Maker’s Mark sponsoring a new academic center at Louisville

Wake up, Louisville students. There is a big announcement coming today that will affect where you nap on campus.

Maker’s Mark and the University of Louisville have partnered to build the Academic Center of Excellence at Papa John’s Cardinal Stadium. Proceeds from the Charlie Strong commemorative bottle will go towards funding the project.

A few questions…

Should Kentucky fans be upset? Jealous?

Will this hurt Maker’s Mark’s sales?

Is it okay to have an alcohol-sponsored academic center? What about younger students?

Will desks have built-in pillows, blankets, and SleepMate noise machines for UofL football players?

Discuss…

Article written by Drew Franklin

67 Comments for Maker’s Mark sponsoring a new academic center at Louisville

1. Logic
    10:36 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

I wish we had an AD and Prez who knew how to get out there with the business world and make things happen. Get out from under your desk Barnhart.

2. Austin Hutchins
    10:37 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

This truly shows what UL is all about. Providing excellent facilities for their students and their athletes to abuse. I guess if the players sleep in this one… it could be considered alcohol abuse???

3. anthonyeppsdrivingschool
    10:40 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

I’m going back to woodford.

4. BBB
    10:42 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

3 – totally agree. I wish Woodford would start making commemerative bottles.

5. James Young
    10:47 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

Four Roses Small Batch is my pick for the money.

6. #Rise
    10:47 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

Just threw out the makers. Back to Jim Beam

7. BigBluSoTru
    10:48 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

The city of Louisville as much as we don’t want to admit it drives this state even our beloved Cal says this .It’s a numbers thing BBN. Matt stirring up crap trying to get us to boycott Makers mark grow up sometimes. Matt, you have the nerve to start these bs threads for crying out loud you live in Louisville yourself.Geez!

8. Tebkats
    10:49 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

Makes good business sense. As best as I can remember there is more than one university in the state of Kentucky. Although just not as good.

9. NoelGallagher
    10:50 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

Where was Crown Royal? That would be perfect marketing match!

10. These Cards Don't Fold
    10:52 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

It’s way better than basketball dorms named after Friends of Coal.

11. clint
    10:54 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

I will still drink makers. I have my Cal and Tim Couch bottles. and am an ambassador.

12. HawkeyeTim
    10:56 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

I have never understood the commemerative bottle thing. Why buy something to put on your shelf?

13. HeyIdiot
    11:00 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

7 good grief you sound like a moron. First off, Matt didn’t write this post, Drew did. Secondly, can you quote one sentence where “Matt” told us to boycott Makers? I doubt you are really a big blue fan, as your name infers. You sound like a Card douche.

14. Stuck in SC
    11:01 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

Really??? Liquor companies sponsoring buildings on campus?

That just seems wrong… Let L-ville have it, I don’t want it.

Don’t get me wrong… I love Maker’s Mark. Take a swig of Ale8 and fill the bottle the rest of the way with it and you have all sorts of Kentucky goodness. But this doesn’t seem like a good idea.

15. Energy
    11:01 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

Coal > Makers

16. 19YearOld
    11:02 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

Do I have to be 21 to get into the facility?

17. Bourbon
    11:04 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

Woodford Reserve already is a huge sponsor of the YUM center, they have the bar in the suite seating area.

18. beaviisadouche
    11:06 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

Well, I always thought Maker’s was overrated,just like UL. I will just continue drinkng my Bulleit Bourbon.

19. Head Bussa
    11:07 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

14 — I tend to agree. The very same thing that keeps most students out of the classroom or in trouble has its name on the academic center. Also, the YUM Center is just one big live-action sports bar — it looks like a damn casino with blinking lights EVERYWHERE, but instead of promoting games the lights are promoting alcohol. I just don’t think it’s right in a place where there are mostly kids playing the games.

20. Head Bussa
    11:08 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

I will not drink Maker’s anymore though. At least for a few years.

21. Juan4UK
    11:09 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

Bunk Beds?

22. Simple Minds
    11:09 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

Im a die hard UK fan but i hope some of r fans arent so simple minded to boycot MM! Bourbon is generally a Kentucky brand of whiskey not a UK brand, MM should support all state schools! This isn’t papa John’s naming a football stadium it’s acadimics (and UL needs all the help they can in this area) in my Allen Iverson voice “we talking academic’s not sports not sports but academic’s !” but the few that do boycot prob drink Evan Williams

23. John Wall
    11:09 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

who gives a shit..

24. It's a Card Knock Life
    11:12 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

19 – easy to say when your facilities are crap and your prohibited from selling alcohol at the games. You don’t think it’s right in a place where there are mostly kids playing the games? Have you been to a UK football tailgate…it’s one big underage binge!

25. bluefan
    11:12 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

Boo to MM!
    That photo is all kinds of awesome. Looks like the guy in front has been or is getting ready to suck his thumb too.

26. Head Bussa
    11:14 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

Fortune Brands — the parent company of Jim BEam — also produces the Makers Mark brand. Fortune is the parent company of many brands such as Kahlua, Dunkin Donuts, Baskin Robbins, etc. Conglomerates run the world these days as we move one step closer to a new world order.

27. Kentucky Gentleman
    11:17 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

5 – Definitely the best in that price range.

28. steve
    11:18 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

This photo is so racist.

29. Larry
    11:20 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

Markers has the right to do what they want with their money. I have the right to longer spend my money on Makers products. I will exercise that right

30. WINNIN9
    11:22 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

@24, alcoholc sales are prohibited at most MAJOR conference athletic events. Have fun drinking beer watching Temple.

31. Booyakasha!
    11:25 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

Screw Fortune brands altogether. Proceeds from 250 Charlie Strong bottles sold? Really?

32. Simple Minds
    11:29 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

@29 u also have the right to b a dumb ass… Congrats!

33. BigBluSoTru
    11:29 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

#13 are you not listening to the show today, are you not reading some of these post .Sounds like bbn is in an uproar. And you are the idiot to think Matt, doesn’t approve these or have anything to do with these articles lol. I’ve seen enough Uk bb over my life span to have alot of common sense now. i have growed up from the stupidity.

34. justwow
    11:30 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

28 . . . this photo is a photo . . . what you infer from it may stem from your racist thoughts, or what someone captions the picture may result in a racist statement but the picture is just a picture. Pictures don’t lie, they just reveal a moment in time.

35. BBN
    11:40 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

The city of Louisville is flush with corporate donors and sponsors (KFC and UPS among others). Who do we have in Lexington? We have a billion dollar + thoroughbred horse industry that is stingy towards UK athletics. We have very few corporate donors and sponsors because the horse industry has thwarted economic development and growth in central kentucky for decades. Think about how long it took just to get an extra runway at Bluegrass Field airport. It took a threat from the airlines to stop using Bluegrass Field to push the city to take action. Sad to say, but in the last 20 years Lexington has improved very little. UK will never be able to have the same level of athletic and academic facilities as UL as long as development and economic progress continue to be thwarted by the horse industry.

36. HeyIdiot
    11:43 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

33 No I’m not listening because I have work to do. I do get to check the internet but I don’t have time to listen to the show. And your comment that I responded to said Matt started these threads…threads meaning posts on internet, not radio show. I highly doubt Matt reads every post others make before they are sent to the site. I admit I don’t exactly know how they run their site but I don’t believe Matt proofreads and sends his approval before every post on here. It’s ironic when you say I am the idiot and end your post with “i have growed up”. Have you growed up or grown up?

37. ohhai
    11:45 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

#1 UL may be leaving UK in the dust in terms of facilities,oh and they also know how to hire a coordinator from an elite program, but our womens golf team is on the #R1S3. Give Mitch his credit.

38. johnwaynelives
    11:49 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

Classic…

39. BBN
    11:54 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

I used to blame Mitch Barnhart for the poor facilities and funding issues, but now I realize that he is not to blame. The barriers to funding are very real and tie his hands. It isn’t Mitch’s fault that Lexington does not have big corporate donors like UL has or that his boss (Capilouto) wants to starve the football program. I blame Mitch for the poor hiring decisions he has made during his tenure – Billy Gilispie & Joker Philips.

40. jpgott2
    12:13 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

The Maker’s Mark academic facility is hilarious to me considering that an ALCOHOL producer is sponsoring the construction of and ACADEMIC facility, that will house underage bodies. Does that make sense?

41. Rick P
    12:24 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

I think a Louisville-based Makers arbortion clinic is in need. Just my humble opinion.

42. jpgott2
    12:24 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

UL has the UL Athletic Foundation, which allows UL to get more state bonding for projects. UL does not even bring in 1 billion in revenue every year, while UK outdoes UL by $1 billion. They blow money on all kinds of athletic facilities, while UK packages University projects in with their athletic upgrades (for bonding), which is why UK struggles to get athletic upgrades.

This is why UK as a university is looks like Harvard compared to UL academically. Oh, and I will be paying for the YUM center with my taxes, once UL defaults on their bond payments (which they are struggling with).

43. UKBlue
    12:26 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

1. Good for Turtle Neck – God knows UL needs all the help they can get.
    2. The fact UL has to beg for money is kinda sad since their Alumni don’t give back to UL.
    3. Having an alcohol company sponsor something on a college campus is weird but this is UL so it
    makes sense. UL has to sell themselves to alcohol company’s to make any money.
    4. UL can add whatever building they want, you’re still at UL & it still sucks !! It’s still a
    commuter college with ugly women & a joke of a Greek system.
    5. Maker’s Mark is totally overrated, and they are willing to play both sides & try kissing both
    fans asses.

44. Bluey
    12:33 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

It’s fitting for the most alcoholic fanbase in the country.

45. Yngvie Maumsteen.
    12:40 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

Wow another UL story on a UK site. What a shock.

46. UofLfan
    1:00 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

I hear ya Yngvie…it’s unfathomable that a UK site would post stories on their biggest in-state rival. Makes zero sense. The writers on this site should only mention UK and never any other schools at all – it’s a UK site afterall! Gosh and they tend to pick on UofL more than any other school. Must be because we make it so easy for them to make fun of us. One day we will be as awesome as they are and they’ll have nothing to make fun of. L yeah!

47. Rixter
    1:08 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

How did Louisville’s starting front court all get in the same class?

48. Rich Brooks
    1:14 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

Hey guys, remember when Makers put me on a bottle even though I have an overall losing record at uk and never had a winning season in the sec?

49. Sure
    1:31 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

yes Rich we do remember that. We also remember when they put Charlie Strong on a bottle with a record of 8-6 in the crappy Big East conference. What do both of these things mean? Answer: that Makers wants to make money from both fan bases, not commemorate sports excellence.

50. CN2 Sports Hiring/Firing Department
    1:36 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

It’s amazing, the picture the BBN bloggers here paint of their school and its fans.

51. Phillies
    1:38 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

We are pleased to announce our collaboration with UofL for the soon-to-be constructed Phillies Blunt UofL Student Recreational Center. Abel will be constructing this state-of-the-art center by the end of the year. L yeah Card fans, but your blunts in the air!

52. Phillies
    1:39 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

*put. I can’t believe we messed up our press release. I guess we need to put the blunt down when typing.

53. CN2 Sports Hiring/Firing Department
    1:42 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

We hope to one day have as many Card fans watch our show as you guys have reading this site. They probably visit as much as UK fans. How do you do it? Oh you just post an article on them and they come running? Easy enough. Thanks for the help!

54. CN2 Sports Hiring/Firing Department
    1:48 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

But unfortunately, we see this site has a retention problem.

Our employment decisions are made based on differing target markets and long-term goals.

Our studies suggest Fact: The more intellectual BBN fans find Matt and his landfill blogs to very annoying over the long-term.

55. CN2 Sports Hiring/Firing Department
    2:05 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

We are trying to help this site out with it’s retention problems, as evidenced by our continuous posts on this site. If we were to stop commenting, this site would get slightly less traffic, and we apparently do not want that. Our program will be obsolete soon, as it has become obvious that no one cares about us anymore.

Fact: We will be hiring a new publicist soon, as our current one fails to proofread their posts.

56. Barney Fife
    2:30 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

Hmmmmm a booze company giving $$$ to Lil Brother for academics..What is wrong with that statement? sounds crooked to me..

57. Grammar!
    2:30 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

We know when… and why… people center their point(s) around grammar usage. One thing we know for sure when this occurs. The reader/responder did get the obvious point of the post and had little in response, but felt like they needed to respond nevertheless. Our hiring department’s original point was never acknowledged. Nice work, as usual, jokers.

58. jill
    2:31 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

LOL…and who made the Calapri bottle? That was OK though, right?

59. plans are nice
    3:03 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

56 – This doesn’t look like giving money to the CARDS. http://www.uoflsports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/072412aab.html Sounds like they just have a plan of expansion and know how to get there. Unlike the backwards people in lexghanistan…

60. rainman
    4:10 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

Beds cost lots of money, so quit haten!!!

61. jill
    4:59 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

Looks like we just have have a aggressive AD….

62. Ratchet
    5:47 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

Bill Samuels, Sr. and his wife graduated from UofL..probably explains red wax and this push to expand academics…not much different than Joe Craft, other than name of the business. They do plenty for UK, let em build the little study room.

63. YeaBuddy
    6:08 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

If this idea is such a joke to make fun of UL then why was Matt talking about how UK should do the same in his podcast, also no where have I red that Makers Mark is sponsoring or putting their name on the building they are simply donating money for it. If the SEC wasn’t dry then I believe Woodford/Makers would have more of an impact/sponsorship/endowment with UK.

64. YeaBuddy
    6:08 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

*read

65. Woodford Guy
    8:45 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

Not gonna bother me at all.

66. The photographer
    10:24 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

I love when they use my photo!

67. Bhtxcatfan
    10:24 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

I hear your message ” Head Bussa Says” loud and clear. Rebel and fight.