Manti Te’o’s Saturday News and Views

Like most people, I have no idea what to make of the Manti Te’o saga. On one hand, is it really possible for one guy to be this naïve about a situation? I mean, come on. Completing a degree at Notre Dame and quarterbacking one of the best defenses in the nation aren’t the easiest things to do, so I’m having trouble believing that he could go this long talking to a man poising as a woman and not figure something was out of the ordinary. On the other hand, maybe I’m underestimating Te’o’s life beforehand. Was the Mormon-raised Te’o so sheltered growing up that he could be that easily manipulated by outsider? Did this guy Ronaiah Tuiasosopo know how gullible Te’o was and was so cruel that he wanted to publicly humiliate him by perpetrating this hoax? Whatever side you are standing on, whoever you believe, there is one thing we can all agree on: this is by far the craziest, most outlandish sports story ever, and I don’t believe it’s finished yet. What’s lost in all of this is that Te’o is still a very young man and 2013 was supposed to be one of his best years to date. Te’o graduates from Notre Dame this spring, he will be selected in the NFL draft this April ( A story I’m following even closer because I’m very curious on how this entire thing affects his draft status), and he turns 22 years old on Saturday. A couple of months prior, I’m sure Te’o thought he would be bringing his in birthday in a less stressful manner, but, yeah, it’s a pretty hectic one. Regardless of what the actual story is, or what else comes out, I hope this kid can one day put this all behind him and lead a normal life.

To the news and views…

–After the loss to the Crimson Tide on Tuesday, Kentucky has now put itself in a position where every game from here on out can make or break its season. The Cats host the lowly LSU Tigers tomorrow (4:00 PM, SEC Network) and, in theory, should be able to get back on track. It would be more worrisome if they players weren’t read to compete again after a bad loss to Alabama, but they are, and had one of the best, most spirited of the year on Thursday, according to senior guard Julius Mays.

Guys are tired of losing,” Mays said. “We are starting to feel a sense of urgency.”

Music to my ears.

–Like the rest of the United States, I was enamored by Michael Jordan’s greatness in the 1990’s. Jordan was already one of my favorite people ever, but then he decided to star in a movie with another good buddy of mine… Bugs Bunny. From age 7 to 18, I watched the movie “Space Jam” (/doing math in head…. carrry the seven…) approximately 1,523 times. So while watching Calipari give a press conference, the ringtone that interrupted sounded all too familiar. (It’s at the 3:00 mark)

“Everybody get up, it’s time to slam now.  We got a real jam goin’ down.  Welcome to the Space Jam.  Here’s your chance, do your dance at the Space Jam, alright.”

This might be the most random thing I’ve ever seen in happen in a press conference. But my biggest question is not who, but why? In 2013?

–Mark Stoops and coaching staff are setting up for another great weekend of recruiting in the Bluegrass. Earlier, I gave an awesome list of prospects that will be on campus this weekend. Many expect for Kentucky to pick up another commitment this weekend which would bolster the already exceptional class by Mark Stoops.

–Two prospects to keep an eye on are James Hearns and Jason Hatcher. Both recruits are considering signing with Kentucky, but one is a little more clear cut than the other. Hearns, a LB from Florida, recently told Rivals’ Justin Rowland that Kentucky is in the lead for his services as of right now and that he could commit as early as this weekend. Hatcher’s situation is a little more cloudy. He recently decommited from Southern Cal in a tweet a couple of nights ago, but deleted that tweet after Southern Cal came to his house to make a final push for him. It’s unclear if he’s now back with the Trojans or if he is still considering other schools. Either way, Hatcher says he won’t tell the world his decision until Feb. 6th, National Signing Day.

–KSR and UK Alumni groups across the country are teaming up to raise money for DanceBlue while getting together to watch the Cayts.  Gamewatch parties are already scheduled through UK alumni in Indianapolis, Cincinnati, New York, Charlotte, Austin, Louisville, Atlanta, Chicago, Birmingham and Washington D.C., and the fine people of Dallas held their event two weeks ago for the Texas A&M game. Houston is up next for tomorrow’s game against LSU. If you’re in the Houston area, head over to Luke’s Ice House, in the Washington corridor, to hang out with fellow members of Big Blue Nation before, during and after the game.

– Finally, if you are in Lexington on Saturday, stop by and watch the KSR Postgame Show at Glenn’s Creek Brewery in Chevy Chase. We expect it to begin around 7:00 and they will be taking calls and talking about all that developed during the Cats’ game versus the Tigers. So come out and see us, enjoy some food and drink and hang with Drew and Matt after what we hope will be a big win.

Well, that’s all, folks! (See what I did there?)

Article written by Rashawn Franklin

34 Comments for Manti Te’o’s Saturday News and Views

1. Cats
    11:03 pm January 25, 2013 Permalink

anywhere but Glenn’s Creek Brewery.

2. Question
    11:08 pm January 25, 2013 Permalink

Florida pulled Hearns’ offer because of his grades. How can we get him in but they can’t?

3. LaQuita
    11:18 pm January 25, 2013 Permalink

The ringtone was cals. You can clearly tell by him picking it up and putting it under the podium.

4. The Bank is Open
    11:20 pm January 25, 2013 Permalink

Everybody who put Manti Te’o on such a pedastool obviously looks like a clown now. I have yet to figure out why athletes are looked at as “heroes” when 99% of the world don’t even know them. Most of this can be blamed on the media. 99% of the media are just clowns who will do anything to get a story, whether it’s the truth or not. The world would be better without the media and all the other fake people such as Manti Te’o.

5. UK2001
    11:30 pm January 25, 2013 Permalink

I thought manti teo was the place in mexico that andy wanted to meet red after he escaped from shawshank.

6. Rae
    11:30 pm January 25, 2013 Permalink

2. Stoops is willing to be patient with him while he gets eligible and finishes requirements. Florida doesn’t really have to worry about being patient since they don’t need him as badly. It is a matter of UK thinking he is worth a little effort and hassle while Florida doesn’t. He’s a need for us but just something Florida likes.

7. RealCatsFan
    11:37 pm January 25, 2013 Permalink

Pitino had a similar thing happen in a presser several weeks ago when Bob Domine’s phone rang while on the podium. Pitino actually picked it up and answered it, and briefly conversed with the female voice at the other end. When he hung up, he told an embarrassed Domine that he was supposed to have lunch with “such and such”. It was actually pretty funny – I don’t hold out a lot of respect for Pitino since the Sypher thing, but I have to give him props for that one.

8. Dan
    11:38 pm January 25, 2013 Permalink

I would gladly give all my money to danceblue if this event was not at Glenn Creek Brewery. That place is the crappiest place possible. I’ve read KSR for nearly 5 years now and have never commented on any post, but felt required to speak of how much of a iguana diaherria dump Glenn Creek Brewery is. Please, if you care for the kids, go out of your way to donate to danceblue at any other establishment in the United States than Glenn Creek Brewery. #FTKnoGCB

9. I’ve heard coaches & draft experts on the radio say that the Te’o situation won’t affect his draft status in the least. Why? Because NFL coaches regularly see much worse situations than this when they’re looking at who to draft.

10. Dr. Phil
    11:50 pm January 25, 2013 Permalink

So Dan, what do you think of Glenn’s Creek Brewery? Don’t hold back, tell us what you really think! “Iguana diaherria dump” is really not very descriptive. Could you be more vivid in your detailed review of the establishment? We definitely do not want to take our kids to a brewery that is not sanitary, well-lighted, kid-friendly and safe. And what about the clientele? Are they friendly and relatively well-dressed? Does the brewery screen for drugs and weapons at the door? Where would Glenn’s Creek be seated on Jimmy Dyke’s airplane? Inquiring minds need to know!

11. W.W.B.B.N.D?
    11:51 pm January 25, 2013 Permalink

USC just fired their DB coach. USC goes 7-6, their players brawl in their locker room, Kiffins dad leaves as DC to go to Dallas Cowboys. All is not stable at USC.

12. D.M.C. Master Jamsalot
    11:53 pm January 25, 2013 Permalink

Dun be dissin my ringtone bra

13. Stickman
    12:12 am January 26, 2013 Permalink

Monte Kiffin “left” because the powers that be at USC told Lane it was either dad or him. They weren’t happy with the defense this year. Hopefully they continue their downward spiral as long as that skin flute is their head coach.

As far as the Hearns kid goes, he was an early Florida commitment. He’s been telling Florida since day one to be patient with him because he’s about to get his grads lined out, just like he told Stoops. I think with it being two weeks till signing day Muschamp got tired of waiting and Florida doesn’t have to wait around for players of this caliber or send them to juco like we have to at this juncture.

Hopefully he actually IS about to get them up to snuff and he can play for us right away. Either way, I’m glad to see us making waves and I hope the momentum carries over to the playing field.

14. Tubby Smith
    12:31 am January 26, 2013 Permalink

I look like a friggin Gopher. Check me out on the front page of ESPN.com.

Who knew this is what Minnesota would do to a black man.

15. Mike
    12:37 am January 26, 2013 Permalink

Is Alex Poythress a nut job that is unreachable?? It sounds like the players are getting a little sick of this as well. How can AP take all this public trashing and not want to alter his attitude, behavior, and results?

16. Mike
    12:43 am January 26, 2013 Permalink

CBS Sports just reported that Manti Te’o and Alex Poythress are both from the same home town. They reside in the Twilight Zone.

17. Exactly!!
    6:11 am January 26, 2013 Permalink

#17!! Thank you! That’s exactly what I was planning to post. Come on man. That is embarrassing for all if us as fans of the sight. I wish you felt the same way

18. Really???
    6:21 am January 26, 2013 Permalink

18) ….. “for all IF us as fans of the SIGHT.” SMH @ U.

19. UK Freshmen
    7:05 am January 26, 2013 Permalink

A sense of urgency now? Yea that sounds about right for this team. Sheesh.

20. holler baller
    7:05 am January 26, 2013 Permalink

#10 pretty funny. Its nice to see a pure hatred such as the one Dan has for the brewery.

21. Sammydog
    9:01 am January 26, 2013 Permalink

UH…I don’t think the guy is a quarterback for ND. He is a defensive player.

22. Joseph Smith
    9:12 am January 26, 2013 Permalink

I believe Manti. If you can read the book of Mormon and believe what’s written in it, you can believe anything.

23. Levity
    9:19 am January 26, 2013 Permalink

U say another commitment this weekend would “bolster this already exceptional class”? Look, kudos to stoops for bringing a breath of fresh air. Kudos to him for getting some kids to look at UK that would not have in the past, and good job to hom for signing a couple good prospects. But this class is only exceptional by UK standards. UK’s class is ranked #56 by Rivals, so gimme a break. It is NOT exceptional.

24. sorry
    9:27 am January 26, 2013 Permalink

22-qb of the defense

25. TruCatFan
    9:27 am January 26, 2013 Permalink

Everybody can forget about Hatcher, he re-signed with USC the day after he de-committed.

26. TruCatFan
    9:29 am January 26, 2013 Permalink

#24, you are wrong, as of right now, UK’s class is ranked #37

27. Bledsoe's Biceps
    9:32 am January 26, 2013 Permalink

24) One step at a time. Did you expect UK to suddenly vault into the top 10 of recruiting classes? If so, I want some of what you are smoking.

28. Bledsoe's Biceps
    9:34 am January 26, 2013 Permalink

26) They can’t sign anything yet, so your comment is meaningless.

29. NDogg
    10:10 am January 26, 2013 Permalink

I know it really seems unbelievable that teo could have been duped so completely, that he would have invested himself so deeply in a relationship that did not exist… until you remember that he’s a Mormon, and if he can be tricked into believing that con story, this little girlfriend saga makes total sense.

30. Levity
    11:30 am January 26, 2013 Permalink

#27 rivals.com ranks UK class #56. Scout.com ranks UK class #51.
    #28 agreed, one step at a time. The point of my comment was that the post called uk’s current commitment list “already exceptional”. No matter what rankings u look at, #37, #56, #51 ….none of those indicate “exceptional”. I hope and think Stoops will add players to raise our ranking. But right now uk’s class is near bottom of the sec and not near even top 25. Call it what it is….improved…. NOT exceptional.

31. TruCatFan
    12:16 pm January 26, 2013 Permalink

#29…so sorry i said signed, he re-committed the day after. I would love to have that guy but promise you he is going to USC.

32. Catlanta31
    12:38 pm January 26, 2013 Permalink

Teo is GAY-O! Why first anybody just ask him?? That dude-she dude was either his lover or his cover. Who cares if he is into dudes.

33. Joe
    2:12 pm January 26, 2013 Permalink

I agree with Dan. GCB is awful. They don’t even have their own beer so I don’t know why they call it a brewery. I went one time, terrible food & service & 2 of the four in our group got stomach flu the next day. Could have been coincidence but not likely. I was expecting something very different

34. dirty cat