Louisville exists, ranked No. 1 in 2013 Top Travel Destinations

You won’t have to leave the Bluegrass if you’re looking to visit the No. 1 city in Lonely Planet’s Top Travel Destinations for 2013.  Louisville, KY claimed the top spot in the rankings, thanks to the Kentucky Derby, its hip bourbon scene, fine dining and emerging East Market District.  CNN called Louisville the new Portland — whatever that means.

The top ranking is something Mayor Greg Fischer should be very proud of, along with his Chinese and Mexican people.

Don’t let Charlie Strong see this.  Knoxville is so much nicer this time of year.

Article written by Drew Franklin

54 Comments for Louisville exists, ranked No. 1 in 2013 Top Travel Destinations

1. BleedRed
    12:05 pm December 5, 2012 Permalink

Is this show not done in Louisville?

2. Han
    12:06 pm December 5, 2012 Permalink

Seems a ranking more befitting “Linebeard Planet’s Top Travel Destinations”

3. J bruce
    12:07 pm December 5, 2012 Permalink

Destination for everyone except the NBA. Smh

4. BobKYCats
    12:09 pm December 5, 2012 Permalink

I grew up in Southeastern KY, but now live and work in the Louisville area, and there’s more to this city than linebeards, 15-second coaches, and thugs. I’m happy to see the city get this ranking.

5. Delk for 3
    12:14 pm December 5, 2012 Permalink

This city could make huge step forward if it added a light rail transit system.

6. JKUK
    12:15 pm December 5, 2012 Permalink

Hey now, I live in Lousiville. It’s a nice place.

7. timsypher
    12:16 pm December 5, 2012 Permalink

Don’t forget to stop at my favorite restaurant Porcinis

8. hotdogs
    12:17 pm December 5, 2012 Permalink

louisville would be a great city if louisville fans didnt live there

9. iwent20onsypher
    12:23 pm December 5, 2012 Permalink

^
    this

10. We R UK
    12:23 pm December 5, 2012 Permalink

#5) That’s a great idea, but who would pay for it? Maybe UL could give up some of the cash they are “stealing” from having control over the YUM Center.

11. Echo 1
    12:29 pm December 5, 2012 Permalink

Highlands. Enough said.

12. hater
    12:32 pm December 5, 2012 Permalink

Im from this god awful city and i know this is a stretch…like a mr.gadget stretch….

13. Chris
    12:32 pm December 5, 2012 Permalink

I don’t understand the hate for the city of Louisville. There is a difference between hating a school and hating a city. It’s a great place. Anyone who speaks poorly of it hasn’t been there and has probably been sheltered their whole lives at grandpappy’s farm.

14. Chris
    12:33 pm December 5, 2012 Permalink

#12 – Move. We won’t miss you.

15. BlueFins
    12:34 pm December 5, 2012 Permalink

Is this, ahem, lady really as old as she looks or did the meth eat her teeth?

16. You Can't Trust These People
    12:36 pm December 5, 2012 Permalink

You can’t trust these sorts of things. They also recently voted Owensboro as the best place
    to raise a family. *laughing* Owensboro!!!

17. umm
    12:36 pm December 5, 2012 Permalink

Obviously the people who wrote that article didn’t get farther than 6th street!

18. Joe
    12:36 pm December 5, 2012 Permalink

This city could make huge step forward if it added a light rail transit system

It would be as profitable as the Yum Center. Light Rail is a boondoggle. Sure it’s not sports related, but neither was the first comment.

19. NBA league pass
    12:36 pm December 5, 2012 Permalink

5) like Ogdenville and North Haverbrook?

20. Stevie Johnson
    12:39 pm December 5, 2012 Permalink

Why so serious people? Posts like this are jokes, lighten up. “All the hate” is really just sarcastic comedy. Plus mentioning Louisville is good for clicks. Not only do the UK fans comment, but all the trolls do too. You guys aren’t too bright.

21. john
    12:40 pm December 5, 2012 Permalink

Well said #13. The way KSR repeatedly bashes the CITY of Louisville is stupid and childish and they need to stop. Many, many UK fans are proud Louisville natives and love the city, myself being one of them. If you can’t separate the city from the university, I don’t know what to tell you. Outside of UK events and Keeneland, Lexington kinda blows once you’re out of college. Lexington is a great college town, but Louisville is a great city.

22. Joke
    12:43 pm December 5, 2012 Permalink

Some people just can’t take me. Here’s looking at you, 1, 4, 6, 13 and 21. Talk about thin-skinned.

23. Monorail
    12:44 pm December 5, 2012 Permalink

19. Is there a chance the track could bend?

24. Keith Stone
    12:50 pm December 5, 2012 Permalink

I’m sure many of you have seen this before, but this is what it means to be a Louisville fan. If not I think it’s a must read and I have no idea where it came from. I hope you enjoy, stay classy Louisville. Always Smooth.

I asked a friend once, not long ago, “What does the University of Louisville mean to you?” He stopped, peered westward to a setting sun, and briefly pondered the unlimited boundaries of this unrestricted question.
    “Well, my friend, since you asked…It means, having a chip on your shoulder. It means drowning in a sea of discontent. It means not getting accepted into UK. It means failing to grasp the meaning of sports. It means failing to grasp the meaning of life. It means growing and maintaining a line-beard that is perfectly symmetrical and no more than 1.4” in width. It means playing on Thursday nights and coordinating Black Outs, White Outs, and Affliction Outs. It means driving a Chevy Cavalier with an Acura logo and Eurolights. It means taking road trips to places like Piscataway, NJ and Storrs, CT and pretending to be excited about it.

It means caring more about UK’s affairs than those of your own. It means painting a beak on your face. It means obeying the word of Tom Jurich, bowing before his eminence and not taking his name in vain. It means hosting a UK call-in show one year, then a UofL one the next. It means being fat. It means tailgaiting in an asphalt abyss surrounded by the ruins of the industrial revolution. It means Edgar f-ing Sosa. It means ironing your flat bill every morning. It means commuting from your parents’ house every day. It means ugly girls who look like Mr. Kool-Aid in a sundress. It means how my shit smells. It means somewhere in your life, you were touched inappropriately by an uncle in a UK hat. It means having a KCTCS campus with a Big East affiliation. It means wearing Curve. It means cargo jean shorts. It means not getting ‘it.’ It means playing cornhole at tailgates, and craps too.

It means a glorified sense of entitlement normally reserved for narcissists and teenage girls. It means getting more enjoyment out of being the loud minority than you do from sports. It means supporting a coach who cheats on his wife, takes care of pregnancies and arranges marriages between crazy whores and school employees in an effort to save face. It means bringing Crown Royal to a tailgate. It means putting your “L’s” up. It means C-A-R-D-S Cards. Seriously, what the hell is that? It means playing the National Anthem (Feat. Lil’ John and Ludacris). It means clever nicknames like T-Will, Sam-Sam, and E5. It means getting tasered at graduation.
    It means a Papa John’s football stadium and a Pizza Hut basketball arena. It means Ron Cooper. It means you don’t even know who that is which means you just proved my point. It means L-yes, L-no, L-ton John, and shut the L-up. It means being a whitehead on the ass of a greater cause. It means wearing jerseys with “The Ville” and embarrassing an entire state. It means having less class than Jackson Co. Schools in the winter. It means picking your nose, and eating it. It means asking for seconds. It means looking at yourself in the mirror and hating what you see. That, my friend, is what UahL means to me. Does that about cover it?”

25. JQ
    12:54 pm December 5, 2012 Permalink

16 I could not agree more with you OWENSBORO! Give me a break!

26. BPsycho
    12:54 pm December 5, 2012 Permalink

” CNN called Louisville the new Portland ”

Lol

27. john
    12:57 pm December 5, 2012 Permalink

#22: I understand it’s a joke, but I don’t see the humor in it when it’s the same lame joke regurgitated time and time again. It gets old. It doesn’t upset me at all, but I do think it makes KSR lose a tiny bit of credibility. And I realize KSR is not meant to be taken as a legitimate news source, but that’s beside the point. If we are big brother let’s leave the childish and misguided insults to the Card fans.

28. mr. truth
    1:06 pm December 5, 2012 Permalink

Louisville is the new Portland? Isn’t Portland the captial of suicide? Makes sense.

29. #27
    1:08 pm December 5, 2012 Permalink

How can BBN be Big Brother… when they hire little brothers?

30. barn
    1:10 pm December 5, 2012 Permalink

27-if they didn’t come on here and insult UK fans then we could leave the childish and misguided insults to the tard fans. they’re only getting what they deserve

31. Joke
    1:10 pm December 5, 2012 Permalink

27 I understand but you are probably in the minority of not seeing the humor here. I think KSR is catering to the masses, not worried about a few in the minority. Childish and misguided insults are just a part of what makes this site so entertaining, and it’s growing popularity shows that they are doing something right. I am from western KY and I have friends that live in L’ville and I visit often. I think it’s an okay city, but I can laugh at little jabs at it…just as easily as I can laugh at any jabs anyone takes at my hometown, Madisonville. Go ahead, make fun of it, it’s okay, I’m an adult, I can take it.

32. Wild Blue
    1:11 pm December 5, 2012 Permalink

Travel destination, maybe, but would not want to live there.

33. The Stain on Sypher's dress
    1:13 pm December 5, 2012 Permalink

Nothing wrong with the city of Louisville. Louisville is a lovely city. Louisville fans however, lol.

34. Pitino's broke condom
    1:17 pm December 5, 2012 Permalink

@ 33

Louisville is the crime and welfare captial of Kentucky. How is that lovely.

35. Jughead
    1:18 pm December 5, 2012 Permalink

Lexington is for old folks. Louisville is for lovers.

36. Rockfield, KY
    1:24 pm December 5, 2012 Permalink

Finally, at the age of 29, I went out in Louisville and didn’t have a miserable time. I went to Bardstown Rd., St. Matthews, and stayed with a friend at the Willow, which was really nice. It definitely changed my opinion of the city. But I’ll NEVER go back downtown if I can help it. It’s disgusting, the people are trash, and its dangerous.

37. Sypher's baby in Heaven
    1:26 pm December 5, 2012 Permalink

I’ve never heard of Louisville.

38. RUFNSerious?
    1:27 pm December 5, 2012 Permalink

CNN is FN CRAZY! That is literally the worst comparison of ANYTHING I have ever seen in my entire life. I have lived in the rat-hole Louisville and visited, many times, Portland (the most beautiful city I’ve ever seen). CNN just compared a 1982 Chevy Impala to a 2013 Tesla Roadster. I see why their ratings SUCK!

39. Kevin C.
    1:27 pm December 5, 2012 Permalink

It’s funny that they call the ‘Ville “the new Portland”…and Portland is an annexed suburb of Louisville.

But yeah…if you’ve got vacation time to use, and $$ to spend, and you choose Louisville over all other possible destinations…you should just stay home.

40. Tom S.
    1:35 pm December 5, 2012 Permalink

I disagree. I see why Louisville would be a great place to visit.

1. The women there are easy. Bring them some pills or weed, you get laid.

2. There is a liquor store every other block. Easy to get drunk.

3. The West End and the majority of the south end is full of drug dealers. If getting high is your thing, easy to find your stuff.

41. read headed step child
    1:35 pm December 5, 2012 Permalink

@24, you left out free cheese lines, lottery tickets, TARC and food stamps.

42. LMAO
    1:36 pm December 5, 2012 Permalink

#24, now that there is funny! I don’t care who you are, that there is funny!!!

43. RUFNSerious?
    1:37 pm December 5, 2012 Permalink

I mean REALLY?!!! I can’t get over this. Louisville has the overpowering stench (a combination of hog feces, blood and burnt bacon) of “Butchertown” and Portland has the International Rose Garden. This is CNN’s dumbass comparison in a nutshell.

44. buk
    1:47 pm December 5, 2012 Permalink

The city of Louisville has its faults, no doubt. But NuLu, Bardstown Rd/highlands, and the bourbon culture are all things a lot of other cities don’t have. Your typical KSR reader may not care about that stuff but a lot of people do.

45. wakecat
    1:53 pm December 5, 2012 Permalink

I’m from Lexington, but have lived my adult life in Louisville, and find it to be a great city. Tons of excellent local restaurants, cool pubs and bars, and far mre cultural things to do than the rest of the State. Anyone who puts the city down because they don’t like the Cards has not taken the time to check it out, or only gone to a UK v. U of L game and seen the U of L fans.

#24, that is from an old post by a former writer on this site.

#34 Louisville provides a significant tax base to the State and pays far more than it gets back from Frankfort. So, to the rest of the State, you’re welcome. Also, the per capita crime rate in Eastern Kentucky (mostly through presricption pill sale and abuse) ranks right up there with Lousiville’s poorer sections.

46. Karl Hungus
    2:37 pm December 5, 2012 Permalink

#23: not on your life, my hindu friend.

47. Bgcat
    2:39 pm December 5, 2012 Permalink

Is that a tip jar?

48. BamBam
    2:40 pm December 5, 2012 Permalink

I think the most disturbing thing about this picture…she has a tip bucket out.

49. CAUKFAN
    3:43 pm December 5, 2012 Permalink

I went to a conference in Louisville once. Get a couple blocks away from the conference center and it was scary. Wouldn’t want to be walking around there at night, that’s for sure.

50. Mike Marra
    4:22 pm December 5, 2012 Permalink

Love this pic of my mom

51. ok so
    4:37 pm December 5, 2012 Permalink

not like downtown lex is very nice lol

52. Bobbum man
    4:38 pm December 5, 2012 Permalink

Born and raised and currently living in louisville but attended college in Lexington as someone else said Lexington is a great college town but that’s about it… I love and always have loved living in louisville and yeah any big city is going to have rough parts of town everyone talks bout the nice parts of Portland, guarantee u the bad parts of Portland are far worse than those in louisville

53. BleedRed
    5:42 pm December 5, 2012 Permalink

#24. Are you really going to put “caring more about UK’s affairs than your own” in a thread about Ul on a UK site? Silly UK fans just don’t get it.

54. Nope
    7:44 pm December 5, 2012 Permalink

52- Nope. The bad parts of Portland are still above average. No slums, abandoned factories, etc.. The good parts are like some kind of freakin’ eden. Been all over and if I ever moved anywhere else it would be Portland, or the the surrounding 300 mile perimeter.