    3:20 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

This guy will never play a second in the NBA.

54. jacob
    5:06 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

shows you how dumb this guy is if he returns. think of how loaded next years draft will be compared to this one. he will only lose stock if he stays

55. Wildcatsteeler
    5:30 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

He has no chance of making it in the NBA. He’ll have to take his rapid-fire clown show over seas.