Marcus Lee does it again

While the Cats were trying to finish off the Vols last night, Marcus Lee was taking care of business with another 20+ rebound game. Lee posted 20 points, 21 rebounds 7 blocks and 6 assists, and is averaging 19 points, 22 rebounds and 7 blocks a game. Averaging 22 rebounds a game

Adam Weaver of Ky Cat Stats interviewed Lee recently about his future at Kentucky. When asked why he chose the Cats, Lee said the la familia atmosphere sold him on the program, along with the fans:

Kentucky basketball (isn’t) just a team. They’re a family. They are with each other 80% of the time. Coach Cal and his staff took all their players and treated them like it was their own children. …And the fans are insane! I’ve always wanted a school full of spirit. And that’s what I got!”

Also, Anthony Davis needs to watch out for that single-season shot block record, which stands at 186: “I’m going after that block record!! I have about 200 blocks already. I plan on killing that record.”

It even looks like Lee has mastered that whole “hate Louisville” thing: “I wanna play Louisville! Because I wanna get back that win they took from us this year.

See you soon, Marcus. Keep up the good work:

36 Comments for Marcus Lee does it again

1. ThatsExactlyRight
    10:50 am January 16, 2013 Permalink

This kid gets it. Can’t wait for the new rankings to come out!

2. capt
    10:51 am January 16, 2013 Permalink

wow! this kid goes to work.

3. Rockfield, KY
    10:51 am January 16, 2013 Permalink

fan favorite, all effort all the time, hates Louisville

4. Freddie Cowan
    11:04 am January 16, 2013 Permalink

Did anyone else notice Darrin Horn sitting at the end of the press table last night next to the Indiana bench during the Wisconsin game? The camera showed him several times just casually observing the game.

5. catcrawler
    11:09 am January 16, 2013 Permalink

Lee and Johnson dominating down low will be fun

6. Simple
    11:12 am January 16, 2013 Permalink

Reminds me of Tim Duncan. Not SAYING he’s that good, just saying he’s similar.

And not saying he can’t eventually be that good either. Kid can ball.

7. MustacheMan
    11:15 am January 16, 2013 Permalink

Kid looks great and I am really excited about him, but did it look like he was playing small children to anyone else? Maybe that is just high school ball…

8. ljx
    11:15 am January 16, 2013 Permalink

Wish we had him this year to grab boards like that!

9. Caytsss
    11:17 am January 16, 2013 Permalink

This dude has a bright future @uk block.reboundx2.block….

10. Han
    11:24 am January 16, 2013 Permalink

If we somehow don’t get any of Randle, Wiggins, Gordon, and assuming Willie goes pro this year, we could play Lee and Johnson side by side like Cal’s doing with Noel and WCS.

11. Devastation INC
    11:25 am January 16, 2013 Permalink

When do the new rankings come out? Surely he will be in the top 12.

12. mudcreekmark
    11:27 am January 16, 2013 Permalink

I really like what I see from this kid. I like the way he says “us”. He already considers himself a part of the family and I like that.

13. NotSoFast
    11:32 am January 16, 2013 Permalink

#6, he reminds me a lot of Jarvis Varnado from Miss State. I feel like they both can’t jump through the roof like Anthony Davis but they have impeccable timing and length. At least in the vids I’ve seen of Lee, he doesn’t have a crazy vertical (it could be because he doesn’t need to exert that much energy against lesser competition).

14. Good Comments
    11:37 am January 16, 2013 Permalink

#6,#13-Good insights on this Kid. He is a Star that is still rising!

15. Caytsss
    11:38 am January 16, 2013 Permalink

There are plenty of five star recruits who could put up numbers like this in high school. But this kid actually goes out there and gets it done. He’s gonna be a fierce competitor (see MKG) he should be rated top 10 no question!

16. I Say
    11:38 am January 16, 2013 Permalink

Of course him and Dakari would be able to play together, Lee is a 6’9 Power Forward, same as Terrence

17. GoFaster
    11:41 am January 16, 2013 Permalink

13… are you effin kidding me?! He definitely has hops. What are you looking at? By the way, he also plays volleyball… volleyball players generally have better hops than any other sport.

18. john boy
    11:56 am January 16, 2013 Permalink

sounds like we could use a guy like him on this years team, someone with pride and a will to win

19. UKJoe
    12:01 pm January 16, 2013 Permalink

Enough about recruits we had #1 class this year and are mediocre, I focus on current players only.

20. bosshog
    12:05 pm January 16, 2013 Permalink

#13-The one common theme from all the analysts is that the guy is an “electric athlete”….who now seems to be developing into a prime-time player at the current level….so, I’m sure his “hops” are just fine, and at least on par with other big men his size. He and Johnson down low should develop into a nasty combination on the boards….something we could use right now….and something that could be a lethal combination with the amount of size, athleticism and overall skill that we’ll have on the perimeter. I’m sure he’ll need to continue to grow, but I think he’ll be at least as big an immediate surprise as WC….last year’s forgotten recruit.

21. Syrin
    12:26 pm January 16, 2013 Permalink

Plus, I like the fact he actually smiles for a photo instead of doing the John Wall mug shot thing.

22. soggyUKgrad
    12:35 pm January 16, 2013 Permalink

Hey “UKJoe”….have you ever read the masthead at the top of KSR?!?!

23. MJ4UK
    12:41 pm January 16, 2013 Permalink

I cant wait to see this guy play next year…I love our current team, but this guy is more excited about playing for UK than anyone I have seen in the past few classes. I know that is saying a lot with the recruits we have had, and there’s not one that I do not care for and support. I just cant wait to see this guy wearing the blue and white

24. Dear IU and UL, We are National Champs; you are not. The end.
    12:42 pm January 16, 2013 Permalink

How do those stats not translate into a top 10 recruit ranking?

25. Ryan
    12:53 pm January 16, 2013 Permalink

#19. This freshman class as a whole is weak Next year class will be more like David and mkg class. Shabaz and Noel Probalay won’t even be in the top 5 in this senior class

26. NotSoFast
    12:56 pm January 16, 2013 Permalink

#16/#20 I said he can’t jump through the roof, didn’t say he had jared sullinger hops (or lackthereof). He is indeed a freak athlete and it seems like he’s got a great motor. I stand by my initial statement in that if you compare him and varnardo, they don’t have CRAZY hops like AD or even KD, yet they are still sick defenders because of their length and athleticism. Yea #20, I wasn’t bashing his hops, because I dont think he lacks any, he just cant “jump through the roof” like I said.

27. Look again
    1:05 pm January 16, 2013 Permalink

26… He jumps at the least as high as AD

28. Maxbps8
    2:06 pm January 16, 2013 Permalink

Marcus became my favorite player in the 2013 class the day he committed. Now he’s just distanced himself from my #2 (?) by a few miles. My only frustration is that we don’t have him right now. He’d be the difference maker b/n where we now (a great, talented but underperforming team) and a top 10 or better team. Of all the HUGE FROSH coming in next year, I am most excited about this young man. And that is saying something w/ what will probably be THE best recruiting class…EVER.

29. rainman
    2:11 pm January 16, 2013 Permalink

He looks awfully right handed! He better learn to
    use the left if he plans on blocking those same shots
    at the next level! LOVE the attitude though!

30. Brian
    2:12 pm January 16, 2013 Permalink

I would like to see him develop the left hand a little more, but this guy looks like he can ball. I noticed every time he went up from the left side low post, he spun to the basket and went up with the right hand. That will be harder to do on the next level, but I am ready to see this guy play in some blue!

31. Maxbps8
    2:18 pm January 16, 2013 Permalink

#3, #8, & #18 = Agreed. I love how, for example at the 24-sec clip, how he uses his right hand to block a shot and his left to grab the ball almost simultaneously. And at the 54-second clip his one-handed, no-look pass was Sah-Wwheet! (said like Stewie: “Cool Wwhip!”) This kid has the passion! Like my favorites before him: Wayne Turner, Ravi Moss, Deandre Liggins, and the one-and-only MKG. They play(ed) the game like it was meant to be played: all-out, all-the-time, and in every aspect: passing, defense, help-D, rebounding, hustle, etc…

32. Ken Grizzle
    2:30 pm January 16, 2013 Permalink

Can’t wait until you are wearing the jersey that says “KENTUCKY” across the front.

33. CCAACoach
    2:59 pm January 16, 2013 Permalink

I coached against his older brother in college. He ended up being very effective in the post and most of the league had to double team him nightly by his junior year. Marcus is light years ahead of his brother and I expect him to end up just as skilled in the post and possibly be able to play on the wing some.

34. maddogmitchell55
    2:59 pm January 16, 2013 Permalink

Oh yeah! I like his attitude. It will be fun to watch him at UK. Go Cats! And go Krogering!

35. uktrackstar
    3:25 pm January 16, 2013 Permalink

It should be illegal for this young man to play against HS players.
    Just not fair!

36. zod
    3:42 pm January 16, 2013 Permalink

This kid has not had a game this season without a double double and has had three triple double games. Yeah, he needs to go up in the rankings.