Lots of seats available in LP Field

We’re less than a week away from Kentucky’s season opener against Western Kentucky in Nashville and there are still LOTS of seats available for the gameTodd Stewart, WKU’s senior associate athletic director, told the Bowling Green Daily News that he foresees a smaller crowd than what everyone had hoped for.

“Really, the only barometer we had to go by was when Louisville played Middle Tennessee in Nashville in 2006, and that game drew 32,797,” Stewart told the Bowling Green newspaper. “We were hoping to draw in that neighborhood. As of right now, it doesn’t look like we’ll reach that goal.”

UK announced today that lower tickets are still available through the university for a very affordable $43 a piece. Contact the UK Ticket Office at 1(800) 928-2287 if you’re interested.

Big Blue Nation usually fills Nashville for any UK event, but I guess a 9:15 PM kickoff on a Thursday night is tough for many people to pull off. Hopefully we can fill at least the lower half of LP Field to give the teams a loud reception in the season opener.

Go Cats.

Article written by Drew Franklin

41 Comments for Lots of seats available in LP Field

1. KYStout
    11:25 am August 26, 2011 Permalink

9:15 on a Thursday night? That’s just plain dumb folks.

2. UKfanNKY
    11:26 am August 26, 2011 Permalink

We will be there!!! Wednesday night out on the town partying and game Thursday night!!!! Nashville is a great town for partying and the BIG BLUE NATION will be everywhere!!! LP is a great venue, so if you wanna have fun and cheer the CATS on be there or be square!!!! RISE!!!

3. average fan
    11:27 am August 26, 2011 Permalink

I wish there was a way to get my body hair under control…

4. UKfanNKY
    11:27 am August 26, 2011 Permalink

8:15 Nasville time!!

5. Nick Papageorgio
    11:28 am August 26, 2011 Permalink

Taking Friday off, will be at the game and then a 4 day bender in Nashville!

6. me
    11:36 am August 26, 2011 Permalink

If it was against a team that is even SLIGHTLY competitive it would be worth going. But it will be a blowout.

7. simon brazinski
    11:37 am August 26, 2011 Permalink

hey guys i live in nashville and anyone can stay at my house! I love brett favre!

8. it's a me, Mario
    11:40 am August 26, 2011 Permalink

Gotta recommend the Bourbon street Blues and Boogie bar in Nashville. Went there this summer and it was possibly the most fun I’ve had at a bar with live music. The music’s loud though, so dont’ go expecting a quiet drink. Also, I believe they switch musicians around frequently, so don’t blame me if it sucks this weekend. Give it a try though if you like blues at all.

9. Ben Dycus
    11:43 am August 26, 2011 Permalink

Yea guys! And guess what? I like to poop my pants!

10. brownie
    11:45 am August 26, 2011 Permalink

$43 an affordable price? It costs LESS than that per ticket to sit ten rows up in the Upper Level of Commonwealth and watch UK Play SEC teams. Not to mention the gas getting to and from Nashville. Get real, Drew!

11. shadowboxer
    11:49 am August 26, 2011 Permalink

It makes absolutely no sense to have this game in Nashville. Uk plays there every January as it is and this game isn’t even a bowl. No one should be surprised if the crowd is small. It should have been in Lexington.

12. golfcat22
    11:53 am August 26, 2011 Permalink

this is what happens when the suits at espn rule the world and try to reinvent the wheel. why isn’t this game at commonwealth? you’d have another sellout and a cool thursday nite kickoff game. you got a supposed cupcake game and try to sell seats to a game 3 hrs from campus. DUH!

13. Dan From Fully House
    11:57 am August 26, 2011 Permalink

Hey, here’s a random plug…follow me on Twitter, just started….RantsNYourPants. I promise you’ll laugh

14. john
    11:58 am August 26, 2011 Permalink

#12- This game had nothing to do with ESPN. It comes out of UK having difficulty scheduling teams to play one game at UK (with no return) for a reasonable fee. WKU wasn’t going to agree to come to UK three years in a row. So this situation arose out of difficulty scheduling. The problem with this game is its a Thursday night game. Too far for UK faithful to travel on a week day for a less that interesting opponent.

But really disappointed in the showing from Bowling Green and Western Ky, where are those fans?

15. It's a Celebration
    12:01 pm August 26, 2011 Permalink

9:15 on a Thursday night, $43 ticket, high gas prices and most people probably have to work the next day. Whoever planned this was a moron.

16. Cat Toe
    12:02 pm August 26, 2011 Permalink

It’s not dumb. Nashville is on Central time and the game is at 8:15 central time.

17. UKfootballgirl
    12:14 pm August 26, 2011 Permalink

The fact that it is on a Thursday and is so far away hurts big time. If it was being played at UK it would be close enough to make after work from NKY. And tell me why 2 KENTUCKY teams are playing in Tennessee anyway? We actually are going to Nashville for the UK vs Vandy game later in the year but its on a Saturday and easier to get to in time.

18. RandallCobbisdeadtome
    12:20 pm August 26, 2011 Permalink

15 hit it square on the head, but failed to mention that it’s in a city where the locals DO NOT CARE, so forget any Nashvillian attendance (except for Kentucky ex-pats).

19. UKfanNKY
    12:23 pm August 26, 2011 Permalink

Hey #17 we are from NKY as well and we are going!! Step up and take a couple of days off work and cheer the CATS on!!! RISE!!! Ha, I understand j/k. As for playing in TN both teams came to a contactual agreement to play each other the next four yrs. alternating each yr. I belive they thought Nashville would be a bigger draw than @ Western’s home field. Nashville is a fun city though. GO CATS!!!

20. wow
    12:24 pm August 26, 2011 Permalink

who cares what time it is in nashville? people will have to drive back to lexington that night and will be back in eastern time… this would go down as one of the dumbest scheduling ideas in kentucky history if it was against a memorable opponent (another reason why no one cares)

as a student at uk who doesn’t have the money to burn and a 9 am class that next morning, i’ll be skipping this one

21. KyTom
    12:28 pm August 26, 2011 Permalink

#8, if Jackie Wilson is singing there…..It will be GREAT!!

22. DonnyBaker
    12:29 pm August 26, 2011 Permalink

This was a planning fiasco from the word “go”.
    Having the game in Nashville on a Saturday night would have been a fantastic idea. Unfortunately, everyone forgot to check with Tennessee State University, who has a contract with the city to hold their home games at LP Field. Just so happens, they have a home game scheduled at 6pm on Sept. 3rd.
    Next best option was to move the game to Thursday night and hope for TV coverage.

23. Nick Papageorgio
    12:42 pm August 26, 2011 Permalink

14 – As a Western Kentuckian myself, I am also disappointed in the lack of draw from this part of the state. The only reason I am going to this game is b/c it’s in Nashville. You would think other WKYians would think the same thing…

24. Calipari'sInYourEar
    1:10 pm August 26, 2011 Permalink

#16 – Cat Toe – If they only sell 1/2 of the stadium out and less than 32,000 they expected then it is dumb.

That game could have been played in Commonwealth drawing 70,000+.

You do the math.

25. Crawman
    1:14 pm August 26, 2011 Permalink

I am going,
    I won’t get home until 1:30am
    and will have to get up at 6:30am
    to take my daughter to school.
    So if you don’t wont to go, you
    will find a excuse regardless of the time, etc.

No Excuses for me, i am there.

26. Calipari'sInYourEar
    1:18 pm August 26, 2011 Permalink

Then we get to the whole “we have to charge these high ticket prices to pay for the other sports” line from UK Athletics.

Well, if your planning wasn’t being done by Big Bird, then maybe you wouldn’t have to charge so much to reach the bottom line (let alone the additional costs of renting the stadium, transporting the team down, etc, etc). There is no way UK will make the same amount of money they could with this game being held @ Commonwealth. Probably a million dollar swing from one direction to the other (+ to -).

27. bung
    1:21 pm August 26, 2011 Permalink

Ditch Mitch….hire Pratt

28. Calipari'sInYourEar
    1:25 pm August 26, 2011 Permalink

Next year when ticket prices go up again, UK should put a little asterisk on the edge of the ticket stating:

The University had to raise ticket prices this year because Big Bird does our scheduling.

29. bung
    1:26 pm August 26, 2011 Permalink

Lets get 2 Kentucky teams and play in Tennessee….that should fill up the place…

30. UKfootballgirl
    1:34 pm August 26, 2011 Permalink

#19… I would love to go and I personally am actually off next Thursday and Friday but my dad doesnt have anymore time off work because he is using his last day for the Friday before Vandy. My dad is my ballgame buddy and I could not go to a game without him knowing he was at home watching it alone. Ever since I got him into football we watch EVERY game together. So I am going to be watching the game with him and cheering them on. We are doing one Away game a year Tennessee last year and Vandy this. We do have season tickets and will be at every home game!

31. Doug H
    1:41 pm August 26, 2011 Permalink

Agree with #11. Why did they not look at invading “Dirty Bird Field” and have it close to both WKU & UK? Change the dates if needed for Charlie’s Angels.

32. Ben
    1:44 pm August 26, 2011 Permalink

In this economy, with a family and kids, this trip is out! If I was still single, then hell yes!!

33. DHo
    2:03 pm August 26, 2011 Permalink

Last week I finally decided to go. Went to the UK Athletic website which directed me to Ticketmaster where I got three seats on the 50 yard line, UK’s side, for $50 each…. and there were plenty left in that section.. 10 freakin’ days before the game! I’m excited to get those seats but WOW.

34. Irene
    2:47 pm August 26, 2011 Permalink

This is what happens when barnfart and Brooks change the date of the UL UK game instead of it being the first game. This could have been a Thursday night Game at commonwealth UL UK and the prime game on ESPN but no we had to screw that up. I couldn’t even imagine how wild a Thursday night game in commonwealth would be especially for UL and with two keys after Lexington would have been wild.

35. Jaws2
    2:59 pm August 26, 2011 Permalink

I predicted there would be less than 40,000 for this game. Why? The economy, Thursday night, and the sagging football fan base. Last year was a huge disappointment in the SEC, ended with a horrible loss to PITT, and I know a lot of long time ( 30+ years )fans that are just tired of hearing the same thing every year about being competitive in the SEC blah blah blah.

It’s time we actually do ‘turn the corner’.

36. Ukalltheway
    6:17 pm August 26, 2011 Permalink

You guys sounds like whiny assholes

37. WKU hilltopper
    10:48 pm August 26, 2011 Permalink

If you’re a UK fan or from Kentucky in general, then it shouldn’t matter where, when, or what time this game is being played. Big deal its late? Who cares? You have a three day weekend afterwards, catch up on your sleep then. If you want to whine about this game then maybe you shouldn’t be a fan in the first place.
    The game is being played in Nashville because WKU didn’t want to play in Lexington for 3 years straight and who blames them? However, WKU’s stadium isn’t big enough to hold a capacity crowd so they chose to play in Nashville, which is only 30-45 minutes from Bowling Green.

38. Cale Barr
    3:26 am August 27, 2011 Permalink

This is not Barnhardt. This is WKU all the way. This is there home game.

39. droppedpasses
    6:06 am August 27, 2011 Permalink

I would pay $43, drive 3 hours in any direction from Lexington, and do it all on a Thursday night if…we played Marshall, West Virginia, UVA, etc. No interest in doing any of the aforementioned to see us play WKU, EKU, MTSU, etc. In full disclosure, if it were not for tailgating, I would rather watch higher-caliber games on TV all day than attending our non-conference games against crap teams (UL excluded).

40. Big rain
    10:22 am August 28, 2011 Permalink

Guys!.. Get tuned in.. This is part of a home and home with western. This is an away game for us, therefore playing in Commonwealth wasn’t an option. They r playing in nAShvile becAuse westerns stadium is too small. It’s being played on a Thursday because Tennessee state has first choice on the field.. And they chose saturday at 6pm.. Why they didn’t move it to Sunday or throw some cash at tennesee state to move up game time to noon and have an 8pm kickoff saturday night.. I’ll never know.

41. Uggie Gutz
    1:59 pm August 29, 2011 Permalink

I’m late to post here, but this game’s location makes no sense. Why are we taking revenue out of our state, for a game where both teams are from our state ? Make the neutral field site for an in-state season opener in Louisville next time. The game is a meaningless win for the state’s financial loss on local businesses.