Mark Lyons was on campus yesterday

Despite reports that he is just now “setting up” his visits, former Xavier guard Mark Lyons visited Kentucky yesterday. Lyons was in Lexington to meet with the staff and take in all of the sights and sounds of Lexington, Kentucky.

He will visit Arizona and Kansas soon.

Cayts.

Article written by Drew Franklin

28 Comments for Mark Lyons was on campus yesterday

1. lexslamman
    1:01 pm May 1, 2012 Permalink

Wow, I never thought I would miss Lexington so much.

2. minority
    1:04 pm May 1, 2012 Permalink

i am apparently in the minority that thinks Lyons would be a good get for us … he can score he can play guard , he only takes one yr of scholarship and I TRUST CAL

3. UK Rifle >>>> WVU Rifle
    1:05 pm May 1, 2012 Permalink

Have you voted yet today for College Game Day to do their commercial with UK?

4. Alan Badillion Trahern
    1:07 pm May 1, 2012 Permalink

I wish I lived in Lexington. So beautiful, and knowing I could possibly bump into the UK players or coaches any time would be awesome.

5. Wonderlick Test
    1:09 pm May 1, 2012 Permalink

Lark Myons was on campus yesterday…

6. Alan Badillion Trahern
    1:11 pm May 1, 2012 Permalink

2. I agree with you. I think he’s a perfect option considering the chance Cal will want open spots for the ’13 recruits hes predicted to haul in. Lyons is a great player, and would impact the team right away. Most people know him from one game and one press confrence, and its unfair to judge him for one incident, when the rest of his career was great.

7. abdc
    1:17 pm May 1, 2012 Permalink

I have one Question for Cal. Does this kid deserve a second chance? If Cal says yes I can live with it.

8. rodgers
    1:18 pm May 1, 2012 Permalink

hope we get him

9. Daniel Orton's Dad
    1:27 pm May 1, 2012 Permalink

He also a good kee’ud.

10. Versailles Cat
    1:33 pm May 1, 2012 Permalink

I don’t believe this story. I didn’t hear of an assault on campus yesterday.

11. how dare u Richie
    1:34 pm May 1, 2012 Permalink

But can he shoot?

12. yep
    1:38 pm May 1, 2012 Permalink

Cal has earned our trust. Give him a year with this kid, and I bet he’ll leave a different man than he was at Xavier. I think if a guy like Terrence Jones goes to UW or any other school, he plays like the selfish ball hog he used to be and kills his draft stock. Under Cal, he learned to play selflessly and within a system. If Cal wants this kid, he’s got my trust.

13. rainman
    1:41 pm May 1, 2012 Permalink

A headache we don’t need!! Good kid or not!!

14. tom
    1:46 pm May 1, 2012 Permalink

11. You’ve hit the head of the nail. I still don’t know where we get our points next year. I would suspect Goodwin and Poythress averaging anywhere between 11-14 each. From what I hear, Noel is a defensive stopper first, so he might bring in 8-10. Wiltjer would be good for double figures IF he can stay on the floor long enough but improvements on his defensive game are needed. I just don’t know about Harrow. I don’t think he scored in double figures at NC State. So, best case scenario…28 between Goodwin and Poythress…10 from Noel…11 from Wiltjer and 10 from Hallow. But that’s it, 60 points. We need another big time scorer. Lyons brings in a double digit average from a major conference. Add Bennett and we would be in much better shape. But at present, we need guys who can scorch the net.

15. Wildcat4life
    1:57 pm May 1, 2012 Permalink

have any of you who dont want Lyons actually played a sport. At times it gets heated, and these guys are still kids as much as we dont think of them that way. Once the air cleared last year, Xavier made a nice little run. This is a kid that will thrive in Lexington if he chooses to come. I for one hope we get him.

16. Alan Badillion Trahern
    2:01 pm May 1, 2012 Permalink

As far as people comlaining that Lyons is a trash talker, I love it. Liggins was one of the biggest trash talkers we’ve had in a long time, and it pumped me up and pumped up the team in games. Like #15 said, Lyons could thrive at UK.

17. Alan Badillion Trahern
    2:02 pm May 1, 2012 Permalink

complaining*

18. how dare u Richie
    2:07 pm May 1, 2012 Permalink

Lyons didnt start the fight…he,simply got his teammates backs after it started…Cal teaches brotherhood & togetherness, so I really dont see a problem with giving him a 2nd chance…I mean its not like we would b signing him to a 10 yr $100 million dollar deal

19. Culver
    2:23 pm May 1, 2012 Permalink

WOW! I wonder if he went all “Gangsta” over Lexington? He has no business being on a college campus…much less UK’s. Send his ass to the desert…I can handle that. Heck, Arizona you deserve this great young man.

20. Beavis
    2:28 pm May 1, 2012 Permalink

No better trash talker than Liggins. If he is going to try and fill Liggins shoes as the team trash talker,,,,good luck. Can anyone forget Liggins wearing out Scottie Hopson. Hopson was not the same for the rest of the game.

21. oh really
    2:34 pm May 1, 2012 Permalink

#15 Let me guess… if it had been UK playing Xavier when that thuggery occurred, you would have been calling for every Xavier player to be kicked out of school, banned from NCAA basketball, and jailed. Yes, at times sports contests become heated. But real MEN (like Anthony Davis after being taken down by White of LSU) keep their head down and keep playing. Punks throw punches and then make excuses. I don’t even know what Lyons role was, other than he was suspended for 2 games. So yeah, he can have a 2nd chance, but there is NO rationalizing or excusing b/s behavior like that, and it doesn’t belong anywhere in sports (or elsewhere).

22. thumper
    2:39 pm May 1, 2012 Permalink

If you look closely you can see the Chem building in the picture. In just a couple of hours that lovely place will ruin my day.

23. No thanks
    2:45 pm May 1, 2012 Permalink

We don’t need him, he’s a good player and we could use him in the basketball sense but after his ignorant “thug” remarks, no thanks.. Seen every bit of that kid that I needed to after that embarrassing interview, and he had plenty of time to calm down and think about it before the news conference

24. Culver
    2:48 pm May 1, 2012 Permalink

Well, well said! 100% on the mark. I look back at having Cousins here…he’s 100% punk/gangsta as well. Had no business being on a college campus in the first place. I get why Calipari brought Cousins in back then…that was a “duh”. But Lyons…makes no sense. If Cal offers a scholly to him, I’m officially done with UK basketball as long as Cal is the coach…it’s all about CHARACTER. I could care less about how many titles he brings. Do it the right damn way!

25. Culver
    2:49 pm May 1, 2012 Permalink

21) !!!

26. Tennesse Wildcat
    3:00 pm May 1, 2012 Permalink

Was I just dreaming, or was there just a post on the main page that stated that “Lyons was coming back to Lexington tonight” after visiting yesterday? Evidently, it was taken off the site. Weird, huh?

27. jdubaz
    3:24 pm May 1, 2012 Permalink

Tucson is a truck stop town and it’s hot as hell right now, so he’ll cross that off his list. No idea about Lawrence, but it’s Kansas, so come on, easy choice.

28. Fred
    4:06 pm May 1, 2012 Permalink

Cal wouldn’t be interested in this kid if he thought he might be trouble. I think we need to leave the judging to Calipari. Mark Lyons is a great player and simply needs some
    speaking training. Cal will handle the situation just fine! I think Mark would thrive at Ky.