Mario Party 2’s Friday News and Views

Every family has their unique Thanksgiving traditions. Some families play flag football games. Some families gather in line to go “Black Friday shopping.” Some families probably watched the Jets embarrass themselves on national television. In my family, we have one tradition and one tradition only: Mario Party 2. I was fortunate enough to grow up having 4 cousins in the same age range as myself. I’m not sure exactly when the tradition started, but judging by the fact that the game started on a Nintendo 64, I’m going to estimate that I was probably around the age of 10. One of the cousins randomly purchased Mario Party 2, and not because anyone particularly enjoyed the original Mario Party. For reasons still unknown to this day, Mario Party 2 was put in the cartridge (after carefully blowing in it of course, #N64Probz) and our family has never looked back since. We played once and enjoyed it enough to start another game immediately thereafter. Then it started to get a little competitive. Then we started to always pick the same character (Wario for me, always…the perfect mixture of skill and evil). Then it was 2 or 3 in the morning and we were on our sixth consecutive game of the day.

A year later, we gathered once again at the same household for 4 days together with the cousins. Remembering how much fun we had the previous trip, we decided to pull out Mario Party 2 for old times sake. Two days later and we now had a chalkboard with a running total of how many games each of us had won… Eight years later, even though none of us were particularly into video games, and much newer models of video game systems had come out– for us it was still Nintendo 64 and Mario Party 2. We all moved on to college, but once again continued to gather for our 4 day weekend  Mario Party 2 binge. The competition only heated up with each passing year. Strategies for mini games were memorized and we could almost call who was going to win each one before they started (For the record, I have never lost in “Tile Driver,” “Crazy Cutters,” “Hot Bob-Omb,” or “Face Lift”).

Today, we all sat down once again around the Nintendo 64 as college graduates– adults if you will. I am currently taking a 30-minute break (to everyone else’s chagrin) to write this while everyone anxiously waits for game #4 of the day to start. We’ve even created a “trophy/plaque” for the winner of each Thanksgiving to take home with them. If you look really closely, each character from the game is symbolically/abstractly represented on the plaque with the various colors. For those who are concerned, I am currently leading the Thanksgiving Mario Party 2 challenge of 2012 2-1. I’m 30 minutes away from putting on my Alex Poythress pants and finishing these fools.

(THE prize)

And now on to the news and views from today…

– When the biggest news of the day is that John Calipari took the basketball team to go see the movie “Lincoln,” you know it must be Thanksgiving. I am going to run through a few happenings and thoughts on the day, but to be quite honest– the world of Kentucky sports essentially stood still on this Thanksgiving day. And that’s probably a good thing.

– Both the men’s basketball team and the football team apparently took in the Thanksgiving holiday at the home of their coaches today. John Calipari and Joker Phillips both opened their doors to their players if they were not within driving distance of their own families. Ellen Calipari made a turkey, and the players liked to eat it.

– After a game in which Morehead State gave a top-ten nationally ranked team an all out battle, even leading for large stretches during the game, the talk should have centered around the impressive performance by the team. Instead, all of the attention was squarely on MSU’s head coach, Sean Woods. Woods returned to the place where he spent some of the best days of his life as a Kentucky basketball player, and he walked out of Rupp Arena wrapped up in controversy. Unfortunately for Woods, the end of game antics in which he got in the face of Devon Atkinson, became the focus of not only the local media, but the national media as well. Sean Woods was all over Sports Center this morning for all the wrong reasons. Regardless of how you feel about whether or not Atkinson made an inappropriate comment to his coach, or if Woods was too aggressive in his response, or if Woods crosses the line with his in-game yelling… the situation has not shed a positive light on Woods and his program.

– In reaction to Woods’ outburst in the game, Morehead State’s athletic department’s spokesman Adam Segal said that Sean Woods is facing possible disciplinary action. The announcement on what the disciplinary action will be won’t be announced until tomorrow. Stay tuned as the Sean Woods saga continues…

– Between the late game controversy and the pre-game comments about Kentucky from Woods, I think it’s safe to say he might wish he could have a “do-over” on the whole week.

We are still awaiting the return of Ryan Harrow. If you missed the post-game comments from John Calipari last night, he gave a few more details on the situation– though he openly admitted that even he wasn’t 100% clear on all of the details. “(His) Mom’s a little concerned. You want the kid to be right and you want to make sure in his mind he’s right. He was getting better. That’s the sad thing about it. If I knew more, I would keep it from you. But I don’t know more.” UK spokesman DeWayne Peevy said shortly before the game last night that Harrow was expected to return to Lexington on Saturday. Fingers crossed.

– Kentucky will have to at least play one more game before Harrow possibly returns though, as they face LIU Brooklyn tomorrow night in Rupp Arena. We will spend more time previewing LIU Brooklyn on the site tomorrow, but if you’ll recall from the game before the Kentucky/Maryland game in the Barclay Center, LIU Brooklyn and Morehead State went down to the wire, with Morehead State narrowly securing the victory. LIU Brooklyn is winless on the season, though they are coming off a 25-9 conference championship season last year.

– If you are one of the fans planning on attending the LIU Brooklyn game tomorrow, John Calipari, Matthew Mitchell and the UK Athletic Department have a deal for you!

– The KSR World was rather quiet today, but KSR College’s Wilder Treadway takes no days off. If you haven’t met Wilder, you probably don’t know his obsession with what was formerly known as the SEC West. While most people can’t stand a Saturday afternoon game on a grainy television feed between Auburn and Ole Miss, that is Wilder’s Super Bowl. Wilder Muse (yes, that is his middle name. And no, I don’t know why) Treadway has started a new series on KSR College where he takes a look at interesting story lines from the rest of the SEC. Check out the first installment on KSR College.

– In football news, we are two days away from what is usually the most highly anticipated game on the schedule. Kentucky travels to Knoxville on Saturday to take on the only other team in the SEC who has yet to record a conference win this season. I am currently in Tennessee visiting my cousins for Thanksgiving, and if you think the Kentucky football coaching search talk is dominating the sports conversation…it might be an even bigger topic of discussion in Tennessee. My uncle claims to have a source who he calls “Squeaks” who is “deeply connected to the athletic department.” My uncle says that “Squeaks” told him that Tennessee is shelling out 50 million dollars for Jon Gruden. If you talk to any other Tennessee fan walking the streets, they will all sing the same tune as well. My uncle’s ringtone is also that “Apple Bottom Jeans, Boots with the Fur” song. I’ll let you do the math on that one to decide how much stock you want to put in his “source.”

– Speaking of coaching searches, Rex Ryan looks to be pretty available…

– In Cats in the NBA news, Daniel Orton and DeAndre Liggins have both been assigned to the D-League.

– In other randomly perfect news, there’s nothing D-League about Tubby Smith’s new look.

– One last thought before I leave you to move one step closer to taking home the Mario Party 2 plaque… I hope the piggyback ride becomes the new John Wall Dance/3 goggles. Every season needs something unique. If you see a Kentucky fan on the street, 3 years ago you would have both broken into the John Wall dance. Last year, you would have thrown them a 3 goggle. This year, go give them a piggyback ride. I’m not saying you have to, but I’m not saying I won’t do it to each and every one of you if I see you on the street in a blue Kentucky shirt.

We’ll have plenty more coming your way as we preview the LIU Brooklyn game and the KSR world returns to normal after the Thanksgiving festivities.

Article written by Ally Tucker

I once successfully requested "The Wobble" to be played 6 times at one wedding.

43 Comments for Mario Party 2’s Friday News and Views

1. bmt22033
    11:14 pm November 22, 2012 Permalink

Still hoping and praying that Harrow will get better soon and be back with the team.

2. Sheriff Buford T. Justice
    11:27 pm November 22, 2012 Permalink

Any UK bars or good sports bars in San Diego that will be showing Cats games?

3. Great!!!
    11:38 pm November 22, 2012 Permalink

I’m keeping all my 13 season tickets! And yes I’m talking about football!!
    Way to go Mitch! I do not think you will regret this decision!! Hope it goes public by
    Saturday or Monday at latest

4. Kevin C.
    11:42 pm November 22, 2012 Permalink

Someone tell Wilfred Brimley to stop going to the tanning bed…it will shorten his life.

5. ummmm
    11:42 pm November 22, 2012 Permalink

you’re thinking of the song “low” by flo rida feat. t-pain. it’s almost as if you’ve never seen step up 2 the streets….

6. sunnycat
    11:50 pm November 22, 2012 Permalink

If MSU takes disciplinary action against Sean Woods they should do the same thing to the player.

7. Iheartbudmackey
    12:03 am November 23, 2012 Permalink

Ok, ok, I’ll bite. What is the new rumor on the new football coach?

8. G-Unit
    12:03 am November 23, 2012 Permalink

who is the suspected coach?!?!

9. LongTimeFan
    12:06 am November 23, 2012 Permalink

Let the Ditch Mitch campaign begin if it is in fact Bobby Petrino. That would be a major major mistake. Either Butch, Dirk, or Sonny would be a far far better choice.

10. Rod Strickland's Secret Smile
    12:07 am November 23, 2012 Permalink

I’m interested to hear these football developments. Sounds promising.

I’m starting to worry about whether Harrow’s going to stick with the team. This trip home doesn’t sound good, especially coming from a player who’s already transferred before. Maybe it’s nothing, but I wonder if we won’t have to count on Goodwin and Mays to share point duties on the starting five, with Polson as the backup off the bench.

11. Actually Auburn hasn’t won an SEC game this year.

Some of you may have forgotten, but Tubby had a big ol’ stache when he coached under Pitino at UK.

12. G-Unit
    12:12 am November 23, 2012 Permalink

13 – You’re an idiot. Bet when UK wins 9 next year your tune will change!

13. I Say
    12:25 am November 23, 2012 Permalink

I feel bad for Sean Woods. Yea he may have ripped his ass a little too much while on the court but I’m sure coaches have done far worse and gotten away with it

14. Iheartbudmackey
    12:26 am November 23, 2012 Permalink

17. I figured so but couldn’t help myself.

15. Brain Trust
    1:08 am November 23, 2012 Permalink

Matt Jones & Ryan Lemond: You better have your asses in the studio for the show tomorrow morning.

16. Buckets
    1:16 am November 23, 2012 Permalink

9 – Let the Ditch Mitch campaign begin if he DOESN’T hire Bobby Petrino. There, I fixed that for you. Sheesh, I don’t get why anybody wouldn’t want the guy who is WITHOUT A SHADOW OF A DOUBT THE BEST COACH OUT THERE. We might win 8 or 9 a year with Bobby P, maybe even 10 every once in a while.

Sean Woods needs to take a chill pill and learn that the Bobby Knight method of coaching just doesn’t fly anymore.

17. H T. G
    1:37 am November 23, 2012 Permalink

Hey Fatt. Harv is still alive and kicking. I took a smack across the face tonight with my twitter account. But exspect me to have a new one tomorrow. Nite nite.

18. H T. G
    1:38 am November 23, 2012 Permalink

@harveytgene. Can keep a good troll down!

19. Ally Fan
    1:50 am November 23, 2012 Permalink

Long paragraphs suck…
    Hit return after 3-4 sentences

20. Inside Info
    3:02 am November 23, 2012 Permalink

I’m hearing rumblings that Petrino to UK is a “done deal.” Any proof on this?

21. Booger
    6:31 am November 23, 2012 Permalink

What a great man Joker Phillips is by inviting players to his family thanksgiving. It is not his job- it just shows he cares. I just hope the new coach is as classy and cares like this. Joker is a thankful individual and has shared and never forgotten where he came from. This is my last post about Joker. I would like to wish you the best- your a class act and a wonderful person!! Love you and go blue

22. BravoBigBlue
    7:15 am November 23, 2012 Permalink

Is Tubby in the Witness Protection Program?

23. catfan55
    7:20 am November 23, 2012 Permalink

Hope all the rumblings are true about BP!!!!

24. barn
    7:30 am November 23, 2012 Permalink

did i miss something in this post about UK’s suspected new coach? looking at you 3 & 8

25. Dr PinDyke
    7:40 am November 23, 2012 Permalink

Hearing a lot of good things about the football coaching search, about 75 percent of the fan base should be happy, has CWS every been sold out for every game?

26. ProspectMike
    7:56 am November 23, 2012 Permalink

Why would we want Rex Ryan? If he can’t manage players and win on the pro level, I think he would have more problems at UK.

27. BP are you with me
    8:00 am November 23, 2012 Permalink

What’s up with the petrino rumors?

28. Cooler92
    8:01 am November 23, 2012 Permalink

Butch Jones? What’s he done? Spend the money for a home run hire or admit that you don’t care about the football program.

29. tdogg40330
    8:06 am November 23, 2012 Permalink

24) what rumblings?? what did I miss??

30. nassau65
    8:27 am November 23, 2012 Permalink

Woods is just preparing for his future in television broadcasting, leave the man alone. One other coach i remember, treated his players the same way years ago, and now works for ESPN, and gets to say whatever he wants without repercussion. Smart move if you ask me. All he needs to do now is throw a chair and he’s in.

31. spencercatfan
    8:36 am November 23, 2012 Permalink

29) It’s people like you who give UK fans a bad rep! You act like we have had some huge tradition in football and that the AD should be able to hire any coach they want given the right amount of money is offered. Be realistic! That’s not the way it works with our football program. We all want to win in football and yes we should shoot for the moon with this hire but don’t act like no one cares about football if we do not land a huge name. Either be a fan or not! Sick of reading negative comments from so called fans!

32. UKStudent
    8:42 am November 23, 2012 Permalink

Harrow is gone. He took most of his stuff home with him the other day.

33. Oogie
    8:49 am November 23, 2012 Permalink

#24 is just yanking yer chains folks….

34. Bob Cobb
    8:49 am November 23, 2012 Permalink

The hot UK coaching rumor is that some commenters made up a Bobby Petrino to UK coaching rumor. it will not happen. All because our moralizing AD doesn’t want to pay millions to a head coach who practically stole from his previous employer. Ain’t that a shame?

35. Kelly
    8:50 am November 23, 2012 Permalink

Matt seems pretty sure that UK won’t hire Petrino. It seems to me that UK is keeping everything quiet. Matt has his sources and I’m sure they’re in the administration, but with the way Barnhart is playing this I imagine he has told everyone to keep quiet. Whatever Matt’s sources are telling him I’d say it’s not exactly accurate because people could lose their jobs if their talking and they were told not to. Unless of course Matt’s source is Barnhart himself. No one knows anything at this point it’s all speculation.

36. tdogg40330
    8:51 am November 23, 2012 Permalink

35) ya damn tootie its a shame, what did he steal??

37. Bobby Petrino
    8:53 am November 23, 2012 Permalink

Why would I want to coach your garbage program? Plus, I hate rednecks. You people are rednecks.

38. Bob Cobb
    9:03 am November 23, 2012 Permalink

Recommending that your employer put your mistress on the payroll, without disclosing to them that she is your mistress, is the equivalent of stealing.

39. tdogg40330
    9:19 am November 23, 2012 Permalink

39) He got caught up in the moment and made a mistake, you dont think the girl
    was taking advantage of his powers in the program?? He has to deal with it at home
    with his wife and kids, shouldnt keep him from being a football coach. JMO, I’ll
    support whoever they hire, just think he needs an offer …..

40. Dr. Huang
    9:35 am November 23, 2012 Permalink

Sean Woods needs the same thing that Bob Knight needed: a good ass-whooping. He squares up to his players like he’s ready to fight, so I think one of them needs to oblige and crack his jaw. There is a difference between tough love and outright abuse/disrespect. Screaming and posturing like you’re ready to throw down is not the way to coach.

41. In Cal We Trust
    9:50 am November 23, 2012 Permalink

It is time to grow up Ryan. If you listen to Cal and do what he ask, I bet your voice will even be deeper by the end of the year.

42. sean woods says
    10:04 am November 23, 2012 Permalink

so its okay for coach cal to rip his players heads off and talk down to them… which he does a lot you know thats part of coaching.. if you cant take it then go back to sucking on mama’s tit..