Lucas Witt leaving baseball team to play football

Lucas Witt

Outfielder Lucas Witt has decided to give up baseball to walk on to the football team. The former high school quarterback will join the team as a wide receiver and have two seasons of eligibility remaining.

Witt was a standout quarterback in high school, receiving All-State honors in 2008 and 2009, and was a U.S. Army Football All-American nominee. As a baseball player, he started in the corner outfield postion and showed off great speed and instincts. He’ll bring some immediate help to an area the football team needs it the most.

24 Comments for Lucas Witt leaving baseball team to play football

1. Fillyb
    1:06 pm June 5, 2013 Permalink

Dead-Give-A-Way….STOOPS TROOPS!!

2. UK
    1:17 pm June 5, 2013 Permalink

Giving up a Baseball Scholarship to Walk On for football….bold strategy Cotton.

3. JBR
    1:20 pm June 5, 2013 Permalink

How about a bit of information on the kid…for those of us who do not study UK baseball…where was he from? His star ranking? Etc…I looked on rivals and couldn’t find him.

4. SeaCat
    1:22 pm June 5, 2013 Permalink

yeah, how tall? how fast?

5. BBN#1
    1:22 pm June 5, 2013 Permalink

#3 he went to lca graduated in 2010 kid is an athlete but never heard of in football was drafted out of highschool for baseball so if he was on rivals itd be baseball not football

6. NineWillBeFine
    1:30 pm June 5, 2013 Permalink

Lucas Witt- cool story, bro

7. Rei
    1:38 pm June 5, 2013 Permalink

he is 6’1″ 190 lbs

8. Rockfield, KY
    1:43 pm June 5, 2013 Permalink

Some guys just have all the talent I guess

9. bleedblueky
    2:09 pm June 5, 2013 Permalink

FYI his dad was Head of the Lexington Fire Dept, his mom is the current Fayette County Sheriff Kathy Witt and he is very, very athletic 🙂

10. UK Wildcat
    2:21 pm June 5, 2013 Permalink

All I know is that I beat him in laser tag during my 9th birthday party at Laser Quest.

The trick is to use the mirrors.

11. Prreston
    2:38 pm June 5, 2013 Permalink

Anybody who can catch something is welcomed.

12. Stangluvr
    2:40 pm June 5, 2013 Permalink

Great kid and GREAT athlete!!!! Hate to see him leave the baseball team though.

13. Scouting Report
    2:44 pm June 5, 2013 Permalink

Scouting report: Raw athletic skills. Speed, hand-eye coordination, and agility. Team player with great attitude. Suffered under Brian Green’s hitting strategy, not because Witt was poor, but rather because Green is terrible and should be fired. #ActNowMitch

14. cdc_uky
    2:44 pm June 5, 2013 Permalink

Stoops recruiting trail starts on campus. Hope this kid turns into something special on the football field. He is not too tall…maybe a slot receiver…high volume reception guy. I do not pretend to know the offense so I am just stereotyping the shizz out of this white WR. Sorry about that but they were my immediate thoughts.

15. Nothing but the truth
    2:56 pm June 5, 2013 Permalink

I’m sorry but you need to stick to the tweet beat. Corner outfield post? You have no idea who this kid is, or anything about his game, but somehow he will bring immediate help to the WR position. Stop stretching and write what you know, AKA the tweet beat. Bad post, but that is the norm for you!

16. Hater Alert
    3:40 pm June 5, 2013 Permalink

Stop being a hater #15.

17. Linda Taylor
    3:46 pm June 5, 2013 Permalink

The following is excerpted from the LHL Class of the Commonwealth from Witt’s senior year:

Credentials: Witt has signed to play baseball at Kentucky, but he could have been a college quarterback. He took the QB reins at LCA early in his freshman year, and there was no stopping him as a passer or a runner. He was the triggerman for one of the most explosive offenses in the state. The Eagles’ ability to score was the prime reason they were state runners-up in 2007 and champs this season. As a senior, Witt threw for 2,318 yards and 34 TDs and ran for 584 yards and nine TDs. For his career, he passed for 9,312 yards (ninth on the state’s all-time list) and 112 TDs (ninth all-time).

18. Garmaster
    3:49 pm June 5, 2013 Permalink

Where would he rank on a list of UK’s all time “corner outfielders”? Who do you guys think are some of the best to ever play the corner outfield position?

19. Brian
    4:03 pm June 5, 2013 Permalink

Didn’t Willie Caulie Stein play wide reciever in High School? Just saying!

20. Blue To The Bone..
    4:23 pm June 5, 2013 Permalink

From what I understand LC isn’t the only one leaving the team…MB made a serious mistake extending Henderson’s contract to 2017 with a nice raise…I think I am correct in that in the six yrs he has been hc the team has only made the ncaa’s once..in 2014 they will probably field the worst team in the conference..

21. TrackCoach
    5:52 pm June 5, 2013 Permalink

Do you all believe that this kid will realisticly play…..tagging him as the savior of the WR’s is a bit much, dont ya think?

22. excitedfan
    8:39 pm June 5, 2013 Permalink

Just to add on…I watched this kid play football in high school, and he killed it. 99% positive he runs a sub 4.5 and he’s elusive as hell. If he can catch the ball and catch on to the offense…look out. Not saying he’ll start or anything but dude’s not lacking on talent. Really excited about this addition. Also, the baseball staff sucks huge _____ and should be fired. Go Cats!! Watch this link if you want an exhibition of his athleticism… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIBCjwJCTLI

23. Wildcat fan
    9:09 pm June 5, 2013 Permalink

I personally went to high school with Lucas and I can tell you right now he will be a differnce maker! The kid is a freak athlete and will contribute immediately!

24. I do not think that he should be afraid of the WR’s UK has coming back.