Luke Winn predicts a letdown season followed by big 2013-2014

It’s that time again when the national media trots out their predictions for the coming year in college basketball. Sports Illustrated’s Luke Winn gets a head start with 10 predictions for 2013, including Louisville winning the national title, conference realignment and a letdown season for the Cats, followed by an epic 2013-2014:

Kentucky won’t recover in time to win the SEC or make a Final Four run … but they’ll open 2013-14 at No. 1. The Wildcats have plenty of room to improve, but their offense seems too flawed to ever be dominant. This feels like a “finish third in the SEC, get knocked out in the Sweet 16” kind of season, which, while a letdown, will be incentive for at least two of their freshmen to stay out of the NBA draft. They’ll then serve as key contributors on a team heavily favored to win the 2014 title. John Calipari’s next recruiting class, with the Harrison twins, James Young and (very likely) Andrew Wiggins, should fix all of UK’s offensive issues.

While I would argue that it’s hard to know anything about this team’s fate right now (they seem like a different squad each night), there is some comfort in being able to look ahead to brighter days if things go south come March. Especially if those days include Mr. “Very Likely,” Andrew Wiggins.

34 Comments for Luke Winn predicts a letdown season followed by big 2013-2014

1. catfandan
    1:02 pm December 27, 2012 Permalink

1st

2. Musehobo
    1:12 pm December 27, 2012 Permalink

While I hate to lose, a down season after a NC isn’t the worst thing in the world. I’d rather have a great season this year, but if we return a few extra players, next year would be ridiculous. However, I’m not ready to write off this season, way too early for that.

3. UKBlue
    1:14 pm December 27, 2012 Permalink

The way these kids are playing, no one on UK current roster has any business putting their name in the NBA draft.

4. Sammydog
    1:16 pm December 27, 2012 Permalink

Archie, Alex, and Noel remain high on draft boards. Who knows what they will do.

5. IowaCat
    1:19 pm December 27, 2012 Permalink

#4 Archie, Alex and Nerlens will all enter the draft

6. TampaCat
    1:21 pm December 27, 2012 Permalink

Do you feel this years team is feeling the pressure from last years and next years team?

7. Louisville Kentucky Mortgage
    1:22 pm December 27, 2012 Permalink

Tend to agree with him

8. Heisenberg
    1:22 pm December 27, 2012 Permalink

Chuck Klosterman (sp?) At grantland predicts UK 6 sees in tourney that then reaches national title game. I am okay with that

9. Jughead
    1:27 pm December 27, 2012 Permalink

I reserve judgment until at least 5 SEC games have been played. These guys may man up and go on a run.

10. TAXman
    1:32 pm December 27, 2012 Permalink

9. If you reserved judgement for the 2010-2011 final four team until after 5 SEC games, what would you have said?

11. tom
    1:35 pm December 27, 2012 Permalink

Luke nails it pretty well. Anyone can see this is no better than Sweet 16 team.

12. RaleighCat
    1:38 pm December 27, 2012 Permalink

Luke Winn seems about right as of today. A lot can happen but that’s where I’d predict our finish based on what I’ve seen so far.

As for the NBA talk, here’s the problem- There is going to be a draft and it’s going to be weaker than last year. Someone is going to draft Noel, Goodwin and Poythress and it’s going to be much higher than their talents warrant. But it’s going to happen and you can’t blame the kids for taking the guaranteed riches and leaving early. That’s the system and it’s not changing anytime soon.

13. MemphisCat
    1:47 pm December 27, 2012 Permalink

Alex, Harrow, Kyle, and Willie all return next year. Along with what comes in it will be a very good year.

14. H.A. Milton
    1:58 pm December 27, 2012 Permalink

The NBA draft is the biggest reason these kids are playing like they are. Poythress’ eyes are glazed over and he has dollar signs floating in his pupils. Goodwin has been trying to balance the role the team needed him to play with displaying his skills for NBA scouts. Though, Harrow is getting it together at a faster pace than I would have ever expected (after the early shenanigans) which is giving this team the opportunity to right the ship. This team still has the potential to be the best team in the country and will be one of the scariest teams in the tourney. Noel, Goodwin, and Poythress are all definitely gone after this year and possibly Wiltjer, Cauley-Stein, and Harrow too.

Nice surprise to hear what Wynn thinks about Wiggins, I think Randle is coming too. Good luck trying to decide if last year’s team or next years is better when its all said and done.

15. RaleighCat
    2:04 pm December 27, 2012 Permalink

#14- Wiltjer isn’t close to being an NBA player. Not even close. Not draftable.
    Harrow might play in the NBA one day, maybe. Not close yet to being draftable.
    WCS is interesting. His size alone will get teams interested but he’s even more raw right now than Daniel Orton was at this stage. WCS is getting minutes but has ZERO offensive skillset aside from hustle buckets. As of today I don’t see him as a first rounder which is the only way a 7 footer should consider leaving.

16. jymbo
    2:04 pm December 27, 2012 Permalink

He makes a valid point, I agree.

17. tyrus
    2:07 pm December 27, 2012 Permalink

Lukey, no team wins it every year. Way to go out on the limb there.

18. brain
    2:15 pm December 27, 2012 Permalink

Wiggins and Randle will be Cats.

19. Jim
    2:16 pm December 27, 2012 Permalink

It’s way to early to make reasonable predictions. The Knight team wasn’t that good until the tourney. I’ll reserve my predictions until then. These guys are young, and are getting to know each other, Cal, and the BBN. Give them some room to make mistakes and grow. And don’t forget, success in the tourney hangs largely upon match ups and who is hot enough to win six games, not to mention injuries; eg, UNC last year). In addition to these variables, remember we were right in the Duke game (perhaps the best team in the country). CATS need support not superhero expectations.

20. Jughead
    2:17 pm December 27, 2012 Permalink

#10: Learn how to spell “judgment” and I will respond. Meanwhile, go sit in the corner and try to matter.

21. Bleed Blue
    2:22 pm December 27, 2012 Permalink

Aaron Gordon is 100% on board he is just waiting till spring to decide. Randle is not coming to UK unless Wiggins and Gordon go else where and obviously after what I said about Gordon that’s not going to happen. Gordon as of now is our number 1 target even ahead of Wiggins, why do you think Cal has gone to watch Gordon in Houston and Wiggins is in our backyard yet he won’t make the trip to watch him? As yesterday I was told there is a very good chance we get Wiggins and Gordon, but there is a lot of time left till their decisions and in recruiting things change daily.

22. H.A. Milton
    2:24 pm December 27, 2012 Permalink

@Raleigh, I don’t disagree with your assessment at all. But the NBA has really been drafting on ‘potential’ so I think Wiltjer and Cauley-Stein are the type of guys that will really benefit from that climate. I mean, they both have way more potential in the NBA than Orton if you ask me. I feel like if Harrow continues to turn it up, he could be a similar case to Teague (not draft position, but just in terms of his decision) and I see Harrow going if he hears even second round interest.

Regarding all the predictions for the rest of the season, it is what it is, but now that the team has the guard sitch on track, if Poythress wakes up it is a wrap, there is no team that has as many weapons a the CATS would (not to mention WCS still has some waking up potential, as you elude to @Raliegh)

23. IowaCat
    2:29 pm December 27, 2012 Permalink

Not to take anything away from the Knight team, I loved that team, but lets not forget they were a Brandon Knight late layup away from losing to Princeton in the 1st round of the tourney. This years team could go to final four or get knocked off in the first round. I am going to enjoy watching them develop no matter what, this is the greatest time to be a UK fan, we aren’t going to win a title every year, but even being able to compete for one is a blessing.

24. IowaCat
    2:30 pm December 27, 2012 Permalink

oh and kyle wiltjer isn’t going anywhere, he can’t guard any position in the NBA

25. TampaCat
    2:33 pm December 27, 2012 Permalink

21. You said: Aaron Gordon is 100% on board he is just waiting till spring to decide. Then you said, I was told there is a very good chance we get Wiggins and Gordon, but there is a lot of time left till their decisions and in recruiting things change daily. Sounds like you are waiting and watching like the rest of us….

26. brain
    2:50 pm December 27, 2012 Permalink

Gordon will go to UA.

27. big cat
    3:32 pm December 27, 2012 Permalink

guys, i got a question. with the twins and james young coming next year, what do you think harrow will do? SERIOUSLY.

28. Paul in Frankfort
    3:43 pm December 27, 2012 Permalink

#21 & #25: “Aaron Gordon is 100% on board he is just waiting till spring to decide.”

How does that sentence make sense to you? Just wondering.

29. Paul in Frankfort
    3:44 pm December 27, 2012 Permalink

27) That’s my biggest concern. Harrow certainly won’t make it to the NBA, which means he’ll be here for 2 more years. He will NOT start over Aa. Harrison…. so will there be chemistry issues? I wish he’d transfer (i know, shhh..)

30. James
    3:57 pm December 27, 2012 Permalink

Potthress to the NBA seriously?! I hope he doesn’t enter. He’s NOWHERE NEAR Terrence jones level and he’s in the d league. I don’t care what the nba boards say he is a FOOL if he thinks he’s ready.

31. Mountaintop
    5:13 pm December 27, 2012 Permalink

I been screaming since early November…… – Sweet 16. That’s not awful folks. Next year is a title team.

32. Jimmy D
    6:03 pm December 27, 2012 Permalink

What wizardry Tyler! You and the KSR bunch are really sharp reporting that this year will be a letdown. Come on! Is this really what Mommy and Daddy paid for with your UK journalism degree? BTW, did UK communications college ever become accredited?

33. kentuckyjoe
    8:39 pm December 27, 2012 Permalink

I think we win it all again this year.

34. brand
    1:56 am December 28, 2012 Permalink

nice a really powerful source of information added to tweetmeme thankx