Louisville Hate Day’s Late Thursday Night Notes

KSR’s fifth annual Louisville Hate Day is in the books and we’re calling it a success. #LouisvilleHateDay was trending nationwide throughout the day, ESPNU’s new show Unite called it the No.1 buzzworthy topic of the day, and everyone seemed to have a good time poking fun at the Cards with tweets and comments on the site. If you haven’t read all of the posts from our writers, I encourage you to scroll through to catch up on what you missed; I think it was our best work to date. If nothing else, just scroll down to see the return of the Turkey Hunter for his annual contribution. It was great, as always.

You’ll have to forgive me this evening but I’m going to run through tonight’s notes rather quickly so I can go to bed. I’ve been up for almost 40 hours (#teamnosleep) and I’m struggling to hold my eyes open. Hopefully someone will jump in and finish it up if I fall asleep before I get it done.

Let’s go…

The football opener is just days away but the biggest news from Thursday came from basketball. After teasing us by sneaking onto campus yesterday, Kentucky fans can now almost give up on adding Dez Wells to the 2012-13 roster. It’s looking like the former Xavier guard will be taking his talents elsewhere. Wells arrived in Memphis for a visit late Thursday night after spending part of Wednesday and Thursday on an unofficial visit in Lexington. UK would’ve needed to nab a commitment while he was on campus in order to get him enrolled in classes by the Friday deadline. Wells will visit Maryland later in the weekend and then announce his decision next week.

Tickets for the UK basketball Alumni Charity Game at Rupp Arena go on sale Friday, beginning at 10:00 a.m. ET.

From UKAthletics.com:

Prior to the alumni game, members of the 1996 UK National Championship team will be playing an all-star team from the John Calipari Fantasy Experience at Rupp Arena. Derek Anderson, Anthony Epps, Walter McCarty, Jared Prickett, Jeff Sheppard, Wayne Turner and Antoine Walker are already confirmed to participate.

Doors to Rupp Arena will open at 11 a.m. so that fans can see both the 1996 team as well as the alumni charity game set to tip off at 2 p.m. ET.

All seats are reserved and priced at $100 (premium lower level), $40 (lower level) and $20 (upper level). Tickets can be purchased only at the Rupp Arena box office, online at Ticketmaster.com, at any Ticketmaster Outlet or by phone at 1-800-745-3000. There is a four-ticket limit per person. Online orders and phone orders will have additional fees attached. All proceeds from the game will go to charity.

Will Matt Jones make the Fantasy Experience All-Star team? He’ll be the youngest guy there, so he better.

If there is a piece of wood anywhere near you, I ask that you knock on it as you read this quote from Joker Phillips about his team’s health.

“This is as healthy as we have been in 25 years of coaching,” Phillips said after Thursday’s practice. “A lot of that has to do with us being a little bit more athletic, a little bit stronger and we aren’t all over the ground and we understand how to practice. A lot of that has to do with our older guys teaching the younger guys how to practice.”

Knock. Knock. Knock. Knock. Knock.

CBSSports.com’s eight football experts picked Louisville to win the Governor’s Cup. It’s not going to be a good look for the website’s credibility when all of its experts are wrong.

Kent State’s Andre Parker returned a fumble 60 yards in the wrong direction.

It would’ve been so much funnier if he had returned it all the way back for a safety.

Vanderbilt got hosed on that pass interference call.

From the courtroom, Michael Porter pleaded not guilty on Thursday to charges of sodomy and sexual abuse. He’s scheduled to return to court for a status hearing on October 26.

Matt and I will be doing Friday’s radio show from Fan Outfitters in The Summit tomorrow morning. Come out and challenge me in Paper, Rock, Scissors for a shot at a free prize.

Here is your Louisville Hate Day podcast…

Franklin, out.

ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz…..

Article written by Drew Franklin

33 Comments for Louisville Hate Day’s Late Thursday Night Notes

1. Dr. Funke
    11:34 pm August 30, 2012 Permalink

Towson players were just as stupid for knocking him out of bounds!

2. Sypher's aborted fetus
    11:37 pm August 30, 2012 Permalink

Great job KSR…best Louisville Hate Day ever!!!!!!!

3. kentuckyjoe
    11:39 pm August 30, 2012 Permalink

Louisville Hate Day sucked big time. What an effing waste. It’s strange how I sorta find myself rooting for the Cards after this day of vitriol.

4. Dr. Funke
    11:39 pm August 30, 2012 Permalink

BTW, SC beats Vandy with only 67 yrds passing… In other news, SC might be the most over rated team in the country behind UofL.

5. Appreciateit
    11:41 pm August 30, 2012 Permalink

You deserve a raise! Hope Matt realizes just how talented you are.

6. Dr. Funke
    11:42 pm August 30, 2012 Permalink

Oh yeah, and Louisville hate day was absolutely epic this year!! Good job crew!

7. Lucas
    11:54 pm August 30, 2012 Permalink

Take a bow, and take your rest, Mr. Franklin. You’ve earned it.

8. BPsycho
    11:54 pm August 30, 2012 Permalink

“someone will jump in and finish it up if I fall asleep before I get it done.”

if I had a nickle….

9. Paducah Boy
    11:57 pm August 30, 2012 Permalink

Thank you Drew for a wonderful #LouisvilleHateDay. I laughed all day long. You are crazy creative. Thank you again.

10. iucansuckabigblue.....
    12:10 am August 31, 2012 Permalink

Awesome work. What a day. I’m off to layout my all BLUE outfit for tomorrow. I even got a fresh pair of blue socks.

As always , Go Big Blue!!!

11. JCPostel
    12:30 am August 31, 2012 Permalink

Please find and add South Carolinas TE #87 Justice Cunningham’s catch to a thread. He was hit illegally, lost his helmet, still held on to the ball, and then got up and walked around the field like he was looking for someones face to eat. The guy is a monster and it was a legit top 10 catch of the year in the first game of the season… Unreal.

12. Sad cat
    12:31 am August 31, 2012 Permalink

Drew is a comic genius,
    But Joker is not any kind of genius.
    Let’s get this over with ASAP
    No joke

13. BPsycho
    1:26 am August 31, 2012 Permalink

#11 Yeaaaaaaahh get some!

Doesn’t show him getting up but still oh so sick. Lil dude that hit him was more shakin then he was.

14. Football official
    5:01 am August 31, 2012 Permalink

On the Kent State play, where did the officials spot the ball. Because that was not a fumble, that was what is called a muff. It was never possessed, so therefore cannot be a fumble. It was a muffed punt and a muffed scrimmage kick cannot be advanced by the kicking team. Although it was advanced in the wrong direction, I would assume that they spotted the ball where the muff was recovered. The Back Judge should had whistled the ball dead when the muff was recovered by the kicking team. It should have been “1st and 10” for Kent State and the spot where the muff was recovered. It is not a fumble though!

15. SexnNursinHomes
    6:35 am August 31, 2012 Permalink

Thanks to Franklin and Mrs TT. What an awesome day of ul hate. Probably the best hate day ever. Kudos to the gang of KSR. Gonna be hard to top that one.

16. barn
    7:14 am August 31, 2012 Permalink

that was fun. what can we hate next?

17. BPsycho
    7:20 am August 31, 2012 Permalink

#16 **** Kent State.

18. Kidnut
    7:49 am August 31, 2012 Permalink

The game was tied at seven all -aaah aaah all, when Andre found he had the ball, he made a connection in the other direction and the crowd started shouting out interjections…Interjections!

19. SexnNursinHomes
    8:15 am August 31, 2012 Permalink

17- haha. trying to muster up the hate now. Quick get me something to work with….

20. henry earl
    8:17 am August 31, 2012 Permalink

18 to the tune of what

21. Kidnut
    8:28 am August 31, 2012 Permalink

It is from a Schoolhouse Rock song, think the 3rd or 4th verse

22. UL2UK8
    8:41 am August 31, 2012 Permalink

Now UK needs a win in the football game after a great #louisvillehateday!

23. Blueneck
    8:58 am August 31, 2012 Permalink

I don’t know where they spotted the ball on the Kent St play but according to rule it would be where he gained possession. He is not allowed to advance the ball but considering he went the wrong way it wasn’t really “advancing.”
    Why were the other two fools tackling him? They should have at least let him get inside the ten.

24. Kidnut
    9:05 am August 31, 2012 Permalink

I like to think they Kent St. guy was trying to pull a Tecmo Bowl Bo Jackson and run out the quarter himself on that single play.

25. GummyBear
    9:13 am August 31, 2012 Permalink

Re: Kent St.. I agree, the guys tackling and the guys blocking were just as ignorant to the situation. It would have been funnier and made more sense if his own guy drilled him.

26. tennesseewildcat
    9:15 am August 31, 2012 Permalink

To further put the exclamation point on Louisville Hate Day, my wife was watching Project Runway and Gunnar Deatherage, representing Loserville, finished last in the competition. Hats off to Louisville for representing Kentucky, not!

27. RYNO
    9:20 am August 31, 2012 Permalink

26) If “your wife was watching PR”, how come YOU know the results? Why not say my wife and I were watching Project Runway, because even if it wasn’t your decision to change the channel to it, you still decided to stick around and find out who won. MANHOOD-FAIL!!!

28. Head Bussa
    9:42 am August 31, 2012 Permalink

Regarding Dez Wells, what Friday deadline are you referring to Drew? I was under the impression that he had until the schools’ 12th day of classes to register and be able to play this school year. That was what Goodman discussed and Kentucky’s 12th day of classes isn’t until next Friday.

29. the anti cat
    9:54 am August 31, 2012 Permalink

Hey j-load, I am sure Deon Brabch would show you his 2 rings with his superbowl mvp trophy if you are interested. How heavy was that clipboard you held anyway?

30. notv
    11:08 am August 31, 2012 Permalink

Not to nitpick, and I understand that Kentucky fans don’t much understand the rules of this “football” thing, but a recovered muffed punt is a dead ball on recovery…

31. rooterdaddy
    11:23 am August 31, 2012 Permalink

vandy got away with blatant pass interference on potential D.L. Moore catch in 1st half. home-cooking on 25 sec. clock. officials were semi-imcompetant: both teams suffered as a result.all in all, if Matthews gets PI call, vandy still has to score TD to win. iffy very iffy…

32. Chicago Chris
    12:17 pm August 31, 2012 Permalink

#27 Because his wife told him the results. Sheesh.

33. Kidnut
    3:33 pm August 31, 2012 Permalink

Why is it called a ball if it isn’t a ball?