Mark Fox thinks the Cats still belong in the Tournament

5139612a3dc74.image
Caption This!

Last night’s loss at Georgia was devastating to the Cats’ Tournament chances, but Georgia Coach Mark Fox thinks the Cats still deserve a bid. After the game, Fox balked at the notion that a loss to his team was a “bad loss”:

“Are you kidding me? I think Kentucky belongs in the tournament. They have 20 wins already. I think the teams in this league are much better than they get from the national media. . . . And we’ve been a pretty good basketball team the last five or six weeks. I don’t think a loss to us should be considered a bad loss.”

Is Fox simply being a polite SEC cheerleader or is there any ounce of truth in his statement? My only question this morning after looking at Joe Lunardi’s projections is why Ole Miss is the first team out over Kentucky (whom he lists as the sixth team out)?

It looks like our old buddy Jerry Palm still believes, too:

Screen shot 2013-03-08 at 9.01.05 AM

Regardless, an uphill battle just became a hike up Everest.

21 Comments for Mark Fox thinks the Cats still belong in the Tournament

1. JokerSTILLsucks
    10:18 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

Cal – This Jacket Is so tight I can’t breath.

Fox – Cal’ you need to hit P90X man!

2. Duh!?
    10:19 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

Of course! Who wants to celebrate a win over a crappy NIT team? Doesn’t it sound like a better win if UK a tourney team?

3. ZZbottom
    10:20 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

Cal – ..and now they’re complaining I’m not wearing a tie.

Fox – Can I have you autograph

4. Reggie
    10:24 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

Kentucky does not belong in the tournament. I get this is a pro-Kentucky site, but let’s be honest here. Kentucky is a sub-standard team this season in a down year for college basketball (which makes it even worse).

No leadership and marginal effort. I appreciate that Cal has taken the blame because he deserves it. The unfortunate thing is there is no depth when he benches Harrow and Poythress.

Tough year. Hopefully it will be over soon.

5. Dave
    10:27 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

CAL: “Whats funny is that these guys actually think they can go to the NBA”

FOX: “Where the hell did you find these guys Cal, I mean come on we have a conference to repressent here”

6. Marcus
    10:34 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

Mens tennis is ranked #5 baby!!

7. Mike
    10:37 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

Why is it that no one ever puts a mic in front of AP to get his take on his performance this year? Never have seen anyone go from stud to dud as quickly as he has. I would like to plant my boot firmly on his posterior. He is truly a cancer to this team.

8. John
    10:37 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

I think Cal has given up on this season because he knows something we don’t about Wiggins, Randle, and Gordon. I feel he knows we’re getting at least 2 of them and he knows one bad season every 5 years isn’t too bad.

9. beat florida
    10:39 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

If we beat Florida and win 2 in the SEC tourney we get in. HAVE to beat Florida though

10. Litig8tr
    11:01 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

This team does not belong in the tournament. They play with no heart nor any energy. Cal is blaming himself but the reality is that they are not very talented and several players truly are un-coachable. Cal won’t do this, but he should not renew the scholarships of Poythress, Goodwin and Harrow. If they haven’t gotten “it” by now, they never will and they will not be reliable backups on next year’s team.

11. ajh
    11:06 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

I like this guy, but how in the HELL does he have us in?????????????????

12. ajh
    11:07 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

#9 – I admire your persistance and dedication…..Better than mine…

13. BurnerTurner5
    11:11 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

I wouldn’t take Kentucky and 20 points tomorrow. This team has NO HEART! Everyone I talk to today says they can’t stand to watch this team. I agree. I’ll try not to puke in my mouth too much tomorrow while I watch but hopefully they will play during the day on Thursday while I’m at work and I won’t get to watch that garbage! Those players that don’t want to be here and can’t wait to play in the D-League,don’t let the door hit you on the ass on the way out.

14. Chicago Chris
    11:13 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

Of course he does, it makes his team look good.

15. RealCatsFan
    11:20 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

Sure he says that, and if UGA were in the tournament, he would want us in their bracket!

16. Bob
    11:21 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

I don’t think we have a shot in hell tomorrow either, but I hope the fans get behind this team and make Rupp rock like it was against Mizzou. The only way we can win is to play off the emotion of the crowd

17. ls
    11:22 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

WE DONT DESERVE TO BE IN THE NCAA TOURNY GIVE IT UP PEOPLE IF WE GET IN WE ARE GETTING BEAT FIRST GAME WE SUCK!!!!!!!!! US KY FANS NEED TO WAKE UP AND ACCEPT THAT WE SUCK

18. turpin
    11:48 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

why waste anymore time on this team? no one could even make the ’96 JV squad. WCS is only player with the motor and upside to be effective next yr, but the draft class is so bad, he’s likely lottery bound.

19. HootNanny
    11:51 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

Norfolking way!

20. RealCatsFan
    3:21 pm March 8, 2013 Permalink

Looking at the box score, some of the “veterans” let us down as much as the freshmen. Mays and wiltjer had totally forgettable games, and Harrow can’t be considered a real newcomer since he had a year of college experience and a year prepping as the point guard. IIRC, Harrow having that year to “tutelage” against Teague was supposed to be one of our strengths this year. Best laid plans of mice (or cats) and men sometimes go to hell…

21. 3cat
    4:12 pm March 8, 2013 Permalink

Bad loss because we didn’t play . Tn lost to UGA twice and are in the dance. Several teams got beat the last few days and the don’t move , we get beat and we’re out. #17 there is several teams in the tourny that suck too. I would rather suck and be in than suck and be out.lol
    several 18-12 19 12 teams in. Boise St gets beat no movement, UVA beat, Baylor gets beat they move up… The team does not play with heart but we still can beat 40 of the teams in. BEAT FL!