Mark Lyons picks Arizona

Many Kentucky fans were uneasy about the prospects of Mark Lyons coming to Kentucky next season. It has been rumored that attitude problems and disagreements with Xavier coach Chris Mack ultimately pushed Lyons out of the door at Xavier after his Junior season. It turns out that Lyons won’t be wearing Kentucky blue anyway, as he has just decided to pack his bags for Arizona and play for Sean Miller, who originally recruited him at Xavier. We wish Mark the best and hope that he can finish his college career off strong.

Article written by John Wilmhoff

Former beer vendor, college mascot and ESPN editor. This spring, you can also find me blogging about the Reds on blogredmachine.com. Follow me on Twitter: @JohnWilmhoff

50 Comments for Mark Lyons picks Arizona

1. SayHarrowToTheRepeat
    3:25 pm May 6, 2012 Permalink

FOURTH

2. Cousins Fake Tooth
    3:28 pm May 6, 2012 Permalink

Good, we dodged a bullet there!

3. phk
    3:30 pm May 6, 2012 Permalink

zona is gonna be fairly good next year. im glad the pac-12 is making a comeback, its a fun conference to watch.

4. nassau65
    3:30 pm May 6, 2012 Permalink

good luck to the young man.

5. Steve
    3:32 pm May 6, 2012 Permalink

First Cal wiffs on Oriakhi and now this.

6. cracka
    3:37 pm May 6, 2012 Permalink

[email protected] … come on, cal … let’s fill the roster

7. Steve
    3:37 pm May 6, 2012 Permalink

I am a U of L fan but I am all for getting Coach Cal out of here so we can win a game against them.

8. Old Henry Man
    3:37 pm May 6, 2012 Permalink

It appears that Beckman and Hood will have to step it up next year.
    Things are not looking good for Bennett, so the Cats need Jefferson.
    PG Harrow
    2G Goodwin
    SF Poythress
    PF Wilter
    C Noel

Jefferson, Beckman and Hood need to come through

9. Is there a Club You can join?
    3:38 pm May 6, 2012 Permalink

“Steve”-Is there a bigger Idiot than you? Perhaps, but I haven’t found one.

10. Ridge Runner
    3:41 pm May 6, 2012 Permalink

11. Is it Possible?
    3:41 pm May 6, 2012 Permalink

Is it possible that this kid was leaning toward playing for the coach that originally recruited him out of high school?

12. James
    3:42 pm May 6, 2012 Permalink

now we go after torian graham, no holds barred.

13. Jack
    3:42 pm May 6, 2012 Permalink

Alright you’ve got to be kidding me. More rumors coming about UNLV for Bennett, Jefferson most likely not headed our way, Oriakhi headed to Mizzou, and now Cal losing out on a 15.5 PPG Stud to Arizona. The Croatian kid is a downgrade to Hood and by the looks of things, he could be “Finishing” out the class. We NEED to pull off Bennett. He would make our possible Sweet 16 team a Championship contender. If we can get the VT kid (Who many say may not even be transferring any more,) the Croatian kid, and Bennett, I think we”ll be fine. If we could land Jefferson that would be great. The dice need to start rolling quickly to end this class or it may be it now. Great class, but we aren’t a Championship contender right now.

14. I Say
    3:43 pm May 6, 2012 Permalink

#8 it’s Beckham, get your shit straight or stop commenting

15. Steve
    3:43 pm May 6, 2012 Permalink

Maybe if Cal wasn’t out touring the state with the trophy, he could have got Oriakhi’s first visit instead of him taking his first visit to Mizzou and shocking the UK staff by committing to them before making his next visit to UK the following weekend. Oh, I forgot to add Muhammed to the list of wiffs.

16. Ridge Runner
    3:44 pm May 6, 2012 Permalink

13- Deep breath man, damn.

17. Jack
    3:45 pm May 6, 2012 Permalink

We can still snag Graham I forgot. That would be a major upgrade over the Croatian. Please go get him. We need depth, very bad.

18. Jack
    3:46 pm May 6, 2012 Permalink

16. Are you honestly comfortable where we stand right now? You’ve got to be kidding me

19. Steve
    3:47 pm May 6, 2012 Permalink

Enjoy the championship guys. Next season is going to be a gap year. Better hope Wiltjer hits the weight room.

20. UK
    3:47 pm May 6, 2012 Permalink

I wouldn’t say Jefferson not likely headed our way…he has put off his commitment several times, each when it looked like Kentucky was picking up it’s recruitment…lets also not forget about the transfer from Wright State who is a solid shooter and a senior who wouldnt affect our scholarships for 2013 like Torian Graham would.

21. Ridge Runner
    3:47 pm May 6, 2012 Permalink

Jack, there will be some times we don’t get who we want or the coaches don’t want what we think we need. Damn. How old are you?

22. Steve
    3:51 pm May 6, 2012 Permalink

Remember hearing how stunned Cal was on the train when he heard Oriakhi committed to Mizzou. Reminds me of when Barton stunned Cal by committing to Memphis when Cal was in China.

23. phk
    3:53 pm May 6, 2012 Permalink

21) IKR? Why does this guy expect a national championship caliber team EVERY year? We just had some major turnover, there are bound to be moderately down years (Hear that Indiana? A preseason top 5 team with sweet 16 expectations is a down year for US). Just enjoy the ride Jack, it’ll be a fun year no matter who we have. I mean damn, we just hung #8 people.

24. Steve
    3:54 pm May 6, 2012 Permalink

Cal got lucky with injuries the last 2 seasons. I can see it now. Poythress tears his ACL during preseason practice and is out for the season.

25. Ridge Runner
    3:55 pm May 6, 2012 Permalink

23…It is pretty unbeleivable.

26. Ridge Runner
    3:56 pm May 6, 2012 Permalink

Steve, go away jealous one. go

27. Steve
    3:58 pm May 6, 2012 Permalink

Cal was at Vargas and Miller’s graduation ceremony when he heard that Lyons was going to AZ. Reminds me of George Bush sitting in the classroom with the children while hearing about the World Trade Center having planes hijacked by Arabs crashing into it.

28. Dane Brammage
    4:01 pm May 6, 2012 Permalink

Good. So long. See ya. Better off at Arizona.

29. Steve
    4:02 pm May 6, 2012 Permalink

Maybe Cal can comb the juco ranks for another Eloy Vargas.

30. Steve
    4:02 pm May 6, 2012 Permalink

I wish my team could also get “lucky” other than for 15 seconds in a local bistro. As we all know, Lyons and Oriakhi were the keys to UK’s success next year. They will be awful without these great “chemistry” guys.

I am all class, by wishing a serious injury to a UK player. Perhaps I should watch my words, as several of my team’s players have been injured. But franky, empathy is not my forte…

31. drewsster02
    4:05 pm May 6, 2012 Permalink

I see you #20. I also agree that Julius Mays from Wright State would be a great addition to next year’s team – a good outside shooter that is willing to share the ball. Plus as a senior, he would only be on scholarship for a year. With Mays and either Jefferson or Bennett, we’ll be fine.

32. Steve
    4:06 pm May 6, 2012 Permalink

Perhaps I can focus on my team’s status as a distant second in the state of Kentucky by creating trite and negative comments about the reigning champions. This has been ineffective up to now, but I am going to keep at it.

33. Linda Taylor
    4:09 pm May 6, 2012 Permalink

I hope he enjoys his summer in Tucson. Every time you open your door it’s like you’re walking into an oven. Air conditioning can only do so much. The “dry heat” argument has never made sense to me because I’ve lived there and when it’s 110+ degrees it’s hot no matter how low the humidity is. Plus the monsoons start around the 4th of July which increases the humidity during the hottest part of the year. It just really stinks to live there in the summer. The nice winters don’t make up for the horrible summers.

Enough questions were raised about his attitude that I’m not disappointed in his choice. We will be fine without him.

34. Jack
    4:10 pm May 6, 2012 Permalink

21. Excuse you. Says the person that gives in to the dumbass Hoosier fans that comment here waiting for a bite from uptight fans like you. They feed off of you accepting the torment. You’re like a little sibling haha. But to get back to the point, the basketball team’s success comes from these recruits every year after our mass exodus’ every year. Without these recruits to reload, we can only rebuild. I’m pretty sure every true wildcat fan would hate to have a down year. Granted, this won’t be a down year, but it won’t be the 2-loss season we all hope for like last season. Every recruit we get potentially adds to our win total whether you like it or not. So saying “Take a deep breath” and all of that makes you sound ignorant and not wanting success? We now have to rely on Bennett, Jefferson, Wright State kid, Torian Graham, and the Croatian kid to fill out the class, with the greatest to worst being in that order. Lyons fit in right behind either Bennett or Jefferson. He was basically the 2nd/3rd best “recruit” left and went to Arizona. Whether you consider his “attitude” an issue and didn’t want him for that, I’m pretty sure you accepted DeMarcus Cousins’ committment with open arms and he was known as more of a hot head than Lyons. So don’t act like you wouldn’t have loved him coming to UK because we all would have.

35. Sigh
    4:10 pm May 6, 2012 Permalink

good

36. CATS
    4:10 pm May 6, 2012 Permalink

People need to chill out. We are going to have a down year compared to this past season, but we are still going to be better than A LOT of teams. We are projected in the top 3 in almost every major preseason poll. I would like a power forward in Bennett, Jefferson, or Harrell, as well as a shooter in Graham or Brzoja, but if we don’t get any of them we still have a great class. In 2010-11 we were supposed to be down too and we made it to the final four. Cal works wonder, stop doubting him! Annnnndddddd, if you can’t get past a down season in 2012-13, just look ahead to the 2013-14 season!

37. Jeff
    4:16 pm May 6, 2012 Permalink

Don’t forget Cal giving scholarships to Beckham and Poulson and not having one available when Jarnell Stokes reclassified.

38. Jim
    4:18 pm May 6, 2012 Permalink

Didn’t want the thug anyway. But we do need to get Amile Jefferson, and I think he wants to come here. Let’s get him and another shooter. I don’t want the Croatian kid because then we are stuck with him for 4 years – which is ok if he is good, but if not. I think we get Jefferson, and go with that team. Hood, Wiltjer and Beckham need to step up.

39. Ukwildcat_fanatic
    4:25 pm May 6, 2012 Permalink

I’ve heard from the Xavier trainer that “Lyons was a cancer to the team”. Let’s go get Torian Graham and build from there.

40. BigBlue
    4:28 pm May 6, 2012 Permalink

I really hope we can get Bennett…at this point that would be HUGE. I do not know much about Julius Mays, the guy from Wright St….but if he can shoot like they say he can, he may be a great pick up as well…we really need another shooter to balance our offense. I this point I am not sure about the Croatian guy…if Cal has not offered him yet that means he has serious doubts. Anyone know if Mays is a legit?

41. Steve
    4:29 pm May 6, 2012 Permalink

Bennett’s academics are on a par with Eric Bledsoe’s. No way Cal wants to go down that road again.

42. Steve
    4:33 pm May 6, 2012 Permalink

Kentucky bench for 2012-13:Jon Hood, Twanny Beckham, Willie Cauley, Jarrod Poulson. It’s a far cry from 2009 when you had Daniel Orton, DeAndre Liggins, Darnell Dodson, Ramon Harris, Perry Stevenson, and Josh Harrellson. I’d go to the Knicks if I was Cal.

43. Steve
    4:39 pm May 6, 2012 Permalink

Maybe Cal can go to Africa and get a player who looks like an extra from the movie”The Air Up There.”

44. Steve
    4:42 pm May 6, 2012 Permalink

Hello again everybody! Did you know that I have now replaced Boo Hoo as the Mayor of Trollville by grabbing more than 25% of the comments on this post? Guess what? I can also bend over and lick my own butt!!!

45. BigBlue
    4:48 pm May 6, 2012 Permalink

You wish Cal would go to the Knicks…so whatever insignificant team you support would have a chance to beat us….CHANCE to beat us…keep wishing…

46. I.B.Speller
    4:50 pm May 6, 2012 Permalink

#8 & #14-Don’t forget Kyle Wiltjer and Willie Cauley-Stein.

47. Steve
    4:54 pm May 6, 2012 Permalink

Wiltjer’s softer than my baby’s behind.

48. Steve
    5:09 pm May 6, 2012 Permalink

Did you know I can also lick my baby’s behind without bending over?

49. Steve
    7:29 pm May 6, 2012 Permalink

Truth hurts. Cal should have taken Behnanon over the soft Wiltjer.

50. Steve
    11:07 pm May 6, 2012 Permalink

Man, I am suck weenie-licker UL fan. Wow, my life is so terrible I go to another team’s fan blog and post about 500 comments on a single article. I think that makes me the most lame, ever.