Marcus Lee Debates The Age Old Apple/NBA Question.

If you missed the link to this Marcus Lee story in the morning links here it is again. As Adam Himmelsbach of the Courier-Journal really dug in to the story of the big man from California.

He’s a guy with heart:

He’s a skinny, laid-back California kid, a former middle school class president who once gave his sneakers to a teammate who didn’t have any. He rarely watches basketball on television and cannot identify many famous players. A technology buff, he thought until recently that working for Apple would be preferable to playing in the NBA.

Considering at one time Apple had more cash than the federal government that might not be such a bad idea. According to his brother he’s been cramming on people since Biddy Ball

“He played in a kindergarten league on little rims, and he was even dunking on the other kids then,” Bryan Lee said. “Nobody else had even thought to dunk the ball.”

That was all before hitting an Anthony Davis esque growth spurt

Lee played mostly guard and small forward during his first two seasons at Deer Valley. He was 6-2 and enjoyed sparking the fast break. “Then I just kept growing,” he said. He sprouted to 6-9 but maintained decent guard skills for a player his size. He also had impeccable timing as a shot-blocker – an ability he developed on the volleyball court.

Finally, he speaks to the Coach Cal effect

Marcus Lee didn’t have the Wildcats among his 10 finalists, ‘but that changed after I started talking to them. I was like, ‘OK, I’m keeping these people.’ They weren’t stiff like some other coaches

Those are just a few highlights but the whole article is worth checking out. Lee sounds like an interesting dude and will be a great pairing with Willie Cauley-Stein. What do you think?

Article written by Andrew Cassady

Follow me @ACassady_KSR

18 Comments for Marcus Lee Debates The Age Old Apple/NBA Question.

1. Billy club
    1:06 pm April 21, 2013 Permalink

Coach cal seems to always recruit not only great basketball players, but also great kids . Can’t wait to show him some southern hospitality!!!!

2. John Ellis
    1:08 pm April 21, 2013 Permalink

Cal has an interesting recruiting technique – honesty. May be why the intelligence level of his recruits (with a couple of exceptions) is higher than average.

3. I am Coach Cal Recruiting Tool
    1:11 pm April 21, 2013 Permalink

$$$

4. TechTool
    1:22 pm April 21, 2013 Permalink

Kentucky kids want to play for UK, California kids want to work for Apple? Is there a Rupp vs. Jobs storyline there for some bold or foolish blogger?

5. Eric K
    1:26 pm April 21, 2013 Permalink

Who cares what the haters say? They can suck it! IN CAL WE TRUST!! GO CATS!!

6. L1C4 is LAME
    1:45 pm April 21, 2013 Permalink

Why would he have to pay players to come here? He wins and puts people in the league unlike other programs around here. Not to mention its KENTUCKY NUMBNUTS!!!!

7. mudcreekmark
    1:50 pm April 21, 2013 Permalink

If you have that kind of height and have the timing to play volleyball at the Division I level, you are a shot blocking record holder in waiting. I can see him breaking Davis record. I don’t think he will be a one and done player because of all the players coming in so he’ll have more than one year to break it. I think this kid may be a huge factor on how far we go next year. I think Dakari is a nice player but I wouldn’t think he would be the defensive force that Lee would be under the basket.

8. bung
    2:06 pm April 21, 2013 Permalink

“enjoyed sparking the fast break”…my kinda player…hope we get a fast break expert on the staff…maybe one of Rupp’s guys…

9. Cope
    2:07 pm April 21, 2013 Permalink

5) Eric K, on a side note do you have any inside information on Wiggins, you seem very sure he will be a cat? Just wondering.

10. I am Coach Cal Recruiting Tool
    2:12 pm April 21, 2013 Permalink

I am an insecure troll…Or is that redundant?

11. SeaCat
    2:23 pm April 21, 2013 Permalink

9) BleedBlue is the guy who says Wiggins will be a Cat.
    You can find his comments by googling: KSR, bleed blue, April

12. Maxbps8
    2:28 pm April 21, 2013 Permalink

And for those keeping track: Marcus Lee is back on top in the Race to Be BPS’s Favorite Kat in the 2013-14 season! The Tech-Apple career just separated him from the rest of the pack then he extended that lead w/ the ‘keeping it real’ comment.

13. Maxbps8
    2:31 pm April 21, 2013 Permalink

And then he blows the field away w/ the ‘sparking a fast break’ revelation. Yep, barring many major shifts in seismic activity, Marcus Lee IS the 2013-14 Season’s BPS’s FAVORITE KAT! Congratulations Marcus! (You can pick up your reward at the end of the upcoming season a week after your final game.)

14. Maxbps8
    2:34 pm April 21, 2013 Permalink

And how could I forget the Affro-Faux-Hawk!?! This kid’s legit. He is already working on the covetted Maxbps’ Favorite Kat of the DECADE &/or Era Award(s). i cannot wait to see this young man play for KentuckY!

15. Kevin C.
    2:42 pm April 21, 2013 Permalink

@ #3….You got one thing right…you’re a tool.

16. Tom "I have bodies in my backyard and kids locked in my basement" Crean
    3:20 pm April 21, 2013 Permalink

I was a little stiff when I met with him. Have to hide my boners a little better.

17. Ibescootch
    3:35 pm April 21, 2013 Permalink

Great article, and really makes me look forward even more to seeing this kid play. While I don’t think he’ll overshadow the rest of the guys, he’ll definitely steal the spotlight quite a bit with his freakish athleticism. In watching his highlight tapes as well, he seems to still be a little robotic in his post moves, so the offense has a way to go. The timing and quick jumping ability he’s honed from volleyball though will set him apart in rebounding and shot-blocking/adjusting.

Cal needs to have one person on staff that just keeps an eye out for decent point/shooting guards that have growth spurts!

18. Biff Switters
    5:00 pm April 21, 2013 Permalink

1) Right on!! Haters move aside, you’re just mad cause Kentucky got to Cal first or at least they were the school with the tradition and willingness to pay that would attract a coach like Cal. I don’t think he’s the best x’s and o’s coach, but that doesn’t matter when you can assemble that kind of talent. The folks who say that he pays them or runs a dirty program overlook one huge detail. Cal helps put them in a position to make tons of money later on…if they buy into his system and INVEST. It’s an investment. Cal doesn’t need to pay them because they know that if they work hard and do what he tells them, more money than he could pay them will be waiting and with open arms. It’s the closest thing to a sure thing to ink on the paper of a contract that you’ll find in the current landscape. Now the fact that Cal doesn’t just go after the top five every year, but rather seeks out the class acts i.e. Brandon Knight — good grades, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist –changed his last name to honor an elder relative, Marcus Lee –demonstrating selflessness at an early age. Let’s not forget that Patrick Patterson could’ve left early, but actually stayed at Kentucky and played for Cal for a season. I don’t know if that was why, but it’s a good bet that the ‘CAL’ (the personality/honesty/personal skills) of Coach Cal had something to do with that. Why recruit the best players in each class? Because you can when you’re Coach Cal and you work at Kentucky. Why recruit the best kids among the best players in each class? Because then you truly get the best of the best!!! We of the BBN get to reap the benefits…and they are many. Championship soon to be plural, NBA draft picks aplenty — who return to the Commonwealth to give back in service (that’s not the trait of people who ONLY care about money. Kentucky Basketball is a business and in that the BBN has the best CEO of the business world. I can’t wait to see basketball next year, well…I can wait actually. I can wait until November, because now we have football to look forward to. Don’t write it down yet, but I think we have the makings of a Coach Cal type personality in Coach Stoops. It’s good to be a KENTUCKY WILDCAT!!