Lou Gehrig’s Saturday Night Post

gehrigx-large

On this day in 1923, the great New York Yankee debuted as a pinch runner. The Iron Horse spent his entire 17 year career with the New York ball club, playing in more than 2,000 games. He batted an astonishing .340 for his career, and became one of the best power hitters in the history of the game, and one of the best 1st baseman of all time.

His career was tragically cut short by ALS, better known as “Lou Gehrig’s disease.” It forced him out of the game against his will, and while he still had plenty left in the tank at 36 years-old. Over a 15-year span he played in 2,130 consecutive games, a streak which only ended with his retirement from the game, and led to one of the most famous quotes in all of sport.

Gehrig is a hero in the game of baseball and the game of life. And the Legend began on this day 90 years ago.

On to the notes!

— Another football commitment for Mark Stoops, another spot higher on the Rivals 2014 team rankings board. Kentucky is up to the No. 2 class, just behind Texas A&M. By this point, you know UK football isn’t messing around on the recruiting trail, but that doesn’t mean it’s not worth repeating. It might not hold up once the five-stars pick their schools, but it will not fall off by much. Kentucky will have its best class ever when it is all said and done.

— That commitment was from three-star defensive tackle Adrian Middleton from South Warren in Bowling Green. The 6-4, 275 lb. DT chose the Cats over Louisville, who was presumed to be his leader. He is the fifth-best prospect in the state.

— Coach Calipari took to Twitter this afternoon to toot his own horn. Because why not? He dropped the bomb on why kids want to come to Kentucky. And there is truly nothing anybody can say about it. Because he is king of the college basketball world.

You want to know why players are picking Kentucky? Here’s what I think: Their families trust us with their child. They know we’re about education and they know we’re going to do what we say. They know we have their child’s interest on the forefront of our minds. It’s players first. Players know they are going to get better on and off the court … and if they work hard and play for their teammates, they can reach their potential and their dreams. Lastly, we’re not trying to recruit kids to our style of play. We’re recruiting kids to try to do everything we can to make them better. It’s more about them being the best player they can be than playing a certain style. All of our players get better, and that’s what they’re looking for. Bottom line, they know our #SuccessRate.

— Jarrod Polson, being the wholesome, kind young whippersnapper that he is, allowed the future Kentucky point guard, Andrew Harrison, to have his jersey No. 5. We now know that Polson will change to No. 3 next season. A number that has been worn most recently by Terrence Jones and Nerlens Noel.

There has been a No. 3 on each Kentucky team since 2005, starting with Brandon Stockton, then Ramel Bradley, Kevin Galloway, Darnell Dodson, Jones, and Noel. Glad to see it being picked up by Polson.

— Nerlens Noel’s ACL rehab is ahead of schedule, and he says he hopes to return by the holidays:

“I’m feeling good. I’m still ahead of schedule with the things that I’m doing. It’s usually about a seven- to eight-month injury timeline to returning. I’m just taking steps to get back. From when I got surgery, eight months would be probably around Christmas. It’s probably November to Christmas. There’s no rush. I’m just trying to get back.”

— Indiana vs. Kentucky All-Stars played a second game today following the 54-point blowout last night. Kentucky made it more respectable this time around, losing to Indiana 84-77. Kentucky freshman Dominique Hawkins finished with 33 points.

— Speaking of Hawkins, he had quite the quote for us to digest, with quite the compliment for the squad. He said of the talent in the group, “I can’t really describe. I want to say … we’re like superheroes.” There is plenty more from Adam Himmelsbach at the Courier-Journal.

— Louisville baseball fell to Indiana in game two of the College World Series. The Cardinals were shut out by Hoosiers starter Joey DeNato 2-0. He threw 136 pitches, surrendering just 4 hits and getting 8 strikeouts. Louisville will fall to the losers bracket of the double-elimination tournament.

Article written by Stuart Hammer

B.S. Broadcast Journalism from the University of Kentucky. @StuartHammerKSR

17 Comments for Lou Gehrig’s Saturday Night Post

1. KJ
    12:06 am June 16, 2013 Permalink

Had Rivals added Tyre Brady’s commitment earlier (they still haven’t added him), then we would’ve been #1. BUT, Texas jumped up so now we can only go back up to #2. Unless somebody else commits very soon.

2. diehardbigbluefan
    12:39 am June 16, 2013 Permalink

My former boss who I admired greatly had a mom who died from this terrible disease called Lou Gerhrig’s disease. When it happened, I could feel his pain. I am happy he has moved on in his life. And I will always admire him for what he had to go thru when he was suffering from this event…

I am also happy Nerlen Noel’s rehab is going strong and is ahead of schedule! Unbelievable!! And UK has the #2 Football recruiting class in the country!!!!! Wow! UK is Rocking! GO CATS!!!!

3. Lil c
    12:43 am June 16, 2013 Permalink

I just left Churchhill Down a few minutes ago. The entire UL football team was there. Let me just say, they are giants!!! I hate UL, but I ain’t gonna lie, they were some big boys!!! Two of then we’re drinking beer!! I talked to one guy, he said he will be a pro next year. He plays defensive end. I believe it!! The kids a monster!! You don’t realize just how big these kids are until you stand next to them. I know UK has some studs as well. It should be a great game at Commonwealth this fall. I also saw Russ Smith ( barely 5’11) !! I also saw Gorgi Deings replacement. Dude is exactly 6’10, but I bet he doesn’t weigh 180lbs!!! We are gonna sh$# roll the Cards in bball this year. Anyway, that was my night. Just thought I’d share some thoughts. Go Cats!!!

4. Scooby
    12:45 am June 16, 2013 Permalink

1) that’s incorrect… Tyre Bradys commitment wasn’t taken by the staff. They have bigger fish on the line before he is a take…. Blake Bone, TV Williams, Derek Kief, Braxton Berrios, Artavis Scott…. Those are 5 4-star guys that are ahead of him… UK isn’t going to take his commitment any time soon…

5. Secretaiat Fan
    12:55 am June 16, 2013 Permalink

When I saw Landon Young in picture and his commitment to UK, and his accomplishments, I was blown away. It makes me think of Secretariat!

6. Whoa
    1:35 am June 16, 2013 Permalink

5. You might not have meant anything by it but you have to realize how weird it is what you said about a 15 year old no matter your age or gender. Pump your breaks

3. We can’t match them as physical specimens in football but we will have a bunch of true ballers that will out heart Louisville if we are to win.

7. Kev
    2:21 am June 16, 2013 Permalink

Polson wears Nerlens’ #3….ironically Nerlens held up Polson’s jersey during his announcement. Hmmmmmm. Lol

8. [email protected]
    2:59 am June 16, 2013 Permalink

3… how did their wieners taste?

9. [email protected]
    3:00 am June 16, 2013 Permalink

weiners^^^

10. [email protected]
    3:03 am June 16, 2013 Permalink

dammit

11. dave
    4:28 am June 16, 2013 Permalink

3-dude’s clearly trolling (badly). “he said he will be a pro next year… i believe him!!”
    & russ smith is a legit 6’1.

12. dsparklender
    7:14 am June 16, 2013 Permalink

felt really weird puling for a dang hoosier but thank Goodness the University of Linebeards lost to keep their tongues in check for a few days……GO CATS

13. UK Freshmen
    8:03 am June 16, 2013 Permalink

‘We are like super heroes’.

Wow. Humble much?

14. Yep
    8:10 am June 16, 2013 Permalink

We’re the only SEC school that has never been to the College World Series. It’s time to man up, get there…and win this thing. No more mid-season flops and no more excuses.

15. UK Freshmen
    8:37 am June 16, 2013 Permalink

Humble like me, correct? Bahaaaaaaa!

16. Matt M
    9:01 am June 16, 2013 Permalink

Rex Chapman wore #3 too!

17. Newt
    12:18 pm June 16, 2013 Permalink

Agreed, D. Hawkins….I’ve been going with “The New Avengers” as soon as Randle committed. Remember me when the name catches on…you know, unless Marvel/Stan Lee want to sue.