Mark Stoops’ Monday News and Views

When have we last been in this position? On a Sunday in early December optimism abounds for UK football, while doom and gloom has reigned down on a segment of Big Blue Nation on the basketball side. The day after a difficult loss to Baylor, Mark Stoops arrived for his first visit in Lexington ready to take over the UK football helm and bring excitement/life back into the program. It was an exciting day for all UK fans and capped off a weekend of many emotions for those that follow its two biggest programs. Lets look at the good and the bad:

MARK STOOPS ARRIVES:

There has been tremendous coverage of Mark Stoops’ press conference and the surrounding activities here on KSR all day. I encourage you to scroll down and read the many good posts on the subject as we have covered it thoroughly. But watching the day, three things stood out to me:

1. Mark Stoops wants to be here:

Watching the press conference, you got the sense that Stoops was as excited about this opportunity as the many fans in attendance. We first reported on Tuesday that Stoops had contacted Kentucky about the job opening and he confirmed that today. But when asked what made him initially express interest in the Wildcat job, he was clear, “because I believe in this place and this program.” He was direct in talking about his goal of making a SEC Championship game and one got the feeling that he wasn’t just saying it, he believed it as well. Mitch Barnhart said that he liked how much Mark Stoops really wanted this job and that enthusiasm carried over to today and confirmed that he legitimately believes he can win here.

2. Stoops is a very confident coach:

I re-watched the press conference this evening and focused less on the answers to the questions, but instead Stoops’ mannerisms and demeanor. And what I saw was a coach who has supreme confidence in his method and an attitude of quiet self-belief. He spoke not of what might happen, but what would happen and all of his answers were given confidently and directly. When questions were asked that he didnt like (such as Alan Cutler’s question about the losing mentality at Kentucky), he made it clear his disapproval. He noted that everywhere he has been, success has followed and he believes that will happen again here as well. It wasn’t quite the rambunctious “middle fingers held high” mentality I suggested was important, but it was a quieter. more subtle version of it. I believe Mark Stoops believes he is a great coach and can at Kentucky…and that is exactly what this school needs.

3. Facility Renovation is Coming

While most of the focus of the afternoon was on Stoops, the facility issue was brought up a number of times as well. President Capiluoto (who injected his usual brand of excitement/rambunctious personality into the proceedings) mentioned early on that a plan was being worked on to “invest in football” at the school. Mitch Barnhart repeated on a number of occasions that he would have more to say in the coming days about a major renovation of Commonwealth Stadium and that a plan would be in the works. Such a plan requires support from the Kentucky Legislature and it is by no means assured that it will get the total support it needs. But we saw for the first time, a unified public face between the Athletics Department and the University President on the topic. Mark Stoops said he thinks he can win with the facilities in their current state, but he also mentioned the promise of “commitments” to the facilities going forward. Step one of a major investment in Kentucky football has been made…the coach. Now the next two months will focus on step two, the infrastructure.

All in all, it was a great day for a UK football fan in the Commonwealth. As former players noted, it was as good a show as we have seen for the program in a long time. But a show is not enough. The substance has to match the style. However I get the sense that with Stoops, substance is exactly what he is most focused upon. He used the phrase “get to work” six times during the day, and one of his associates there told me that his biggest strength was “working hard.” The Mark Stoops era officially began today with one of the more flashy shows we have seen since I have been doing this…but whether the final results meet the current excitement will depend on what happens when that work ethic starts to show results.

BAYLOR LOSS BRINGS OUT THE PANIC BUTTON

I will get this out of the way at the outset. While I was disappointed with the loss to Baylor, I wasn’t tremendously discouraged by the result. Unlike with the game at Notre Dame, where I felt that Kentucky displayed almost no effort or intensity and was completely manhandled, I thought Kentucky played ok on Saturday. Their defensive effort was decent, they rebounded well and had a TON of open looks. They lost the game simply because they could not hit a shot within five feet. As Calipari noted afterwards, Kentucky had 21 offensive rebounds, presumably all of which put the Cats in a good position to score, and ended up with only 6 points off those rebounds. That is an astounding statistic. If Kentucky makes a few more two footers (I counted at least 14 shots missed inside five feet..the majority of which were good looks) and Wiltjer goes 3-9 instead of 1-9 from three point land, UK wins easily. But they didnt. So a loss occurred. But I don’t think such poor shooting will plague the team all year. With that said, there are concerns:

Scoring

We still see Kentucky struggling to make good decisions and execute on the offensive end. I am shocked that the Cats have averaged 52.5 points in the last two games and amazed at how poorly they are running their offensive sets. The Cats are finding no fast break points and are completely unable to get to the basket for easy buckets. On Saturday, the Cats were able to get open looks, but their outside touch was off. In past years (and even earlier this season), that meant Kentucky would have to score on the attack. But this UK team still looks tentative and unwilling to go to the rim with the aggression that their talent would allow. Hopefully the return of Ryan Harrow will help that development, but as of now, it needs major work.

Kyle Wiltjer shooting

We expected going into the season that the one given would be Wiltjer’s ability to drain outside shots. He has been way off in the last few games, and more importantly, seems to have altered his shooting style as things have gone poorly. As Clark Kellogg noted on the broadcast, we are seeing Wiltjer “guide” shots, the type of things that always ends up hurting a shooter. Getting Wiltjer’s confidence back is EXTREMELY important, as he can only be a weapon for the Cats if those shots are falling.

Leadership

I have been a huge fan of what we have seen from Old Man “Uncle” Julius Mays. He has played tremendously for the last two games and has made the best decisions of any player on the floor for UK. But besides him, the leadership level on the team is tremendously lacking. Kentucky players often look discombobulated on the court and no one has been able to get the group together and play the necessary leadership role. I am not a believer that this person has to be an older guy…contrary to popular opinion, the leader last year was not Miller, Lamb or Jones but Freshman Michael Kidd-Gilchrist…but I do want to see someone take the bull by the horn and make this “his” team. The most likely person would be Archie Goodwin. But he has a long way to go in that direction and the team is struggling as he makes the path.

Still, all hope is not lost. This team still has tremendous potential and can be very good in March. But along the way, they may hit a nadir that no other UK team has up to this point. My hope is that Kentucky fans remain patient and don’t “act a fool” (the fact that after the game, some UK fans went to Twitter and blasted the players, and then three of them soon thereafter deleted their Twitter accounts was very troubling to me). Kentucky is going to get better and it is worth remembering that we won a title last year and have a super team developing for next year. But until then, there could be moments of difficulty. The home streak is now over, but we have to hope that in the four weeks leading up to the game in the Yum Center, growth for this team will occur.

We will talk about both of these issues in detail on the radio tomorrow and get ready for another week. Until then, join me in welcoming Tyler Thompson as a full time KSR writer (her first day is Monday) and get ready for another week of action….

Article written by Matt Jones

69 Comments for Mark Stoops’ Monday News and Views

1. JVice
    11:05 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

TT has earned her place for sure. Best addition to the site since Drew Franklin.

2. RKA
    11:24 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

It really saddens me that a UK Fan would go to social media and attack or contact a player about how he or she is playing a game. I bleed blue as much as anyone but sometimes we need to take a step back!

3. red headed step child
    11:26 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

SEC, your going to find out how tough this league is, real soon. I think you Tards are scared. We may have a winner on the horizon and your about to be looking for a new coach if strong gets the UT job.

4. SEC
    11:28 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

3- keeping telling yourself as yur dumbass has done for yrs. “oh wait Kentucky is gonna be good me t yr”. I guess you see Cats beating FL, South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama and TN all in the same year. NEVER GONNA HAPPEN I DON’T CARE HOW MUCH YOU BELIEVE!! Can’t wait to see the university and state waste more money on the football facilities on a team that will never lose less than 5 games a yr. Hey, that record will get you in a cheesy bowl game tho that’s something to look forward to.

5. realtime
    11:31 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

Can we be sure those were UK fans blasting the players? Or were they Tard fans in disguise?

6. UK Homer
    11:32 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

Matt, Stoops has me pumped. We have nowhere to go but up + we have a confident coach that is going to demand the best. Whether that means 7-5 or 12-0, I don’t know, but it’ll be interesting especially since he’s promising an exciting offense. Given where we’re starting from, I’m glad he’s at least wanting to stir the pot. As for the basketball Cats, I want to be optimistic, but we’ve learned how to lose and are comfortable doing so. I know we’ll get better, but we need to outpace everyone else with our improvement for it to make a difference. If we can drum up some kind of chemistry over these December games and win versus U of L then all will be forgiven. On one hand it’s great that the season is long and we can improve…on the other hand, it’ll be a LONG season if we don’t. Here’s to taking it a game at a time!

7. UKBlue
    11:32 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

Unless Coach Stoops is totally full of shit, Barnhart should be put in jail because he just stole a great coach away from other schools.

He sure is no Charlie Strong, we can understand the words coming out of coach Stoops mouth. It’s going to be funny when the Lville fans & Lville media finally figure out that Jurich didn’t pull off a big coup & the fact the other main ACC schools are just renting & using UL for free to hold the ACC together just long enough for them to negotiate moves to new conferences. Louisville thinks they are important, that’s so cute.

This may be the worst of Cal teams so far at UK, but we will be ok, not great, but OK. Ryan being out really put us behind, Noel coming late in August, Archie never being a point guard, being a freshman & having to learn Cal offense of the fly, we are going to be playing catch up the rest of the season.

8. Chuck
    11:34 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

Monte Kiffin is available for DC. I hate Lane too, but his daddy is good.

9. Floyd
    11:34 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

Matthew can we possibly look forward to more football recruiting info from your site in the near future? I’ve got a feeling people will finally be interested.

10. SonsOfAnarchy
    11:41 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

I am almost positive I seen on the ESPN ticker a few min ago that Arkansas hired Bobby Petrinos brother as the head coach. Boy they really think outside the box

11. Taking bets
    11:45 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

Lets be real folks, it will take 10+ yrs of SOLID football to even begin to think you can turn our program into a SEC championship contender. Of course Stoops is gonna tell his boss his goal is to make it to an SEC championship game. I just don’t see UK having the patience to stick w/ a losing coach that long. Thing is, IT DOESN’T MATTER WHO YOU HIRE IF YOU DINT GIVE THEM TIME TO BUILD A PROGRAM.

12. UKSupporter76
    12:00 am December 3, 2012 Permalink

#4 I don’t see beating FL, SoCar, Georgia, Alabama and TN all in the same year. The good news is only the most special variety of idiot thinks you need to do that to get 8 wins. 4 OOC wins + Mizzou, Vandy and Miss St. is 7 winnable games. That means just 1 win from the previous group (not FIVE) to get to 8 wins. I guess its too much to ask that you do some basic math before you post?

13. UKBlue
    12:09 am December 3, 2012 Permalink

#13 SEC is either a UL fan which means he can’t count or a backwards idiot meth head from some where down South.

14. Papa Brooks
    12:21 am December 3, 2012 Permalink

12. Actually it takes three years to take a fledgling program to the top if you have the resources and staff in place. Simply follow Brian Kelly’s model. He took a horrible program at Cincinnati to the Orange and Sugar Bowls in 3 yrs. He has Notre Dame in in championship in his third season. I was shocked to learn today from Stoops that he had never been on campus or in Lexington before today. It slightly makes me question the thoroughness of his decision to come here. How prepared is he in coaching when he did not even take the time to examine his new home and his place of employment?However, I can think of 11 million reasons why he would sign on so quickly.

15. SEC
    12:24 am December 3, 2012 Permalink

#13- Five losses is best we can do either way you slice it. Those are pretty much guaranteed loses and that’s provided we beat L’ville who would hand us 6 losses. You are right simple math. So much hope for an SEC whipping post.

16. SEC
    12:26 am December 3, 2012 Permalink

12- yup and none of those teams are in the SEC. Your not going to become a powerhouse in the SEC over a decade let alone a few yrs. Next…

17. Ed
    12:30 am December 3, 2012 Permalink

Hmm.. Same reasons MJ listed for Stoops were listed for Joker

18. Weeping for All Humanity
    12:31 am December 3, 2012 Permalink

I sit in section 28 row v, have been for 30 years. I have never been so embarrassed for my own fans in my life the way some (a vocal minority) acted at the close of the Baylor game. One fan closer to the court took the opportunity of a quiet moment to yell, while the players were well close enough to hear him, “YOU ALL ARE AN EMBARRASSMENT TO US!”

Even though the game was a major letdown, to hear that yelled at kids fresh out of high school who probably don’t have very thick skins yet was even more of a letdown. There were some other things yelled, but that was the worst… A grown man yelling at a bunch of 18 year olds like that.

Now to read what happened on Twitter, I’m just appalled. Not just because no kid is going to play BETTER after hearing that kind of sentiment, an unconstructive blow to the ego, but because it’s just wrong and a horrible thing to do. You’d think adults would know better.

19. LoganBleedsBlue
    12:31 am December 3, 2012 Permalink

The raw potential for our bball team this year is tremendous. Really liked your comments Matt. We have to support this team and hope they start gelling. Cause when it does happen, not a matter of if it will happen, we will be amongst the very best of the nation. I hope we do drop in the rankings quite a bit. It really will benefit the team by taking the pressure off their backs so they can focus on just getting better as a team. Still very very early in season. We have all the building blocks to have a special year still. Go big blue!!!

20. Oddity
    12:32 am December 3, 2012 Permalink

Good points made on the oddity that Stoops has never visited or been to Lexington before today. This whole thing feels Billy G-ish to me!! $11 million is a no-brainer for someone who has never held a head coaching job…can’t blame Stoops.

21. dave
    12:35 am December 3, 2012 Permalink

rumor is joker to UF as WR coach

22. teelow
    12:52 am December 3, 2012 Permalink

The Twitter problem is the kind of thing that I think could make kids not want to come here. Part of what Cal means when he says “I can’t hide you here” I guess, but a shame either way.

23. UKSupporter76
    12:58 am December 3, 2012 Permalink

16- I don’t know why you consider Alabama an automatic loss. UK doesn’t play them every year (or even every other year)

Again, since you seem to have trouble with simple math:

4 OOC games All of which should be winnable. (acting like beating UofL is unattainable is one again a very special variety of stupid)
    Miss St – Winnable
    Vandy – Winnable
    Mizzou – Winnable

That’s 7 games EVERY YEAR that should be winnable by a decent team.

In recent years, UK has beat Georgia, UT and SoCar even when the program was struggling.

Picking up 1 win from those 3 teams isn’t unrealistic.

That gets you 8 wins. Will UK do it next year? I doubt it. will they do it every year? Probably not. But it is just window-licking retarded to suggest that it can’t be done.

24. Ares
    12:59 am December 3, 2012 Permalink

In 2002 Guy Morris should have gone 9-3 if not for a fluke miracle by LSU (N Sabin) and in 2007 did beat National Champion LSU (L Miles). Joker Phillips beat Spurrier two years ago and was competitive with Georgia this year. Yeah we sucked this year and have had a ton of near misses over the last decade but I think Stoops has confidence he is a better coach than all three of them and a better recruiter. Why not win at UK? You don’t have to visit Lexington to see how close UK has been over the last 10 years.

25. paintsville dairy queen
    1:16 am December 3, 2012 Permalink

2007 was such a fun year to come out to CWS. There was vibe that we could win any game. I just want to get back to that and have some fun on a yearly basis. I don’t know about an SEC Championship but I definitely think seasons like 07 are realistic. Oh everybody ignore SEC she’s a troll for sure.

26. Six callers ahead of us Jimmy
    1:20 am December 3, 2012 Permalink

I really didn’t want to judge Stoops until I’d heard from him. After watching the press confrence, I think we hired the perfect guy, and there will be some very suprised doom & gloomers as early as next season.

Basketball. I’m concerned because I watched the Duke game again today, and we aren’t close to being the TEAM we were then. We’ve taken a step backwards, and I’m getting a “chemistry” vibe above anything else. Until I have a reason not to, I’m going to trust Cal to figure it all out, but I think he’ll be earning every dime of his salary this year.

27. SeaCat
    1:29 am December 3, 2012 Permalink

I hope Stoops can do it,
    but he seems a bit slow
    to get his first head coaching
    job and to make babies.
    What is he, 45?

28. The Calipari Way
    1:45 am December 3, 2012 Permalink

Can someone please explain what the heck happened on twitter?

29. Will
    2:41 am December 3, 2012 Permalink

First time I’ve ever read the football part of the post and skipped the basketball portion. =O

30. Jetblue
    2:45 am December 3, 2012 Permalink

@28 Educated people wait to have babies. That’s a good thing.

31. kingrex
    2:47 am December 3, 2012 Permalink

This thing about attacking kids on their Twitter account is just so sad. I wish people would remember these are kids who chose to come to UK and I wish they would not talk to the kids on their Twitter or Facebook. Take a minute and absorb the fact fans are causing our players to choose to delete their Twitter accounts because of their comments. If you cannot trust in Cal to figure this out then you are not paying attention the last few years. We just won the whole thing and we will win it again next year. Isn’t this incredible? Try to enjoy the process of watching this team come together and get better.

32. Buckets
    2:57 am December 3, 2012 Permalink

I’m not hitting the panic button yet. I think Ryan Harrow’s missed time really hampered this team’s development. He’s back, so we’ll see if he can get it together. I certainly haven’t lost faith but it’s funny how the idiots come out of the woodwork when things aren’t going great. Every fan base has its segment of idiots. We just have more fans than the average program, so we have more idiots and pathetic whiners who are never happy.

As for Stoops, I say good luck and get to work. Things like competing for an SEC title are closer to being a pipe dream than being realistic, but I want to see our team at least compete, every time they step on the field. No rolling over and getting pounded like at Arkansas this year. We cannot have that.

33. Han
    3:01 am December 3, 2012 Permalink

28) Presumably you were running your own company or at the top of your profession and had multiple bouncing babies by the time you were 30, right?

There are a lot of professions where, unless you’re a sociopath, it may take you 20 years to reach a top position, if then. Sometimes you aren’t in a position to succeed. Sometimes you’re unlucky and it sets you on the wrong path early. Sometimes you aren’t ambitious at a young age.

As for kids, it’s downright rude and ignorant to question his family. Do you know how long they’ve been married? Do you know when they decided to have kids? Do you know if they had problems having kids?

34. Walter
    3:02 am December 3, 2012 Permalink

This is weird. People are excited about football and bumming out on basketball. Wierd

35. soggyUKgrad
    3:04 am December 3, 2012 Permalink

I really hope the idiots that talked trash to our players on Twitter were trolls from another fanbase. if those were actual UK fans, they should be really ashamed of themselves. just b/c you have an opinion doesn’t mean you have the right to share it with the players. the ONLY people that should be giving feedback to the players about their performance is the coaching staff.

36. PrickGabrial'sEgo
    3:44 am December 3, 2012 Permalink

If I am an idiot was not implied for the grammar junkies….it just doesn’t always translate perfect to virtual keyboard….but who really cares anyway….and by I’m an idiot I mean Me, not Dick Gabriel’s alter ego who is not real for the ladies scoring at home..Go Cayts

37. BluesClues
    3:47 am December 3, 2012 Permalink

The worst part of of freedom of speech……is the opposite…ignorant uniformed chatter…plus the world is full of double agents.

38. BluesClues
    3:50 am December 3, 2012 Permalink

Why should y’all care you sleep while I worryPosted 249 am wake up slackers. Go Cats can’t sleep!

39. Big Whoop
    5:17 am December 3, 2012 Permalink

I can’t remember this much excitment around the football program since Bill Curry was hired. If you’ll remember, he talked the talk as well and hired a Bowden as OC who left after one year. It was downhill from that point on.

Stoops may be different and I certainly hope so. I am keeping my excitment in check, but am very hopeful this works out, especially for our long-suffering fans. If UK keeps its promises (they haven’t in the past), then something good can happen. If not, nothing is going to change.

Right now, I’ll be happy if Stoops can put a defense on the field that can stop the 3rd and long plays and stop making mediocre QB’s look like Heisman candidates. If he can only do that, we have a chance at 6 win seasons. If he can recruit and bring in a staff that can recruit, we should be able to win 7 or 8 games on a consistent basis.

40. Charlie Strong
    5:20 am December 3, 2012 Permalink

But I don’t want to play Florida. The SEC will kick our butts. Jurich, this is your fault. I want to play Conference USA type teams.

41. BravoBigBlue
    5:39 am December 3, 2012 Permalink

Every college program in America has its share of idiots. It’s just magnified with BBN. The players just need to know and remember the overwhelming majority of Kentucky fans are informed, rational, supportive, and not morons. Everyone (inlcuding KSR and Matt Jones) should ignore the idiots. Calling attention to them just makes the rest of the fanbase look bad. And we don’t deserve it.

42. Big Whoop
    5:41 am December 3, 2012 Permalink

As for basketball, I don’t ever recall UK being in this position of not having any returning starters. This is new territory and it is going to be interesting to see if Cal can work his magic this year. Brandon Knight’s team was pretty bad (losing 9 games before the lights came on), but they became very competitive. My worry this year is a nagging feeling that this group doesn’t take well to coaching. Nerlins, imo, is the only player to get drafted this year (maybe Cauley-Stein because of potential). And, we have a starter who can’t play a lick of defense and would be a reserve on most good teams.

I’ve not given up because Cal CAN work magic, but it is getting harder and harder to be optimistic. Will this team grow? Yes and it will be fun to watch. However, my belief is that December and most of January will be filled with wins and losses that are just plain ugly.

43. Big Whoop
    5:48 am December 3, 2012 Permalink

Re: the social media stuff. Anyone who contacts these kids for whatever reason (good or bad) should keep their opinions should be banned from UK events. How to do it? I’m not sure, but there has to be some process set up where the kids or the coaches can report these idiots to the University. These people can be identified through their registrations with the social media outfits. I can tell you that the NSA knows the identity of everyone who uses the internet.

44. EC
    5:56 am December 3, 2012 Permalink

The UK athletic department provided all the glitz and flash. Stoops was pointedly unflashy and provided all the substance. No doubt he appreciated the welcome but you could tell he was itching to get at it. He was great with the media without kowtowing to them. Cutler’s question was disgraceful. Kentucky’s football has been abysmal this year but for most of my life it has at least been competitive. Stoops will have to tune out the Cutlers, Tiptons, and Bozichs. I think he knows he has the fans behind him. I think we’ll see a much different looking team next year. We may win only four or five games but the product will be vastly improved. This guy has it.

45. Katdaddy
    6:16 am December 3, 2012 Permalink

These pieces don’t fit! They look bad individually and cal may never figure this team out. I’m with you #43!

46. Cats in the NBA
    6:35 am December 3, 2012 Permalink

I also think it would be better if the assholes who attack player on twitter are fans of other progvrams and not members of BBN. But Cal got a taste of how large the idiot portion of BBN actually is when he tried to send a jersey to the office of the sitting POTUS.

47. Derby queen
    6:52 am December 3, 2012 Permalink

How about some love for those comeback Cats in this News & Views? They saved the best for last against the Lady Card!!!!

48. Axe Cop
    7:09 am December 3, 2012 Permalink

Tremendous count: 3. Now that’s good writing.

49. RealCatsFan
    7:47 am December 3, 2012 Permalink

19, I was sitting in section 23, and don’t recall hearing anything like that, but I may have been too far away. I thought for the most part our fans were gracious – cheering hard to try to get the team going for a comeback, and after the game when Alex came out for the POG interview, they gave him polite, supportive applause. You could tell from his body language that he was devastated by the loss. I hope some of the real fans sitting around the idiot in sec 28 told him to STFU. Likewise, any adult who would send a Twitter message to an 18 year old kid is creepy in a Tom Crean kind of way. (Calm down, IU fans – I know Crean is supposed to be a good guy – it’s a joke.)

This team is going to struggle, but in the end, I think they will be OK. No sane fan really expected anything close to what we had next year, and a down year might actually play to our advantage for next year. The fact that Jones and Lamb hung around for another year was a key part of the 2012 title run, and history may repeat itself. Hope it does!

50. fletch
    7:49 am December 3, 2012 Permalink

If ky. wins 20 games this year it will be cal’s best coaching job ever. He might have made some mistakes in recruiting but he is still the best coach out there.
    t
    t

51. RealCatsFan
    7:59 am December 3, 2012 Permalink

Lots of rumors swirling around that Charlie Strong may be coaching his last game at UL in the SB. Even the local Louisville stations are reporting that several reliable blogs are reporting that he has interviewed for the UT job. I for one would be a little bit surprised, since UL did get accepted to the ACC and Bridgewater will probably be back next year, but maybe Charlie is smarter than we are all giving him credit for. 🙂

52. Charlie Strong
    8:07 am December 3, 2012 Permalink

I am scared of Florida.

53. Bledsoe's Biceps
    8:26 am December 3, 2012 Permalink

Damn the Mayans may be right. The poles are starting to shift, when many UK fans are positive about football and negative on basketball. We’re all gonna die. 🙂

54. 3 fan
    8:31 am December 3, 2012 Permalink

Instead of saying some people sent ugly messages, name them! Call them out! Put their names on here so they can’t hide!!!

55. Bluekzu
    8:33 am December 3, 2012 Permalink

The utter stupidity of both the Twitter thing and the idea of yelling anything but support directly to our players just floors me. How unbelievably dumb. A big part of the fun of being a fan is the sense of connection and identification with the team, something that’s especially true at UK. Stuff like that alienates and can ruin the experience for everybody else. What an embarrassment.

56. fletch
    8:37 am December 3, 2012 Permalink

#56, so true.

57. cotton nash
    8:37 am December 3, 2012 Permalink

Welcome Tyler! You do a great job and I’m glad you’re full time now.

58. Some Guy in Kentucky
    8:44 am December 3, 2012 Permalink

UL and Northern Illinois are in the BCS only because only 2 teams from the SEC can go. That means that of the 6 SEC teams ranked in the top 10 in the country, there are 4 SEC teams that the Sugar, and Orange would want first.

59. Rixter
    9:24 am December 3, 2012 Permalink

U of L is in a BCS bowl for one simple reason: they are the best team in a bad league. Now that the league won’t be getting AQ status, they’re jumping to what is NOW the worst AQ league.

I heard Deener say this morning ” I don’t even care if we win, I’m just glad to be going”
    These are things an undeserving, mediocre team says on their way to the slaughter.

60. Hoos bin Pharteen
    9:28 am December 3, 2012 Permalink

#60. Where is Kentucky going again?

61. Rixter
    9:37 am December 3, 2012 Permalink

This isnt a discussion about Kentucky football, we know we’re bad. Louisville would be well served to admit the same thing.
    It’s gonna be UGLY down in the Superdome, boys… this AIN’T Rutgers or UConn you’re playing!

62. Rixter
    9:38 am December 3, 2012 Permalink

By the way, 61.. which bowl is IU playing in??

63. Al's IndiCats
    9:45 am December 3, 2012 Permalink

Watching Stoop’s speach I also felt he was bitting at the bit to start rebuilding the program. 12, I don’t see a written law where it’s supposed to take 10+ years to get a program going, that’s just stupid on your part. OK I’ll admit it’s going to take SOME time to even think that we can even compete with the Bama’s and Gaytors, year in and year out, but it can be done. With failing attitudes, failure is the only option.
    I’ve been listening and watching UK sports of the better part of 50 years, and to hear someone say it can’t be done just pisses me off because that’s just a defeatist attitude, unless of course you’re a TARD fan, for rooting for a ghetto school like Loserville is like sipping raw sewage with a straw.

As for the idiot yelling out to those 18 year old that they’re an embarrassment, I would’ve gave my left testy to have been there. UK fan or not that F-ING idiot needs his attitude adjusted. I just hope someone DID give that liquored up old fool (along with those who tweeted) a reason to to do a little soul searching…….And some very needed dental work! GO CATS!!!!!!!!!

64. James K
    9:52 am December 3, 2012 Permalink

I wrote a comment strictly about the basketball team, and it got removed? What?

65. 11, I think that was Idaho or someone like that, not Arkansas.

66. UKBlue1!
    10:48 am December 3, 2012 Permalink

I have been following UK football for nearly 40 years. I have been to games everyone of the years. I have heard this before. We had luxury boxes added to Commonwealth in the late 90’s and I was pumped about Mumme and his air raid offense. We know how this turned out. Coach Claibourne was hired away from Maryland and he was suppose to right the ship. It never got any better than 1983-4 seasons. I just don’t have a lot of faith in Barnhart. I think we could have done a lot better than hiring a DC with no head coaching experience. Look at NC St. they have hired the N. Illinois coach. He is taking his team to the Orange Bowl. I went to 2 games this year. I will wait to pass judgement on this coach at end of the 2014 season. I think he has a lot of work to do because Barnhart has allowed Joker to run the program into the ground. I fully expect to see a lot of players leave the program. I also feel we will be lucky to win 4 games next year. By the second full season we might have a shot at 6 games. IF the program doesn’t isn’t winning more than 3 games by then, I think you can just pull the plug and look for another coach.

67. MN CAT
    12:21 pm December 3, 2012 Permalink

I think the basketball team will get better. They have the talent. A few adjustments here and there can make a world of difference. Start with Harrow at the point.

A few idiots in the fanbase can do a lot of damage. Since they can’t be reasoned with, the best the non-idiot majority of the fanbase can do is to counteract the damage done by the idiots by going out of our way to show support for this young team while they are struggling and still trying to figure things out.

68. Blueneck
    6:28 pm December 3, 2012 Permalink

Quoting Clark Kellog does NOT add to your credibility. KW will be fine shooting. Most of those were very close misses and a couple were halfway down before rimming out.