Mark Few releases statement about Kyle Wiltjer

Mark Few seems excited by the arrival of his new Kentucky transfer, Kyle Wiltjer. Few released a statement about Wiltjer’s arrival:

“We are very excited to have Kyle come into our program. He is a young man with high character, an excellent student, and has already proven himself to be a very good college basketball player. We look forward to helping him develop to his full potential at Gonzaga.” (h/t Aaron Smith)

Article written by Ally Tucker

I once successfully requested "The Wobble" to be played 6 times at one wedding.

22 Comments for Mark Few releases statement about Kyle Wiltjer

1. MadTex
    11:39 am July 21, 2013 Permalink

Love at first sight – kissy, kissy!!!

2. ukjmatt
    11:40 am July 21, 2013 Permalink

Still going to leave the tourney early every year! Hang that Sweet 16 banner.

3. Bobbum man
    11:45 am July 21, 2013 Permalink

They can say whatever they want, that Kelly Olynyk redshirted and worked his tail off to become the player he did, Wiltjer has to be willing to work his butt off which we didnt see at Kentucky

4. Oops
    12:01 pm July 21, 2013 Permalink

Few cares?

5. Kyle's Dad
    12:02 pm July 21, 2013 Permalink

My son made the right choice. Cal’s “roll it out there” style does not suit players that are not ready made pros. He has a ton of work to do. He has not been coached in almost three years.

6. John
    12:14 pm July 21, 2013 Permalink

5 you mad bro lol

7. UKBlue
    1:30 pm July 21, 2013 Permalink

#5 Nice UL fan

It’s his to make; Kyle just made the biggest mistake of his life.

8. Biglaw Dawgin'
    1:38 pm July 21, 2013 Permalink

I think he’ll do well there. Perfect system for him. I think he’ll make the league eventually. Maybe not first round, but he’ll make it.

9. WorkOut
    1:47 pm July 21, 2013 Permalink

Has noting to do with not being coached. I hope Mark Few give Kyle an anti-lazy pill so he’ll have the energy and desire to hit the gym that he has ignored for the last couple of year. Some things you have to do on your own. Kyle has no competitive spirit. Waited his time playing on the internet.

10. Dwoos
    1:56 pm July 21, 2013 Permalink

So many people wish Kyle well. I hope he plays terrible and never gets close to the NBA. He is now the enemy like everyone else that is not wearing the ky uniform. I know I know they are kids. I don’t wish he gets hurt but I hope this move turns out terrible for him. He won’t be welcomed back no matter what he thinks

11. Korean Tacos
    2:01 pm July 21, 2013 Permalink

So are all the one-and-doners enemies, too, #10?

12. rj
    2:41 pm July 21, 2013 Permalink

kyle reminds me of one of the atheletes from the movie “the ringer” I think mark few will find that kyle is a “special” player.

13. vinnie
    2:42 pm July 21, 2013 Permalink

10. we don’t wish bad for our players (or former players) like you obviously do at UL, and we don’t get all butthurt when they decide UK is not the best place for them to play. trollery at it’s worst.

14. Bmac
    2:45 pm July 21, 2013 Permalink

Mark Few has sent a total of 7 players to the NBA in 14 years as a head coach. Hope it works out for Kyle, but he certainly has not improved his chances with the transfer.

15. rj
    2:48 pm July 21, 2013 Permalink

kyle’s game reminds me of bird not larry, but the parasitic twin steve that they had removed from larry’s ass at birth.

16. rj
    2:53 pm July 21, 2013 Permalink

whats the full potential mark few is talking about? playing jaws jr in the new james bond movie?

17. smoke and mirrors
    3:11 pm July 21, 2013 Permalink

I sure hope he spends more time in the weight room and Gym and less time making stupid videos,that’s about the best advice I can give him.

18. bmt22033
    3:25 pm July 21, 2013 Permalink

Wiltjer wanted more playing time and he’ll certainly get that at Gonzaga. He also wants to play in the NBA and felt like Kentucky wasn’t the right place to help him achieve that. The problem with that logic, however, is that there’s *nowhere* he can transfer that will magically get him into the NBA. He was never going to be one and done because he lacks the inherit talent that a lot of Calipari’s players have. That doesn’t mean that he’ll never make it in the NBA but it *does* mean that he has to work harder than a lot of the guy’s he’s seen get drafted out of Kentucky in the last couple of years. Based only on what I saw as a fan, it doesn’t look like he was interested in doing what was needed to transform himself into an NBA-level player. Personally, I think that’s on him and him alone. I wish him the best wherever he ends up but unless he’s willing to put the NBA above all else and start training like that’s all that matters, I think he’s ultimately going to be disappointed in the results.

19. Wildcatsteeler
    4:40 pm July 21, 2013 Permalink

Good luck with the prima donna turncoat. Better make sure he gets his touches or he’s gonna transfer.

20. UK#1
    5:00 pm July 21, 2013 Permalink

Kyle made the right decision for himself. He doesn’t fit coach Cal system period. Good luck Kyle.

21. njCat
    6:00 pm July 21, 2013 Permalink

Kyle will never play in the NBA, period. He’s got no killer instinct (cue all the missed wide open threes last year) and worse.. has no lateral footspeed. If he can’t guard anyone in college, how does he expect to in the NBA. He may be one of the worst defensive players I’ve seen in the last 10 years. Everyone just abuses him. Poor kid.

22. wishes Kyle well
    6:52 pm July 21, 2013 Permalink

if you have to leave Kentucky to find playing time, then how do you expect to find playing time on an NBA roster? that being said, I wish Kyle the best. If he gets serious about developing his body, then I am pretty sure that there is a niche for Kyle to fill at the next level. He has a fair level of basketball IQ and basketball savvy…and a pretty accurate shot. If he focuses on- and hones- those two attributes while getting stronger, then yes- he could be one of those 10 or 12 year role player guys in The League.