Mark Lyons will visit Kentucky

Like it or not, former Xavier guard Mark Lyons will visit Kentucky sometime in the near future. Lyons is interested in Kentucky, Arizona, and Kansas and he said he plans to visit all three schools.

Lyons is a legit guard who could come in and play right away, although many in Big Blue Nation would prefer to see Lyons move on down the road, as he is a very high risk, high reward player for Kentucky. There is the two-game suspension for throwing punches in the Cincinnati brawl; there is also the instant offense he’d bring to a team that could really use depth at his position. He scored 15 points per game for Xavier last season while sharing a backcourt with preseason All-American Tu Holloway.

If Lyons does end up at Kentucky, he would have to adapt to Coach Cal’s team-first mentality. His shot attempts per game would drop immensely and he’d split time in the backcourt rotation with Ryan Harrow and Archie Goodwin, likely coming off the bench as a reserve for the two. This is a situation, like many, where we should trust Cal’s judgement and his ability to get guys to buy into his system.

Article written by Drew Franklin

71 Comments for Mark Lyons will visit Kentucky

1. Sean
    12:15 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

1st

2. Not Sure
    12:15 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

Hmmm…..in Cal we trust. But I would rather he go to Kansas for his last year simply because he could be disruptive to the team. Maybe he will be the greatest team-first player ever….seems unlikely.

3. UKTexan
    12:16 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

I put my trust in Cal and the staff. If they feel like Lyons would be a good fit and will be able to contribute then I say take him. Does anybody know why Lyons will be eligible to play next year and not have to sit out a year?

4. Sean
    12:16 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

Maybe they could play him like they did Bledsoe. Move Lyons over to the 2 spot, have him help run the offense off the ball, allow him to play point as a back up.

5. SeoulCat
    12:17 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

Have to trust Cal on this one, I guess. Personally, I see this guy a potential cancer (we’re going to have one of the top three teams next year,,why mess it up?), but if Cal is willing to take him on, it means that he knows how to reign him in.

6. Espinoza
    12:17 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

I’ll give Jon Hood, Tracy Polson and Sam Malone for him.. Straight up

7. Sean
    12:17 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

3 – Because he would be listed as a “post-graduate” student, therefor he could start right away.

8. C Mills
    12:17 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

Love it. No harm in a visit. If Cal senses Lyons is not a good fit he will not offer a spot to him. If he does think it’s a fit then he is a dynamic play maker that could very well be starting next season. As far the brawl, Lyons was as much a product of that environment. Not saying he was innocent or wrongly punished. I also do not think he is type of person to instigate something like that.

9. SeoulCat
    12:17 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

*as a potential cancer

10. Neil
    12:21 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

I hope he decides to come to UK. To me when I look at the roster for next season, one thing sticks out to
    me….no back up point guard. We need him bad if we are going to make a run.

11. Southern Illinois Cat Fan
    12:22 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

#10 Twany Beckham would like a word with you…..

12. barn
    12:24 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

where’s ant bennett?

13. lace'emup
    12:24 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

i trust Cal … period

14. Cato 4 Cats
    12:28 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

We need to focus our attention on another Mark. Mark Bradley. Yes we need depth in the backcourt. This is not the right fit. Some frontcourt depth with a 6’10” Bradley who wants to leave UCONN to be closer to his home (Tennessee) is the right fit.

15. lace'emup
    12:28 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

i will also say this : the XU v. UC brawl was certainly bad, but it was the AD who made the horrible decision to put Tu and Mark out in front of the media (X’s coach was tending to the injured Xavier player who got clocked) … the post game interview should have never happened with emotions still riding high … not to paint Lyons as innocent , it is telling that Mack basically showed him the door, but some of that is Mack’s own sense of self protection / satisfying the boosters

16. tom5673
    12:29 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

definitely worth the “risk”. he would add depth, scoring, experience and a hard-nosed attitude that this team is going to need. the uc/xu rivalry is bitter. that was very ugly, and it escalated quickly. i certainly don’t condone fist-fighting on a basketball court, but i do like his toughness. living in northern kentucky, i watch alot of xavier basketball. we could really use lyons, and i have all the faith in the world that coach cal would get him to fit in to his system.

17. Cato 4 Cats
    12:29 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

Woops … MICHAEL Bradley, not Mark. Sue me.

18. Ummmm....
    12:30 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

Who cares if Beckham wants a word with anyone? He’s no good. Has everyone been smoking crack lately? Beckham’s skills are whack. Cal honestly rips him more than any player on the team.

19. UK
    12:34 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

This years team won a championship with two guards…Doron Lamb and Marquis Teague…why is everyone worried about depth at positions? Sure you can say Darius was like a guard, but Poythress can do the same thing especially if we get Bennett

20. Cato 4 Cats
    12:36 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

Poythress is really good, especially around the rim. To say that he can do the same thing as Darius, though, is foolish. He will not be as proficient at hitting the three, or have the vision that Darius had when slashing to the lane. I do agree with the 2-guards comment, though.

21. Zeke
    12:36 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

We are NOT the # 3 team in the nation next year with the current roster and I am fine with that. We just won the NC. We need two more players with talent to be a final four contender. Cal can judge if Lyons is a good fit. He will probably go to Arizona so it is not worth a lot of passionate debate.

22. Cato 4 Cats
    12:38 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

Smart comment. We are probably number 12 with the current talent we have, assuming no more major additions.

23. Nope
    12:41 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

I only takes one bad apple to screw up team chemistry. With that said, I completely trust Cal to make the right decision.

24. RobbieDean
    12:42 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

Is this the same guy that after the Cincy brawl said in the postgame press conference, “We zipped em up”.

25. Big Richard P
    12:42 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

Of course Kentucky wants this thug! UofL would never lower its self by even contacting such a thug.

26. theSkinny81
    12:45 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

24 – i think that was Tu Holloway…?

27. Little Ricky
    12:52 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

25. I know what you mean dad, because when we recruited Tony Woods my thoughts were “what a classy dude”

28. theSkinny81
    12:53 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

25 – see: Terrence Jennings, Jerry Smith, Preston Knowles, Bryant Northern…. to name a few.

29. Birdman
    12:53 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

I would love to have him on our team!

30. tltaworl
    12:54 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

11. No offense to Twany, but if he was going to play he wouldn’t be paying his way. Plus Cal even said he is not a PG. Harrow was brought in to run this team. Lyons would be used as a back up in a Bledsoe type role.

31. tltaworl
    12:56 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

Guys, lets not act like we have never had some overly agressive issue. Boogie forearm shiverd that UofL player into the Rupp Arena floor. Given the situation of the brawl and no other history of Lyons being in trouble lets give the guy the benefit of the doubt that he made a bad mistake. It shouldn’t brand him for life.

32. This guy
    12:57 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

Why is Cal not looking at Trent Lockett? 6′ 5″ guard from Arizona State that shots 41% from three, avg 5.8 rbs, 2.2 assist, 1.5 stls, and 13 pts a game. He was all PAC-12 as both a player and student-athlete. He is eligible to play next year (as both a graduatating junior and because of hardship – his mother has cancer). Seems like a better option than Lyons IMO.

33. Steve Jobs
    12:57 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

If we strike out on Bennett and Jefferson, he starts at the 2, Goodwin to the 3 and Poythress to the 4. Wiltjer our “6th starter”. Gives us a lot of flexibility. Think he heads to Zona, though.

34. Southern Illinois Cat Fan
    12:59 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

#18 Didn’t know you were a coach and went to all the practices. Beckham didn’t play because he only became eligible after the first semester and Cal didn’t want to screw up the chemistry. Obviously you know nothing about the program or the players. Beckham will play a bigger role than you think next year. If Cal rips him as much as you say, and you know anything about Cal and the Cats, that should show you that Cal sees purpose and promise in his game and he is trying to get the best out of him. How many times did he yell at Brian Long? None! My point exactly.

35. Big Richard P
    1:00 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

27;Uh, Tony Woods was never considered by Rick.

28: As far as I know those players never attacked another player on the court and then bragged about “there hood” in the press conference afterward.

Lyons would fit in better with the UK player history if he got a few DUI’s like all the rest of the big time UK players.

BTW Jones was drunk and high in his car accident earlier this past season. He left the scene to buy clean urine and come back down——FACT! My source in Lexington told me so.

36. BravoBigBlue
    1:01 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

We don’t need some other team’s bird droppings. He should and will go to Arizona to play for Xavier’s former coach.

37. BravoBigBlue
    1:03 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

35 – Get off here. Doesn’t the University of Linebeards have another final 4 celebration scheduled for this afternoon?

38. Bronze medals are fun
    1:11 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

35 – Preston Knowles’ hairbrush says hello.

39. Little Ricky
    1:13 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

35. Really dad?

40. strange brew
    1:17 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

Anyone not wanting this kid to play for UK is stupid. What ever happen to “second chances”? He threw a punch. Big deal. If that’s how we judge people than lock me away. I’ve made tons of mistakes in my life, like sleeping with Matt Jones’ mom.

41. strange brew
    1:19 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

@ 35

UofL had many thugs.. Character. And Sosa and Jennings were beaten down by cops for breaking the law.

UofL fans always forget actual facts.

42. ransmith
    1:19 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

Bring him on – he would fit the system well, UK has the need and it should give him his best shot at later playing for a paycheck. I’m thrilled to hear he will be visiting.

43. theSkinny81
    1:24 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

35 – id rather my players get a little heated on the court during an intense rivalry (although not condoning violence, but, sometimes, it happens), than to punch girlfriend daddies, be tazed by police and arrested for off-court troubles. “OVER A HAIRBRUSH?!?!?!”

44. Devil's Advocate
    1:26 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

I don’t know this guy’s history other than the fight with UC. Emotions were high. I once heard Mark Pope yell “Frick”…no it wasn’t the word, but close enough. I forgave him for that. Daniel Orton yelled “I can’t mfer”…I never forgave him for that. Perhaps Cal should consult me. I can balance things like this out. I am obviously sane and ready to assist in this matter.

45. ACKWELL FOLEY
    1:39 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

ill take him, but i think he ends up at Arizona! Sean Miller recruited him while he was at Xavier! dont think this kid will want to come of the bench, but if he does, he’ll add some much needed depth to the back court. thug or not!

46. !
    1:43 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

45 thanks for supporting me !

47. SayNOtothisClown
    1:49 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

I love Cal and I trust his judgment. But not when it comes to this clown. My opinion of Cal takes a hit if he seriously pursues this kid, let alone lands him. Team Turmoil II. Book it. So much more to this idiot than JUST the UC brawl. X ran him outta town for a REASON!

48. LOVEMYCATS
    1:58 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

40. “X” gave him a second chance after the fight and now they don’t want him either. you’re STUPID. we don’t want or need his kind.

49. Ciggy
    2:02 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

Cal knows what he is doing. He’s handled the stuff really well in the past.

50. MacGruber
    2:03 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

I guess Brian Long is not an option?

51. BPsycho
    2:04 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

“I’ll take this one however it turns out: If Lyons is in Kentucky blue next season, the Cats will be an even better team with the added weapon in the backcourt. If he goes elsewhere, I think the Cats will be just fine.”

YES. THIS.

52. BPsycho
    2:09 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

#47 You’re taking it waaay too seriously. If we get him and he does anything, and I mean anything against team rules we boot him.

Then we use Harrow more…

I hope we get him. HE IS A KID…. Understand that please.

53. BingleJells
    2:24 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

Lyons is an articulate and graceful young man. I see charity work and puppies in his future.

54. Culver
    2:35 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

*CANCER*

55. Bill Hedden
    2:40 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

As long as he doesn’t wear a hoodie and walk around in my neighborhood.

56. Mason
    2:45 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

How can he be eligible to play in the SEC. The SEC does not allow transfers who have less than two years of eligibility. The rule that allows kids to transfer who are in graduate school (Masoli) has been eliminated as of October 1, 2011.

14.1.15.1 Student-Athlete Who Has Been Awarded a Baccalaureate Degree. A student-athlete with less than two years of eligibility remaining may be permitted to transfer to and compete in the Southeastern Conference if the
    student-athlete has previously completed requirements for and been awarded a baccalaureate degree and is enrolled in a specific degree program in a graduate or professional school of an institution other than the institution from which he or she previously received a baccalaureate degree, has athletics eligibility remaining and such participation
    occurs within the applicable five-year period set forth in NCAA Bylaw 14.2.1. [This subsection is applicable only
    to graduate students who enroll at an SEC institution prior to October 1, 2011]

57. Mack
    2:51 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

Leave it up to the Coach.

58. jason ryan
    3:05 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

I love it! He is really someone that we could really use next season. Hes experienced and can play. So what if he got into a brawl. It was a team effort. If one of our boys went to blows with someone else the whole team would be there to back them up to i say bring him to lexington! We need depth and experience to get 9

59. Ville Cat
    3:13 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

Interesting to me how everyone says he will be a backup if he were to come to UK. Last I heard Cal plays the best players, so if he out performs Harrow or Goodwin, he will be playing.

60. Dukesuxs
    3:24 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

#56 Calm down with your research he can play next year.Do you think you know more about the rules then Sandy Bell C’on man.
    We can use him next year we need anther capable.Cal best trait of all has been handling unruly kids.Hope we get him Cal has a knack of getting the best kids and passing on the others. If he takes him on he must feel comfortable with him
    #34 Beckham is terrible .He might not have been eligible untill the 2 semester but he’s Practiced for a year and a half.Polson is a better option Hood is a better option even on one leg.

61. Coco
    3:31 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

He would take us to another level….lets get him

62. Dukesuxs
    3:31 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

#59 I don’t think you realize how good Harrow is.Watched him in person several times. He is very good with time already under his belt. He will be more ready than any PG Cals had here. You are right Cal will give them all a chance to show who the best is.And the best will play.

63. jengland
    3:40 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

Cal does not need to get guys like this anymore. Talent mixed with marginal behavior is what Kentucky Basketball is growing.

64. MC Hammer
    4:05 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

No debate here. take him if we can. We need guards

65. BingleJells
    5:06 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

I think Alex Legion is available, and a better choice.

66. HeshimuEvans'2ndGradeTeacher
    5:08 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

No debate here cause he’s not coming here. Why on earth would a kid who was the 2nd best player on his team last yr and had free reign to shoot whenever come to a team that will probably use him as a back-up? It’s nice that he’s interested, but really, just forget about it. He will be a Wildcat next yr, just an Arizona Wildcat.

67. Blueaville
    5:43 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

zipp em up

68. Josh
    6:44 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

This article is eerily similar to something I’ve read before…

69. RashaadCarruth'sGoldTooth
    7:32 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

He could bring valuable experience to the backcourt…I will trust Coach’s decision on this one.

70. B Howard
    10:37 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

Just to make you think a little, what if Mark Lyons ended up in a Louisville uniform. All the Cat fans would say, “Hey, look at Louisville taking in another thug”. Its ok if he plays at Kentucky though.

71. B Howard
    10:42 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

Go watch the postgame press conference after Xavier played Cincy and see if you really want Mark Lyons or not. If you say yes, then I should never hear another Cat fan bad mouth any player from any other team.