Marcus Lee is a rebounding machine

Marcus Lee is often lost in the shadows of Kentucky’s 2013 recruiting class behind Andrew and Aaron Harrison, James Young, and now Dakari Johnson.  He’s the 18th ranked player in America, according to Rivals.com, but only the fifth best of the six guys in Kentucky’s new class with another top 5 player expected to join in the spring.  That’s where Kentucky is as a basketball program right now.  John Calipari’s sixth best recruit in the class is ranked among the top 20 in the country.  And he’s only going to climb in the rankings as the season rolls on.

Lee is putting up insane numbers this season for Deer Valley in Antioch, CA.  He scored 22 points with 25 rebounds, five assists and five blocks in last night’s game, and he’s averaging 25.5 rebounds over his last four.  Not only that, he’s one block per game shy of averaging a triple-double through 31 games this season.  That’s what you call dominance, folks.

My point in telling you all this is, don’t sleep on Marcus Lee when bragging to your Louisville and Indiana friends about Kentucky’s historic recruiting class.  And if you’re ever playing against Marcus Lee, forget everything you learned about how to rebound and just get back on defense after a missed shot.

Article written by Drew Franklin

38 Comments for Marcus Lee is a rebounding machine

1. jos
    1:47 pm January 9, 2013 Permalink

2. HeshimuEvans'2ndGradeTeacher
    1:48 pm January 9, 2013 Permalink

If I’m reading that right I believe you mean 5th best recruit….Unless you got Willis above him or you know something we don’t about Wiggins or Randle.

3. HeshimuEvans'2ndGradeTeacher
    1:49 pm January 9, 2013 Permalink

Nevermind. I Didn’t read that right.

4. capt
    1:55 pm January 9, 2013 Permalink

That stat line is absolutely insane, awesome, and completely terrifying. I hope we all live long enough to see this team play this fall.

5. The Mayans
    1:57 pm January 9, 2013 Permalink

4. Sorry. None of you will live that long.

6. BBN
    1:57 pm January 9, 2013 Permalink

Sacramento Kings to Seattle.

7. Dear IU and UL, We are National Champs; you are not. The end.
    1:59 pm January 9, 2013 Permalink

Seriously, that’s nuts.

8. GiveEmCredit
    1:59 pm January 9, 2013 Permalink

Marcus Lee and James Young need to get more attention then they are. Everytime they talk about our recruiting class on television, they normally don’t even mention the two of them. We have FIVE five-star recruits now. That is amazing…….and will hopefully only get better.

9. CarloTheDon
    2:06 pm January 9, 2013 Permalink

I live in the Sacramento area and he is playing Sheldon HS on the 19th. May go check him out live. He reminds me of myself as a young lad playing for Mary Queen of the Holy Rosary 5th grade Light Blue team.

10. tom
    2:09 pm January 9, 2013 Permalink

5 – Hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. BlueTexan
    2:15 pm January 9, 2013 Permalink

News of the commitments only gets better (other than Randle)…hope they all have monster seasons…AND, can shoot a free throw!

12. DREWBLUE
    2:18 pm January 9, 2013 Permalink

Remember the days when our recruiting classes consisted of players ranked in the 50’s and 60’s?

13. harry
    2:20 pm January 9, 2013 Permalink

True freshmen have ever won the championship, we will need senior leadership and resolve to guide the freshmen superstars through adversity and take charge when needed. Right now, i dont even know who is going to stay as the star studded roster fills up for next year.

14. harry
    2:22 pm January 9, 2013 Permalink

Though I am very happy that these stars are lining up for next year, I am concen that we wont have players like Jones, Lamb, and Miller to help out 2013-2014 class.

15. by
    2:24 pm January 9, 2013 Permalink

Lee will be a great addition to UK’s program, don’t get me wrong. But I did find this article reviewing a game Lee played in November in which he scored 22 points…on 9 of 31 shooting! Hopefully he was taking ill-advised three point shots because I can’t imagine he missed 22 shots from the paint. As Calipari stated, we should temper our expectations as all of these kids will have a lot to learn when they finally get on campus next year. Should be exciting…

16. Devastation INC
    2:29 pm January 9, 2013 Permalink

I dont follow this stuff much other than what i get from this site mainly, but can someone tell me why the hell this guy is ranked for lack of a better word, so low. It seems like anytime i get any news about him it’s identical to what i just read. What’s the deal why isnt he ranked in or near the top 10???

17. Kentucky vs Vandy
    2:32 pm January 9, 2013 Permalink

Enough with the tempering expectations talk. With a class like this expectations deserve to be through the roof. Anything short of a championship will be a disappointment and going undefeated is a possibility.

18. tea leaves
    2:33 pm January 9, 2013 Permalink

“another top 5 player expected to join in the spring.” ???? Drew do you know something we dont???? Wiggins I hope???

19. Kentucky vs Vandy
    2:34 pm January 9, 2013 Permalink

Yes, I said it. Un- de- feated

20. UKBlue1!
    2:37 pm January 9, 2013 Permalink

#14 Wiltjer, Harrow and ? WCS

21. by
    2:38 pm January 9, 2013 Permalink

So, #17, I assume you have seen all of these kids play in person for multiple games? Watching highlight videos doesn’t count. Do you know what type of talent these kids play against in high school? You must in order to make such bold predictions about their first season playing college basketball. The truth is, neith you, nor I have any idea how these kids will respond to playing college ball. That is why expectations need to be reasonable for these kids. Undefeated? Have you seen UK’s schedule for next season? Neither have I, so how can you predict an undefeated season? A little perspective would be helpful…

22. HeshimuEvans'2ndGradeTeacher
    2:42 pm January 9, 2013 Permalink

#21 – Damn, let #17 be happy for a minute. Although I agree with you.

#16 – Probably has something to do with level of competition, or how he performed over the summer during aau season. Just a guess, though.

23. Syrin
    2:44 pm January 9, 2013 Permalink

Here’s why those rebounding stats are so good. it means the kid has a motor. Rebounding is MOSTLY about effort. That’s why Rondo gets so many against guys a foot taller than him. You know how many 6’9″ high school players there are? Hundreds if not thousands. This guy has separated himself by showing the will and desire to get underneath and out work his opponents for the rebound.

24. ukfastcat
    2:44 pm January 9, 2013 Permalink

I’m with the “hell with tempering the expectations” faction.
    At the very least, an ever improving Polson and Wiltjer will be around to mentor this new group next year.
    And, this class defines the word “special”.
    The Harrison twins are M E N already and will improve more this HS season and all summer long, then explode when Cal gets involved. Johnson? S T U D with sky-high potential. Young and James are doing and saying all the right things.
    We will get one or two of the three remaining targets and still have a good chance to have the #1 player at all five positions.
    NOW… can we just enjoy the progress THIS year’s team is making and root them on to an SEC sweep that will produce one of the most dangerous teams in the 2013 tournament?
    You know, just a thought…

25. Coach Cal's salad
    2:48 pm January 9, 2013 Permalink

^^^^
    What 24. said…

26. TANK
    3:17 pm January 9, 2013 Permalink

What I really like about this kid is he wants to be at Kentucky not just with Cal. Anyone who follows this kid on twitter or instagram has seen how much he cheers for our team and tweets out pictures of him in UK clothes. He is by far my favorite in this class and is very much underated. I liken him to how WCS came in the 40th ranked player and look at the progress he has made. He also is arguably the best shot blocker in the class and will only get better once he gets here. I also expect him to stay 2-3 years.

27. Rockfield, KY
    3:29 pm January 9, 2013 Permalink

15. It’s a good thing he’ll probably be our 5th or 6th scoring option. We just need him to rebound and block shots.

23. You are absolutely correct. Rebounding is an indication of a player’s motor and that is what this year’s UK team has been lacking. Last year we had an abundance.

28. Ouch
    3:33 pm January 9, 2013 Permalink

I still like the girl with the calender!!!

29. Badams
    4:56 pm January 9, 2013 Permalink

You know why he is such a good rebounder? It’s not just his motor. Remember, he plays volleyball to he is used to bein quick off the floor to spike and block shots. Volleyball players usually translate well into basketball players, primarily in rebounding and blocking shots. This kid is a stud and will see playin time next season. As for someone to teach them the ways, even if everyone left I don’t think it’s an issue with these guys. These guys already have that competitive fire and motor, especially the Harrison twins. They have that attitude that Wall, Bledsoe, Cousins, Davis, MKG had. Everyone one of our commits are very mature, smart guys and I don’t think it takes them near as long as what we see with Goodwin and Poythress. Btw, if the season ended now we only lose Noel and Goodwin. Yes Goodwin has a lot to learn but there is no denying is athleticism and the draft is weak on guards. WCS should come back, he will be a lottery pick next year, and Poythress just hasn’t become the player we know he can be. Poythress may end up leaving, but I still see WCS, Harrow, and Wiltjer as returners. Next year will be crazy deep.

30. mudcreekmark
    5:37 pm January 9, 2013 Permalink

Now I see why Cal didn’t sign any more recruits for 2012. He knew what was coming in the class of 2013. I bet Marcus Lee will be a fan favorite next year. I didn’t know he was a volley ball player but that explains alot about his stat line. Mark it down, he will be a better college player that Noel.

31. oldschool
    6:01 pm January 9, 2013 Permalink

Buddy the Elf dominated the North Pole League when his competition was less than half his side.

Can’t you guys temper expectations a bit off these Freshmen. It happened this year – a UK that relies ALMOST entirely on freshmen may lean on rookies even more next year. This year’s team isn’t playing bad – they’re playing like freshmen.

This is Cal-ball – welcome to it. Taking 17-18 year old kids and putting them up against 20-21 year olds and the results will not always be so good. Notre Dame doesn’t have the talent of UK – but they are a better team and more experienced – thus the loss. It will likely happen more this year – and it will happen next year.

Cal-ball works well when he had three or more returners that were able to mix in with the super fresh. But those days are gone. Meanwhile teams like Creighton and Butler who are built around 4 year players have less talent – but a better TEAM than Kentucky.

Can’t wait til Cal is gone. Kentucky is the premier college basketball program and was prior to Cal’s arrival. But we MUST get back to playing College basketball – which requires college students and college players.

Go Butler
    Go Creighton
    Go IU
    Go Mich. State
    Hats off to the teams who don’t go out of their way to make a mockery of the student-athlete.

32. JackB
    6:52 pm January 9, 2013 Permalink

While high school stats can be misleading, this is impressive for a couple of reasons. First, he is in Cali, not eastern KY or North Dakota. In a state so populated and diverse, he is presumably playing some talented teams with tall players. Second, being the tallest player on the Court means you probably should get 8-10 rebounds per game just standing near the goal. But getting 25 boards per game? That is crazy hustle/motor. (see #23 comment) Very impressive.

33. oldschool
    8:02 pm January 9, 2013 Permalink

I get hard everytime I see Tom Crean. I mean I really love this guy. I want a three way with Tom Crean and Brad Stevens.

34. KyKid
    9:15 pm January 9, 2013 Permalink

31 – Really??? You think Butler, Creighton, IU, Mich St wouldn’t JUMP at the chance to get the guys we are getting? You can’t have it both ways. Talent wins out in the end. I will go out on a limb and say that none of those will win the championship this year. Yes, I would love to be able to root for guys for 3-4 years. I miss those days too. But, given the rules as they are now, I would definitely take “Cal-ball” over less talented teams that can’t recruit. I hear you, but you are misguided, my friend.

35. oldschoolsucks
    10:18 pm January 9, 2013 Permalink

I miss Tubby ball, where explosive players are taught to pass around the perimeter until there is 5 seconds left on the clock and then force a jump shot. I also loved how Tubby never defeated a top ten team and put up monstrous scores hovering around 65. Don’t get me started about BCG, the best man to ever beat, ridicule, and abuse a win out of young men giving all they had. I hate championships, top recruits, and top ten plays on ESPN…will someone please fire Cal? Why am I the only one who can see how far we’ve fallen?

36. E
    10:31 pm January 9, 2013 Permalink

Oldschool you are wrong on so many levels. We were the premiere team before Cal? Wrong. We were losing in the NIT. Now we are defending champs. Who has had a better 3.5 year run than UK? Answer: no one. They will be the best team in the country again next year. You are silly.

37. Jim
    11:05 am January 10, 2013 Permalink

31 Your a fricking idiot. What should cal do?
    tell a 5 star player no-thanks, were looking