Liu Xiang’s Wednesday News & Views

I’m a sucker for a good sob story. Give me Bob Costas’ voice over a soaring rendition of the Gladiator or Rudy theme and slow-mo video and I’ll root for pretty much anyone. On Tuesday, it was Liu Xiang, the Chinese track and field star who was favored to win the gold medal in the 110M hurdles. Xiang burst off the blocks and smacked his left foot into the first hurdle, re-injuring his Achilles that forced him to pull up in Beijing four years ago. He crumpled to the ground as the pain and devastating deja vu set in, but instead of accepting defeat, he got to his feet, and hopped on his one good leg toward the finish line. Once he reached the final hurdle, Xiang bent down and kissed it, a bittersweet goodbye to his gold medal dreams. After he crossed the finish line to a rousing ovation from over 80,000 spectators, Xiang’s competitors helped him hobble off the track.

Liu Xiang may not have gotten a medal, or even the royal NBC sob story treatment, but on Tuesday, he won the respect of the world. And in an Olympics that seems to be more about tape delays, endorsements, and for some reason Ryan Seacrest, that may mean more than anything.

Okay, enough sap. Let’s go over the news of the day:

— Kentucky football just can’t catch a break, can it? Tuesday morning, the University of Louisville sent out a press release saying that Kentucky was returning 2,060 of its 5,500 allotted tickets for the Governor’s Cup. Starting Wednesday morning, Louisville season ticket holders can buy the tickets, which UK was required to sell at $78 a piece, for $50. My question: why did UK return them with over three weeks left ’til kickoff? I understand not being able to cover the cost of the tickets that aren’t sold (currently that would rack up to be $156,000 if you take away UK’s fees), but why not at least attempt to sell them along with the single-game tickets, which just went on Ticketmaster Tuesday? All in all, it just goes to show that most people would choose to watch a rivalry game from the comfort of their own home than the concrete Jersey Shore-esque jungle that is Papa John’s Cardinal Stadium.

— Still want to buy tickets to a football game? You’re in luck. As previously mentioned, UK has single game tickets on sale for every home game, along with the Missouri road trip ($46 for SEC games, $41 for non-conference), along with the season ticket mini-packs. Also, oddly enough, 200 of the tickets that Kentucky returned to Louisville remain on sale through the UK ticket office for $78 a piece. I’m confused, too.

— As far as the team itself, Joker said that Tuesday was a “beautiful day” with better tempo than prior workouts, but still “not even close to where we need it to be.” Although he seemed happy to wax poetic about the weather, Joker remained tight-lipped about the QB competition. The team focused on special teams in Tuesday’s practice, and sophomore DeMarco Robinson impressed with kick returns, showing improved confidence catching the ball compared to last season. Freshman punter Landon Foster has lived up to the hype, with Joker calling him the “fastest” punter Kentucky’s had. The Cats strap on the pads Wednesday for the first time and two-a-days begin on Thursday.

— FYI: So far, all of the football players seem to be abiding by the Twitter ban. Tweet Beat could not be reached for comment.

— Congrats to Marquis Teague, who finally signed his contract with the Bulls on Tuesday. In his first year, Teague will make $857,000, or 100% of his slotted salary, which is less than the standard 120% first rounders make, but the Bulls had to make it work after signing Kirk Hinrich and Marco Belinelli. Teague’s salary will return to 120% after his first year.

Scout.com updated its 2013 recruiting rankings, and not surprisingly, the top ten looks pretty familiar:

1. Jabari Parker
2. Andrew Harrison
3. Aaron Harrison
4. Julius Randle
5. Aaron Gordon
6. Kasey Hill
7. Chris Walker
8. James Young
9. Anthony Barber
10. Rondae Jefferson

Evan Daniels calls the top eight of the 2013 class “the best top group of prospects since the 2007 class,” and yes, six of those eight are considering the Cats (Kasey Hill and Chris Walker have already committed to Florida). Drool.

— The only way the 2013 class could be more impressive is if Andrew Wiggins reclassified. On Tuesday, Wiggins’ coach Rob Fulford said that he could decide as early as next week whether or not he’ll make the jump. Regardless, Fulford also said that Huntington Prep will play two games in Lexington and Louisville next season (possibly November), which gives you plenty of time to come up with a clever chant that will persuade both Wiggins and BFF Xavier Rathan-Mayes to commit to the Cats.

— One last time in case you didn’t catch it earlier: University of Central Florida forward Keith Clanton is exploring his options after his team received a post-season ban from the NCAA last week, and UCF beat writer Greg Auman reports that he may be considering a transfer to either Kentucky or Florida State. Clanton, a 6’9″ 245 lb. senior, averaged 14.5 points and 8.1 rebounds per game last season, and along with Julius Mayes, would bring immediate experience and depth to next season’s young squad. Seem unlikely? With Cal, we’ve learned to never say never.

— What are you doing on November 29th? Watching the Cats play Notre Dame at 7 p.m. on ESPN2? Thought so.

— More trouble at the Yum! Center: after falling deeper into debt, arena officials have been forced to raid the arena renovation fund, which is reserved to make major repairs and improvements to the facility. The fund, which held a balance of over $3 million in April, has shrunk to less than $4,000 as the arena authority struggles to keep up with their debt payments. Now, US Bank, the bond trustee, signed off on the transfer since the arena hasn’t required any repairs or improvements over the past year, but it’s another troubling sign in what has spiraled into a financial crisis for the city. Don’t look for UofL to help either. When asked for a comment, Kenny Klein, U of L’s sports information director said “It’s basically their operation, and we’re just a tenant.”

That’ll do for now. The boys will be live from Hudson Toyota Chrysler in Madisonville, the hometown of Drew Franklin, in the morning, which hopefully means they’ll get to pass around Travis Ford’s freakishly small jersey. See you then.

34 Comments for Liu Xiang’s Wednesday News & Views

1. BigBluSoTru
    11:09 pm August 7, 2012 Permalink

Why are we so obssesed with the Yum center. First of all it’s not U of L’s arena (at present moment)they are the sole occupant. It’s not like the arena is going to shut down and lock them out from playing their. I think our fans beleive that is what is going to happen and we can laugh. No what Tom is doing is sitting back hoping they the arena authority can’t make their payments cause guess what U of L will own it soley then. And best beleive they got the funds in place to do it.

2. Sergeant Bilko
    11:19 pm August 7, 2012 Permalink

I would rather wear a strap-on-dildo on the outside of my clothes to church then to have to watch us lose to Louisville up there..

3. UKFANinNDcountry
    11:31 pm August 7, 2012 Permalink

I will be sitting behind Coach Brey in my finest UK shirt. Coach Brey is my neighbor. When moving here I promptly hung my UK flag. At the Coach’s for Cancer benefit this past weekend he stated that every time he goes home he has to look at that flag! Oh yes, my tickets to the game are on him!

4. ben
    11:36 pm August 7, 2012 Permalink

you can’t blame ul, they are not the idots that made this deal! it was the democrates that have been screwing us for years and they keep getting voted back in. it is the fault of all the idots that keep voting for them.

5. UL sucks
    11:44 pm August 7, 2012 Permalink

#2 I’m sorry to burst your bubble, but will sometimes lose to UL. We play them every year and Pitino is a good coach. It’s going to happen it happened even to Rupp. Uk is not UL or IU our season isn’t make or break on one game. We are after NC that’s it. IU fans think their season was great because they beat us once. UL fans think they were great because they played us close. If we lose to them it might hurt our pride but in the big pitcher they really don’t matter and that is what hurts them the most.

6. Isaac in Long Beach
    11:48 pm August 7, 2012 Permalink

I’m embarrassed to be a Kentucky Football fan today. If you want to make a statement by not going to the games, so be it. I’m not the biggest Joker fan and if I ever had the money to go to the games before, I’d probably not be going to them this year. But let’s be honest. We’re NOT not going because it’s at “the concrete Jersey Shore-esque jungle that is” PJCS. If that was the case we wouldn’t have gone to the games there that we were favored in. We’re skipping this game because we don’t wanna be in their house if they win again. I believe we CAN win, but I don’t yet believe we WILL. I live in California, but I’ll be in Louisville during the game. I could have gotten tickets if I’d wanted to go to my second UK football game ever. But no thanks, I’ll pass. If it was two years ago and I had the same opportunity, I wouldn’t have ever thought about it, I’d be going. This year though, I’ll support the team from the comfort of my friend’s Old Louisville apartment, win or lose. And I’ll keep supporting them by trying to stay positive when SEC play starts. I’ll watch every game all the way through. But I’m not gonna try and make myself feel better about being a UK Football fan by talking down the Cards stadium. That’s just childish. It’s frankly embarrassing, and I’m sad that this website is trying to put that spin on this ticket story.

7. Isaac in Long Beach
    11:49 pm August 7, 2012 Permalink

5) I think he was talking about football…

8. Thanks #5 but.....
    11:50 pm August 7, 2012 Permalink

The sad part is… I was talking about football. Then to watch us lose there in basketball? Man I would rather….. Ah forget it.. It would get deleted

9. Mark Liptak
    12:02 am August 8, 2012 Permalink

Ms. Thompson:

I don’t think the reson UK fans won’t buy the tickets is because “all in all, it just goes to show that most people would choose to watch a rivalry game from the comfort of their own home than the concrete Jersey Shore-esque jungle that is Papa John’s Cardinal Stadium.”

I simply think it’s because UK fans feel the club has little chance against UL in their stadium. Period. Just like they don’t think UK has much chance against LSU, Alabama, Florida, South Carolina anywhere.

That’s reality.

Mark Liptak

10. Fred
    12:17 am August 8, 2012 Permalink

lol #9 is delirious comparing trash city college to power houses like LSU…UK has a chance against the belk bowl runner ups, if you don’t think they have a chance you’re not much of a sports fan (rivalry, crappy school, hyped up even though proven nothing, first game of year, etc)

11. 44 Stitches
    1:20 am August 8, 2012 Permalink

@ #6… WHAT?????

Your embarrassed to be a UK fan? You state you believe we can win BUT yet don’t believe we will win????

You will also be in L’ville that weekend. It would/could/should be your 2nd UK game ever if you actually went? You can come in from LBC to L’ville but yet you aren’t going to the game and your putting fans on blast for not buying tickets? You say fans don’t want to go in case we lose but If it was 2 yrs ago and you had the same opportunity you would of gone? I hate L’ville so much that when my family reunions are there I don’t even go. I guess that jersey shore reference really hit home huh? Light switch goes on light switch goes off? You don’t know the difference do you Issac? I hope you really do live Long Beach and stray murks you.

12. Isaac in Long Beach
    3:15 am August 8, 2012 Permalink

11, for yo

13. Chompers
    6:34 am August 8, 2012 Permalink

Hey troll face, you need to worry about your sorry football coach and not uofl’s arena. I bet you are working on an ear of corn as I type.

14. putinrichie
    7:30 am August 8, 2012 Permalink

The sad thing is I would have loved to buy a group of those tickets to the UK-UL game. It’s maddening that they would give back all of these tickets without first offering them to UK fans. Even with ticket sales down, UK EASILY would have sold their allotment.

15. bleedblueky
    7:44 am August 8, 2012 Permalink

Tyler – Just FYI Liu is the last name and Xiang is the first name (I know it’s confusing but people from Mainland China prefer to do this way – the same applies to Yao Ming) 🙂

16. UL2UK8
    8:01 am August 8, 2012 Permalink

Last time UK played at UL, UL gave UK a lot of tickets that where not together. I am not sure if that is why they sent this back.

17. Eric in the mount
    8:21 am August 8, 2012 Permalink

So is it a bad thing to make $857,000 straight out of college? I’ll take that to play basketball this year. He’s making all of what he was told he’d make which is much more than almost anyone in the country. Who cares about the extra 20%?

18. Eric in the mount
    8:22 am August 8, 2012 Permalink

*everyone

19. Are ukidddin?
    8:31 am August 8, 2012 Permalink

Florida already has 2 kids from top 10 committed to play basketball next year?? Wow… Im
    An avid fan and try to follow recruiting close.. But I’m pretty busy and sometimes over a couples months I can’t follow to close.. Wow.. Reading that shocked me.. I thought they were slipping to mediocrity more and more each year… Guess not.. Hopefully they won’t get any more of top 10

20. TimeFor9
    8:50 am August 8, 2012 Permalink

1 I’ve never heard anyone on here say Yum will have to shut down and lock UofL out from playing “their”. As a matter of fact, Matt has talked on here about how UofL will own the arena if Yum can’t pay it’s bills. We talk about it bc we are perplexed as to why the officials would make such a horrible deal for the taxpayers footing the bill. Actually perplexed isn’t the right word…we know why they made that deal, we are just annoyed that they took it upon themselves to screw over taxpayers for the interest of that crappy university.

21. barn
    8:50 am August 8, 2012 Permalink

i think UK fans are not going to the ul game because we have written off the season which that game is a part of. #6–things a little foggy in there bunkie?

22. Billy's Wife
    8:51 am August 8, 2012 Permalink

yeah 20, you are so out of the loop. I even had a cake made for my husband for landing those recruits. Hey don’t judge…we don’t have much to celebrate here in FL anymore.

23. JayCee
    9:13 am August 8, 2012 Permalink

UL fan logic:

Talking about the lack of the average UK fan’s education when UL barely outranks ITT academically.

24. Mrs. Tyler Thompson
    9:18 am August 8, 2012 Permalink

16 – Look at that. You learn something new everyday. #themoreyouknow

25. Al's IndiCats
    9:24 am August 8, 2012 Permalink

Say what you will, but Jurich and his band of merry men landed one of the sweetest deals ever to be made. UofLoserville will get proceeds from EVERY concert, convention, and hog insemination that the Yum drums out. Who should be blamed is the freaking idiots that negotiated this deal for the city. But of course they were probably Loserville alums, so they thought they could get the Yum for pennies on the dollar.
    Now what the City should do (since it was built on very fragile bonds anyway)is to demand a renegotiation of said contract so that the tax payers won’t have to foot the bill. If Loserville refuses, then when the contract for basketball is up start bringing other contracts for concerts, conventions, and hog inseminations the same day that UL will play and let the Tards go back to Freedom Hall at an inflated rate…..But my guess that would be too much to ask for.

26. kevin
    11:15 am August 8, 2012 Permalink

NOT EXCITED ABOUT THE SEASON????

yeah i wouldnt come to the Louisville to watch my team lose either…. PLEASE PLEASE stay in your homes and dont poison our city with your blue.

have fun losing every game in the SEC, as you clearly always will.

27. thefactsarethefacts
    1:59 pm August 8, 2012 Permalink

You want to sell tickets then start winning games, well at least more than 5 against the bottom of the schedule, get competitive and the fans will be there. Otherwise expect some empty seats. Die Hards will always be there but if you want people to buy a product you have to generate consistent viable interest, aka, wins.

28. erlmagard
    2:00 pm August 8, 2012 Permalink

29. just saying
    3:20 pm August 8, 2012 Permalink

Thise same tickets UK was selling for $78 (the 2000 tickets they returned) are being sold by UL Athletic department for $50.

It was announced today that the 2000 tickets are available for sale at that price, so is UK just ripping us off?

30. just saying
    3:21 pm August 8, 2012 Permalink

opps…Those same tickets….

31. KevinTardForLife
    3:33 pm August 8, 2012 Permalink

27 have fun playing in Conference USA and still not even winning that. Can’t wait til the end of season when you idiots see that you didn’t go undefeated and despite all the hype, you still suck as badly as UK football does.

32. KevinTardForLife
    3:34 pm August 8, 2012 Permalink

and yes, I know you technically are not in Conference USA but for all intensive purposes, you are.

33. Isaac in Long Beach
    8:36 pm August 8, 2012 Permalink

I see my comment that was awaiting moderation never got moderated. Just to clarify: I WAS SAYING THAT UK FANS WEREN’T BUYING TICKETS BECAUSE WE DON’T THINK WE’LL WIN THE GAME.

Some of you need to work on your reading comprehension.