Makayla Epps flips her commitment

Not even one week after Tick Rogers’ daughter flipped her commitment from Louisville to UK, Anthony Epps’ daughter did the same thing. Makayla Epps committed to Matthew Mitchell and UK Hoops today after reopening her recruitment last week. She had previously given her commitment to play at Louisville.

Epps is the No. 15 prospect in the nation and the top point guard, according to the All-Star Girls Report rankings.

Go UK Hoops

Article written by Drew Franklin

35 Comments for Makayla Epps flips her commitment

1. TypicalLouivilleFan
    2:01 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

obviously CashCal has taught some tricks o’ the trade to MMitchell

2. Aaron C Bunch
    2:01 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

The only thing more satisfying that smacking around the Dirty Birds is having their recruits leave them and come to Kentucky. Glorious. Go Cats!

3. bigbluejon
    2:03 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

Nice!

4. jpgott2
    2:04 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

This is soooo funny!!! Coach Mitchell has stolen 2 committed recruits from UL. Tooo funny.

5. dick gosinia
    2:09 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

Of course, we all know that UL didn’t want them anyway so no big loss……hahahahaha

6. marion county resident
    2:13 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

This is great news, now I can start rooting for them both. 🙂

7. Forrest
    2:22 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

Wow! She looks just like her daddy!

8. Linda Taylor
    2:23 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

I saw somewhere that she’s 5’11” too, which, if true, is tall for a female point guard. One of the perennial problems of our women’s team has been our small size. Matthew Mitchell is flat out getting it done in recruiting and on the court. I wish we didn’t have to wait a whole year to cheer her in Memorial. We are going to have an incredible back court with her and McDonalds All Americans Jen O’Neill, and Jannee Thompson as our point guards.

9. MC
    2:26 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

Starting off UL Hate Week early haha you have got to LOVE IT!!!

10. UKBlue
    2:27 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

Why in the world was she even thinking about going to UL in the first place.

11. Linda Taylor
    2:32 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

10-Maybe because UK already has 2 McDonalds All Americans at PG, 1 a redshirt soph and 1 a true freshman. Matthew Mitchell must have been able to show her how he will be able to incorporate her into his game plan.
    at any rate this is very exciting.

12. Musehobo
    2:33 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

I don’t care what anyone says. I will always love those shorts.

13. Linda Taylor
    2:38 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

12-I will always love how they played while they were wearing those shorts.

14. LlcoolJ
    2:49 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

she’s 5’11 with the total package of ball handling skills if you’ve never seen her play you wouldn’t know this. She can play anywhere. Shooting guard or small forward. She’s the real deal & her teamate Kyvin Goodin-Rogers is a force to be reckond with in the Low post.

15. Dustin
    2:54 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

UK Hoops has a shot to be in the Final Four next year, and taking top recruits from UL makes it that much better!

16. OneAndDone
    3:04 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

Mitchell killing’ it. I love it

17. Linda Taylor
    3:05 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

14-I was just reading that somewhere else. It said she really excelled at ball-handling. We’ll still have Jen O’Neill, Janee Thompson, Bria Goss, Bernisha Pinckett, DeNesha Stallworth, Jelleah Sidney, Meagan Conwright, Samarie Walker, Samantha Drake, Kastine Evans, and Azia Bishop during their freshman year! That will be one heck of a team.

18. LlcoolJ
    3:32 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

17 – Yes I am from Marion co. watch both of them play throughout their years. When Kyvin played samatha she showed out. Putting both of them on the same team WOW. & Makayla even if not starting coming off the bench will be a huge asset. Women’s basketball will be more exciting for the bluegrass in the years to come!

19. WindyCity Cat
    3:39 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

Damn, Cal is a good recruiter. Someone notify Thamel and Goodman, something shady must be going on.

20. BBN
    3:39 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

Just heard she might be wearing number 25 as well.. “Stuntin’ Like her Daddy”
    Might as well get a Championship as well “Like her Daddy”
    Once a Cat always a Cat!

21. Linda Taylor
    3:54 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

18-The way Matthew Mitchell subs in waves, I’m sure both Marion County girls will get their share of PT. The speed and aggressive defense UKHoops has become known for requires liberal substitution to keep players fresh. It also wears down their opponents very similar to when Makayla’s dad was playing for UK. I hope you’ll be able to get season tickets to UKHoops to continue to watch Makayla’s and Kyvinn’s progress.

22. LlcoolJ
    4:01 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

Yes, I can not wait!

23. Linda Taylor
    4:04 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

22-Already ordered ours for this year!

24. Stmitch
    4:15 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

Nice little start to Louisville hate week…eat a big one card fans!

25. MemphisCat
    5:52 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

Looks like Coach Mitchell is going to install his own “Dribble Drive” offense for the girls and has convinced them that the team 1st theory works, look at what Cal did on the boys side. I also think there might be some issues going on at lil brothers program, maybe Ricky is messing with the lady cards.

26. duh
    6:14 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

I love it I love it I love it…I am so glad they both chose UK. Coach Cal and Coach Mitchell are the Dynamic Duo.

27. bluristhurr
    6:38 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

Womens team keeps on getting stronger and prettier every year

28. woody's barber
    7:01 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

I too am from Marion County and have known Makayla for a long time. Have a cousin that played there with her and I coached hef several yearss ago. I used to tease her a lot about the lville commitment. Even have a pic of her with lville hoodie on and me with uk. Could not be more proud of her accomplishments and now playing for coach mitchell at uk. I will be at many uk womens games now just like i was at mens games when her daddy played for the men.

29. High Point Cat Fan
    7:14 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

27 – Truth!!!!! Have you seen the Picture Day shots? What a nice-looking group of young ladies!!!!

30. 2020
    9:38 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

Anthony Epps is perhaps the most underrated Cats to play in the post-probation era.

31. BECCA GREENWELL
    9:54 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

Mitchell needs to get Owensboro Catholic’s Becca Greenwell

32. Linda Taylor
    10:08 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

31-If you are Becca Greenwell, and you are a senior in high school this year, you are probably out of luck. I think UK is now out of scholarships to offer this year’s senior class.

33. skinman
    10:19 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

32-Becca Greenwell is going to Duke or Notre Dame. My niece goes to school with her and is one of her best friends. She is going to Duke or Notre Dame more because of academics than basketball.

34. Linda Taylor
    10:25 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

33-I was just trying to be helpful to 31, in case she was Becca Greenwell, to whom I wish nothing but the best wherever she attends college.

35. Blue Moon of KY
    10:46 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

Love me some Coach Mitchell and Kentucky home breds.